[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

@Fractal_UK

The Thermal Fin parts in the RealFuels mod currently could badly use a more aerodynamic shape, and a more realistic color for a radiator (*cough* they're currently WHITE rather than BLACK), and I was wondering if I could get your permission to allow a fork of the model for the large, triangular static radiators currently in KSP-Interstellar for a revised version of the part (but scaled-down to a more reasonable size for a craft that is only trying to coll cryogenic propellants rather than dissipate the heat of a nuclear reactor...)

The middle, ugly, white, square part in the screenshot below is what the RealFuels Thermal Fins currently look like:

http://i.imgur.com/vXipoXQ.jpg

Their model could really use some love, as you can see. So if you would allow a fork of the current static radiator models, or someone else could generate a new model for RealFuels (with a triangular shape for aerodynamics during launch, and a black color for realism), that would be GREATLY appreciated.

Regards,

Northstar

Actually the artwork is almost all done by ZZZ. I found this thread where he released the artwork. I believe he gave it a very free liscense, but I don't know much about that so you should double check everything.

All works is "released into the public domain"(as Majiir call it).

I edited the Nova Tech Aerostrake to be a radiator for RealFuels and increased its power by a good margin. It looks and works great!

Edit: I found this in that thread by ZZZ about his art, so good news!

Edited by Rabada

I may have never noticed this before, but I spotted something strange. the tool-tip lists the heat-exchanger temperature of the first-gen fission reactors at 1674K. However, if you open up the thermal helper window, it says the thermal source temperature is 837K. It then gives a truly terrible efficiency calculation because the delta-T is incredibly small. Did I miss something somewhere or is this a bug?

Can you check the core temperature of one of those reactors while it's part of a ship? That will help pin down where the bug is, if there is one. The thermal helper has a few known bugs, this could be related to one of them. The "known bug" that comes to mind is the one where putting even a single Sethlans/Akula series reactor on your ship will make the thermal helper's numbers effectively useless if you have upgraded radiators unlocked (It calculates as if you hadn't unlocked the upgraded radiators). Not exactly a big deal, but it's annoying. Hopefully that's fixed in the next version of KSPI.

Anyways, if you can get a look at the core temperature of one of those reactors while it's sitting on the launchpad or runway, that would be very helpful. If it's the same as the thermal helper, we have a bit of a problem. If it's only in the thermal helper, hopefully that got caught along with the other bug I mentioned above.

Can you check the core temperature of one of those reactors while it's part of a ship?

Just did. The core is listed at the correct temperature on the pad. I guess there's a factor of 2 floating about in the thermal helper code. I didn't have time to launch the ship into orbit to check what happens in orbit with the efficiencies.

Question, is the Mission 1: Deep Field Survey on the IR Telescope actualy functional (in the sence that it generates Science) in the current version of Intestellar, or is it still bugged?

its generatedf but u need to send science instead of that is sended automaticaly ( so u need to have antenas powers etc etc)

yeah i run the 32 bit client because it says on start this is un stabel ... can i run ksp on 64 bit ?

it depends on your OS and system. i'm assuming u have windows. i have a windows gaming computer and it works fine. your might not have a gaming computer so it really depends on your system.

Actually the artwork is almost all done by ZZZ. I found this thread where he released the artwork. I believe he gave it a very free liscense, but I don't know much about that so you should double check everything.

I don't see the static (rather than deployable) radiators there- and I'm pretty sure they were made by a different artist than ZZZ...

I edited the Nova Tech Aerostrake to be a radiator for RealFuels and increased its power by a good margin. It looks and works great!

GREAT! Thank you so much!

Could you post it over in the RealFuels thread so NathanKell could use it in his next release of RealFuels? (otherwise, it doesn't do anyone else any good but you)

Preferably with screenshots of what it looks like, so NathanKell can get an idea of if he wants to include it, and I can find out ahead of time if it's the kind of long, triangular (and thus more aerodynamic), *black* (real radiators are black, to increase their Blackbody Radiation emissivity) RealFuels radiator I'm looking/hoping for...

Regards,

Northstar

I am trying to install interstellar with little success. I know where the file in the GameData folder goes obviously, but I'm not sure where FNPlugin, InterstellarToolbar, openResourceSystem, .gitignore, or WarpPlugin.sln go. The readme file doesn't seem to have any install information. Am I just missing something obvious? Please help.

