Spiritwolf/Hanland Submissions

I find it suspicious myself, but to each it's own. I'd bet he's either reinventing the wheel, or selling smoke.

Rune. Nothing new under the sun... which begs the question: where is over the sun, exactly?.

probably a better way of putting it. What was that old saying agian, pics or it didn't happen

Ship: Project Genesis Excalibur MK3 exo-atmostpheiric precision fighter.

Company: Project Genesis

Company Bio: Project Genesis is a small company that promotes peace. They believe in only one God and broke off of Spiritwolf after dispute between poly/mono theism (Macey Dean says the gods help Spiritwolf). After braking off, Project Genesis continued with the same goals in colonizing the Kerbol system. However when war broke out between Spiritwolf and Hanland, Project Genesis began to realize they needed to build up their own arms in the case ether company attacked them.

The Excalibur MK3 is a short range fighter that can use its STS-7 Judgement Missiles to hit capital ships command centers or engines with pinpoint accuracy.

Can be refueled by docking with its small docking port on the nose.

Allegiance: Spiritwolf (if contacted and persuaded to join)/ Neutral

Part Count: 129 total (including launcher)

Craft file: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/project-genesis-excalibur-mk3-exo-atmospheric-precision-fighter-with-launcher-all-stock/

Action Keys:

1. Toggle Fighters engines

2. Toggle Solar Panels

3. Detach nose missile and activate its engine

4 & 5. Detach wing missiles and activate their engines

Pre-Launch

Screenshot111.png

Launch

Screenshot114.png

Gravity Turn

Screenshot117.png

Stage 1 separation

Screenshot121.png

Extending Solar Panels

Screenshot122.png

Orbital Circular Burn

Screenshot125.png

After completing the orbit and ditching the 2nd stage, the Excalibur MK3 is now ready to take on anything any enemy of Project Genesis can throw at it.

Screenshot132.png

These images are 404ing.

I represent a company called AstroExpress. It has decided to support Spiritwolf in its dispute with Hanland by delivering fuel, ammunition, monopropellant, electricity and Spiritwolf troops into the conflict zone. The goal will be accomplished with the following ship: The AsTra Mk1 (Astral Transporter).

KZUSTEo.png

It has about 150 parts if unarmed, has a crew capacity of seven, weighs 69.88 tons when fully fueled and it is powered by two nuclear engines to guarantee a far reach.

It has two docking ports on each the top and the bottom of the hull, plus two docking ports towards the front to mount missiles for delivery. Furthermore, it is outfitted with four junior docking ports, so light fighters can dock and stacks of missiles can be transported.

The ship can be outfitted with auxiliary fueltanks via a senior docking port on the rear of the ships hull.

MfrwLHc.png

But even without auxiliary tanks it has a total amount of over 6500 m/s of delta v once fully fueled. in orbit around Kerbin. Getting to Laythe should present no problem.

The view from the bridge:

fMs7DAJ.png

AstroExpress will continue testing cargo loadouts and will also post proof of travel once the ship has reached Laythe orbit.

BUKMfoQ.png

Feedback please! :)

Feedback please! :)

Looks great but I feel the bridge is in danger of being destroyed by a missile/rocket attack even from small strike craft. Course, it seems to have two bridges. And the solar panels may block incoming fire.

not necessary. During the WW's the Germans used U-boats and specifically targeted tankers and supply ships.

Actualy everybody did that during WW2 the same goes for the Allies the russion the Japanese you name em the did it. It is only recently that western nations developed a moral against hitting civilian targets.

Actualy everybody did that during WW2 the same goes for the Allies the russion the Japanese you name em the did it. It is only recently that western nations developed a moral against hitting civilian targets.

True but would Hanland follow those morals?

Hello all,

Newcomer here. I have skimmed the thread and seen Maceys video on submissions ... but I have questions on part count:

1. If I build a carrier or tender do docked ships add to part count? (For these ships like fighters or shuttles would be actively in use, where I would count an escape pod as it isn't regular service.

