Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.4.7 - Pipes as fuel lines and even fewer explosions!

Majiir

Are the Winches broken? When I try to extend the winch just falls off of my craft.

I have this problem too. In one particular quicksave where I try to tow an asteroid, the winch will be ripped off the craft randomly 10-30 seconds after loading, even when I extend the cable and both the tug and the asteroid are standing still to each other (I saved while being in docked mode).

I have tried extending the cable, retracting it or just leaving it alone, both in docked and undocked mode and restarting the game, but no matter what I do at some point the winch suddenly falls off the craft, seemingly without reason (the cable has absolutely no tension at this point). I have changed the maximum distance of the cable to 250m in the config file prior to this, could this cause this behaviour?

Noticed "pump here" option in fuel line part's context menu. But it doesn't seem to produce any effect. Is that working as intended?

Just did a little experimenting with that, that seems to be the way to give the KAS pipe (with the bright orange attachment valves) similar functionality to a stock fuel line (the yellow hose).

Right-click the attachment point on the DESTINATION tank and click "pump here", and that tank will then start to draw fuel from the OTHER tank to keep itself at its current level, just like a fuel line. Note that if the destination tank is half-depleted, it looks like it won't automatically refill itself from the other tank - you'd need to use the fuel transfer function for that.

I've noticed one problem with using the KAS pipes like fuel lines in this way - if you try to jettison a tank that is connected by pipes (not fuel lines), it won't detach itself fully - the KAS pipes stay attached, they don't automatically sever themselves in the way that stock fuel lines and stock struts do. Has anybody worked out a solution to this?

I have this problem too. In one particular quicksave where I try to tow an asteroid, the winch will be ripped off the craft randomly 10-30 seconds after loading, even when I extend the cable and both the tug and the asteroid are standing still to each other (I saved while being in docked mode).

I have tried extending the cable, retracting it or just leaving it alone, both in docked and undocked mode and restarting the game, but no matter what I do at some point the winch suddenly falls off the craft, seemingly without reason (the cable has absolutely no tension at this point). I have changed the maximum distance of the cable to 250m in the config file prior to this, could this cause this behaviour?

Sounds suspiciously like node-size problem, since KSP now cares about nose sizes for joint strength.

I have an issue with 0.23.5 career mode where I can't right-click on any KAS parts on EVA or on ship.

EDIT: issue fixed, I had an incomplete download without the plugins folder. Still an issue. Downloaded from spaceport.

Edited by Javster

So, just did a test and the KAS grappling hook won't attach to asteroids :D

Edit: Did another test. I can mount the asteroid grappler onto the hook anchor and eject that towards the asteroid and pull myself in. Though I wouldn't mind finding a way to slow down the retraction rate.

Edited by Runescope

My very first use of this mod was to save what would've been a complete disaster in stock KSP. I forgot to put solar panels (or any source of power) on my ascent stage for a manned mission to Minmus. Things would've been very, very dicey had I not been able to just swipe a solar panel and stick it on the ascent stage.

So, thanks. For saving my ass. Jeb is also quite thankful I'm sure. :P

My very first use of this mod was to save what would've been a complete disaster in stock KSP. I forgot to put solar panels (or any source of power) on my ascent stage for a manned mission to Minmus. Things would've been very, very dicey had I not been able to just swipe a solar panel and stick it on the ascent stage.

That's step 1. These days, I build my ships with the intention of doing this :)

So, thanks. For saving my ass. Jeb is also quite thankful I'm sure. :P

Your experience just mirrored my own.

I used KAS back in the day (bungee jumping from balloons on Jool), but it's really grown since then.

Solar panel rescue mission complete...

2s5y90o.png

So, just did a test and the KAS grappling hook won't attach to asteroids :D

Edit: Did another test. I can mount the asteroid grappler onto the hook anchor and eject that towards the asteroid and pull myself in. Though I wouldn't mind finding a way to slow down the retraction rate.

I just tried to understand what's going on with these hooks and asteroids, and it seems that the problem might be that they are ejected too fast (at more than 30m/s), and that somehow allows them to clip right through. Reducing ejectForce to something like 8 in the winch config seems to fix it, but then it may make it hard to hit things when there is gravity. Another problem is that the connection between the hook and asteroid seems to be very wobbly for some reason.

The winch GUI window has a slider that controls retraction speed.

I've noticed one problem with using the KAS pipes like fuel lines in this way - if you try to jettison a tank that is connected by pipes (not fuel lines), it won't detach itself fully - the KAS pipes stay attached, they don't automatically sever themselves in the way that stock fuel lines and stock struts do. Has anybody worked out a solution to this?

The problem here is that pipes are supposed to be a way to connect vessels, so they cannot detach just because you detached some other pipe in a pipe cycle. It's hard to distinguish this from a decoupler.

Edited by a.g.

