[0.22] Universe Replacer v4.0

Tingle

Ok this mod is looking pretty cool and has caught my interest :D Not sure how it works or how to install it with the textures I want for my skybox, and the different planets/moons. I really like that Duna/Mars texture combo! That looks great!

You can download pre-made skybox texture and just copy it inside proper path, but as it comes to planets and moons, it is kind a pointless since it's only texture you see from space. Looks cool though :cool:

Hmm. I tried changing the sun's texture but it seem it doesn't work.

With the sun, you can only change the corona, not the actual texture.

BTW after changing Jool texture I can still see this green glow.

Edited by El wonso

Man, Duna with Mars texture looks awesome, vanilla textures should like more like that for me.

That looks gorgeous! Can you share the texture?

I present for your approval my Dreamscape texture pack. I upgraded to be a little crisper in 2k and to be absolutely chock full of stars.

Looks even nicer than before!

You can download pre-made skybox texture and just copy it inside proper path, but as it comes to planets and moons, it is kind a pointless since it's only texture you see from space. Looks cool though :cool:

With the sun, you can only change the corona, not the actual texture.

BTW after changing Jool texture I can still see this green glow.

That's because Jools atmosphere will still be there.. and its basically a sphere with a special shader poking through the main mesh of the planet body. Without Unity access to the KSP core package we can't edit that ;/

Although we can edit the ground textures once they are "replaceable" sadly KSP doesn't exactly use an advanced ground texture tile system.... so the use will be limited.. but at least higher resolution will be possible (so no more blurry ground once that's in ,p)

As for corona.. as I discovered that apparently corona is not what I thought it would be.... at least I don't see any change in any sun appearance no matter how drastic my texture differs.... Guessing there are more than 1 shader sprite layered over, and it's only gonna be visible up-close.... not exactly easy to test that.

I present for your approval my Dreamscape texture pack. I upgraded to be a little crisper in 2k and to be absolutely chock full of stars. I made sure to do it in jpeg 10

*applause*

Nice work, sir!

http://planetpixelemporium.com/planets.html

(click on the planets)

If someone has skills, I would love to see this image 'converted' to skybox texture. Please :)

Go here http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/vis/a000000/a003800/a003895/index.html Look at the 6th picture down. 8k tiff that is basically ready to go and plain like the one you reference. I'm just about tired as hell of closing and loading up ksp over and over getting things right. Somebody else.

Throw that thing into cubethesphere then look at raredens pack and make sure all of your pictures are the same orientation and named the same.

http://home.comcast.net/~darendash/CubeTheSphere.html

Edited by Apatheticjester

Go here http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/vis/a000000/a003800/a003895/index.html Look at the 6th picture down. 8k tiff that is basically ready to go and plain like the one you reference. I'm just about tired as hell of closing and loading up ksp over and over getting things right. Somebody else.

Throw that thing into cubethesphere then look at raredens pack and make sure all of your pictures are the same orientation and named the same.

http://home.comcast.net/~darendash/CubeTheSphere.html

Thanks for the link :)

The thing you see when looking at the sun is the sun flare, I can't change that sadly. The corona is what you see when you zoom up into the sun or when an object is blocking the center of the sun causing the flare to go away.

Thanks for the starmap links Apatheticjester! I'm sadly on a crappy connection right now so can't download the high quality images (or upload the result) but I'll try to get a good skybox up in the morning based on both of those. I pretty much gave up trying to draw the galaxy over the star maps earlier in this thread, so hopefully those ones will make a better tilted galaxy for me :)

Dumb question time: Is it possible to just tilt the sky box in-game? Seems like it'd be a very simple solution to the problem of getting the galaxy tilted the way I want.

Thanks for the starmap links Apatheticjester! I'm sadly on a crappy connection right now so can't download the high quality images (or upload the result) but I'll try to get a good skybox up in the morning based on both of those. I pretty much gave up trying to draw the galaxy over the star maps earlier in this thread, so hopefully those ones will make a better tilted galaxy for me :)

Dumb question time: Is it possible to just tilt the sky box in-game? Seems like it'd be a very simple solution to the problem of getting the galaxy tilted the way I want.

I'm looking into adding changeable values if I can get them to work, something like tilting the skybox object might be doable.

Thanks. So, does it need to be re-formatted at all, and how do I go about putting that in the game? I'm sure I need to create a folder called "Duna" in Textures/Planets, but not sure if the file needs a particular name and thus, also what to put in the texture list.

Okay I've taken the 2nd map from http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/vis/a000000/a003800/a003895/index.html and turned it into a 2048 skybox with maximum quality JPGs which is what everybody seems to say is the best for this.

starmap_web.png

I don't see the need for a 4096 one as this one pretty much maxes out on the pixel density of the image it seems. If you're in Kerbal-view and you zoom in all the way you can see pixels, but otherwise it looks beautiful on my monitor.

[defunct site link removed by moderator] , unzip it into your GameData\UniverseReplacer\Textures\Skybox folder. Post any issues, though I may not get to it for a day or so.

Thanks. So, does it need to be re-formatted at all, and how do I go about putting that in the game? I'm sure I need to create a folder called "Duna" in Textures/Planets, but not sure if the file needs a particular name and thus, also what to put in the texture list.

You need to change the name like it says in the text file inside proper folder (e.g., Duna1.jpg).

Folders are already created.

Anyone notice a significant upgrade in creation workshop lag while using this? Trying to place multiple objects or just moving some parts drop the framerate significantly, I removed this mod at the suggestion of a friend and it went away.