[1.0.2][May17] SelectRoot2: Fixing stock awkwardness

FW Industries

Squad's attempt at 'select root' is like somebody building a hammer with 17 moving parts.

First, WHY"

Second, it does not work..

I for one, would really like to see this gem of a mod carried on...

Cheers.

The new method is clunky but in what way does it not work? I've never had it fail to set the root part so long as I did what the screen prompted.

(I still sometimes ctrl-shift click, and get sad when it doesn't work)

The new method is clunky but in what way does it not work? I've never had it fail to set the root part so long as I did what the screen prompted.

(I still sometimes ctrl-shift click, and get sad when it doesn't work)

you don't even really need to do that. Just click on your craft once, then select the new root part.

Just one of those times when the 'new' method does not work as easy as the old / modded method.

Again, the newly built mouse trap looks great, has lots of neat parts, and does not work as easy or cleanly as the original...

Sad.

• 1 month later...

Just to add to the people who think this is a way better implementation than stock.

Update, please?

- - - Updated - - -

OP seems gone since october. But then there's this:

Source and MIT License included in download.
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

I wouldn't know where to begin myself, but if some modders are listening... ;)

Well, the plugin appears to be written in python. So you would begin by learning some python. Dont go too far though. You dont need to be an expert for something easy like this. Instead, learn how to interact with KSP in python. Also, try to find the error that stops this plugin from working. Maybe it can be fixed easier than you think.

The plugin is written in Boo, which is a Python-inspired language. If you want to make it usable going forward, I'd port it (or even decompile the code into C#), since there are few Boo programmers, and it might be a dead language.

My guess is it's not going to be trivial, since the code that this plugin interacts with has essentially been rewritten from scratch since it last worked.

Edited by godefroi

The stock one works just fine for those who take the time to read prompts and learn to use it, I swear the laziness in this world.

And this one worked just fine for people who don't want to have to take time to do something that can be almost instantaneous.

Hi everyone! I got kinda lost and almost missed the release of 1.0. After playing the new version I have to agree the stock method is awkward to use. Squad had probably something more in mind but seems like no one figured out what that is yet.

Anyway, I have a new version that makes the stock feature a bit easier to use. See updated OP for details.

Yeah, the last version was written in Boo. I got a bit carried away reading this post. In hindsight that wasn't a good idea. The community pretty much standardized on C#. But the Boo scripts tied into my live code editor I never got finished enough to release. I'm working on a much simpler version, that just loads any dotnet DLL, which I hope to release soonish.

I won't be updating the old version. But if someone wants to resurrect the old version, the version for 0.22 still has C# code. It contains all the core functionality. Later versions just workaround some KSP quirks and those fixes would probably need to be rewritten for the new 0.90+ editor anyway.

Hey FW, I've got a bug for you. Reproduction steps:

1. Create a new vessel with a starting part and a radially-attached but non-rootable part (e.g. TT-38 decoupler).

2. Ensure you're not wearing headphones.

3. Attempt to select a new root. BUZZZZZ!

4. Get out of root mode, nurse ears.

I think what's happening is that it's getting toggled in and out of root mode at high speed as long as there are more than two parts connected together but only one (the current root) is a valid root. I see you have a fix for a "funny sound glitch" in your code, but it looks like it needs another check -- that not only does the root have children, but that one of them can be a root part (which I think means that it has to allow stack connections).

Has anyone delved into re-rooting a vessel in-flight?

Currently KIS lets you disassemble your craft part by part, but you can't detach the root part from it.

The code from the old version could be used to edit the savegame and reload, but that's kinda lame. I'll take a look at how much trouble KIS ran into with modifying live vessels.

It would be nice to eventually have all the editor functionality in flight mode. Maybe we can finally get a realtime VAB ;)

• 1 month later...
The code from the old version could be used to edit the savegame and reload, but that's kinda lame. I'll take a look at how much trouble KIS ran into with modifying live vessels.

It would be nice to eventually have all the editor functionality in flight mode. Maybe we can finally get a realtime VAB ;)

Any news on this?

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.