What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I made this thing:

neM53nX.jpg

I have no idea what I am going to use it for, I was mainly just trying out the Mk3 parts, but I like the look of it.

As shown in LKO it is 163 tonnes and has about 6km/s of delta-V. All the fuel tanks and both monoprop tanks are essentially still full, because it was put up there by boosters (about 950 tonnes on the pad) that are now gone.

It carries two crew in the cockpit and up to 16 more passengers in the cabins. The mid-section is all cargo bays. There is a giant Mk3 cargo bay that can carry 2.5m vessels, and two long Mk2 cargo bays each side that can carry 1.25m probes and equipment. On this test flight it launched with a total of 18 tonnes of ballast in the cargo bays.

I'm thinking it might be the basis of an interplanetary mission.

Another view, showing the stats.

7oYZEXQ.jpg

I put up two mapping/communication satellites in prep for a Kerballed landing on the Mun, although I plan on placing two more of these satellites before getting there. (Helps that my rocket to gety krrbals to the mun isn't ready yet...)

No screenshots, but I've been testing a Mk3 based Duna Rover for a mission. I have to land a base that's on wheels, can hold at least 12 kerbals, has a research module, a cupola module, and all the rest.

So far I've figured out that if my craft lands at anything above 10 8-9 m/s or so, it will break apart and explode. There's pretty much no margin for error...oh, and roving around at 4x warp is also a good way to have it break apart and explode. It's a rolling death trap.

ETA: make that 8-9 m/s. I've had one successful landing at 7.5m/s. Last landing was at 9.1 m/s. Exploded. All other landings were higher than 10 m/s.

Edited by Sidereus

No screenshots, but I've been testing a Mk3 based Duna Rover for a mission. I have to land a base that's on wheels, can hold at least 12 kerbals, has a research module, a cupola module, and all the rest.

So far I've figured out that if my craft lands at anything above 10 8-9 m/s or so, it will break apart and explode. There's pretty much no margin for error...oh, and roving around at 4x warp is also a good way to have it break apart and explode. It's a rolling death trap.

ETA: make that 8-9 m/s. I've had one successful landing at 7.5m/s. Last landing was at 9.1 m/s. Exploded. All other landings were higher than 10 m/s.

The MK-3 parts are notorious for falling apart easily. You may need to add reinforcing struts, or else just treat the thing with kid gloves.

The MK-3 parts are notorious for falling apart easily. You may need to add reinforcing struts, or else just treat the thing with kid gloves.

Might have to try that. I was hoping I wouldn't have to, because my computer starts turning into a potato once a craft starts getting much above 150 parts or so (and it's already at 220+ parts if you include the first and second stages), but it may be worth it.

ETA: adding struts didn't work, either because I couldn't get them attached right or just because it's too big. Oh well, kids gloves it is (unless I can figure out how to edit joint strength in the .cfg file, anyway...)

Edited by Sidereus

Launched a ship similar to X-37B, named AT-73X. No screenshots of the craft itself for the meantime due to confidentiality, but here's its current orbit.

KrPGS97.jpg

Did some little station-keeping also, started filling up the station with crew. Docked the 1st batch of crew into the station after being in orbit for a few days (the elite trio), launched and docked the second batch of three, and launched the third.

VzJQYF0.jpg

s6MAhuX.jpg

Took out one of my Barometric 7 ground survey planes to hit two pressure survey contracts on the far side of Kerbin. Was dismayed to discover one of the data points was in the water; despite having VTOL capability the plane is actually a pretty lousy VTOL. After about half a dozen failed landing attempts, I gave up and decided to try to pick up the last data point of a previous mission, where really all that happened was a botched landing. Landing went off without a hitch this time around. Went ahead and got that contract buttoned up, then flew back to KSC.

Wound up circumnavigating Kerbin in the process; made it back with a 17% fuel reserve.

And landing on the mun with my new lander. Go figures I have a little to little fuel, had to delve into the accent modules fueltanks to make it to the ground, and don't think I got the best landing location. Should be enough fuel to execute a direct rendezvous with the orbiter and EVA across with the science, which also saves me some orbital debris letting the accent module fall back down to mun. Gotta love that 2 man pod though, such a beauty!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I love the Zephyr STS II, however due to lack of fps the staging broke the main container and I had to complete the first module with it attached.

UVOMOLk.png

I had to EVA to extend the solar panels due to RemoteTech and the control-less module.