What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

last 2 days i was building and testing another lander for my "fat boy" and after all the runs i decided that it's good enough for another urlum run....now in my eyes it wasn't the most "fancy" lander of them all that i build,but it had good amount of delta-v and worked really well with my modded new interstellar engines that i got :D 

going for polar orbit - docking with "fat boy",destination- priax o7kdoh.pngb824p3.pngdocking with "fat boy"jfuowm.png2cngww4.pngwsmuld.pngchecked everything and ready to go-onwards to urlum:wink:5bxr3d.pnggoing for urlums orbitfaq5np.pngno mercy for fuel,and the radiators that struggling with crazy heat production2gwstbk.png2je1vo5.pngpriax and polta are orbiting in the same orbit,getting to priax is "tricky",had to get encounter with polta and from poltas orbit perform maneuver burn towards priax encounter.4icx9k.pngfinally encounter with priaxb6cbk5.pngsmall burn and i was in priaxs orbit29aqqyt.pngeven with 1 major burn maneuver and 2 small burns,i was extremely pleased on my expenses in terms of delta v,finally orbit of priax!od8qq.pngof course valentina have to go and do eva in the new discovered moon of urlum ^_^1640sx.pnggoing for landing 

2wroggp.png2ih2fqe.pngfirst landing spot,slopes,slopes and more slopes!2hdpbw0.pnggetting science from this moon was very useful because i learned why hes orbiting in the same orbit of polta and why he got so many slopes,but i wont spoil for those who play opm mod and on thier own quest of knowledge :)

i didn't realize how heavy this moon is filled with slopes and their actual size..until i hit the day light2e6hvnp.pngwent for another biome exploration2d7hlvn.png9lcuti.pngthis moon definitely got hes own charm2a4wp35.png

7 hours ago, Elowiny said:

I recently started a new game and landed a tiny rover on the Mun. It was my first time actually using skycranes to land rovers.

2o8VT6i.jpg?1

Absurdly, this is something that I cannot even compel myself to do.  :(   I can make rovers, beautiful or simple, tiny wheels or large, and they will crawl their way up to 0.2 m/s after 10 minutes on the KSC runway.  I just don't want to invest the effort of getting one to another planet only to discover it is just as slow.  :\  -  Kudos to you though!

High time I did a moonshot in Realism Overhaul. This mission is currently in progress and will run in partial real time while I go to work and do other mundane IRL things. Sorry for the night launch and lack of visibility for the first few images. I'll update the album as the mission progresses.

The Endeavour is on its way to Eve!  She will get there before Columbia gets to Dres.

6BNcVWq.png

bgsrwuS.png

M1nebdb.png

1X6YUT8.png

The last manever was to reacquire an encounter after the main transfer burn ended with the shp just outside of it.  I then fine-tuned the encounter into a pass over the north pole to get a polar orbit (did the same with Columbia and Dres).

And yeah, I'm using MJ to command and control all of these ships.  One, it seems more appropriate for large interplanetary ships, but the main reason is that these ships are BIG and turn like rusty screws, and, especially with the loaded-up Endeavour and its 468 parts, lag becomes an issue, so I'm letting another computer program deal with it. :)

Also, MJ is like a multi-tool; not only does it have the equivalent of Transfer Window Planner, it also will create the proper maneuver node for you, then execute it if you want.  Then you can use its maneuver node editor to create fine-tuning maneuevers, and have those executed for you as well.  So sweet! :)

I have a nice Moho launch window coming up pretty soon, so I am now working on finishing the Argo Navis (I'm still tinkering with the design, trying to reduce part count even furthur) as well as add resupply fuel tanks for landers) then launching it for that mission.  I'm just going to send one of my smallish rover-landers to Moho; given enough refeuling capacity it will be sufficient.

6 hours ago, GarrisonChisholm said:

Absurdly, this is something that I cannot even compel myself to do.  :(   I can make rovers, beautiful or simple, tiny wheels or large, and they will crawl their way up to 0.2 m/s after 10 minutes on the KSC runway.  I just don't want to invest the effort of getting one to another planet only to discover it is just as slow.  :\  -  Kudos to you though!

Can you show us the pictures of your designs?  Something must be wrong if they take ten minutes to accelerate that much.  

I needed to make a spaceplane capable of carrying 10 or more Kerbals to a 200km orbit and come home without refueling.  In the end, I made 4 of them, gradually refining the design until I ended up with something totally stock.  Amazingly, all worked the 1st time so this really didn't take all that long.  I must be getting better at this.

Still, I'm sure the real spaceplane gurus will cringe at my flying fuel tanks with small payloads.  I know I've got more intakes than required under the current rules, but I figure the rules will change in the near future.  And anyway I don't consider a spaceplane successful unless it can get to 200km in less than 10 minutes.  It has to compete with rockets for my time, you know :D

07 Crew Retriever Line-Up

The Type 4 is my favorite for some reason.  It can do it's mission, split-S on re-entry to land on runway 27, then do a full stop landing and finally make it to Airbase Island on fumes.

05 Type 4 Crew Retriever at 200km

Today I was learning how to use mechjeb, so I flew missions with the objective of landing a probe on the moon, and returning the probe body (at minimum) to Kerbin. There were numerous crashes and other disasters before my first successful landing on the Mun.

AS-107_zpsnmjxwlpu.jpg

Alas, there wasn't enough delta-V left to get home.

