[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

I am having a problem with Procedural Fairings that was in my 1.0.4 build and my now in my 1.0.5 build.  It only occurs in Career mode when  Entry Purchase Required on Research is set to, true, and only happens with certain wall fairings most notably Atlas/Jupiter. When I unlock the AeroTech tree node to use them with my science, go to the VAB and then purchase the research with funds it shows to be unlocked and I can attache them as normal. If I leave the VAB, and come back those items are once again locked and the research for them has to be purchased again for ~4,000FundMost of the Procedural Fairings items work and unlock the first time, but a few others will always relock themselves upon exit.

Also to note that this is the only part mod I have that does anything like this.

50 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

Since PF itself comes only with Egg and Conic fairings, that sounds like an issue with

which adds those parts of which you speak.

Thank you for the reply, that narrows down the problem quite a bit. And I am sorry for my confusion, for I do not know the mods that I install.

• 4 weeks later...

this is my interstage decoupler cfg:

@PART[KzInterstageAdapter2]
{
	fx_gasBurst_white = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, decouple
	sound_decoupler_fire = decouple

@MODULE[ModuleDecouple]
	{
		@ejectionForce = 250
		@explosiveNodeID = top
		@isTweakable = True
	}
}

• 4 weeks later...

Can someone explain to me the actual way to use the interstages ?

So far, I've been attaching the top floating node of the interstage to the engine and then adjust extra height until the top of the fairing reaches the upper stage tank. But I'm not really sure that is the way to do it: it doesn't allow me to ignite the engine in the same stage as the decoupling (stowed) so I have to first decouple then ignite the engine.
Also, I'm not really sure how I should organise the staging, using the side fairings or the decoupler icons for staging seems to make no difference.

Help is appreciated ! :D

22 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

So far, I've been attaching the top floating node of the interstage to the engine and then adjust extra height until the top of the fairing reaches the upper stage tank. But I'm not really sure that is the way to do it: it doesn't allow me to ignite the engine in the same stage as the decoupling (stowed) so I have to first decouple then ignite the engine.
Also, I'm not really sure how I should organise the staging, using the side fairings or the decoupler icons for staging seems to make no difference.

If igniting an engine while stowed is something you want try

Stowed Engines

It still works with 1.0.5. I used backward interstates on my SR-71 as engine nozzles with this mod.

4 hours ago, Gaarst said:

The best use of that part is for creating something like Saturn S-IVB  LM Adapter. (see below)

2IXNE01.jpg

Edited by Starwaster

I'm having an aerodynamics problem and would like to make sure I'm not just doing it wrong before going and reinstalling everything. Adding procedural fairings to my ship actually seems to increase its drag, and the overall impression is that drag is somehow being calculated in the old pre-1.0 number-of-parts way still? This is with FAR installed on KSP 1.0.5. Example:

EDIT: turns out I'm just unfamiliar with the changes made by the 1.0+FAR aerodynamics... all the rockets that worked fine in 0.90+FAR are super unstable and I've resigned myself to putting giant hideous fins on everything :(

Edited by senord
issue resolved

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't read the whole 130 pages; and may have g=been answered.  Is there a reason Fairings makes the game crash to desktop from the launchpad?  The launch screen pops up; but as soon as the launch light on the bottom left comes on, it crashes.

I have a lot of mods; but most of them are ambiance and visual.  Any particular mods that may cause it?

3 hours ago, Fr8monkey said:

Haven't read the whole 130 pages; and may have g=been answered.  Is there a reason Fairings makes the game crash to desktop from the launchpad?  The launch screen pops up; but as soon as the launch light on the bottom left comes on, it crashes.

I have a lot of mods; but most of them are ambiance and visual.  Any particular mods that may cause it?

You say you "have a lot of mods installed" Do you have GC Monitor installed? How much ram are you using? 32bit 64Bitt?

32 bit will crash at about 3.75GB

64bit will crash when you run out of ram (or if you bounce in and out of the VAB too many times with a high part count ship)

Proc - fairings is a very stable mod. you may just be running out of ram.

Edited by V8jester

On 2/6/2016 at 4:23 PM, V8jester said:

If igniting an engine while stowed is something you want try

Stowed Engines

It still works with 1.0.5. I used backward interstates on my SR-71 as engine nozzles with this mod.

how do you install the mod? I 've read the instruction but they are not too clear for me, but it is not working .Whats the name of the interstate? "To use the PartModule, simply add the following line to your config" which config are they talking about?

Edited by edemlama

I'm also having the problem that my game crashes if I wanna use procedural fairings. It is heavily modded, but it shouldn't be a ram problem as I even got the crashes at around 2750mb of ram used. When I looked into the crash report it stated a null pointer to some dll. As I used CKAN to install procedural fairings it don't think I messed up the installation. Without procedural fairings my game runs relativly stable