[0.22] UbioZur Welding Ltd. 2.0 Dev STOPPED

UbioZur

Zephran and Zander,

this is most likly due to the fact that one or more parts are radially weld to the part you are trying to attached, and therefore there is a interference with the nodes.

try to edit the config file, to only leave the nodes you wants, (delete all the hidden attach nodes). And it should work better.

I am still trying to figure out a way to do this with code, but it's not an easy case.

Zephran and Zander,

this is most likly due to the fact that one or more parts are radially weld to the part you are trying to attached, and therefore there is a interference with the nodes.

try to edit the config file, to only leave the nodes you wants, (delete all the hidden attach nodes). And it should work better.

I am still trying to figure out a way to do this with code, but it's not an easy case.

How can I know which node is the one i want? in my case I have a plane body with a lot of nodes all over it. But i only want to keep the one at the front and back of the body.

Hi, me again.

I still can't attach my welded parts to other parts. Only the center of my welded parts want to attach. Are there plans to get it working in the future?

Here's an example what i want to do:

JBKiTdZ.gif

I also encountered the same problem. Try to start the assembly with welded parts first. Other parts are easy to join the welded parts.

How can I know which node is the one i want? in my case I have a plane body with a lot of nodes all over it. But i only want to keep the one at the front and back of the body.

It require a bit of trying around.

instead of deleting them, put them on comment (with // in front), that way if it's not the good one, it will be easier.

I did change the node name, on the upcoming version to make it easier to know which node is what.

I'm wanting to make a Rockomax Brand Decoupler with a Clampotron nestled down inside, with the functionality (but not the model) of the OKTO2 added.

What such a mash up I'll be able to have a lander on top of a stack, decouple it then come back after landing and dock to the same place nose first. The OKTO2 "electronics" would make the rest of the ship controllable (and most important, targetable) without having to find somewhere to attach an OKTO2.

The welded part needs to be able to attach the decoupler top to an engine, then when decoupled allow another Clampotron to connect to the embedded Clamptotron part.

I've already tested an old lander design for its ability to land on Duna and return to orbit, and I already know it can land on Mun, return to orbit, refuel, return to LKO, refuel and land on Kerbin. Now I just need a way to have it nose dock (with the addition of some Strut Guns) for a return to Kerbin from Duna.

Will this work to add the OKTO2 function to the decoupler?

Edited by Galane

@UbioZur, how can I add welding-support for a yet unsupported part? It should be a quite simple part , just a huge, flat cylinder (iirc without nodes). Of course, at my own risk ;)

I want to make a station-ring based on Wayland's Station Core-girder-ringy-thingy. Want to attack stock fuselage-stuff to it... But of course, I can't weld it.

I'm wanting to make a Rockomax Brand Decoupler with a Clampotron nestled down inside, with the functionality (but not the model) of the OKTO2 added.

What such a mash up I'll be able to have a lander on top of a stack, decouple it then come back after landing and dock to the same place nose first. The OKTO2 "electronics" would make the rest of the ship controllable (and most important, targetable) without having to find somewhere to attach an OKTO2.

The welded part needs to be able to attach the decoupler top to an engine, then when decoupled allow another Clampotron to connect to the embedded Clamptotron part.

I've already tested an old lander design for its ability to land on Duna and return to orbit, and I already know it can land on Mun, return to orbit, refuel, return to LKO, refuel and land on Kerbin. Now I just need a way to have it nose dock (with the addition of some Strut Guns) for a return to Kerbin from Duna.

Will this work to add the OKTO2 function to the decoupler?

Yes it should work,

Just make the rockomax and decoupler weld, make sure it works as intended (especialy the decooupler part, may need to change some value on the decoupler direction), and then add the MODULES{} of the probe to the cfg.

I got the RockoOKTOClampo part made and it works perfectly.

Now it looks like I need to try out this welding tool so I can actually go places with this monster.

Good to hear, sorry I couldn't answer before.

@UbioZur, how can I add welding-support for a yet unsupported part? It should be a quite simple part , just a huge, flat cylinder (iirc without nodes). Of course, at my own risk ;)

I want to make a station-ring based on Wayland's Station Core-girder-ringy-thingy. Want to attack stock fuselage-stuff to it... But of course, I can't weld it.

If that part have no modules there shouldn't be any support problem. If there is a problem, you can pm me the detail and I will help you as much as I can.

Happened again but didn't notice your reply. However this time i could not fix the problem and had to start a new career.

ok

Sorry it's been a while guys, I am quite busy IRL at the moment.

I will try to push the version I have at the moment that fix a few bugs soon, so you don't run into those bugs again.

In an completely unmodded .22 version of KSP, I can weld parts and it says they are "saved and shipped", but they do not appear in the items list. Happens even with a simple thing like two orange tanks. Additionally (which would be not much of a problem, but still annoying) the assembly I've welded disappears with the "crumbling paper"-delete-sound. Anyone's got any hint on how to fix that? =/

The welded part will not attach for me. The nodes snap together. but the part remains red. Have tried it with several different parts. never worked.
Zephran and Zander,

Sorry for the delay. It's been a long work week! So this is about the problem where a welded part will snap to a node, but then turns red and will not attach. I finally got it to work!

Like UbioZur said, it's due to too many nodes causing a conflict. I took his advice and edited the part file. In there I found two pages of nodes that I did not know were even present! (I had thought they were occupied, but I was wrong about that.) Deleting them cured the attachment problem. Building a launcher for the massive thing is my challenge now! Pics once I make it work.

Here's what I did to delete the correct nodes. The ones I wanted to keep were at the center, at the top and bottom. So they were the only ones with very tiny numbers in the X and Y axes. They look like 7.89234E-7. That E-7 is what I looked for; it is scientific notation to represent a very small number. (In this example, 0.000000789234.) In other words, the X and Y are practically zero. So I avoided those two nodes and deleted all the others. This way is not very precise, but for "quick and dirty" it worked the first time.

