What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

The large adapter makes an ideal hull for lots of stuff and you can easily move stuff insi now, using the new gizmos. I do that myself often and i like the new gizmo thingies a lot. Besides that, the lander looks awesome.

It does. :)

Took the Aqua MKII out for a little stroll today, at first I wanted to go to Mun but I reconsidered.......

TuUIlf6.png

Finally got to test my faring not a faring opening up to reveal the contents inside. Inside there is a return capsule, called Anomaly, and the lander, called Aquarius.

d0YAykh.png

Aquarius made it down to Duna's surface with just a small amount of engine input, I will remedy this with a few more chutes though fuel is not really a concern.

u8g24qx.png

The SpaceM Nastybird GL... performance space shuttle. Flies like a rocket, lands like a gliding brick.

The other craft you see docked to the space station is its predecessor, a Nastybird Mk2, before wings. It was essentially a lifting-body & docking tech test platform. It was deemed that a controllable landing was of top priority, so the GL program was born.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The last couple of days I have been playing around getting myself warm and fuzzy with planes and eventually space planes, well given the available parts in my career save. Today I unlocked the turbo jet engine and ram intakes and decided to check the launch profile. I certainly I was shocked at the results. Managed to get myself into space at 115k and coasted back down to KSC. During the landing I fully realized something needs to be adjusted because attempting to land on the runway was very difficult as I was producing too much lift and it was a challenged keeping a gentle descent. Perhaps my CoL is too far from my CoM will have to further refine when I make the adjustments for rocket engines. Anyways here's a couple pictures. Quite proud of myself. [Apologize in advance is this is too long]

63km and that single TurboJet is still pushing.

5XOIMnw.jpg

Around 70k lost all thrust and ended up with 115k Apoapsis

xQP1odN.png

Surprised myself that I was able to land safely at the KSC, still trying to get the hang of landing.

0LSavAY.jpg

Did a quick sandbox duna mission today to test a) my latest lander and B) how many snacks are necessary for a round trip. The lander has still some flaws though.

http://i.imgur.com/b9fpDb8.png

Hey you all, glad you like it.

The lander is stock. There is a X200-16 fuel tank with a big probe core, a Sr. docking port and the landing legs inside that ADTP-2-3 Adapter. It is still a bit overpowered for duna, but Bob likes a little safety margin :)

Problem: It can't redock with it's mothership. Maybe the collision mesh of those LV-909s is bigger than it looks. (?) I'll have to test that next week.

Sry for late reply. I'm visiting friends over the weekend.

Have fun :)

Went ahead, and took a break from my station building to focus on the first relay satellites around the Mun for communications. I haven't a clear picture of how to do it, but decided to go ahead and improvise.

I ended up with 2 satellites around the Mun. One, the supposedly main homing/relay one (aptly named MunRelay Homing #01) is in a very high orbit, almost semi-synchronous (1790+ km). The second one is in a Mun polar orbit. Seems like the two little guys are able to pretty much stay in contact with eachothers and with the rest of the comm satellite around Kerbin, so I'd call that at least a partial succes.

The guys at KSC went on doing their things the usual weird ways, launching MunRelay #02 first, and completely forgetting about recording the MunRelay Homing #01 operations. Pictures of that are lost forever...

MunRelay #01 still attached to its trans-Munar stage. That thing ended up being a waste of dV: even after the inclination changes to get the orbit polar (more or less) it still had 1k dV inside.

viKsIY1.png

...and here, performing Mun injection and subsequent inclination change.

XvsXCcP.png

At KSC they hope to be able to find a way to recover the lost pictures about the MunRelay Homing #01 part of the mission. The magnetic tapes are swirling fast.

I did not out of space today. Back in RSS, an attempt to land a poorly designed Mars rover went poorly. (Note, do not attempt to land on Olympus Mons with a single drogue parachute,)

The engine was aligned with the CoM, but the chute was not, leading to a wobbly descent, causing me not to be able to direct the thrust downward. THe next rover will be Phoenix, rising from the ashes of the failed pathfinder.

My "precision landing" skills have been getting somewhat better, so I decided to try for a specific location I'd never been before, and do a spot of sightseeing. On the plus side, I succeeded. On the other hand, this establishes that OMG THE TINY-HEADED GIANT SPACE ALIENS ARE REAL!!!Sightseeing.png

- - - Updated - - -

The above is the first Easter Egg I've ever managed to actually FIND, so it's a big deal to me. (I don't count the Island Airfield, since it's Right There if you ever look down and east during a routine launch, and so it's pretty hard to miss.)

What I didn't do today.....

My ships are disappearing, gone without a trace. I've lost two probes around Moho, and just now another one just moments away from a Duna intercept. This most frequent occurred while in the Tracking Station with very little time-warp in progress. Just as the ship approached the initial encounter point, I slowed warp to normal time, then clicked to fly the vessel... the screen went black and super lag ensued. ESCaping out to KSC left me with another black screen. Exiting out of the game and examining the Persistent file shows no trace of the ship. Time wasted. This is really starting to .... me off. This is the kind of thing that lends my opinion that this game is not stable ... and needs to stay in Beta until such things are fixed. In the mean time, we've got big fancy explosions and girl Kerbals. :/

I assembled, and launched my first manned munar mission in my .90 career. Launcher gets a 22t dummy payload into high suborbital(~200dV required for circularization) really easy, but getting my actual 21.x t lander/cm into orbit was a whole lot trickier, took about five tries until I got a high enough ap to be able to finish my docking maneuvers before circularization. Also the reason for the massive amount of tailfins, the payload test launcher did not have any.

I really wanted to do something more exciting for a landing than just the usual bare bones simple single stage landers/return vehicles I usually do. Fredrick and Meldas are now waiting in a 105km orbit for their transmunar injection burn, but thats for tomorrow.

First time I dock something in KSP though, even if it was just spinning 180 degrees! took about 2min while coasting to ap, heartrate was through the roof and I was sitting straight up concentrating hard. :P Nevertheless, I'm a happy camper. Goodnight.