What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

2015-02-05_00001_zpspxfjkh0b.jpg

After many trail and error attempts, after many engine configurations and balance improvements I finally retied my old warhorse "Unchosen" from service. I just could not find find a way to improve the design without completely remaking the entire aircraft.

A few enthusiasts turn out to experience the last flight of the old SP 'Balmoral' (So called because it flies just like a castle doesn't). Not a pretty plane but the one that brought affordable space travel to the masses. *nostalgic sigh*

UzBFSU0.jpg

Meanwhile, now I have installed some 0.90 parts, final tests can take place on the prototype of the 'Twyford' class bog-standard passenger plane. Here No. 001 is returning from the Space Station 'Watford Gap' and flying conventionally after a successful re-entry. Milfurt & Buzz are piloting while Jeb is coming home passenger after a long stay in space. His cabin light is on as he is testing the in-flight magazines for their soporific and absorbent qualities.

XzwYMI0.jpg

More STS building and testing. Going to cut OMS fuel, MMH/NTO is heavy. That will gain me some DV from the tank, which should be enough to get 99% of the way to orbit. After transitioning to the VAB for assembly, there have been some engine attachment issues.

8B7Fm1u.png

G4vh0pI.png

Finished my refueling station:

RefuelingStation_zps38f4b55e.jpg

It just needed that tiny module at the bottom, and the rocket I used to haul it up there was threatening to hit the station, so I had to give it a little gas, stage to the module, then flip it off of the end. Flew all the way back with RCS, and docked it.

That orange tank structure was launched as is, so I still have yet to fill it completely

Today, I got my most expensive ship in orbit so far.

Around 700k worth (excluding the cost of the lifter itself, the whole thing ran just short of a million kerbdosh.

Which is a harrowing thought when you realize that kash stood for a third of my whole budget at the time.

The LF-9 Magnetoplasmadynamic engine isn't cheap nor is the MX-1 Fission Reactor.

But hey, I now have a great interplanetary engine section up in orbit. It's actually orbiting Minmus right now. Ready to get its LH2 replenished.

I intend to have the section ferry other crafts back and forth between planets.

With a heavy craft on top (20 ish tons?), it should still have 10k d/v.

Edited by Axelord FTW

Released my Tylo lander today, I'm calling it the Gecko. :)

pGukVTw.jpg

This is Jeb getting ready to do a hillstart.

UWAOjIF.jpg

My word that really is steep!

VRi8iiy.jpg

Phew, that's better.

W2OE52V.jpg

You can check the craft out here if you like: :wink:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/109736-Quite-possibly-everything-you-could-ever-want-from-a-dropship-lander-Oh-and-it-does-Tylo-too!

Cupcake...

A little boring, but practiced orbital rendezvous and docking (which I only got the hang of a couple of days ago). I have a nice little station going in HKO, with Jeb and Bill currently visiting, but I don't think there's enough left in their tanks for either to de-orbit. Oh well, at least the view is good.

Well, I've been flying this a bit. 200 tons to LKO with 12 mainsail engines in total. The droptanks I use are about 25% cheaper per unit of fuel than the stock orange tanks so with stock parts you'd probably get like 650k cost not including the 57k cost of the top two 200t payload stand-in tanks. I have strutted the engines like a madman, but the droptanks seem to do just excellent with 8 struts each, haven't tried 4.

EDIT: If you're going to copy it, turn off gimbal on the engines and note the wings on the droptanks. Turn on gimbal at high altitude.

jdAaXEP.png

MWgeSfF.png

After five days worth of headaches, I reluctantly took the GT 620 I'd put in my box alongside my new memory chips out, putting me squarely back at GeForce 7025 suckville. As soon as I got the graphics drivers reset, I promptly fired up KSP - because it had been five days. Even though I'm back to suckville on the graphics, I did notice the effect of the new memory - the game runs a LOT smoother now. I'm considering turning up the graphics settings a bit - for the first time since I started playing the game.

Didn't really do much gamewise. After fiddling a bit with a VTOL design, I took on a contract to test an aerospike on a sub-orbital trajectory. Designed the Blackbird 7, a drone spaceplane, to do the job - and boy did it do the job. 20 tonnes, dual Turbojets, 6 Ram Intakes, 6 24-77s. Fueled it for a thirty tonne takeoff weight and balanced it for no CoM shift. Thing didn't flame-out until it was going 2100 and close to 40k in altitude; didn't have to do much flying on the 24-77s at all. Test completed, I went ahead and circularized my orbit, then de-orbited in a spot that would put me down close to a landing at KSC. Almost got that right - I wound up overshooting KSC 09 by ten klicks before I was sub-sonic. Did a quick turnaround an had a hairy descent and final approach for KSC 27 - wasn't even close to lining up on the runway until I was less than four klicks out. Let's just say that bit was probably against FAA regs; my wife watched me bring it in and after everything was said and done she told me that she was glad that she wasn't riding on that plane. Brought her down nice and gentle on the left side of the strip - all in all a successful mission. Profitable too - netted over √100,000 and something like 2000 science (why I took the contract in the first place). Went ahead and upgraded my Mission Control to Level 3, bringing me a third of the way to a fully upgraded KSC.

Nothing really interesting in the pipe at the moment, unfortunately. Still have my initial Minmus exploration mission in progress along with a couple of satellite contracts. Am considering a mission to launch a space station to Duna - maybe to support the Ike exploration when I'm finally ready to go that way.

After making a textured test part visible in KSP a few days ago, today I compiled a test DLL that is loaded by KSP upon start-up.

The whole work-flow is done in Linux. Only thing where I can't get around windows is Unity, but that's solved via wine.