There were many more near-successes. Finally, this one made the round trip, The fuel tanks with L/G on 'em? mounted on decouplers because once it takes off, it ain't landing again. Once the tanks are empty, they and the landing legs get to become the newest munar surface features. Here it is: 

AS-878_zpswkfoevzw.jpg

I thought I would have pictures of the splashdown, so I may have "activated" the automatic camera mod by toggling it off by mistake. Whups. :blush:

On 2/14/2016 at 1:30 PM, Captain Jeb said:

screenshot169.png

The NX2 Dragonfly PSV is my newest spaceplane specially developed for this mission. She can take off from Kerbin with about 1600 d/v left over in LKO. Can fly to and land on Minmus. Packs 2 mini drills and 1 mini ISRU. With an engineer on board she can totally refuel under 30 days by a given ore percentage of 6 %. She carries 4 Kerbals an 1 Orbital Scanner Satellite that has about 3000 d/v worth of monopropellant. All that at 40 t. (wet mass) with a total dv of about 4100 m/s (including the satellite with propellant).

Got inspired to make my own Single Stage ISRU Spaceplane after seeing the above. It's a really good looking design.

My first designs were very similar and I copied a lot of features, but it ended up a bit bigger. 53.5 t take-off weight. I got it to orbit with 2400 m/s dV and 0.30 TWR. Fully refueled it had 3300 m/s + 150 unprocessed ore + 600 LF in the wings, that the LV-Ns can't see.

It still needs some work. Has more battery than needed. Can either remove them or one the Fuel Cell Arrays. Was only using 55% capacity. I'm considering some extra Drills, but it's already a bit heavy for 2 RAPIERs. Should probably focus on shaving unneeded stuff.

Edited by Val
Extra LF

Spent the last couple days playing a pure-stock career. No MJ, no KER, no KAC, none of the mods I'm used to relying on, just cosmetics, UI mods and KJR (without which all but the simplest rockets make the game pretty much unplayable on my system due to strut-induced lag). It's been interesting, although I'm going to have to call it quits soon because even with the few mods I do have my OSX install crashes after a half-dozen scene changes. (Seriously, how is anyone managing to play anything other than a bone-stock game without either Linux or the 64-bit hack? How did I manage to do it back in 0.90?)

Anyway, here are some of the highlights:

jGOD4Xe.jpg?1

First Mun shot, and first solar orbit (even looks a bit like a Luna probe). Finally realized that battery-powered early-game interplanetary probes are possible if you switch away from the probe while it's in transit. I figure it's in low-power hibernation mode or something. Why it took me over a year to think of that, I'll never know. 

UxMc1Tj.jpg?1

Valentina completes the first EVA in Kerbin orbit. 

SurjUIZ.jpg?1

First (crash-) landing on the Mun. It was actually an orbiter, but had plenty of fuel left in orbit so I decided to try to land it. If you thought landing on the Mun without MechJeb was fun, try landing without SAS.

NMJp58B.png?1

Jebediah: first Kerman on the Mun. 

Started a 'no revert/load' KCT career with a nice initial resource boost, but below hard level payouts and science gain (30-30%).

Decided to design a low-tech spaceplane launch system that gets 8 tourists to orbit and back - from 30 parts. Gonna be rich make some profit if I succeed. I was -this- close to make it work... Four customers regularly reached orbit, but the management wanted better figures. One of the iterations could have worked... if I could control two pieces of a separated craft. But I wanna' do it with stock tools. It would be -easy- if I could have 31 parts.

Today I'll succeed. If KCT simulator doesn't gets me broke, 100 funds at a time.

Ahh, I also made my first nuke-ssto-plane, and hacked it into that game, in order to eliminate the early grind. It's designed for reliability, as I won't be able to recover it, field repairs and refuelling is the only option. It went to Minmus and landed back at KSC on the first go. I'm pretty proud of it - I never went farther than LKO without saving before.

h05cRhF.png

Today, I wanted to tackle something I was very unfamiliar with : Planes.

I decided to start working on "Project Elowin", an SSTO.

I don't have any screenshots of the first version, but it didn't make it to space...

jRgyFYM.jpg

The second version had to crashland due to an action group problem. One engine switched mode, the other did not.

IpKi3s4.jpg

I almost managed to land it safely, but I activated the brakes too early and...

4Tc0xn3.jpg

At least the pilots survived. I used the same two pilots throughout the entire project.

The third version had a little more fuel, and made it to space, but not enough to get into a stable orbit.

vIguduO.jpg

n4gq4MA.jpg

I managed to land it correctly this time.

6up5EjZ.jpg

After numerous attempts, I came up with the final version : The V7

5uHgY4E.jpg

I flew it up and up and up untit it got to space, then I tried to circularize and...

YCCuF1g.jpg

I made it! I made an SSTO capable of reaching a stable orbit! I feel so proud right now...

Landing was a little rough though, I had to use the parachutes to slow down. It's not a perfect SSTO since I had to use chutes, but I'm still very proud of myself.

I don't really know if making an SSTO is hard, but since I was very bad with planes overall, it's an exploit for me.

Edited by Elowiny

First flight of experimental runway to orbit shuttle (RTOS... not SSTO... uses drop tanks) didn't have enough juice to make a circular orbit, although it did get to AP of 80km with about 250dV to spare. So instead of reverting, I let it fall back to atmo, performed a high speed braking reentry and left hand 180 turn to glide into this spit of land and touch down! the "Abort to Korea (ATK)" maneuver I shall call this [spit of land resembles Korean peninsula]

HVEJEW4.jpg

Just now, oversoul said:

First flight of experimental runway to orbit shuttle (RTOS... not SSTO... uses drop tanks) didn't have enough juice to make a circular orbit, although it did get to AP of 80km with about 250dV to spare. So instead of reverting, I let it fall back to atmo, performed a high speed braking reentry and left hand 180 turn to glide into this spit of land and touch down! the "Abort to Korea (ATK)" maneuver I shall call this [spit of land resembles Korean peninsula]

HVEJEW4.jpg

I'm sure you'll succeed eventually. All you got to do is try over and over, but you feel really happy once you manage to get into orbit.