What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Happened a few days ago, but didn't have the time to upload it earlier. It's my drone mission to Laythe. Got tons of science for it. The first picture is what it was based on. Had to redesign the wings and the tail part to fit in a fairing. Surprisingly, the atmospheric entry went pretty smooth.

I'm really proud of it. Not like it was super hard, but I like the fact that I menaged to reuse one of my planes and put it on a rocket the way it doesn't have any major CoM offset.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Came in somewhere over the equator and went north to complete a contract. Then landed in the northern ice cap area. It now sits there for future manned missions to refuel and repurpose it.

- - - Updated - - -

Lots of complicated logistics in career mode in preparation for a second round of manned expeditions.

http://i.imgur.com/4VWk5qz.jpg?1

Several mapping orbiters departed Kerbin for Dres, Eeloo, and Jool.

http://i.imgur.com/KVk1qPI.jpg?1

Super Aqualung Red took off from Minmus with a full tank for LKO.

http://i.imgur.com/pJnsB5I.jpg?1

A hab module destined for Coalwood Base on Minmus (a pilot program for similar bases planned on other airless bodies, currently just a mining rig) went up on an RLV-220 reusable rocket.

http://i.imgur.com/wO3xZP5.jpg?1

Red, Starlet Elizabeth, Spacebus Valerie, and an expendable transfer stage completed a complicated refueling operation in LKO before the transfer stage sent Valerie and Elizabeth on their way to Laythe with a crew of five to rendezvous with the Dauntless. Red offloaded the rest of its fuel at the LKO depot and departed for Minmus with the hab module.

How did you get a name on that thing? A custom flag?

Edited by Veeltch

I started a new career mode game with the following settings:

yAlMGIy.jpg

Slightly more lenient than default Hard Mode, with the exception of science returns. I anticipate trucking to Duna and Eve with terriers.

Engineer, Alarm Clock, RCS Build Aide, and Astronomer's Visual Pack are the only mods on this one. Wish me luck!

I learned of the glory of KSP cheats last night. I blew up the KSC, messed around with gravity, shot stuff, and generally screwed around. I will probably try to see about making a base in solar orbit for a contract. Should be easier than making one in LKO, seeing as of how I don't really have to try and rendezvous, just speed up after launching in about the same time so they should meet in orbit. or hack gravity and make a big ships that carries an entire station up... Also flew my VTOL around some, but once its ramjet gets fired up and starts really speeding, it gets hard to control. may have to replace it with a normal jet engine simply so it can stay controllable. Or just make another VTOL entirely, though it is actually pretty hard to do...

What did it look like before liftoff, Kuzzter?

Here it is at the moment of liftoff. The M7 lander took off SSTO from Kerbin, was towed to Eve, refueled in orbit, and made a powered landing. The vehicle at right made a separate landing, performed a surface dock to the M7 and fueled it for takeoff.

nVB7rKo.png

If you'd like more details, the complete "mission report" appears in Eve: Order Zero :D

Contrary to popular belief, I don't read every thread here and there's a lot of content that I miss. :P

Yep, hard as it is to believe, not everyone has time to read the funny papers. :) That's why when I post stuff outside my normal thread I generally post it "straight". Glad you liked the lander, Red, thanks!

After getting very frustrated at a rocket design that was only making it suborbital 20% of the time, I got very frustrated and built a new suborbital hopper. On its inaugural flight, I killed Jeb, and his tourist passenger.

So I went back to the old rocket. At least nobody had died in it.

And shortly thereafter, Val died in it, with the tourist she was taking suborbital...

I'm broke, have no pilots, and can't unlock a single probe core yet. Sigh.

Here it is at the moment of liftoff. The M7 lander took off SSTO from Kerbin, was towed to Eve, refueled in orbit, and made a powered landing. The vehicle at right made a separate landing, performed a surface dock to the M7 and fueled it for takeoff.

http://i.imgur.com/nVB7rKo.png

If you'd like more details, the complete "mission report" appears in Eve: Order Zero :D

I was rather surprised you staged all 6 boosters at once instead of staging them off in pairs via asparagus staging. Might have saved you quite a bit of d-v, especially on Eve.

Personally I have been trying to design self sufficient colonies using Rover Dude's UKS.

