What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Doubled up on two missions for @nightingale's Anomaly Surveyor and Field Research with an expansion of my bush plane from yesterday. Turns out scientists don't like sitting near flammable liquids. Wimps.

lTa3wS8.jpg

Rather foolishly forgot a ladder, but fortunately the mission only required me to EVA near the pyramids, rather than get boots on the ground or sample them, so pilot Jay Kerman just mooned the statue and then got back in :blush:

Made me realise I've not been actually serious about KSP since about 1.0.2. The Panther engine is just gobsmackingly efficient... still had a hundred units in the tank at its final stop :)  Also, internal view omfg yes. Not sure what happened with the weird graphics glitch around the wheels though...

1 hour ago, Choctofliatrio2.0 said:

Hmm, alright, I'll try it. I have bad memories with RAPIERs though, of them devouring all my oxidizer right when I switched to rocket mode and the plane plummeting into the sea.

Yes, R.A.P.I.E.R.S are hungry, but they pack quite a punch. That is why you must throttle down immediately, once you switch the engine cycle. Usually you can go with one third throttle or less. That will increase your engines burn time. Continously throttle down more and more the higher and faster you get.

Nothing so far today, but yesterday I started a career in 1.1 and did some interesting things. Since I have never played far into career I was struggling in the beginning to get an early orbiter. I moved the fins more to the center of mass and the craft worked. From there I upgraded it further from the following science that I got for a Mun flyby mission. I made the flyby perfectly and then because I'm me I over time warped and crashed into Kerbin. After 2-3 more reverts I got the mission perfectly and landed. Today my plans are to get more science and improve my rockets. 

My rescue mission for low solar orbit is in need of rescuing, having run out of fuel shortly after picking up the kerbonaut in need of rescuing.  Through previous contracts I ended up with a station in a solar orbit very close to that of Kerbin, with a couple nuc powered ships attached to it.  So I thought to try sending the station and ships and rendezvous with the rescue mission ship in an attempt to refuel it.  The main engine of the station fired up first until it exhausted its fuel, towing the precariously docked ships.  There are no beings aboard, so the wild oscillations were not a concern.  In due time the station's fuel ran out, so the nuc ships undocked from the station and coupled together to continue the journey.  They burned until periapsis of their orbit intersected that of the rescue ship.  They are now currently coasting along, with about 90 days until circularization burn...

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-22%20at%207.15.3 

Unfortunately it looks like once they rendezvous with the rescue mission they probably won't have any fuel left to donate to the cause.

The one other thing I did was to build and launch yet another refuelling ship, this time opting for a Poodle-based configuration.  It reached Kerbin Stayshun with about 10,000 units of fuel and cost about $200,000 funds.  Not sure how good of a deal that is, but now there are a couple tankers up there that can be used as soon as ISRU is researched and implemented.

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-23%20at%2010.49.

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-23%20at%2011.12.

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-23%20at%2011.31.

Edited by justidutch

I launched a rescue ship with a 681 kerbal capacity to rescue 201 kerbals from the Mun. 

Docked with the Ceres space station: 

Capacity: 1110 kerbals
Parts: 790
Mass: ?? 

Edited by JebsDead
imgur link

43 minutes ago, JebsDead said:

I launched a rescue ship with a 681 kerbal capacity to rescue 201 kerbals from the Mun. 

Docked with the Ceres space station: 

Capacity: 1110 kerbals
Parts: 790
Mass: ?? 

This begs the question of how 201 Kerbals ended up stranded on the Mün in the first place....:0.0:

Went through some of my old plane designs trying to update them for 1.1, including a 400-ton monstrosity built to circumnavigate Kerbin multiple times.

pUKHInx.jpg

It actually flies! Has some trouble landing in one piece since 1.1 though.

Edited by Haruspex

After most of my essential mods are updated to 1.1 and minor things are sorted out, I started a new career save. Even the most boring chore contracts put a smile on my face when I see how smooth the 1.1 performance is. No more mini lags.

28 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

This begs the question of how 201 Kerbals ended up stranded on the Mün in the first place....:0.0:

That is what I did last week.  The full rescue mission video should be up early next week. 

