[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

Hey, I just tried to configure the procedural fairing diameter settings for my tech tree mod, using module manager statements, like this one:

@PROCFAIRINGS_MINDIAMETER:NEEDS[ProceduralFairings]:AFTER[ProceduralFairings]:FOR[sETIctt]

{

%start = 0.10

!miniaturization = 0.400

}

But I still can not make a fairing base smaller than 1m in career mode.

Basically proceduralFairings can now only be used for the stock tech tree with the values set in that file?

I can hardly tell my CKAN users to overwrite that file manually after every update.

Is limiting dimensions really worthwhile at the cost of only working for the stock tech tree, since FuelTank size is the defining rocket diameter limit anyway?

Edited by Yemo

Hey, I just tried to configure the procedural fairing diameter settings for my tech tree mod, using module manager statements, like this one:

@PROCFAIRINGS_MINDIAMETER:NEEDS[ProceduralFairings]:AFTER[ProceduralFairings]:FOR[sETIctt]

{

%start = 0.10

!miniaturization = 0.400

}

Basically proceduralFairings can now only be used for the stock tech tree with the values set in that file?

I can hardly tell my CKAN users to overwrite that file manually after every update.

Is limiting dimensions really worthwhile at the cost of only working for the stock tech tree, since FuelTank size is the defining rocket diameter limit anyway?

Here's what we use for RP-0, it seems to work:

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RP-0/blob/master/GameData/RP-0/PFSizes.cfg

Hm, that is really odd.

I just tried with your config, and I can not make the fairing base smaller than 1m in career before researching miniaturization.

I thought it was the usual problem of the dll reading out the values before MM had a chance to alter them, or even reading them out from the file directly?

Like it was with ActionGroupsExtended, before the change?

Are you trying to delete miniaturization or change it?

deletion would be !miniaturization = DELETE

if you're changing it then it's @miniaturization = 0.400

I wanted to delete it, I thought for !something = whatever, the "whatever" part is only a dummy?

Still having issues with interstage overheating on launch. Is there a fix for this yet?

Have you submitted a bug report to the mod author before? Did you submit logs created during a time period when you were reproducing the problem? Have you provided easily reproducible (by anyone) steps by which the bug can be reproduced?

Have you submitted a bug report to the mod author before? Did you submit logs created during a time period when you were reproducing the problem? Have you provided easily reproducible (by anyone) steps by which the bug can be reproduced?

Nope.

I've mentioned it once before, and I've seen a few other people mention that their interstages were also overheating. I'm not sure what logs I should provide, or how to collect them. To reproduce, just launch a vessel. That's about it. Sometime's it's hit or miss. Most times, as soon as the vessel loads, interstage explode due to overheating.

Nope.

I've mentioned it once before, and I've seen a few other people mention that their interstages were also overheating. I'm not sure what logs I should provide, or how to collect them. To reproduce, just launch a vessel. That's about it. Sometime's it's hit or miss. Most times, as soon as the vessel loads, interstage explode due to overheating.

I've launched lots of them. Haven't seen it happen once. Seen a few people talk about it but that's it.

It really doesn't seem to be widespread so without more information (logs, repro info that someone else can repro the issue with) I wouldn't expect a fix. Might even be a conflict with one of your other mods.

Edited by Starwaster

hi,

I think I found a bug together with procedural parts (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/106975-1-0-4-Procedural-Parts-Parts-the-way-you-want-em-v1-1-6-June-28?p=2074517&viewfull=1#post2074517)

whenever I connect an inline fairing with its decoupler (upper node of it's three) to a procedural tank (and attach the engines aside the node just put them in symmetry mode.

It work at first, but when it reloads the vessel it is wrong (cliping into it for some meters).

Its not alwayls like that, i think its always the first fairing in the rocket, but if it happens it happens all the time restacking does not help

best regards

▼☺

Edited by nablabla

{

%start = 0.10

!miniaturization = 0.400

}

Could anyone else test the config which was linked by Felger?

Eg just put it into the GameData folder, and try to make a procedural fairing base smaller than 1m without having miniaturization researched?

I just can not make it work.

Thank you very much!

Unable to repro problem. I've tried several different sizes of bases and let them sit on the pad at varying levels of warp. And with all three bases (2 fairing bases + 1 interstage)

None of them exploded nor did they heat up to unexpected or unusual levels.

I suggest you post craft files that you've experienced this with and your output_log.txt file (or your player.log file if Mac/Linux)

Hi,

First of all, I am loving the add-on. I have just installed it and am trying to recreate the hot staging that can be seen in the Soyuz. The procedural fairing base ring seemed like a good fit until I found out it easily overheats and explodes. Is that default behavior?

Here is a .gif explaining it.

jyemuAT.gif

There seems to be a difference with the fitted part compared to the one in the list below. Is this correct?

DblQw0x.jpg

I am still trying to figure a lot of things out, so my apologies if it has been answered before. I have also tried to search the topic extensively.

Thanks in advance!

I think I'm encountering a bug where the fairings won't appear in the staging diagram and can't be staged, it may be related to the fairing base sitting on another procedural part, managed to get the pieces to appear by building on a non proc tank and then replacing it.

Am I the only one experiencing attach nodes hanging in the air?

If it's the interstage adapter, that's the way it works. Once you install the fairings, they will support the craft above the fairings, connected at that top attachment node.

Got an issue with the fairing protection (using RSS/RO/DRE/RH). I'm currently building a mars lander and want to build something that also could reenter on kerbin, but the shielding doesn't work.

