[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

Or it could be a weird interaction of the two, with neither one nor the other being bugged. For instance, if the two lots of code for generating the procedural parts on load do things in different sequences, then one might be using an attachment node from the other before the node has been given its final position. This sort of bug is impossible to predict and sometimes tough to fix without heavy cooperation between developers.

I figured out what's up with the interstage and procedural parts. There's already code in PF for talking to PP and notifying it when parts change, but the interstage part is lacking the module that the other parts use that handles intermod communications.

The module it uses also lacks any code for such communication.

I hacked in support by adding in the aforementioned module to the interstage config but it didn't really fix it because the code only notifies for the top/bottom node and the problem node is top1.

I eventually got it working with a hacky little solution but it results in the interstage having two sets of sizing controls and it ends up in a wonky sized interstage.

I'll try pinging e-dog about the problem but he hasn't posted since last June. His profile says he's still visited the forums though so hopefully he's still around. I think the solution is probably an easy one that just got overlooked. But another possibility is it's something he knows about that was more problematic than I'm thinking and he just hasn't had a chance to work on it....

Having an issue with the procedural fairings and I can't seem to find anything via google searching. Maybe I am missing something, but I can't get the fairings to "decouple". I don't mean from anything below it, I mean the just won't come apart and there is no decoupling stage... If I'm not mistaken, the last time I used this mod it simply added a stage that when I hit space bar the fairings would fly off. However, I can't even right click and choose decouple.

Am I missing something?

Having an issue with the procedural fairings and I can't seem to find anything via google searching. Maybe I am missing something, but I can't get the fairings to "decouple". I don't mean from anything below it, I mean the just won't come apart and there is no decoupling stage... If I'm not mistaken, the last time I used this mod it simply added a stage that when I hit space bar the fairings would fly off. However, I can't even right click and choose decouple.

Am I missing something?

Probably you are missing the correct fairing. Use the one from the Aerodynamics tab. The one in the structural tab isn't really a fairing. It's a procedural fuselage and does not decouple.

• 2 weeks later...
Any word on a 1.0.5 update? I rely on this mod a lot as I really don't like the stock fairings.

Have you tried it with 1.0.5? Does it not work any more?

EDIT: I sound like an idiot; what I mean is, do Squad's changes to thermodynamics adversely affect procedural fairings?

Edited by gerishnakov
Further detail

[quote name='gerishnakov']Have you tried it with 1.0.5? Does it not work any more?

EDIT: I sound like an idiot; what I mean is, do Squad's changes to thermodynamics adversely affect procedural fairings?[/QUOTE]

What I tried so far work fine in 1.05: Install fairings to reduce drag during launch. I don't know if, when used as reentry protector, they behave correctly though...

Edit: Or on prolonged usage in space...

Thanks Aethon.

I noticed this error in my logfile:

[FONT=courier new][LOG 02:02:35.028] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'ProceduralFairings/adapter2/KzInterstageAdapter2'[/FONT]
[FONT=courier new][ERR 02:02:35.054] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler[/FONT]

It's unrelated to 1.0.5 and occurred before the upgrade. Note I do play under Windows 64 bit, if that's a factor (can test under 32-bit if needed).

I noticed this post:

[url]http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/39512-1-0-4-Procedural-Fairings-3-15-%28June-27%29?p=1900875&viewfull=1#post1900875[/url]

although a couple posts later, e-dog says it's in fact not a typo. Also found an old KWRocketry post with a similar error:

[url]http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/51037-1-02-KW-Rocketry-v2-7-Available-1-02-Compatibility%21-16-05-2015?p=1050042&viewfull=1#post1050042[/url]

Is the message normal? If so, any way to silence it?

Yes, any decoupler that is missing it's FX will spam the log with that message. It is harmless but if you want to suppress it you have to add the following to every part that has a decoupler (either inline or radial):

fx_gasBurst_white = 0.0, 0.5, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, decouple

and optionally:

sound_decoupler_fire = decouple

Edited by Phineas Freak

Ok. Procedural fairings has 2 kinds of fairings: Non decoupling aero shrouds, which are in the structural tab, and decoupling ones, which are in the aerodynamics tab. Make sure you're using the right ones.

This probably should be edited into the op. People with frequent questions rarely click the frequently asked question link.

Is there a disconnect between KJR and this mod? I'm not sure what's causing this problem, but I cannot launch anything without a fairing over my payload. Not even things that aren't supposed to have a fairings. My search continues for an answer, but I'm at a loss on this one.

Found a problem when using pFairings as aeroshell above a heatshield. the game counts the fairings as mountet below the heatshield, so they get full heat at re-entry and burn up. tested shrinking the radius of the fairing base to be smaller than the heatshield itself. result: no change.

KSP: 1.0.5 (32)
pFairings: 3.15

screens:

Edited by acc

I'm having some problems with being able to resize the fairing bases in career. I just unlocked the node which should let me go up to 4m, but it still won't let me go past 1.5. Maybe something to do with the custom tech tree mods I'm running? (CTT and OpenTree) Or maybe tweakscale?

Well it was the tech trees, I changed the PF configs to use the tech nodes from OpenTree and now it works. Though OpenTree does auto-reassign stuff set to vanilla nodes. I guess it just didn't work with the extra checks PF does for unlocking the different sizes...

But a question relating to the interstage fairing, the 'parts shielded' reading in the VAB doesn't ever seem to say it's protecting any parts when I use it, no matter how I use it. Is it still going to work, with stock areo? Same thing happens with dual regular fairings facing each other too.

And on the topic of the interstage fairing, the only way I can think of actually using it is upside-down, so there's actually a node to attach the stuff it's shielding. If you use it un-rotated, attaching it's top node to the next stage doesn't leave a node to attach stuff to other than the top of the base, which gets detached when the fairings decouple... Am I missing something? lol

[quote name='Rodger']Well it was the tech trees, I changed the PF configs to use the tech nodes from OpenTree and now it works. Though OpenTree does auto-reassign stuff set to vanilla nodes. I guess it just didn't work with the extra checks PF does for unlocking the different sizes...

But a question relating to the interstage fairing, the 'parts shielded' reading in the VAB doesn't ever seem to say it's protecting any parts when I use it, no matter how I use it. Is it still going to work, with stock areo? Same thing happens with dual regular fairings facing each other too.

And on the topic of the interstage fairing, the only way I can think of actually using it is upside-down, so there's actually a node to attach the stuff it's shielding. If you use it un-rotated, attaching it's top node to the next stage doesn't leave a node to attach stuff to other than the top of the base, which gets detached when the fairings decouple... Am I missing something? lol[/QUOTE]

I think the interstage is for Apollo style cargos whereby you swing around to grab it once its been decoupled. I haven't used it in a while though, so i'm not sure if the cargo stays attached to the decoupled stage or not. I seem to remember it doing so, as having to install a stack separator atop the interstage comes to mind.