What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I was inspired by the

and decided to try something similar in KSP. I hadn't built planes for ages, and I've never really tried them in FAR, but that didn't matter. It's not too hard to build a plane that takes off, flies more or less straight, and remains controllable, as long as it doesn't have to land safely.

jet_launch_1.jpeg

The first thing I learned was that you'll have to climb very steeply to get the payload to orbit. 65 degrees with payload release at 8 km worked reasonably well.

jet_launch_2.jpeg

jet_launch_3.jpeg

First it looked like I had launched the plane to space, because the empty plane had a much higher TWR than the rocket.

jet_launch_4.jpeg

jet_launch_5.jpeg

I began preliminary testing for the Kerbal Polar express.

BSS6LIa.jpg

QZ7BQua.jpg

TO5qHSg.jpg

sG53q3R.jpg

ajmEJIG.jpg

HBCXEQy.jpg

4MSMFFV.jpg

Yes I hope to someday drive this to the north pole. Although mebjeb rover autopilot seems to not work with modular multi wheels, making it much more difficult. I did successfully get one test model about 25KM from KSC.

I finished refueling my refueling station. Attached to it is the fuel barge I use to refuel it. It still has about 4/5 of the fuel it can carry when it gets there. Thing still has 1,352dV in it so I may try a daring landing on Mun with it, even though it's not designed for that. yeps, 'tis how I roll. And apparently how I roll is how Jeb rolls. And I think he wants to marry me because of it.

FinishedFueling_zpsc11b8a87.jpg

Regular crew shift arrival at the mining colony on Mün.

n7DBuMN.jpg

One of the colonists sitting atop of a storage module, before he gets to...

3b5smCO.jpg

do some more construction work...

YKgItvX.jpg

Sometime later: the (most likely) finalized colony with another crew bus at the bottom left.

obJ9fID.jpg

Testing a new LKO crew launch system.

Fu1jgXU.jpg

Simulation of an interplanetary travel vehicle that is still on the drawing board (pictures from simulated flights). Its purpose will be to move crews to upcoming colonies within the Kerbol system. With 6k dV it will be able to reach pretty much any celestial body and has capacity of up to 20 Kerbals that it can keep alive for two earth-years.

YVQ9fou.jpg

Simulated docking test at the KSS-1.

DGEFqgD.jpg

Picking up Bill from a training academy in LKO on which he served as a teacher for engineers.

wlDvhEr.jpg

As a first step to establish a Kaborundum mining colony on Eeloo, an entire OKS space station as a foothold and fallback option is launched in one go.

T9HdNVU.jpg

Launch booster seperation.

nNzNmL5.jpg

Leaving Kerbin.

45fjBHa.jpg

Arrival at Eeloo.

995HAwh.jpg

After some orbit adjustments...

vKzCns9.jpg

the travel stage gets seperated.

rzWRe0e.jpg

The station with inflated modules, ready and waiting for the arrival of the first crew.

BkfUUFb.jpg

I began preliminary testing for the Kerbal Polar express.

http://i.imgur.com/BSS6LIa.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QZ7BQua.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/TO5qHSg.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/sG53q3R.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ajmEJIG.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/HBCXEQy.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4MSMFFV.jpg

Yes I hope to someday drive this to the north pole. Although mebjeb rover autopilot seems to not work with modular multi wheels, making it much more difficult. I did successfully get one test model about 25KM from KSC.

What couples the cars? Just docking ports?

Am I the only one in love with subassemblies?

The STS ComSat (STS-5) subassembly WIP. All stock parts. The sats launch and rotate out of the bay like the real thing. Still more final tweaks and design to do. A WIP since the sats sometimes crash into the sides and it's time for bed. Hopefully released later this week. I sooo much want to do a vid showing off my recent subassemblies. Link to my STS Shuttle is in my sig.

Look familiar?

tjUG6tg.png

uhQsg65.png

kCPqaHM.png

YvyDg6G.png

- - - Updated - - -

Look familiar?

Y83ubAX.png

STS Space Shuttle link in my thread. This is one of many subassemblies I am working on.

Edited by inigma

I thought it would be nice to have a fuel tanker rover that could land and re-orbit.

I came up with the idea of putting the wheels on Infernal Robotics gantry rails. That way they can be symmetric in flight. Once we've landed, the wheels can be lowered into place.

HEVBkcJ.jpg

But therein lay a problem: what we've got is an STOL rover. Sideways takeoff and landing. I got inspiration from watching the rocket tilt when I moved the wheels. With an addition of a wheeled boom:

C2TVwMp.jpg

The tilt can be controlled into a steady decent.

GK5GCU9.jpg

Ready to roll!

5qsRTUR.jpg

Arrival: docked with my Karbonite pilot plant to pick up fuel. The Karbonite mod is great fun.

qXiWZph.jpg

Version 2 on approach: boom on either side for more controlled and less terrifying tilting. The first version needed the main engine's help to get the tilt past the balance point. How KSP is that? Rockets solve everything!

V2. also has much better landing gear: less breakable on a hard landing. The legs are set on pistons, so they can present a broad landing base, then retract to allow driving without plowing up the Mun. It's servo-licous!

Farted around last night with a spaceplane that was designed to be single-stage to the Mun and back. Wound up not going to the Mun due to insufficient delta-V for a round trip, though the design did make orbit.