I am trying to install interstellar with little success. I know where the file in the GameData folder goes obviously, but I'm not sure where FNPlugin, InterstellarToolbar, openResourceSystem, .gitignore, or WarpPlugin.sln go. The readme file doesn't seem to have any install information. Am I just missing something obvious? Please help.

I'm unsure here, but by the presence of .gitignore and the sln file, it seems like you've downloaded the source code rather than the compiled plugin.

What you should have is a compressed zip file containing a bunch of folders that go in GameData. That or a GameData folder in the zip that itself contains all the sub-directories, that can be merged with the game's GameData folder. These folders should contain a bunch of .dll files amongst other stuff. If instead what you have is a bunch of .cs and/or .csproj files, then the chances are you have the wrong download.

HTH

Hello,

I am encountering a problem I originally thought was modulemanager related but upon asking their thread I was directed here.

I installed the mod, tested it in sandbox and everything worked great.

I started a career save, but started to feel I was missing things. I had selected the "interstellar tech tree" on startup.

Sure enough, I compared the save files and I was missing about a third of the parts.

On game startup, modulemanager tells me there are 353 hidden items and I have a feeling the parts I'm missing are hidden.

Windows 8.1, x32KSP .25

Modlist:

FAR

B9 Aerospace

Interstellar

Mechjeb

Hyperedit (no shame)

TAC fuel balancer

all of those up to date...

Any ideas?

Thanks

I'm unsure here, but by the presence of .gitignore and the sln file, it seems like you've downloaded the source code rather than the compiled plugin.

What you should have is a compressed zip file containing a bunch of folders that go in GameData. That or a GameData folder in the zip that itself contains all the sub-directories, that can be merged with the game's GameData folder. These folders should contain a bunch of .dll files amongst other stuff. If instead what you have is a bunch of .cs and/or .csproj files, then the chances are you have the wrong download.

HTH

Thank you. I do see lots of .cs files. I will try to find the plugin.

aaaaaands its crashed .... this doesnt help ... 64 bit ... i5 3570k 4 ghz ... 8 gig ddr 3 1333 .... geforce gtx 780 1gb

The Windows version of the KSP 64 bit client is extremely unstable. Try using the 32 bit client and Active Texture Management.

Hello,

I am encountering a problem I originally thought was modulemanager related but upon asking their thread I was directed here.

I started a career save, but started to feel I was missing things. I had selected the "interstellar tech tree" on startup.

Sure enough, I compared the save files and I was missing about a third of the parts.

On game startup, modulemanager tells me there are 353 hidden items and I have a feeling the parts I'm missing are hidden.

Windows 8.1, x32KSP .25

Modlist:

FAR

B9 Aerospace

Interstellar

Mechjeb

Hyperedit (no shame)

TAC fuel balancer

Any ideas?

Thanks

TreeLoader (comes bundled with KSPI) does not work in 0.25. Might try TechManager instead. Be sure to delete the TreeLoader folder from your GameData folder as they don't play well together (obviously). Your mod is is similar to mine, and I'm not having tech tree issues.

Edited by Einarr

Hello,

Windows 8.1, x32KSP .25

Modlist:

FAR

B9 Aerospace

Interstellar

Mechjeb

Hyperedit (no shame)

TAC fuel balancer

Any ideas?

Thanks

I've had the exact same problem, here's how I fixed it:

Sounds like your game has TreeLoader in it, which is currently broken for KSP 0.25.

Delete the entire folder GameData/TreeLoader. Then go into your saves/(insert save name) and look for a "tree.cfg" file. Delete that too, it's from Treeloader as well.

After that, you're going to want to install TechManager. It's basically a fixed version of TreeLoader that can do a bunch more as well.

IMO, it's basically a straight upgrade to TreeLoader, and it can even read the same tech tree files that come with KSP Interstellar.

Just make sure you delete TreeLoader (and the saves/(savename/tree.cfg) BEFORE you install TechManager, because the two mods conflict with each other.

Both mods do the same thing anyways, so there's no real sense in having them both installed in any case.

Bad things happen if you have them both installed at the same time. IDK what those bad things ARE, but I didn't want to find out the hard way.