(spoiler warning) 

Edited by JebsDead

Yesterday: Did a 6-tourist Contract, get them in orbit AND have a Mun Flyby! The whole thing totaled to a reward of over 500 thousand Funds! My eyes were all "CHA-CHING!! CHA-CHING!!", Especially since the craft I made totaled only a TENTH (50 thou) of that total amount of accumulated tourism Fund-swag!

And yes, I got them ALL successfully in orbit AND with a flyby, and a safe landing.

While waiting for a few essential mods to update before starting new YouTube series, I have been playing a career game. Nothing special, just futzing around and trying stuff.

I'm waiting for the Duna window (determined with sly use of maneuver nodes and no outside help or that math figurin' y'all do) now, and in the meantime my new Claw is cleaning up hulks from LKO that I left behind when rescuing Kerbals in early career.

Beginning with regular manned missions, I designed a 4-man CTV, named Pegasus.

h0WCpip.jpg

The SSTO lifter pushing the ship into space...

1vq7wft.jpg

Circularization...

Y71z2hO.jpg

The Pegasus arriving at the Agena docking practice vehicle...

PBd4ZsO.jpg

After connecting with its target, it performed a few orbit-changing maneuvers...

uvmTHDS.jpg

On the next mission, a slightly improved version was used...

Dcr6Aev.jpg

After deployment into orbit...

aFP3ioR.jpg

It started the first manned Mun flight. Departing from the lifter in the middle of the TMI-burn...

gaPJt1j.jpg

This Pegasus crew became the first to see their home planet as a whole from space with their own eyes...

qANQatD.jpg

And they certainly enjoyed the view...

lMQYUvc.jpg

A few hours later the Pegasus entered orbit arround the Mun...

PqI0tPJ.jpg

And with a bunch of science reports, the Kerbonauts returned back home...

IIAVCPS.jpg

Next up a 3-man CTV was designed.

EG7lJtR.jpg

On its maiden flight, this CTV rendezvoused with a space telescope in LKO. Some last minute maintenance was due before the telescope would leave low orbit...

SYUsxoj.jpg

A few days later, the telescope had reached the spotter point on its highly excentric observational orbit. Looking at the Jool system through the corona of the Kerbol Sun.

GSjViJ4.jpg

Now that the Kerbals had seen the wonders of their home system from a far, they are preparing to make the first step beyond Kerbins SOI with the upcoming Mariner 2 mission, going for a fly-by on Eve...

GfbZVit.jpg

It's been almost a week, but my last time in KSP was significant work on RockoPlane, finally achieving orbit on what started as a pet-project "hey let's build a rocket engine plane" back when I was new to KSP. Still work to do, but it's performing beyond expectations so far. Also (not pictured) I retracted the landing struts on Mun and Minmus bases, letting them rest on the Hitchhiker modules to avoid problems when the "sinking struts" bug is addressed, and played around with the new Gilly scenario.

Today Kerbin was feeling lonely and got super-jealous of Jool's moons...

So she stole every body lighter than her in the Kerbol system

And this happened :

xGVe3oQ.png

At least Kerbin isn't lonely anymore. And she also stole Tekto's atmosphere so now Kerbin has a 100 km high atmosphere.

That's gonna make my KSP sessions a little more...original. Loads of bodies to explore next to home, but super dense atmosphere and SOI intersections won't make it easy. And the night sky. Just imagine the night sky.

Edited by Elowiny

Put up the core of a space station made of the very cool looking Hab Tech parts.  Launched a second section and attempted to dock it with the core, & could not get it to attach.  I ended up de-orbiting both parts (hence no pics) will try again using stock docking ports.

1.1 ruined my pickup truck, so I took a break from driving (I love the new wheel physics, though). Instead, I played around with using the 10m heatshield as an inflatable habitat. What I have so far is two heatshields with the insides facing each other. Two ten meter wide rings are placed so that the shield's edge is touching them. On those rings are airbrakes that give the habitat some length, and allow it to open and close. Stuff inside the habitat can be built off of the support beam in the middle. No pictures yet.