[0.22] Extraplanetary Launchpads Legacy Thread

skykooler

I'm using the most recent version, with my own parts made from the previous release by EvilC (not sure, perhaps the dev build in question). Added your planet/body-specific updates to the resource file too :D Everything works as intended aside from the spawning of crafts. I've actually only tested this off world in low-g environments (mun/minimus). The issue with launchclamps is they each become a separate craft after and you have to end flight for each of them (kind of a pain) - not to mention if you aren't using a lander sometimes its tough to actually clear the clamps and get off the pad (unless you can somehow clamp to the top).

Could you help me understand how EL spawns a craft after you select your ship and click 'build.' I want to get this figured out quite badly and hope there is some way I can help.

Thanks again for the mod! The GUI is awesome and slick btw (not sure if I mentioned).

Kris

That is the dev build. If you copied the configs from that, your parts will start off being very massive; and KSP doesn't like dense objects, so things that touch them can often explode.

The source code is available from https://github.com/skykooler/Extraplanetary-Launchpads

Thanks for the fast response! I'll see if I can test it out :D I'm assuming it's the plugin/dll that's updated. Going to replace that with the new one so I can keep my parts and settings in tact. Thanks!

Thanks for the fast response! I'll see if I can test it out :D I'm assuming it's the plugin/dll that's updated. Going to replace that with the new one so I can keep my parts and settings in tact. Thanks!

The .dll hasn't been updated very much, it's the .cfgs and parts that were mainly updated. But you should be able to see the changes you'd need to make the launchpad lower mass.

Hey Skykooler, I compared all the files - I must have the updated version (though the new .dll was 1kb smaller). Resource files are the same and for parts their are only a few differences which I'm curious if they are what you're referring to.

crashTolerance = 10

explosionPotential = 10

breakingForce = 200

breakingTorque = 200

Does adding the explosionPotential line help? On the part I'm using, breakingForce/Torque are also set to 10,000 if that is an issue. Aside from that, I'm using your latest build!

Edit: I was checking out some API documentation and wondering if you can make use of these to detect altitude and float down a craft after FlightState is instantiated: http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/API:FlightGlobals and http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/API:FlightCtrlState. Seems like a lot of possibilities here: http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/API:Vessel

P.S. Found a temporary workaround for the wheels popping. I just set the breaking parameters on the wheels much higher and they don't pop now :P Still a lot of impact force on spawn though - kinda funny actually.

Edited by Krisism

A quite idiot question here. I get green and white on kethane scan, but on Ore, I get yellow, orange, and red. are these seperate and distinct resources, or they all the same?

These are different resources. For ore, red is the least ore and yellow is the most ore. Also, not all planets have the same distribution.

@srilania, They represent the different quantities of ore - red representing lower yield deposits and yellow/white the higher ones.

I also have a question - does anyone know how to reset your deposit location? I want to start fresh with new deposits and remap with different fill colours. (found it - delete kethane.cfg in your main game /saves/ folder).

Edited by Krisism
Already answered, so adding a question of my own.

That does seem kind of backwards, intuitively speaking, since reds are normally for higher items.

But red is also a dimmer color, and grey represents no ore. So that's why it's the way around it is.

That does seem kind of backwards, intuitively speaking, since reds are normally for higher items.

Y'can tell you're not an astrophysicist. With stars, red's pretty dim, whereas yellow and white are more and more intense. S'all relative.

Hey one thing. How do I detect ore? Do you use the Kethane detector and if so do I need to delete the the old Kethane deposit maps?

You use the Kethane detector for now. If you had had my modified .dll installed you will need to delete the maps, but otherwise you can leave them.

I find that quite counter-intuitive, actually. Red is the lowest perceivable frequency (below that is infra-red), whereas violet is the highest (above that being ultra-violet). Roy G. Biv says red=low, violet=high. The exception being when you're trying to indicate something negative/bad, e.g. redlining or red alert or any indication where "higher" means "worse" (in this case, the inversion because "higher" means "lower" in a sense -- lower safety = higher danger, the situation is going downhill, you're indicating a high depth, etc.).