Another more precise way would be to find the ID numbers of the parts you want to attach to, temporarily mark nodes that attach to those ID numbers, delete all the others, then remove your temporary marks. I know it sounds tedious, but it took much less time than I had spent trying to get the part to work other ways! :)

In an completely unmodded .22 version of KSP, I can weld parts and it says they are "saved and shipped", but they do not appear in the items list. Happens even with a simple thing like two orange tanks. Additionally (which would be not much of a problem, but still annoying) the assembly I've welded disappears with the "crumbling paper"-delete-sound. Anyone's got any hint on how to fix that? =/

The new welded part should appear in the items list after you refresh the list by clicking on some other category and returning. (That threw me off at first.) To get the original assembly back, just do CNTL-Z (undo). After a short freeze, it should reappear.

One part that doesn't work with this is the 5-way RCS block from the ReStock pack. It just locks up KSP when I try to weld anything with one of those attached.

It also doesn't support Quantum Struts, but those it just leaves off.

So, here's something. It's... kinda big. That's no space station, it's a small moon!

HabRing4.jpg

I don't recommend doing anything this large. It contains over 1000 parts, took 15 minutes for the welder to render the thing, had thousands of nodes to be deleted, and it takes a full minute to load the launch pad. But, it works.

Few bug fix

Playtest 4 uploaded.

Science module have been fixed. It may also make more mods compatible.

I have added support for RCS. However due to the way the game use them, they work like a charm for translation, but just waste RCS for rotation. On my test SAS don't seems to make them waste fuel if there is enough torque/winglet.

I wish I could have uploaded more, but IRL is being very busy at the moment.

2.0 Playtest 4

ADDED A bit more support with the mesh and MODEL{}.

FIXED .22 science part not showing.

FIXED CoM now calculated with the wet mass and not the dry mass

FIXED RCS error, and merging (cannot use the welded RCS for rotation).

FIXED Some GUI bugs/errors

To have it reload the database automatically, make sure you have it set on the config file.

Sorry for the delay. It's been a long work week! So this is about the problem where a welded part will snap to a node, but then turns red and will not attach. I finally got it to work!

Like UbioZur said, it's due to too many nodes causing a conflict. I took his advice and edited the part file. In there I found two pages of nodes that I did not know were even present! (I had thought they were occupied, but I was wrong about that.) Deleting them cured the attachment problem. Building a launcher for the massive thing is my challenge now! Pics once I make it work.

Here's what I did to delete the correct nodes. The ones I wanted to keep were at the center, at the top and bottom. So they were the only ones with very tiny numbers in the X and Y axes. They look like 7.89234E-7. That E-7 is what I looked for; it is scientific notation to represent a very small number. (In this example, 0.000000789234.) In other words, the X and Y are practically zero. So I avoided those two nodes and deleted all the others. This way is not very precise, but for "quick and dirty" it worked the first time.

Another more precise way would be to find the ID numbers of the parts you want to attach to, temporarily mark nodes that attach to those ID numbers, delete all the others, then remove your temporary marks. I know it sounds tedious, but it took much less time than I had spent trying to get the part to work other ways! :)

Good to know it works. Those node exist because the parts are surfaced attached and not attached with the node. I am trying to get a way to detect that so I can remove it by code.

On the new version I have changed the way the nodes are named, so it should be easier to find which one they are.

Nice pic :)

One part that doesn't work with this is the 5-way RCS block from the ReStock pack. It just locks up KSP when I try to weld anything with one of those attached.

It also doesn't support Quantum Struts, but those it just leaves off.

Can you try that RCS block with the new version (2.0pt4) so I know if it works. the previous version did not managed RCS.

Ran into an odd bug, but can't tell if I was the only one to notice this one yet. When I glue multiple solar panels on the thing, it only extends -one- instead of all of them, but seems to draw power from each one somehow. Any idea how to fix this?

Ran into an odd bug, but can't tell if I was the only one to notice this one yet. When I glue multiple solar panels on the thing, it only extends -one- instead of all of them, but seems to draw power from each one somehow. Any idea how to fix this?

That was mentioned somewhere as a 'do not do'. Since animations didn't work right when welded. I think it might be in the readme itself as it's not on the front page.

This is due to the fact the game only accept one GenericAnimation MODULE (with the same animation name).

Also solar panel electric generation are not yet managed, because of the ray tracing.

Other then purely structural parts and tanks (inc. batteries), what parts are safe to weld together?

One crew module, one docking port, one enginge per assembly?

structural and tanks are safe.

after it all depend on the MODULE{} the parts have.

Modules that are safe:

SAS, Reaction wheels, Command, Generator, Alternator (don't merge with electricity tank, there is a game bug), Gimbal, Sensor, Engine (there is bugs with fairing ones), AnimationGen (with different animation name), RCS (don't use for rotation), transmission data, Science Container.

The others are just duplicated at the moment, to allow me to test things.

The main problem, is not part base, but the fact that different parts have simmilar MODULE{} and so it may not work.

Usually, if before the weld window, you have a popup that says we didn't know where to put things, it mean that there may be a problem/bug (details are in the log).

There is an annoying bug while using this on linux. Any time you create a weld, it puts the part in ~/Desktop/GameData/UbioWeldingLtd/Parts/... with ~ being the home directory. Probably either a bug with file paths, or it could be due to linux using '/' as a path seperator instead of '\'.

When I get the files/folders moved to the correct places under /UbioWeldingLtd/Parts/... and hit reload all, the welds loose kw-rocketry fuel tanks. kw-rocketry engines are fine, but float in the air a bit away from what they are connected to. Everything else works.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.