Had a bunch of stuff I was taking out to my trial base when KSP crashed, taking the unsaved vessel with it, then I designed a starter-base for Minmus (4 large pods with affiliated attachments, drills, etc), but I had to run off to bed before finishing my launcher. (a bit confused how the total ship price was negative, must have some negative priced resources or something)

With luck I can drop off the pods at the intersection of the Greater Flats, Slopes and Midlands after determining which drills should go where.(Greater flats seem to have most of what I need, but no substrate).

I was rather surprised you staged all 6 boosters at once instead of staging them off in pairs via asparagus staging. Might have saved you quite a bit of d-v, especially on Eve.

I had always intended to asparagus stage. I simtested a prototype with simple staging, thinking I would just see how short I was and then know what other changes I had to make. When the prototype blasted to orbit from sea level with 400 m/s to spare, I decided to just go with what I had. :)

I launched my first three-crew ship (in this game, a Science one) into a Minmus flyby orbit. The plan was that at the appropriate moment, Jeb would detach the lander, which included months of supplies (using TAC Life-support), and start exploring whilst another launch would deliver a small permanent base and one or two more crew. Everything went well right up to the point where the mountain loomed over the horizon with Jeb committed to land and insufficient thrust to avoid the mountain. Unfortunately, Jeb didn't die on impact, but his ship was wrecked and the bulk of his supplies destryed. Three days later, Jeb expired. RIP. :-(

My first spaceplane to orbit with the new FAR

22227562960_ab603eb52d_h.jpg

Only just made it, had to use a little RCS (I started with 36 units), but hey, orbit is orbit. Now I reckon if I lengthen the fuselage I'll be able to get to orbit with some delta-V to be useful.

Well, I finally went and did my first docking attempt. I thought it was horribly frustrating, confusing and difficult.

I had put two docking ports on the Lensman_D rocket, as a sort of afterthought. I figured it might be needed one day for a rescue operation or something. But then you need to know how to dock as well, so I had better to start practicing.

screenshot2629.png

So I figured I'd send up two Lensman_D in orbit and try to dock. It didn't quite happen exactly that way. Lensman_D1 got launched into orbit alright, but I decided to change the launch rocket configuration, so there never was any Lensman_D2. Instead the Lensman_E was launched to chase after the first.

As it happened, Lensman_D1 had the lower orbit, so got to be the hunter. I had no idea, but did the usual Huffman intercept, and then planned to burn into an orbit to match the target's, at contact.

screenshot2634.png

That part of the plan went surprisingly well. The next problem was to now close the distance and match velocities.

During a series of - sometimes desperate - maneuvers, where I still haven't fully figured out what I did wrong and what I did right, by some miracles, in between moments when everything seemed to go screwup, I eventually ended up in a pretty good position.

screenshot2640.png

By that time Lensman_D1 had run out of RCS-fuel, so Lensman_E had to take back the hunting role. Lensman_E also ran low on monopropellant, but I thought I'd at least make an attempt.

Strangely, the first contact failed. Despite all the targeting stuff, the docking ports were not aligned. I had to back off, ignore the navball, and align the ports by sight. I think I was very smart to reduce velocity to 0.1 m/s. Gotta remember that: 0.1 m/s.

screenshot2645.png

Look! - The Lensman rockets kiss. Ain't that sweet. Look how cleverly the docking port is placed and angled.

So now what can I do with that? Apparently nothing? Maybe I shouldn't have had full crews in both vessels? Maybe I could have transferred a crewmember then?

What about fuel? How do I do that?

Well, I have docked. If I do it enough times, then maybe I'll know what the hell I'm doing. And maybe it won't be so difficult.

So now what can I do with that? Apparently nothing? Maybe I shouldn't have had full crews in both vessels? Maybe I could have transferred a crewmember then?

What about fuel? How do I do that?

You can transfer fuel and crew. For fuel, right-click on a tank (it'll show how much is in there), and alt right-click on another. You'll get in/out buttons to transfer the fuel. This also works in a single vessel, if you have more than one tank.

Crew's again the same as in a single vessel. Click on the hatch, select "transfer", click where you want them to go.

Electricity's also shared, if you have enough panels/RTGs then it'll charge everyone's batteries.

Hope that helps!