What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Tested out some of the new KW 5 meter rockets engines. Like the real ones, you have to hold them in launch clamps for a few seconds so they can spool up to full power. Likewise, it takes a couple of seconds for them to shut down. That giant SRB is nearly SSTO when the thrust is turned down on a small payload.

Hey Maccollo, is your new Venus lander still gonna do this?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22015656/VenusChuteManouver.gif

That is some crazy physics there.

Today my KRSS - Explorer I reached Moho and the lander landed on the ground. Bob Kerman was the first to step out and plant a flag on it.

screenshot121.png

screenshot123.png

screenshot124.png

screenshot126.png

Now I will begin the inspection of my ship and figure out where my next stop will be. I will chose the destination according to the Kerbal clock and the shortest time to depart to another planet from Moho.

The end goal is to plant a flag on every planet and moon with the same ship and the same crew (Jeb, Bill and Bob). My last destination will probably be Eve because the lander cannot go to orbit from the ground of Eve.

Today i finished the last strut KE need, and learn that moving a KAS box wiz lots of strut ends inside is far more efficient than make lots of move for taking back to position grouped strutts !!

KE Main loading bay door's closed once kethane lander was strutted

589DC2438A08606552F86FFE626091065EE58996

5241E5CF37412B281621C738F8DC54D1D4B8DBC9

KE is now ready for munar transfer test burn, fully strutted (all landers, mapsat, kethan facility and albatros, both microwaves arms and scooters, and all links between main ship and engines sections are doubled or tripled).

I dont even know if that will be enough or not for resist while rotating that 1.02 ktons !

Test after dinner :D

Today i finished the last strut KE need, and learn that moving a KAS box wiz lots of strut ends inside is far more efficient than make lots of move for taking back to position grouped strutts !!

KE Main loading bay door's closed once kethane lander was strutted

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/26216288060311143/589DC2438A08606552F86FFE626091065EE58996/

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/26216288060324936/5241E5CF37412B281621C738F8DC54D1D4B8DBC9/

KE is now ready for munar transfer test burn, fully strutted (all landers, mapsat, kethan facility and albatros, both microwaves arms and scooters, and all links between main ship and engines sections are doubled or tripled).

I dont even know if that will be enough or not for resist while rotating that 1.02 ktons !

Test after dinner :D

How much D-V (in m/s) does that have?

Hey Maccollo, is your new Venus lander still gonna do this?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22015656/VenusChuteManouver.gif

I really liked that solution, but unfortunately with the aerodynamics failure thing added to FAR that would instantly tear my lander to pieces. It also requires that I fall at terminal velocity, which induces dynamic pressure levels over 400 000, which is really close to the limit of what the stack can take before the decouplers fail.

In an attempt compensate for the lack of epic I'm landing on a well timed solid burn =P

How much D-V (in m/s) does that have?

i dont realy know, as VOID dont make a good count of sided tank.

When i test burn wiz nuke and ion, i have more than 21 km/s dV, but wizout the albatros and it ramp nor kethane facility.

A50FA69C395A66172D26CA72457AA09016C906A8

But in fact, all that stuff will maybe be unusefull as i dont know where's my CoM or my CoT, maybe that ship can't support a 10 min acceleration :D

I will see now :D

Edited by FacialJack

I decided to de-orbit and get back to KSC with one of the prototype of a lander that is currently on Moho (see my last post a page ago). Somehow I always land a little after the launchpad but it's close enough.

screenshot119.png

screenshot120.png

I'm really linking this lander, the design is just perfect and it can go pretty far by itself depending of the b9 part configuration.

I failed the Kerbol Explorer Münar transfer burn !!

18 km/s dV, plus bonus wheigt when sided tank will be eject; Nuke+ionnic, wizout the fuel in kethane facility, Albatros and landers

3814E0CBB47D2E9D31593B97A4EC60EDAFB31165

A9AB119224A8885D8D3DBB64AFA860011587727E

CA08DE47FE74312D4334E6140DE36671B12302E1

Bob's taking some rads

4D761EF0E698CACE05B558FA56D4EF31F300C2AD

I start by test rotation, and KE success easily, even a 70 rad/s emergency turn !! Kethane rear facility was close to break, but not. Need a few more struts :D, but was cool for normal 25rad/s planned turn.

But when i burn, after a cool beginning, i realize that my solar station transfer nothing (maybe cauz she's on the other side of Kerbin...) and so my ionnic burn as to stop; and KE CoM seams to be lower than CoT, due to Albatros and his fuel, which isnt plan at the beginning :D

So, Kerbol Explorer get down when i burn both engines at full power. I need to lower the trust of the upper engine section.

That's a fail, but tomorrow is another day !

EDIT: 0.70 rad/s, and 0.25 rad/s planned turn, sry

Edited by FacialJack

Time for the after-action report, since I jumped the gun last night:

Mine isn't so much a "what did I do today" as "what do I plan to do". It's one of those "kind of stupid, maybe I shouldn't be trying this in a career save" things. Wish me luck....

Experimental early-tech Mun lander turned out ::snip:: a deathtrap to land with. ::snip:: So Jeb is on final approach to a rendezvous with the station. His primitive vessel has no docking port, ::snip:: *no RCS jets*.