2. Does ammo count?

3. Is the parts constraint 300 or 360?

I see some mentions of 360 parts while in the opening I see 300.

Sorry if these are frequently asked and I am just missing it.

Cheers!

Hello all,

Newcomer here. I have skimmed the thread and seen Maceys video on submissions ... but I have questions on part count:

1. If I build a carrier or tender do docked ships add to part count? (For these ships like fighters or shuttles would be actively in use, where I would count an escape pod as it isn't regular service.

2. Does ammo count?

3. Is the parts constraint 300 or 360?

I see some mentions of 360 parts while in the opening I see 300.

Sorry if these are frequently asked and I am just missing it.

Cheers!

Well i am not macy so i can only say how i interpid them. I think the part count is the part count at without docking. Ammo does count and it is 300 but with exceptions for awesomeness (quote from the video).

True but would Hanland follow those morals?

Pretty sure they won't, Altought i think they are more likly to throw the crew out of an airlock and use the ship themselfs then blow it up.

Edited by tim20913
forgot the qoute XD

My answer is simple, yet brilliant! Don't do that instead of doing that. Lithobreaking at ~100m/s will break up your ship, as the girders and panels are only good up to 80m/s, the only solution is to slow your decent to less than the break velocity through aerobreaking (good down to ~100m/s) and/or counterthrust (as long as the TWR is greater than 1).

No, you don't understand.

I recently discovered a new method of Armor that provides a completely insane amount of protection, I've been dropping ships covered in it from orbit to test how much of a beating they can take, the armor itself survives, but the thing it's protecting doesn't because the linkage fails in between the fuel tank, command pod, and ASAS Modules, I need a way to make sure they stay linked so that they can take a missile.

It has parachutes.

No, you don't understand.

I recently discovered a new method of Armor that provides a completely insane amount of protection, I've been dropping ships covered in it from orbit to test how much of a beating they can take, the armor itself survives, but the thing it's protecting doesn't because the linkage fails in between the fuel tank, command pod, and ASAS Modules, I need a way to make sure they stay linked so that they can take a missile.

It has parachutes.

Use Jebs solution to everything, space-tape

Firstly, anything lithobreaking on Kerbin is moving, at best, 130m/s at impact. I have dropped ships from orbit too, with no thrust the whole way down, and have had the command pod and armor survive intact and the kerbals walk out. The engine array and central fuel tank became a crumple zone which , when combined with the armor shell, let the crew survive. But 130m/s is nothing and will not tell you how the armor behaves under weapon fire. Transfer the craft file in the hanger file (if it was not already built in the hanger, put the ship on wheels, and roll that thing off the runway a few hundred meters back then shoot at it with a precision weapon test rig. I like to do it in 100m increments out to ~2km That is the best way to determine armor effectiveness vs. weapon fire. I also do it to test weapons.

Secondly, if you want a better test of whole armor effectiveness, lithobrake into the Mun. Quicksave and tune your decent velocity and try impacting at different angles.

Use Jebs solution to everything, space-tape

I thought Jeb's solution to everything was Moar Boosters.

Edited by Son of Hicks

So I've done a lot of armor/weapons/ship testing, and I would like to provide a few tips gleaned from my research.

1. Any weak point compromises the armor shell. The Vanguard has a super weak point in the armor right next to its engine array, I'm talking about the 4 white aerospace wings that give the armor its angle. The 2x2 structural panel has an impact velocity of 80m/s, the wing is something like 8m/s. Any hit to that from anything stronger than a naked decoupler will strip the battle cruiser of a quarter of its armor shell. Every outer and structural part of your armor shell needs to have an impact tolerance of 80m/s. Which leads me to my next tip.

2. Make the exposed armor as small as possible to limit damage. The Vanguard has 4 large sections of armor that protect the bulk of its hull, but any hit to the above mentioned weak spot strips the vessel of a quarter of its armor. But it is worse than that: because the "section" is so large any hit that defeats the armor will also break off every piece forward on that section! To limit collateral damage to the armor shell, join as few pieces as possible together so a strike can only make a small, nigh untargetable hole two or at worst three panels wide. Anchor the panels to protected girders (or expose them and trust that their smaller surface area will evade hits) in small groups to limit damage. Speaking of size...

