What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I had to say good-bye to Bill, Tedrim, and Thompile. They were on their way to the Mun in order to collect surface samples. This was also the first multi-Kerbal exploration (Jeb has already logged 3 missions and it was time for the B Team to get some flight time). The launch went extremely well and the lander successfully landed on the Mun. Unfortunately, this is where the mission went awry. Upon the first EVA, Bill left the safety of the lander to explore. Upon engaging his personal RCS thrusters there was a catastrophic failure, which launched poor Bill on suicidal trajectory. After bouncing more than 2 km away from the lander, Bill was unable to move. There was life in his eyes, however, so a rescue mission was planned immediately. Tedrim was next out on an EVA in order to render aid to Bill. Unfortunately, Tedrim called off sick the day training was held at KSC on personal mobility in space. This meant this was Tedrim's first time actually using his thrusters. Upon disembarking from the lander, Tedrim was unable to control his thrusters and ended up taking out both solar panels which were providing all electricity to the lander. Once he got his bearings set, Tedrim was off to help Bill. Unfortunately, Tedrim was not paying attention to his horizontal speed and ended up traveling across the Munar surface at close to 50 m/s. Unable to get himself back under control, Tedrim crashed into the Munar surface and was never seen again. A poof of gray smoke cleared away leaving no trace of Tedrim. Scared out of his mind losing his two friends Thompile made the unwise decision to lift off of the surface of the Mun without planting a flag. Upon initial liftoff, it was observed that the fuel tanks were quickly running dry. Thompile, after losing 2 of his friends, decided not to be stranded in space and die a slow, hungry death. Upon reaching 4km above the Munar surface, with barely enough fuel to complete the turn, Thompile re-oriented the craft for a crash trajectory into the surface.

Bill might still be alive up there, but with no flag or lander nearby, it will take some time to find him. It was a bad day in KSC.

I completed the space station contract with a science station that keeps on giving. I have already unlocked most of the tech tree with this thing!

In doing this, I also completed my first really successful docking! YAY! I used MechJeb to launch (because I'm lazy, not because I don't know how) and to rendevous (because I don't know how, yet). It took me a few tries to get the orientation correct so I could use the RCS effectively - Thanks DasValdez for the dorsal battery idea! The docking alignment indicator mod was utterly useless to me because I didn't know what the lines and symbols meant, I would much rather have just mounted a camera near the docking port. But I finally got it done.

dgXwGFC.png

I had to say good-bye to Bill, Tedrim, and Thompile. They were on their way to the Mun in order to collect surface samples. This was also the first multi-Kerbal exploration (Jeb has already logged 3 missions and it was time for the B Team to get some flight time). The launch went extremely well and the lander successfully landed on the Mun. Unfortunately, this is where the mission went awry. Upon the first EVA, Bill left the safety of the lander to explore. Upon engaging his personal RCS thrusters there was a catastrophic failure, which launched poor Bill on suicidal trajectory. After bouncing more than 2 km away from the lander, Bill was unable to move. There was life in his eyes, however, so a rescue mission was planned immediately. Tedrim was next out on an EVA in order to render aid to Bill. Unfortunately, Tedrim called off sick the day training was held at KSC on personal mobility in space. This meant this was Tedrim's first time actually using his thrusters. Upon disembarking from the lander, Tedrim was unable to control his thrusters and ended up taking out both solar panels which were providing all electricity to the lander. Once he got his bearings set, Tedrim was off to help Bill. Unfortunately, Tedrim was not paying attention to his horizontal speed and ended up traveling across the Munar surface at close to 50 m/s. Unable to get himself back under control, Tedrim crashed into the Munar surface and was never seen again. A poof of gray smoke cleared away leaving no trace of Tedrim. Scared out of his mind losing his two friends Thompile made the unwise decision to lift off of the surface of the Mun without planting a flag. Upon initial liftoff, it was observed that the fuel tanks were quickly running dry. Thompile, after losing 2 of his friends, decided not to be stranded in space and die a slow, hungry death. Upon reaching 4km above the Munar surface, with barely enough fuel to complete the turn, Thompile re-oriented the craft for a crash trajectory into the surface.

Bill might still be alive up there, but with no flag or lander nearby, it will take some time to find him. It was a bad day in KSC.

*sniff* Poor bill...

Today. Matched planes out of Moho for Eeloo, and now on a 5 hour burn same. Need to drop some large Xenon tanks in about an hour and see if I can normalize the lag. Eeloo here we come (in 3.5 years).

I can't see how you kill a kerbal EVAing from a space craft (unless the craft is 150 meters tall). Set EVA fuel to infinite, then send him back to kerbin orbit and rescue him, how do you think all those other kerbals got into rescue orbit? Get MechJeb and set Bill as the landing site.

This.

-snip-

Epic! Now you just gotta make it walk ;)

Today (yesterday, rather) I made a new VTOL jet. It started as a basic jet for training, but when I added another jet engine to the bottom it became so much more. Losing speed when switching from Cruise to VTOL needs some refinement (using RCS to slow it currently), but it's otherwise very stable and has a nice escape pod.

I can't see how you kill a kerbal EVAing from a space craft (unless the craft is 150 meters tall). Set EVA fuel to infinite, then send him back to kerbin orbit and rescue him, how do you think all those other kerbals got into rescue orbit? Get MechJeb and set Bill as the landing site.