So we're going to have to maneuver the whole great honkin' space station (woefully unbalanced at the moment ::snippity-snip:: for stationkeeping as required while I'm simultaneously doing the free-floating EVA crew transfer.

Wish me luck....

(Quote greatly edited to avoid Wall-o-Text)

In the end, it came off swimmingly (and for Jeb and Rodwin, who did the EVAs, that's not a metaphor). No pics during the two-way crew transfer, because I'm not as good a jetpack-jockey as some others, and I had my hands full. But here's Mun 1, stopped dead floating less than 10 meters from the station and on the correct side to get easy access to both the Mun lander hatch and the Hitchhiker hatches, before the crew transfer:

a>

And then AFTER Rodwin jetpacked over to Mun 1 and grabbed the ladder, Jeb crawled out of the capsule and started toward the station, Rodwin climbed into the Mun 1 return vehicle, and Jeb successfully navigated to the Eagle Advanced Mun Lander:

a>

All in a day's work for some of you, I know, but for me this involved a certain amount of nailbiting. Formation flying of any sort always makes me nervous...and this little orbital dance required choreography for 4 separate flyers. I'm pleased with how it turned out.

(And for the last feather in my cap, Rodwin managed to bring Mun 1 in to a safe landing less than a km from the KSC launch pad!)

(EDIT: Okay, that's obviously not the preferred way to post a picture...)

Edited by Srpadget
still trying to post screenshot correctly

Today, I decided to finally use my Cleaner probe to clean the debris orbiting at LKO. And then, I figured I had debris with AP/PE of 120/27 KM, but the aerobraking wasn't deorbiting them. So, apparently I just had to switch to the debris and watch it go to low altitude, and the aerobraking started working again. Now I got a clean and shiny LKO.:D

Additionally, as per suggestion, I've added a Cupola to my KSS. Used the same probe to decouple the useless Spectrometron from the station and deorbit it. Sad, but fun ride.

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="//imgur.com/a/b4qmf/embed"></iframe>

Didn't do anything incredibly noteworthy today but I did install a few mods (yeah, my new stock career save didn't last too long). Off the top of my head it was SP+, Fine Print, KAS, Orbital Science, and Station Science.

I built a minimalist atmospheric plane for my first Fine Print mission which was to run around to four different locations northwest of KSC and fly over at ~5km for surveillance. Everything worked out perfectly on the first try, and I even managed to land the junker back on the runway. The shots I have of the mission itself are too dark (night mission :)) but here is the plane after landing and using almost no fuel, as the sun was just thinking about coming up. I realized I could have made it a bit smaller and faster but for some reason I thought I'd be cutting fuel close if I did. It was pretty stable considering I haven't really played in a while and my design testing consisted of slapping parts together, hitting the runway and "yep it takes off, let's go."

KSP2014-09-1323-49-32-07.jpg~original

ETA: Nedster and Handin screamed from takeoff until landing, this was the first time they actually smiled.

Also I wanted to add that I have a plan (probably start it tomorrow?) to put a station with a science lab in orbit around the Mun and Minmus to cut back on running back and forth, something I've never bothered to do before. At this rate with the contracts and normal science gathering I might get my tech tree pretty far up there before I even make it out to Duna. Technically I could hit Duna any time now especially since I just got a contract to test the NERVA but I don't feel like it just yet.

Edited by Duke23

Kerbonauts Return Home!

After 22 years + 166 days, kerbonaut researchers Billy-Bobrey and Rodfal returned home from their polar orbiting space station. With 2 years of preparations completed, mission commander kerbonaut Handin piloted the researchers home, deorbiting the polar station in the process. When interviewed about their adventure and research, Rodfal complained that if he'd known commander Handin was going to deorbit the station, he'd not have bothered doing all that cleaning up before they'd left... he was visibly upset. Billy-Bobrey acknowledged that much science was gained using the polar research platform, but doubted the cost was justified. He also noted that if he had to spend one more day listening to how cold and lonely Rodfal was, he likely might have strangled him. Commander Handin didn't have much comment for reporters other than stating the researchers both stank and needed a good bath. Storm clouds obscured the view of the polar station's fiery reentry for Kerbals in the northern hemisphere, although we understand several seals and one walrus witnessed the event. - KSP News

I did this a few weeks again and kept forgetting to upload the screenshots. The first Kethane miner I sent to the Mun, I mistakenly added all the science instruments instead of making it just a mining ship. So once I got a new, improved miner to the Mun I decided to bring this old one home to recover all the science for full value. However, this ship wasn't capable of safely landing back on Kerbin and I hadn't even downloaded Kerbal Attachment System yet (the latest version was for .23 and I bought the game on Steam during .24). So I built a massive frame with some parachutes on top to dock the mining ship to. Since I also had a rescue contract I added an empty command capsule to the structure.

Without further adieu, here is a link to a slideshow of the screenshots of the rescue rig with its launch stage after research orbit and several with the mining ship docked.

http://s738.photobucket.com/user/Monthar/slideshow/KSP%20Epic%20Rescue%20Rig

The first attempt to land ended in complete destruction, because with all the parachutes deploying at once the the docking connection broke. After a reload I change the parachutes to a staggered deployment and was able to successfully recover the ships with no damage.

Edited by Monthar