[1.0.3] Editor Extensions v2.12 - 23 June

MachXXV

I registered with this forum just to tell you that this tool is ESSENTIAL to building in KSP. Without vertical snap I feel like KSP is useless, also, more than 8x radial symmetry is important. I don't understand how these are not features of KSP itself, I was astonished a vertical snap feature didn't make it into the editor update. Until it does, please continue development of this tool. Thanks!
100% agreed!

I realized Editor Extension is one of the most important mods i know. I was astonished, they didn't include Editor Extension mod into their new SPH/VAB Editor in 0.90.0.

Like DevCo said above it is the most essential mod IMO. Using stock SPH or VAB editors is a real PAIN, especially the new one (0.90.0).

For me KSP is unplayable without Editor extension and certainly no fun at all.

PLEASE keep on your great work, a lot of people love your mod!

Wow. HarvesteR said in a few posts that a lot of people, myself included, would take some time getting used to the new way of building and as such the 'old way' was still somewhat available. However, the only things missing from this mod are the hotkeys for part clipping and the symmetry locks, both very useful. However, just because the old system worked, it doesn't mean it was better. There are countless improvements to the editor now, and that heavily outweighs the minor inconvenience of losing EE. If you want to mourn EE, that's fine, but please be respectful enough to recognize the benefits of the new system.

I don't think anyone is going to disagree with you that stock .90 editor is better than .25, but it still doesn't hold up to the features available in this mod and that is why people are sad to see this mod go.

Wow. HarvesteR said in a few posts that a lot of people, myself included, would take some time getting used to the new way of building and as such the 'old way' was still somewhat available. However, the only things missing from this mod are the hotkeys for part clipping and the symmetry locks, both very useful. However, just because the old system worked, it doesn't mean it was better. There are countless improvements to the editor now, and that heavily outweighs the minor inconvenience of losing EE. If you want to mourn EE, that's fine, but please be respectful enough to recognize the benefits of the new system.

It's not an either-or proposition. The new editor is worlds ahead of the old one, and the new editor with Editor Extensions would be better still.

I agree with the previous poster, it is not an either-or proposition. I would really like to see the 'vertical snap' capability in 0.90, since it makes designing and executing planes and SSTOs much easier. I also liked the 'lock symmetry' capability this mod had. Changing build modes was also extremely useful IMO. There are tons of things which should be hotkeys in the editor, but aren't in stock and that your mod adds.

I personally think this mod is totally indispensable, even (or especially) with the editor overhaul in 0.9.

I always update mods in the following order: 1 Ferram, 2 Kerbal engineer, 3 Editor extensions... etc.

try to make a biplane with out vertical snap some time :/

the mod is still relevant and very much needed no amount of saying "get used to it" will change that.

I tried to surface attach an engine today.. took me a while before I remembered.. plz come back EE :(

I do think that the stock SPH/VAB symmetry switching is easier, but there's still some things stock doesn't have that EE gives such handy hotkeys for.. higher/odd symmetries, increased angle snap angles, part clipping of the attach node style, toggle/force surface attachment, reset editor camera.. EE doesn't need to come back as it left, but having those options on hotkeys (or even accessible) made building so much easier.

I haven't given up, still doing research. Unfortunately it's been a busy week so it won't be until the weekend that I can seriously dig into the new editor's internals.

So far my experimentation has been productive, I think I'll be able to provide most of the functions again, and there's new possibilities to play with.

Edited by MachXXV

I haven't given up, still doing research. Unfortunately it's been a busy week so it won't be until the weekend that I can seriously dig into the new editor's internals.

So far my experimentation has been productive, I think I'll be able to provide most of the functions again, and there's new possibilities to play with.

High hopes! Thank you!

I'd really like a feature I've been missing for a while now. I find it kind of hard to describe. I'd like a "missing out"-feature to create a symmetry like the Atlas V 541 SRBs. I know it's way easier to create with Editor Extensions than with stock, but I'd like it to be even easier. :)

I'd really like a feature I've been missing for a while now. I find it kind of hard to describe. I'd like a "missing out"-feature to create a symmetry like the Atlas V 541 SRBs. I know it's way easier to create with Editor Extensions than with stock, but I'd like it to be even easier. :)

Mirrored radial symmetry? and radial attachment oc

Or the ATV/Orion-style solar panels?

Glad to hear you are still pursuing this, I'm excited to see what improvements can be made to the new editor functions that are now available.

