What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Spent the past 3 hours building SSTOs (none of which even reached orbit), launching, and testing stuff. Also missions.

Station construction.

ML0tUiL.jpg

Built, tested, and perfected the Dunecrawler, the successor of Mobile Munbase. Ready to roll!

FhX0dj5.jpg

Touchdown North Pole!

fNUSQbN.jpg

BONUS: I've just made Jeb's dream come true.

gO0JnLy.jpg

I was cleaning up my Imgur files and deleting everything that has now become obsolete due to crashed saves... and I came upon this and it made me laugh

tbsIE9X.jpg

I was attempting to document a full scale Duna mission to retrieve maximum science points. Could have been fun, but sadly .90 broke the save.

Still, I laugh at it.

Did a number of missions over the weekend. Pulled three spaceplane flights on Valentine's Day proper, one to recover Pantemone Kerman from orbit and two to deliver Barn Owl probes to LKO, with mostly successful landings afterwards (first Barn Owl flight didn't land level and I wound up tearing up a wing). Fulfilled a number of contracts, enough to upgrade the Runway to Level 3 at long last. I still need to upgrade my SPH, Tracking Station and R&D to Level 3, but that's it at this point.

Probably the biggest thing I did this weekend was successfully complete the mission of the Vampire Bat 7; Jeb and Bob made a successful Mun landing, collected a bunch of science and headed back to Kerbin to rendezvous with the launch and retrieval plane, making the rendezvous with 9 m/s remaining. The re-docking mechanism worked as designed and the plane successfully brought the craft back to KSC. I do need to reinforce the undercarriage if I intend to use the craft again; she landed intact but was awful wobbly on takeoff and landing. Nevertheless, it was overall a great success - Mun and back, 500 science, all parts recovered, total mission cost was √3,500 (the cost of fuel). No, that's not a typo.

Launched my first proper spaceplane payload :) I had a probe contract come up, so rather than send it by rocket as I'd done before, I modified my SSTO slightly by simply replacing the passenger cabin and docking port with a cargo bay, and carried the probe inside it. There were a couple of small issues, such as the probe's probe core being mounted the wrong way up, and the two radial engines apparently being at a very slight angle which resulted in an uncontrolled rotation when firing. But the launch was successful, and Billy-Boblong returned safely for full launch vehicle recovery.

So I finally got around to get Frederik and Meldas to mün. Had to do a few attempts at landing, seems I brought just enough fuel. Don't yet know if I can make orbit with whats left though. Thats for another day.

Imgur seems to be down for maintanance right now, so I'll post the pics tomorrow when I get home from work.

most of the time works as intended, and then there's this:

http://giant.gfycat.com/MatureConcernedHarpseal.gif

I love how the Capsule doesn't even move. I keep watching this over and over, mesmerized...

Bill: "Did you feel something?"

Jeb: Shrugs, looks at controls "All systems nominal."

Both stare silently as cargo bay goes floating by.

Edited by [email protected]

Bill: "Did you feel something?"

Jeb: Shrugs, looks at controls "All systems nominal."

Both stare silently as cargo bay goes floating by.

This is strangely relevant to the screenshot I was about to post. In my case, Jeb, Bill and Bob were looking at the pretty fireworks, apparently not realizing it's their own ship that exploded into bits.

This ship explodes each time I load it :( cause: a clipped part, and I even know which one. I just don't know how to solve it. Sucky part is that if I spam timewarp it'll load just fine, but I can't decouple the clipped part during timewarp and when returning to 1x speed it explodes. There goes my entire Jool mission :(

3FBGg71.jpg

Given all the discussion elsewhere, I thought I had better test to see if FAR was working properly.

Below, I have just deliberately stalled the Tiger Moth-alike and gone into a tail slide. After taking the pic I pushed the rudder over, flipped it and dropped a few hundred metres nose down to regain flying speed before pulling out. (Test= passed)

Mi3tI5Gl.png

At the other end of the scale, size-wise, I took the Comet airliner out for a circuit of the bay. Climbing steadily at just over cruising power while executing a banked turn on the second circuit over the island. (Test= passed)

QkXLZlVl.png

Thanks to careful trimming, you will see that both planes fly hands off without Autostab/SAS, just using stick and throttle. I do sometimes put the SAS on when landing the Comet, but only because I am still flying with keyboard and I can't make more than 2 control inputs simultaneously!

Mind you, these are both based on real-life aircraft. Not many pics survive of my attempts at aircraft design.

Not many aircraft survive either...

Pretty routine refueling mission to refuel my station, so I won't post about that. what I did do though is discover that if I have a lot of fuel and don't use it all (I still need a little bit to de-orbit), I can actually land the thing for re-use. And even then, Mechjeb can spazz out on me. when it did that this time, I had to abort the landing and do it myself.

I also recorded the whole thing:

I thought it'd be fun to make a plane as sort of a "last hurrah" for KSP's old aerodynamic system. I'm not sure if FAR models ground effects. I know KSP doesn't, but this thing has so much lift and is so gentle you can pretty much scrape the ocean with confidence. I'm actually fairly certain it'd fly using FAR so I'll be saving the craft for another install.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I thought it'd be fun to make a plane as sort of a "last hurrah" for KSP's old aerodynamic system. I'm not sure if FAR models ground effects. I know KSP doesn't, but this thing has so much lift and is so gentle you can pretty much scrape the ocean with confidence. I'm actually fairly certain it'd fly using FAR so I'll be saving the craft for another install.

http://imgur.com/a/grwXu

It's has a certain je ne sais quoi. A faint smell of vodka and squatting emanate from my PC as I view this. I am having naughty thoughts about tracksuits too, what's going on!

I wonder how fair Ferram's Better Buoyancy would handle it actually skimming the water.

Edited by Axelord FTW

Embraced B9 for heavy cargo lifting (orange tank + 2.5m monoprop in the bay).

XGJAIRF.jpg

Rejoice at the 85 parts including cargo! Soooo much smoother to fly than a 150 part MK3 stock craft... Design needs refinement, don't like the canards, but it worked :)