Things you've become good at because you are terrible at something else.

Unistrut

My failings are definitely on financially viable designs... everything I've ever built is always WAY over designed. If I need to launch 30 tons into orbit, guaranteed I'll build a launch craft for 90. If I need an interplanetary craft with 4000 delta v, guaranteed it'll have 10,000. I suspect I'd such if career mode ever comes along. I'm also not very good at aircraft.

The two main things I am good at are docking and landing... I've built huge stations with very large awkward loads weighing hundreds of tons and easily docked them all together... I just don't find it hard, though I remember a time when it was! I've also never messed up a landing, it's just something I've always found instinctive. The hardest one I can remember was on a MASSIVE rover designed as a mobile base. It was unbalanced to begin with and I forgot to add a top facing core, so when it came to landing it I couldn't use the nav ball in the usual fashion and had to land it more or less visially.

Massive constructions. Because despite a need to tone things down to more reasonable levels, I always go with moar parts and biggar landers and huger rovers. I absolutely stink at being reasonable.

Gauging total delta V needed for missions (mostly interplanetary ones). I've gotten the numbers off the wiki, but they always seem to come up short in practice, whether due to sloppy piloting, not accounting for braking/circularizing/etc...

So far I've been throwing Moar Fuel at the problem. My test-sim mission to Duna and back (re)entered Kerbin orbit with tanks still half full.

Terrible at figuring out thrust and delta v requirements (never actually sit down and do that math) for missions as a result I've just end up throwing more and more fuel at the problem.

So I've become good at lifting high weight vessels into LKO, spent a day or two hammering away at designing asparagus lifters until I could comfortably lift 200 tonnes up, really makes executing missions so much more pleasurable when getting into orbit is relatively easy and automatic.

Good at: Docking and tugging space station modules.

Because: Terrible at planning space station construction.

Good at: Rendezvous at night

Because: Poor planning

Good at: Using RCS efficiently

Because: Doesn't bring enough RCS

Well, my regular lifter now has three (that's 3) large orange tanks in it's core stage, because, damn-it, I can't stop adding parts.... :/ (I should note that those tanks don't actually get used by the lifter, it's cargo!)

How the heck Scott Manely can get seven parts to land on another planet, much LESS into orbit, is entirely beyond me! I can't manage to get ANYTHING to orbit, unless It's attached to a Lifter with at LEAST 50 parts! But, then, with this BEAST, why stop at 50? Strap on another hand full of fuel tanks, some GPS sats, a new module for the station, etc... My one mission Go-Kart launcher is now satisfying three or four MOAR missions, too. I'm sure I'm going to struggle with early KSP career missions, but once I can take a hand full of contracts and satisfy them all at once, I'm golden! ;D

I've become highly skilled at building massive boosters that can lift enormous amounts of fuel to orbit . . . because I suck at orbital manouevering and generally use way too much fuel in the process. :)

ALSO: I am proficient at getting things into [simple!] orbits without using the interface. This is because I learned to do it before the current interface was invented (and even now, sometimes I can't be bothered fiddling with the burn calculation tool. :) ).

Well Whackjob, it looks like you've become an expert at carpet bombing the eastern hemisphere!

screenshot138_zpsb61111b4.png

I wish I could disagree with you. I think I've wrecked enough atomic engines to create several new Van Allen belts.

What am I good at because I'm terrible at something else? Building superheavy rockets and building ships in orbit.

Why? Because I cannot be arsed to wait for a transfer window and do it the impatient/inefficient way by shooting out of Kerbin orbit and making Mechjeb do the rest. Also I am awful at planetary transfers, even before MechJeb could do it for me.

haha. I am good at getting a rocket to rendezvous with something orbiting without having to orbit the rocket first. its hard to explain. maybe this is better, I am good at timing a launch so that I meet right up with my target when I reach its altitude and then just burn pro grade to match speed (which is also putting me into orbit, the same orbit as the craft im meeting up with). then a few RCS adjustments and I am in docking range.

So say my target is orbiting at 98,000. I wait for my target to get to a certain point in orbit before launch, then launch, burn and turn to set myself up for a 98,000 AP (just like you would when you launch for orbit) as I am getting higher, my target is coming around kerbin and will be really close to me when I level out at 98,000. then just burn pro-grade and match your targets speed. now you are in an orbit that also matches your targets. then use RCS to close the gap.

many failed rendezvous attempts led me to master it.

I got good at building completely self contained, multiple redundancy rockets that could get where I need to go and back no matter how wrong a mission went. Why? Because I suck at docking and constructing multiple parts of a rocket together in orbit or docking later to get more fuel.

I'm good at putting ships into any orbit I need to, no matter the inclination, eccentricity, or prograde or retrograde, with a tiny amount of dV from halfway across the solar system, AND rendezvous with a target in said orbit.

This is because I totally suck at making landers with enough dV to get home, AND also suck at putting them in nice, neat orbits when launching from whatever place I sent them to. Thus, I always have to send a tanker out to meet them in the horrible orbit they ended up in when they ran out of fuel. But on the plus side, I have no trouble at all placing mapping satellites in polar orbits.

I cant fly planes in KSC. For some reason they are far too sensitive to control smoothly <-- (is that a word?:wink:) They have little to no glide capability. So I put all effort in the exploration of the Kerbol system. I have since been able to work up to landing and returning from Mun, Minmus, Duna. I have a space station around Kerbin and Duna. There is a permanent base on the Mun, Minmus and Duna. and various shuttles to move kerbals around between them.

I currently have 2 satellites outbound to Jool and Eeloo.

:)

I've gotten good at building off the cuff rockets and planes. Why? Because I can't be bothered to figure out delta-v and TWR. Yea I could install mechjeb to give me the info but I'm fine without it and always have been. I'm terrible at making SSTO spaceplanes though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.