I think we are all sympathetic to this being a busy time of year for most people and that this is a volunteer, free-time sort of project. We certainly appreciate the work put into the original mod and will be patient for any update. (Right, people?)

That would be mirroring through two planes, should be relatively easy to make in theory but I don't know how well KSP symmetry would take that. At least Part Wizard used to make these things easy in 0.25. Make a radial symmetry of, say, 12, and then remove all but the wanted copies from the part symmetry group. It hasn't been updated to 0.90 yet but I haven't tested if it works without an update. I doubt it though.

It would be really awesome if we would get to define at least 2 planes of symmetry to mirror through. Maybe even 3 like in Space Engineers? It's a really, really awesome and useful tool there. Basically while pointing at a part you would press a button which would toggle the symmetry planes and then another button to enable/disable said plane. And whenever you then point with a part somewhere it would show a preview copied through all the planes.

At least Part Wizard used to make these things easy in 0.25. <snip> It hasn't been updated to 0.90 yet but I haven't tested if it works without an update. I doubt it though.

Sorry to interrupt the thread, but wanted to let you know: 1) Part Wizard is very broken in 0.90, so I don't recommend trying it! And, 2) I'm working on an update, to be released ASAP. :)

As for Editor Extensions - I can't wait to see what MachXXV comes up with for the next version. I do very much miss the finer symmetry controls! Hmm, do the new editor gizmos have hotkeys to switch between them?

1. I made this account just to tell you how much this mod is needed.

2. I can't believe "Jeb is my copilot" was not taken.

So obviously, the vertical snap, radial symmetry beyond 8 and different radial snapping angles are still needed. But also if it is possible, being able to change the size of the rotate gizmo would be awesome too. People who work in Maya will know what i am talking about. The bigger the circle the more precise the angle you can get with it, because you have to move the mouse further. if that makes any sense.

So glad to hear that you have not given up on this mod its always the first one i install. Thanks for all that you do!:cool:

I too must add my voice to this whole thing. D: Please stick around, it's true the editor got a majorly needed overhaul, making SOME parts of this mod obsolete, but there are other parts despratly needed.

I like to build in the cargo hangers alot and without being able to turn off surface attachment, i can't get things like fuel tanks in there without them trying to stick to walls and such.

I also miss how many parts i used to be able to place at once, and Vsnap. D:

I love your mod, please get it working again. ;.;

I like to build in the cargo hangers alot and without being able to turn off surface attachment, i can't get things like fuel tanks in there without them trying to stick to walls and such.

That is a feature that made it into stock with 0.25, press and hold Alt to disable surface attachment.

I do miss being able to turn on radial attachment for parts that don't have it, makes creating engine clusters much easier.

With EditorExtensions (once it's fixed for the new update) you can add a bunch of SRB's in symmetry, then use a mod called StripSymmetry to make them separate parts. Then you can remove them one by one until they match up to the positions that the Atlas V uses. Kind of hard to explain as well, but basically just add a bunch of SRB's until the angles are right, then remove all but four (in the case of the Atlas V 541) so they are positioned correctly. :)

StripSymmetry is a mod that I feel has been kind of neglected, it's so awesome that I can't make certain designs without it. It gives to perfect angles while being separate parts and thus able to be removed separately. I'll show you what I mean since it's hard to show pictures without access to more than 8x symmetry in 0.90. :P

Edit: Paranox said the same thing I was mentioning, but he explained it better.

At least Part Wizard used to make these things easy in 0.25. Make a radial symmetry of, say, 12, and then remove all but the wanted copies from the part symmetry group. It hasn't been updated to 0.90 yet but I haven't tested if it works without an update. I doubt it though.
Killer feature: Mirror symmetry relative to parent part (booster separation!). No idea if I can do this with the stock editor, and my head hurts from trying.

Do you mean like how the Space Shuttle/Space Launch System boosters separate? I have an obsession with booster separation and how it works. Usually real life booster separation motors (BSM's) are in mirror symmetry so they push the boosters up and to the side  not exactly straight off to the side like is usually done in KSP  which is tricky to do in KSP but can be done with mods like StripSymmetry and Part Wizard.

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs5/i/2004/336/a/9/_STS_Booster_Separation__by_SpawnV2.jpg

http://www.buran.fr/bourane-buran/img/STS-SRB-separation-grand.jpg

http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/bryan_e_falman_sls_2_2.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/eminEAS.gif  I sort of got it to work with an SLS like rocket I know Giggleplex777 has got it working perfectly, but I can't find the picture now.

Edited by Woopert