Hope that helped!

(And I hope that this fix gets put in the OP at some point as well, if it's not fixed in the next version anyways...)

@Fractal_UK: Could you do something about the log spam for the radiator emissives? There's a crapton of it and I think it may be causing some issues with KSP's ability to process things. The problem may also be deeper in the code used to make radiators glow, I'm not certain, though I suspect you have the update frequency higher than it needs to be.

@Fractal_UK: Could you do something about the log spam for the radiator emissives? There's a crapton of it and I think it may be causing some issues with KSP's ability to process things. The problem may also be deeper in the code used to make radiators glow, I'm not certain, though I suspect you have the update frequency higher than it needs to be.

There is a single line in the FNradiator file, it seems for debugging purposes, that he presumably forgot to comment out when he compiled the current release.

There is a single line in the FNradiator file, it seems for debugging purposes, that he presumably forgot to comment out when he compiled the current release.

Does fixing that line solve these errors? I'f so, which line is it?

Okay, so I'm back with more results from testing the magnetic nozzles.

For all the test ships I made, I kept the amount of fuel I carried very low (2x 1.25m jet fuel tanks, max), and otherwise made as minimal a ship as possible. No payload, no landing gear, not even a docking port of any kind. Pretty much just a probe core, reaction wheels, fuel, reactor (+ 1m antimatter tank if using AIM micro-fusion), magnetic nozzle, and enough upgraded radiators to never overheat.

All ships had all upgrades available. Reactors, radiators, etc.

Anyways, on to the results:

I've got Good news, Okay news, and Bad news, but let me get one thing out of the way first.

Friends Don't Let Friends Use Sethlans/Akula reactors with Magnetic Nozzles, unless they LIKE needless (and endless) tedium.

(Seriously, I bet the reactor runs out of uranium first, even with only 150 Liquid Fuel and no re-processing.)

Now that that's taken care of, here's the Good news: 3m magnetic nozzle + 3m AIM or 3m Fusion Tokamak (so long as you keep it lit).

AIM Micro-Fusion + 3m magnetic nozzle is the BEST combination for the magnetic nozzles. PERIOD.

Max TWR is around (but not much over) 1.0, and Thrust is just about pegged (625kN, max stated for all magnetic nozzles).

Don't take more than about 1500 units Liquid Fuel, or you might as well turn on infinite fuel for all the (lack of) difference it will make.

(seriously, you'll get tired before the engine runs out of fuel if you take much more than 1500)

This combo probably makes a great "slow-boat" Hohmann transfer orbit interplanetary tug for before you get warp drives. Luckily in this case "slow" just means a long time between burns, instead of the burns taking a long time.

Now for the Okay news: 2m magnetic nozzle + 2m or 3m fusion, or 3m AIM.

Performance was... acceptable, if a bit on the slow side. Minimal ships can get about 0.25 TWR, and I think thrust was around... 50 or so? Something like that, can't remember. Generally unimpressive, but still workable if you don't mind 10 minutes or more for a trans-munar-injection burn.

Probably good for "set and forget" type transfers if you use MechJeb. Set a node for an interplanetary burn, tell MechJeb to execute the node, and grab a coffee or tea and a good book.

Still HTO orbits, so still long times between burns, but now the burns take a while, too.

Okay, now the bad news. The 1.25m magnetic nozzles + ANY fusion or AIM reactor.

To want to use these, you either have to have the paitience of a saint, or MechJeb. I'm almost certain the latter is easier to acquire.

Set a burn in the morning, go to work, come back home, it's probably still burning.

Seriously, trying to use these small magnetic nozzles to get anywhere takes about as much time as sucking a large glass of cold molasses thru a thin straw.

The only thing that's slower than using these small magnetic nozzles is using any magnetic nozzle with a Sethlans/Akula fission reactor.

Or trying to move an E-class asteroid into a circular equatorial Kerbin orbit with a SINGLE stock ion engine, and NO MODS.

I've changed my opinion on 2 of the 3 magnetic nozzles. The 3.75m and 2.5m versions are workable options for orbital tugs, and the 3.75m one can even be coaxed into a lander engine if you really want to.

The 1.25m one, however. What's the point of that?

At least you don't really need to worry about running out of Liquid Fuel... ever, basically.