Bill is gone. Any suggestion of such a rescue operation is merely wishful thinking.

Today I saved Maller Kerman after his landing on Minmus for a mission and then realized he had no parachute to bring the science back. He only had 4 days of life support remaining so Mathat spent 2 days trying out space planes and kept failing. Final result was some spare fuel and life support so both of them can probably stop by my space station to drop off the extra fuel.

http://i.imgur.com/TyLQCQR.png

Edgas, Edmund, & Billy-Bobrim wake after another fitful "night." But they are encouraged, today they set foot on the Mün. Selena undocks, and with plenty of fuel now, makes an uneventful descent to the build site. Also visible is the descent stage from Isfjell 1 nearly a year ago.

iuYLMXD.png

Selena settles to a perfect touch down, with only a hint of wobble on the uneven ground. The crew spend a couple of hours checking systems and EVA suits, then open the hatch.

aVxSgbh.png

Rover driver Billy-Bobrim descends the ladder first. He spend the last rest period mumbling in his sleep again. Ed & Ed are a bit worried about him, but he's enthusiastic and ready for work.

3hIst0Y.png

Billy-Bobrim inspects the rover thoroughly. No obvious damage, he gives Mission Control the go-ahead to drop the gear remotely...

8uVpodg.png

...and the rover leans over, then bounces lightly on its wheels, as designed. They even remembered to set the parking brake. Billy clambers aboard and begins checking over the systems, everything looks good.

DoDRtiO.png

The first order of business is to decouple that docking port that's blocking most of his view...

nInxUOR.png

...it explodes satisfyingly a few meters away.

p5QRZ7Q.png

Meanwhile, Edmund has descended the ladder and made his way to the toppled life support trailer. The damage doesn't look as bad from out here. He attaches a spare RTG from the rover to restore power, then backs off, while Mission Control tries futilely again to flip it with the built in reaction wheels.

yKsWmfy.png

Edgas can see the trailer is hanging up on a pylon. He detaches it, Mission Control tries again, but still no luck. It's time for MOAR BOOSTERS POWER!

cCEemjI.png

Billy-Bobrim brings up the rover, and attempts to nudge the trailer over. He backs off, tries another angle, then tries again. The trailer weighs half again as much as the rover, and every time he starts making progress, the front-wheel-drive rover just lifts up & bounces.

xm2EWQy.png

Out of frustration, Billy-Bobrim channels his inner redneck, gleefully yells, "Hey y'all, hold mah non-alcoholic-fermented-space-beverage-in-a-bag and watch this!", pops the rover into 4-lo, and guns it!

hqNR4ki.png

The extra traction works, and after some bouncing & scrabbling, the trailer finally flips over onto its wheels. With only a few extra dents.

dat3Smp.png

Now it's just a simple matter of hooking up...

6fbrEfP.png

...and raising the gear. Edgas climbs aboard the rover, and they do another systems check. Despite the rough handling, the life support trailer is still in good working over. The two drive it up to the still powerless base, but further assembly will have to wait.

3dJJXPN.png

It's been a long work cycle. Even with their eagerness for more space, Billy-Bobrim & Edgas retreat to Selena while Mission Control runs more checks on the LST. Tomorrow, if all goes well, they'll finally open the hatch to their new home. Billy-Bobrim is still practically bouncing off the walls...

nzt49N6.png

Launched a Minmus lander during a coffee break - it's currently waiting in LKO to pick up a crew, then will head on out to fulfil science data, flag and base contracts (which will be good, as I'm currently a bit down on funds from launching a mapping network off-contract).

Open an Imgur account and learned how, after 27 years on the internet, to upload an image to a chat forum.

aoQ4j47 <-where image should be

This image shows my 0.90 creation (largely stock parts) heading to Eeloo after altering inclination out of Moho. It was, after dealing with lag, a 12 hour burn.

-----

Only to find it still does not work.

http://imgur.com/aoQ4j47

Edited by PB666

Farted around with trying to get that GT 620 I installed in my box to work properly again. Everything's working - the motherboard recognizes the card on POST, I'm getting a signal through it - except that it's not; Win7 is telling me that one of the PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridges doesn't work and that "Your computer's system firmware does not include enough information to properly configure and use this device." Solution is apparently to update the BIOS. Fine and dandy except that's not working either; I've got the right files for my motherboard for sure but I keep getting the message that the files are "invalid" when the existing BIOS checks them (and no re-flash occurs, which has probably saved me from bricking my home desktop). At this point, I'm ready to put a discount brick through someone else's computer (it being a tremendous waste of money to put said brick through my own computer, of course).

Until I get this fixed, I can't run KSP. And I reallllllllllly want to run KSP at this point......

I don't suppose there's anybody out there with any ideas for what else I can try. I'd hate to take the card out (and go back to nVidia 7200-equivalent onboard suckville on graphics) but it's looking like my only option at this point.

I finally launched my Duna-Ike exploration mission.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Under that fairing there's a nuclear/ion mapping satellite, plus an atmospheric lander (for Duna) and a low-G void lander (for Ike). The mapping satellite will max out science around Duna, before burning for Ike, and mapping it too.

The whole mission cost around 400k - the contracts it fulfills get me around 800k (so a profit of ~400k), and the whole thing should max out my tech tree.