Started playing around with the notion of using a spaceplane to launch a Munar excursion module to LKO, using the plane as both the Kerbin launch and re-entry vehicle. Designed the Munar transfer and landing stage and then started crunching the numbers for what kind of plane I'd need to do the job. I think I came to the conclusion that I'd wind up hitting the Level 2 SPH part limit.

So really, what I did last night was come to the conclusion that I need to bite the bullet and upgrade the SPH to Level 3 already...

Had a buggy night,

Sent the science core to my space station last night, launched, and rendezvoused in 8 minutes, two minutes later docking ports aligned pulled together and seem as if they docked. :cool: Left to go pick up my daughter, came back restarted the flight and no dock. Spent the next 45 minutes aligning, approaching, bumping ports with no dock. Checked docking ports, they are on ok, what's going on? Finally give up and EVA the two Kerbals over to the station, and rage de-orbit the science node and time warp until it hits atmosphere. :mad: As the node starts to glow, remember/ that there are two more kerbals in the hitch hiker body, why weren't they showing up in the crew window? :blush: I would've EVA'd them over too. And I just give up for the night.

Wake up early this morning, launch the exact same ship and have it launched and hard docked in 30 minutes. Notice that my station batteries are rapidly losing charge. So turned off the OKS modules until I can get the "Nukler" power plant launched and docked.

Launched and docked the two pieces of my space station Horizon. All parts used are stock, except for the 3 SCANSAT parts near the bottom of the station.

Still needs a little refinement in Sandbox before moving the rockets to career. I will need to strut up the area where the tri-coupler is at the very bottom. Also should add a Thermoelectric generator to the upper station. The bottom has 4, the upper ran out of power while trying to dock as the panels were retracted. Then adjust the lighting which I'm never satisfied with. I forget the exact part count at the moment but it is around 260-280 completed.

5OyUJ4b.jpg

goZ9kqO.jpg

u3i3yYJ.jpg

FE1gKmu.jpg

P4hI3Iv.jpg

5whvR9k.jpg

Kh1fE1r.jpg

ySyj5Dd.jpg

Pushed out MRS 1.5.1, including the optional "Lite" version of the mod, which has considerably fewer parts, focusing just on the more unique/interesting/popular parts.

Part of the impetus to create the "Lite" pack is that I know there are a lot of people who would like to use the Quad-Nuke, or the cargo bays, or the landing legs, or the docking helpers, but don't care about all the various fuel tanks, jet parts, and adapters that the "full" version includes. So here's a screenshot of the manufacturer tab showing how few parts the "Lite" version has:

MRS-Lite-menu.jpg

The banner image I posted to KerbalStuff with it:

MRS-Lite.jpg

I just launched a couple of satellites, and simplified my manual launch delay schedule. I set a recurring alarm with KAC for every 7 days, so my launches are always in the morning (ensuring a daylight launch) and putting a week between launches so I'm not going from the first ever launch to colonizing jool in a month. I want to use KCT for this, but it keeps bugging out :(

Accepted a contract for building a station for Minmus. Assembled the sections in LKO and tried to have it towed to Minmus without any joy. Turned out my towing vessel did have enough delta v to do the job. Didn't budge an inch.

Today I made a few airplanes. Two may end up having a use, one was just for fun.

First one was a Biplane, done as I had yet to make one and because I was interested how it would perform. It is capable of flying at speeds below 30m/s and has a seat behind the main cockpit for a passenger. I think it is the most easy to fly plane I have designed so far. The science bay and dual-radial intakes are purely fitted for aesthetic reasons. The spotlights are fitted as my first test flights were conducted at night.

tumblr_njl3ezJjeT1unut60o1_1280.png

Second was a T-Tail passenger jet with space for 28 Kerbals. There is also a three-engine variant (not pictured) which is somewhat similar to the Boeing 727, forgetfulness resulted in a lack of a tailcone in the screenshot. This design wobbles under time acceleration, likely as the fuselage has no struts being quite long. I should probably have placed the struts on the wings underneath them rather than on top of them to make it look tidier.

tumblr_njl3ezJjeT1unut60o3_1280.png

Finally, I designed a tiny plane which is launched from a larger plane, this was for two reasons:

1. It's quite fun trying to cram an entire plane into such a small area

2. Releasing an aircraft in flight is quite entertaining, even if of limited use in this design.

The launch plane is a fairly boring design. On the small plane, once the controls are configured so that one set of wing-controls handles roll, one set handles pitch, and the tail handles rudder, it's actually surprisingly flyable - albeit hard (though possible!) to land, hence the parachutes.

tumblr_njl3ezJjeT1unut60o6_1280.png

tumblr_njl3ezJjeT1unut60o2_1280.png

tumblr_njl3ezJjeT1unut60o8_1280.png

Landed a Nastybird on the runway at KSC. I'm proud of myself. :)

I'm getting a hang of this "gliding" thing. Man, 1.0 is going to be a bit of an adjustment.

Edit: almost forgot, made the Nastybird project completely recoverable. At least, if you have the end-game tech and 100 and some odd thousand space bucks. It turns out that two of the big 3-point-something meter tanks and one big engine cluster (the biggest stock one) can take a Nastybird straight to orbit in one stage with return fuel to spare. The booster just deorbits itself then floats down on 12 chutes and uses any fuel left to soften the landing.

Edited by moogoob