Edited by Gaius

Skykooler,

so one unit of Ore makes one unit of Metal which makes one unit of rocket parts? (1:1:1)

Someone else previously mentioned that it may be more "real" to use something a bit more like

1.5:1:0.8 or something like that. 1 ton of raw ore shouldn't make 1 ton of processed metal. and there would always be some 'scrap' when manufacturing metal into a finished rocket part.

even a 1.5:1:0.8 conversion is being very generous.

Something to consider.

Skykooler,

so one unit of Ore makes one unit of Metal which makes one unit of rocket parts? (1:1:1)

Someone else previously mentioned that it may be more "real" to use something a bit more like

1.5:1:0.8 or something like that. 1 ton of raw ore shouldn't make 1 ton of processed metal. and there would always be some 'scrap' when manufacturing metal into a finished rocket part.

even a 1.5:1:0.8 conversion is being very generous.

Something to consider.

That's planned for v2.1, along with a few other improvements.

Is anyone else having an issue with not getting any ore from mining?

It seems after multiple tries/repositions I can't actually fill a tank with ore. I'm using a modified kethane drill (I added the kethaneextrator module) and it's identical to the auger aside from name/descriptions. I can mine kethane just fine, but nothing seems to come out from the ore deposit. I just deleted my kethane.cfg in save and remapped this morning so it shouldn't be a map issue. Any ideas? I've compared code all over and can't find anything wrong.

Is anyone else having an issue with not getting any ore from mining?

It seems after multiple tries/repositions I can't actually fill a tank with ore. I'm using a modified kethane drill (I added the kethaneextrator module) and it's identical to the auger aside from name/descriptions. I can mine kethane just fine, but nothing seems to come out from the ore deposit. I just deleted my kethane.cfg in save and remapped this morning so it shouldn't be a map issue. Any ideas? I've compared code all over and can't find anything wrong.

Does it work if you use the augur instead?

I will have to fly one to the moon to test. Unless you know any easier way to do it near KSC?

Well, Kerbin has ore too.

You can also use the Kethane debugger to spawn a deposit where your ship is.

Alright after some testing using your suggested technique, the auger does work. Any idea what could be the difference? I'd love to replicate this functionality on another part but until then I'll find a way to haul the auger :P

Thanks for your help!

(I figured it out. It was the legacyanimator module at the bottom! It only had the KethaneDrillAnimatorLegacy module on it and needed the KethaneExtractorAnimatorLanded module. Yay!)

Edited by Krisism

Alright after some testing using your suggested technique, the auger does work. Any idea what could be the difference? I'd love to replicate this functionality on another part but until then I'll find a way to haul the auger :P

Thanks for your help!

Assuming you have

MODULE
{
name = KethaneExtractor
PowerConsumption = 24
Resource
{
Name = Ore
Rate = 0.1
}
}

MODULE
{
name = KethaneExtractorAnimatorLanded
}

on the part, it should work.

Is the augur supposed to be animated doesnt seem to be on mine + cant get Kethane drills to mine ore when i try putting the above modules in the cfgs it breaks them and they wont deploy

small minor cfgs looks like this is it correct??

// Kerbal Space Program - Part Config

// MMI.K Miner 01

PART

{

// --- general parameters ---

name = MMI.K Miner 01.1

module = Part

author = Dani-Sang | Kulesz

// --- asset parameters ---

mesh = model.mu

scale = 0.1

// --- node definitions ---

node_attach = -1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0

// --- editor parameters ---

cost = 400

category = Utility

subcategory = 0

title = KE-X130.1 External Ore Drilling Unit

manufacturer = Mechanical Mouse Industries

description = This externally mounted housing contains a drill for extracting Ore from the surface of a planet or moon.

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision

attachRules = 0,1,0,1,0

// --- standard part parameters ---

mass = 1.0

dragModelType = default

maximum_drag = 0.001

minimum_drag = 0.001

angularDrag = 2

crashTolerance = 6

breakingForce = 50

breakingTorque = 50

maxTemp = 2900

fuelCrossFeed = False