3. Smaller vessels are harder to hit; seriously, this cannot be overstated. Your armor shell will survive 100% of the shots that don't hit it. I admonish you to make your vessel as small as possible to achieve its mission for a variety of reasons: smaller ships are more accurate with weapons fire as they turn faster to track targets, accelerate faster, shorter stacks of ammunition "sway" much less than deep magazines of larger vessels, and most importantly present a small crossection to incoming fire. But making a small vessel won't help much if you forget this next tip...

4. Use weapons as reactive armor by placing them outside your armor shell. You will use less parts by armoring everything except the weapons, even if you double the number of ammunition stacks. The Vanguard armors its side SRB stacks, and uses over fifty additional parts to armor them. A better use of parts would be to only armor the central fuel tanks and command pod (and engine array, can't forget that), and mount two more stacks of ammunition above and below, and use 25 less parts. Having a large volume of ammunition encircling the hull acts as an extra layer of armor, which instead of guarding an empty void can be shot at something you want to go away. This is an important facet of...

5. Longer range barrages favor the vessel with the most ammunition. In space, ammunition is precious commodity second only to fuel, and not a thing which would be wasted. We want every salvo to not only hit, but at the very least mission kill the intended target. Even if the first salvo connects, rarely will it do the latter. If a vessel can turn and either accelerate or still has usable ordinance it is a threat of the highest order and cannot be ignored. It is so important to have enough ammunition to eliminate a hostile vessel. But deep magazines also have another benefit: you can choose to fire off shots further out and hope to disable your target from a great enough distance that it cannot accurately return fire, remember tip 3? Long range fire is also more destructive; rockets need enough distance to accelerate to a velocity sufficient to defeat armor. As long as we are talking about ammunition, don't forget about this next tip.

6. There are only two types of armor, neither of which will stop a SRB. Everything bigger than an SRB is overkilling the overkill and eating up part count. The minimum number of parts for a reloadable SRB is 4 (clamp-o-tron, blue stack separator, small SRB, clamp-o-tron; you can save parts by making "clips" of two or four SRBs with a clamp-o-tron at each end and blue stack separators between them, but the "inner" salvo will overheated and explode around ~1.5km. A 1x1 structural panel will prevent the over heat and still take up less space, but it uses the same number of parts), and it will consistently defeat a stack of 5 2x2 armor plate each spaced apart form each other, albeit inconsistantly (sometime all 5 are toast, sometimes the third and fourth, but that was with crazy spacing, it universally defeated a close laminate of 5 2x2 at 100m. My ship tests, where I wheeled an armored ship off the run-way and shot at it, gave interesting results: an SRB will defeat the first section of armor it passes through and what ever is under it out to ~300m, where it will then blow though the entire ship and leave a neat hole (remember tip 2?). I stopped testing after 5 because by then it was far too unrealisticly heavy to mount on a ship, as well as driving part count through the roof.

However, an SRB is totally overkill, a military weapon designed to defeat plate armor, which will resist any lesser weapon, but that doesn't mean lesser weapons don't have their place. The best "light" weapon I've tested is a little three part 1m grey decoupler with two separatrons radialy mounted at 5o, 3 very light parts that can pop unarmored fuel tanks, with a chance to knock off aerospace armor, which can be defeated by a pocket I-beam propelled by 2 seperatrons. The reason I prefer the decoupler over the I-beam is that it weighs less and uses less parts to make a relodable clip.

Guided munitions get their own paragraph. I am not a fan of guided munitions, personally I suck at getting them to impact a target, technologically I refuse to put probes stuff that I cannot allow to be hacked/jammed, physically they present a huge advantage to a local maneuvering defender who gets to enjoy a operational delay equal to twice my distance to them (light speed lag, them to the wewpon, the weapon to me, me back to the weapon), and they are the only way to get orbital mines to work (but which won't work in KSP because the physics load distance is 2.5km and the minimum velocity of vessels in opposite LEO is 5.2km/s, you will just never connect outside of Mech-Jeb and copious amounts of prayer). That said, probes are proof that forewarned is forearmed, especially if you can slam that probe into your enemy.

