What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Finally got around to start a new career after switching around some mods ( got rid of B9 for the RAM cost, finally have TAC LS back and so got MKS too). So far I did a few surveys, reached orbit twice and will now set up my comsat network around Kerbin.

Those surveys needed a lot of legwork from Jeb, since landing a jet with only the Firespitter biplane wheels available is too tricky for me as I had to find out again. So he flew into the area of the eva surveys in question and ejected, using his personal chute to land safely.

Yesterday my rocket company completed it's first contract. I also did some work on my Maxi Shuttle

The main body of today's work involved the long awaited upgrade to the micro-shuttle in the form of the inventively named midi-shuttle is a key move forwards on the road to the maxi-shuttle. If that wasn't enough of a mouthful, Dinklestein has even installed snack bays in the all new Midi, with capacity for 6 crew (cargo version planned). Capable of ~750k orbits with plenty of fuel left over for orbital shenanigans. Just remember to Press 6, R, and T before launch, then hands off the wheel until staging time. Press 1 after the R.A.P.I.E.R changes to closed cycle (to close the intakes) and throttle back to zero just as the fuel in the Rockomax Jumbo-64 get's dry so you don't burn the shuttles fuel supply. Then stage and watch the form. 10/10 on this one folks!

Only 90 parts and 96t :)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

SM

AutomatedIonStation_zps73739466.jpg

Ion exploration seemed like a good idea to me, so I put this Automated Ion Refueling Station into orbit around Minmus. For use with small ion probes only. The thing holds 12200 units of Xenon. Chose Minmus because it's close by and will minimize Dv needed.

Spent a good chunk of my evening working on a DocMoriarty-style transporter spaceplane that would send a Geschosskopf Sci Pack Munar lander to LKO, stay in orbit while it went and did its business, and then bring it back down to KSC. Got a bit anxious trying to fly the thing; getting the cargo frame shaped correctly was a challenge in and of itself (still Level 2 Runway and SPH, see), and in the end I would up with a craft with a short fuselage and long wingspan. Thinking on it again this morning, because I hadn't ballasted the thing properly I had a craft with a tendency to nose down and insufficient pitch authority to correct for it - she couldn't make it past 12k. I'll have to overhaul the design tonight - I still think the idea has merit. I just need to re-ballast the plane so the CoM is better balanced and reposition the wings so that the CoL isn't as far above the CoM as it was. Increasing the length of the craft and re-positioning the elevators for better pitch authority wouldn't hurt either.

Spent the rest of the evening finishing up a batch of contracts I'd had outstanding for a while. This included putting a satellite in a geosynchronous Kerbin orbit, satellite in Munar orbit, putting a space station in Kerbolar orbit, landing a base on Minmus and putting a materials bay satellite in Minmus orbit. Made a lot of cash; I was up to √1,800,000 by night's end, enough of a cushion that I felt comfortable upgrading the SPH to Level 3. My SSTM plane runs about √200,000; going to need the thing if I can get it to work...

Started a new sandbox save, all stock except for NEAR, Proc. Fairings and Texture Replacer. I made my biggest spaceplane yet, and my first spaceplane in NEAR (I've always been more of a rocket man):

EFF6E061151025F166B4CCDD2617ABCBD60673D3

Something is missing. Something very, very important is missing. You can probably see what, in fact, is missing...

As a direct result of the missing part, I had to build a memorial to the terrified brave and foolish heroic pilot, Hensey Kerman.

4F66CB692E6F794A84AA5A0E78EE432842079F5C

RIP in peace, Hensey. RIP in peace :(

Ashflare, no tail? Yeah, NEAR won't like that much.

Yeaaahhp, didn't notice until re-entry. In all fairness it actually flew pretty well, it got into orbit fine, but went into a flat spin when it was slowing down for landing. Turns out yaw authority is a thing that aircraft actually need. Who knew.

After some extensive R&D i've finally gotten my completed Laythe VTOL SSTO into orbit from Kerbin. It's 3 years early atleast, I still need to fully map Laythe and then scout out a suitable landing site with a rover, then maybe send a Habitat over in advance.

On Kerbin it can't even VTOL at full load, but that's will full rocket fuel and a pretty heavy rover carried inside. The VTOL engines will help it come down on a very short strip, and it'll be a lot lighter to VTOL away when they're leaving.

The ship on top is there to extract the crew while it sits in a low parking orbit. The port it's using will be used to stick the transfer stage and crew habitat for the journey on. It's balanced to be directly over the COM when it's at full load.

gKaPXV0.png

Edited by Aegrim

Finalized. Ready for marketing and subassembly publication. This replica STS-5 payload is a single, yes single, subassembly. Publication tomorrow night. See my STS sig link.

hln87fJ.png

and yes... its spinning out of the bay beautifully.

and yes... its spinning out of the bay beautifully.

So good! Lovely clean lines too. What's the payload max weight to orbit on that?

edit: I get that the post is about the sub-assembly which btw +rep, but I was wondering the above also :)

Edited by Speeding Mullet

Finished designing Gilly base (with nukes to explore the planetoid), got it to orbit, sent an old tanker to rendezvous with it to top off the fuel and... underestimated the approach velocity.

9d69ab84c5d9.png

Epic facepalm. Now I'll have to clean the orbit.

So I decided to give the idea of launching a Mun lander to LKO via spaceplane one last shot. As I was last typing on this thread, I realized what I needed to do was re-ballast the plane so the CoM didn't drift upwards as much, then reposition the CoT and CoL afterwards to account for the changes. So I did that - I used a couple of RCS Cylinders set below the payload to re-balance, adjusted the position of the engine clusters so that the CoT was better aligned and re-positioned the wings to put the CoL in better position. I also adjusted the position of the rudders; they were largely ineffective where they were originally. Since I now have a Level 3 SPH, I went ahead and moved my action groups around (and added a few extra action group functions). After all the adjustments, I put Jeb and Bill in the cans, fired her up and this happened:

hV7NlsH.png

The boys are on the way to the Mun now. I'm a little concerned about the return; the lander didn't want to come out of the bay at first and it has no chutes, because it's supposed to rendezvous with the plane upon return to Kerbin and the plane is supposed to take it back down. Going to suck if I get back and I can't get the damn thing in to dock again - but I still think I achieved a thing of awesomeness last night. Going to be sweet if it actually does dock back up - that'd be a mission to the Mun, 100% reusable for just the cost of fuel. Which probably is substantial - it's a √220,000 craft as is...

So good! Lovely clean lines too. What's the payload max weight to orbit on that?

edit: I get that the post is about the sub-assembly which btw +rep, but I was wondering the above also :)

The STS linked in my sig, can lift 42 tons to 300km. The subassembly is only 8 tons.

Edited by inigma

I wanted to build a base on Duna, the only problem is that I haven't visited the Duna system yet. So I sent a couple of Kerbals to go visit first. Then I ran out of fuel in the capture burn over Duna, so these guys are kind of stranded for now... I'm going to have to send out a rescue ship :\