Is there any way to let me pick and replace fuel lines that are already on a craft with some fancy ModuleManager work? There may have been a little mistake that I overlooked until I had a lander sitting in orbit around Ike.

The first is a problem with many dialogue boxes being clickable through. Not sure if there's a fix for it as it could be Unity hardcoded.. I think KER does it though (its box isn't clickable-through). And the parachutes things, it's so the parachutes can be used as such for kerbals. The parachutes add mass to your kerbal (normally, things don't) and the little EVA jets aren't balanced for the large mass on the back and don't really know what to do.

The first is a problem with many dialogue boxes being clickable through. Not sure if there's a fix for it as it could be Unity hardcoded.. I think KER does it though (its box isn't clickable-through). And the parachutes things, it's so the parachutes can be used as such for kerbals. The parachutes add mass to your kerbal (normally, things don't) and the little EVA jets aren't balanced for the large mass on the back and don't really know what to do.

so what would be a better way to transport parachutes?

And the parachutes things, it's so the parachutes can be used as such for kerbals. The parachutes add mass to your kerbal (normally, things don't) and the little EVA jets aren't balanced for the large mass on the back and don't really know what to do.

More precisely, parachutes are added as a separate physical object. All other parts are made non-physical, and their mass is added to the kerbal itself, so movement becomes properly more sluggish, but the CoM remains in the same place.

This is controlled by the "physicJoint = true" setting in one config file, so if you don't like it, you can disable it and make parachutes the same as all other parts.

I found a way to make it a BUNCH easier and still have EVA parachutes

Physically take the box the chutes are in, park near the ship you're going to put them on, drop the box take the chutes and put them on the ship without moving. Reposition the box to reposition where you want to stand when putting the chutes.

How can i make other parts grabbable with KAS? Parts like mod RCS ports and stuff.

Make a Module Manager config with this in:

@PART[partnamehere]]
{
MODULE
{
name = KASModuleGrab
evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.0, -0.15)
evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)
storable = true
storedSize = 2
attachOnPart = True
attachOnEva = False
attachOnStatic = False
}
}

Change the stored size to something reasonable and the position and direction may need some editing, but the KAS debug menu can help with that.

The lab thing though.. As far as I can tell, it can't be done on EVA, but I may be wrong. Were they collecting and then resetting an experiment or just resetting it? Because if it's the latter, it's stock and as I said, I think the former needs an actual part to contain the science lab module.

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

Make a Module Manager config with this in:

@PART[partnamehere]]
{
MODULE
{
name = KASModuleGrab
evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.0, -0.15)
evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)
storable = true
storedSize = 2
attachOnPart = True
attachOnEva = False
attachOnStatic = False
}
}

Change the stored size to something reasonable and the position and direction may need some editing, but the KAS debug menu can help with that.

The lab thing though.. As far as I can tell, it can't be done on EVA, but I may be wrong. Were they collecting and then resetting an experiment or just resetting it? Because if it's the latter, it's stock and as I said, I think the former needs an actual part to contain the science lab module.

Sorry for the bother but im not that good with the codes so can u help me with a little bit more detail or examples on how to? And about the resetting experiments I saw it with scott manley he does it all the time on EVA and I wanna do that.

Sorry for the bother but im not that good with the codes so can u help me with a little bit more detail or examples on how to? And about the resetting experiments I saw it with scott manley he does it all the time on EVA and I wanna do that.

Ok, you presumabely have Module Manager installed, yes? It's in your Gamedata folder, yeah? Well, make a new text file anywhere in that folder (but it makes most sense to put it in either a folder of your own for safekeeping or the actual mods folder). Copy the above text into that text file and then save it as whateveryouwant.cfg (though, something logical like modname_KAS or something). Module Manager does the rest :) What mod and part are you wanting to make KAS compatible? If you want, I'll make up a cfg for you :)

Hmm, resetting experiments.. Could you link me a video where he does that? I can't remember off the top of my head.

Very new to KSP, KAS and this forum.

I purchased and downloaded the latest version of KSP and the latest versions of both Mech Jeb and KAS. These are the only two mods I have at the moment. KSP says they are both not compatible though Mech Jeb seems to work fine. KAS however is very weird. The winches are doing all sorts of random stuff. Falling off, turning into two 'flashing' winches, etc. And as mentioned by another person above I can't grab anything. I can move it around using attach but I can't grab it. He said it 'randomly fixed itself'. I have had no such luck. Any ideas?

I purchased and downloaded the latest version of KSP and the latest versions of both Mech Jeb and KAS. These are the only two mods I have at the moment. KSP says they are both not compatible

You don't have the latest version of something (probably KSP). The ARM pack counts as a version and is required by the latest versions of these mods. The warning displayed comes from CompatibilityChecker, which is built into both KAS and MechJeb, among others.