Edit: Don't think that I'm ragging on the Vanguard. We stand on the shoulders of giants, and would not progress if nothing came before. It taught me so much about ship and weapon design; all my cruisers are derivatives of it.

Edited by Son of Hicks

Class: Armored Fighting Vehicle AKA "Cobra"

Company: Valley Inc.

Allied With: Hanland

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzWVddevUqx5OFdnYk02Y3dCdkk/edit?usp=sharing

After the release of the 'Viper' into mass production there was a demand among our security forces for a more well balanced front line combat vehicle. While the 'Viper' has some advantages it was felt to be too unbalanced.

There was a demand for a more stable fighting craft with double the firepower and a sleeker, more harder to hit outline. The 'Cobra' was born!

CJ77d4F.png

Sleek And Sexy!

htpMTKf.png

Deadly And Powerful!

3z4yNTI.png

With twice the firepower of the 'Viper'.

dQOzfqE.png

A perfect land craft for the front line forces be it on the open plains or within the bloody urban combat of the major cities. Once again Valley Inc. offers the very best from its factories for the Hanland Defenders!

And for the home front factory workers:

bdugJs7.png

So I've done a lot of armor/weapons/ship testing, and I would like to provide a few tips gleaned from my research.

6. There are only two types of armor, neither of which will stop a SRB.

erm:

ycEBdiq.jpg

Thats Carnifex after taking somewhere between 14 and 18 srbs to the bows (I'm assuming I missed with a few but at least 1 torp hit from each volley), you can see screenies from the fight here: http://imgur.com/a/rzDZw. I just pointed them at each other and fired away (not unrealistic for a snipe duel).

Seriously, it usually doesn't take anyway near that many shots but it shows that if you use impact 80 ammo as reactive armour and a tiny front profile you can survive a hell of a beating.

using sacrificial parts works very well too, this ship, believe it or not, is still functioning after taking around 13 fighter rockets (just, and again its an exception, not the norm):

IG3Wlxy.jpg

Ive also made a sister ship for carnifex, the Hyperion, its the same hull with some improvements to the ammo, the srbs and guided missiles have gone in favour of another 16 girder rockets and the RCS tank that made up the base of the magazine has been replaced with a cuopla with crosshair as per the aegis cruiser i posted earlier:

fTRynVth.jpg

ILSH592.jpg

I've also discovered that the perspective in the cuopla is a bit borked, you can zoom in and the target will also get bigger so I inadvertantly made a telescopic sight for my snipe ships:

46M5kIm.jpg

I've also moved both of my cruisers and the mini destroyer to Laythe (proofs in the usual place) which finally brings my to the reasons I logged on:

Introducing the Valkyrie advanced missile cruiser:

8g2rior.jpg

Stats: 300ish parts (430 at launch), 66 tons, 1735 liquid fuel (Laythe capable), crew of up to 4, Ammo: 4 LF/RCS 1m guided missiles (capital ship overkill and 18 rcs/sfb guided missiles ( if you can dock you can score hits with these easy). Ive upgraded the ammo (and the uploaded file has been changed) saving 2 parts per missile and making the rcs much more usable at the expense of very slight deviation upon activation of main thrust, but you don't do that till point blank range anyway so no worries there.

So, I still have to finish the prison barge and I'm not quite done moving sisiter ships about yet but once I'm done I'll do a persist for the whole fleet. Anyway that'll do for now, and sorry for yet another huge post.

Edited by Mr Tegu
wrong image

C

After the release of the 'Viper' into mass production there was a demand among our security forces for a more well balanced front line combat vehicle. While the 'Viper' has some advantages it was felt to be too unbalanced.

Very cute. We've had a light interplanetary tank for a while :D

9G5ceql.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.