1st try: The to be shielded parts are basically wedged between two farings (including some ablator) with an heatshield at the bottom. It just doesn't work, nothing inside is getting shielded and heats up regardless. Am I doing something wrong?

Open view: http://i.imgur.com/66UBDdy.jpg

2nd try: Tried it with the black fairing, putting a heatshield below and still doesn't work.

gnIXApY.png

Edited by Temeter

Yemo: you can use only one pass specifier. The specifiers are:

FIRST

(nothing) -- runs after FIRST and before any mod passes

BEFORE[x]

FOR[x]

AFTER[x]

FINAL

You are including both AFTER and FOR, so it will run whichever comes first.

Yemo: you can use only one pass specifier. The specifiers are:

FIRST

(nothing) -- runs after FIRST and before any mod passes

BEFORE[x]

FOR[x]

AFTER[x]

FINAL

You are including both AFTER and FOR, so it will run whichever comes first.

Ah, thank you!

But should it not work anyway in that case?

Also the RP-0 config did not work for me.

I just wrote a new config and did a fresh install in an empty GameData folder and now it seems to work.

Many thanks.

Hi,

First of all, I am loving the add-on. I have just installed it and am trying to recreate the hot staging that can be seen in the Soyuz. The procedural fairing base ring seemed like a good fit until I found out it easily overheats and explodes. Is that default behavior?

Here is a .gif explaining it.

http://i.imgur.com/jyemuAT.gif

There seems to be a difference with the fitted part compared to the one in the list below. Is this correct?

http://i.imgur.com/DblQw0x.jpg

I am still trying to figure a lot of things out, so my apologies if it has been answered before. I have also tried to search the topic extensively.

Thanks in advance!

It's not meant to stand up to that kind of abuse. But you're doing it when staging so does it matter if it explodes? Did you have plans for it after staging?

Got an issue with the fairing protection (using RSS/RO/DRE/RH). I'm currently building a mars lander and want to build something that also could reenter on kerbin, but the shielding doesn't work.

1st try: The to be shielded parts are basically wedged between two farings (including some ablator) with an heatshield at the bottom. It just doesn't work, nothing inside is getting shielded and heats up regardless. Am I doing something wrong?

Open view: http://i.imgur.com/66UBDdy.jpg

2nd try: Tried it with the black fairing, putting a heatshield below and still doesn't work.

http://i.imgur.com/gnIXApY.png

Try using the offset tool to slide the shield downwards a bit...

There are a lot of bugs in the air flow, heat, etc.. From what I have gathered, the game doesn't correctly reconize when parts are accluded or clipped in. They are still in the air flow. It also doesn't reconize fairings for heat shielding. Parts inside can blow up from heating while the fairings that should be deflecting the heat/air are not hot.

The heat sinks shouldn't work for this, but some are finding they do. Use the fixed, not expanding heat sinks attached to the outside of the ship as close (part wise) to the heat shield as you can. I think you can also attach them to the fairing (can't attach to stock fairings), though you will have to do each fairing parts seperatly as mirroring just puts parts on both sides of the same fairing part. Might also try putting them on or near the parts that are over heating.

If it's the interstage adapter, that's the way it works. Once you install the fairings, they will support the craft above the fairings, connected at that top attachment node.

Not like that. When I select any of the three fairing bases, its fairing attachment nodes stay ghosted in mid air where the part first rendered. I have to exit and enter the VAB for them to disappear. I realise I'm the only one now, so PF is probably not playing well with one of the mods I use. I'll look into it.

Not like that. When I select any of the three fairing bases, its fairing attachment nodes stay ghosted in mid air where the part first rendered. I have to exit and enter the VAB for them to disappear. I realise I'm the only one now, so PF is probably not playing well with one of the mods I use. I'll look into it.

It'll be something that uses KSPAPI extensions. A number of mods use it and if one of them installed a version that is too old for PF then that's probably it.

- - - Updated - - -

There are a lot of bugs in the air flow, heat, etc.. From what I have gathered, the game doesn't correctly reconize when parts are accluded or clipped in. They are still in the air flow. It also doesn't reconize fairings for heat shielding. Parts inside can blow up from heating while the fairings that should be deflecting the heat/air are not hot.

How is it a bug that aerodynamics don't recognize a clipped in object as occluded? WHY should it recognize they are occluded? If I take 8 10,000 liter tanks and clip them all inside another 10,000 liter tank.... why should I expect that aerodynamically they really only count as one 10,000 liter tank? Because that's what it would amount to.

How is it a bug that aerodynamics don't recognize a clipped in object as occluded? WHY should it recognize they are occluded? If I take 8 10,000 liter tanks and clip them all inside another 10,000 liter tank.... why should I expect that aerodynamically they really only count as one 10,000 liter tank? Because that's what it would amount to.

Part clipping can be used for good or for evil - landing gear clips inside the craft, but one does expect that to get it out of the airflow. Conversely if I clip 8 tanks inside one I already know I am cheating - if I also get silly aero results, that's my fault.

Even without clipping any parts, putting too many batteries close together causes the fairing not to shield the payload. As soon as I stage the fairings with this ship, at least one battery explodes. I did not clip any parts.

https://imgur.com/a/QSjlq

You can theoretically use the 'ignore max temp' cheat in the debug menu to avoid the destruction, it's worth a try. When I've encountered this kind of bug the part just developed infinite amounts of heats and grilled the whole ship, though.