[1.1.2] Station Science (v2.0: New models by SpeedyB)

ethernet

Not sure what's going on, but since I've added the Zoology Bay, my experiments have had to fight with it over Kuargs even with the Zoology research paused. I have a Science Lab, Cyclotron and Zoology Bay, along with one Kibbal Storage and an Eccentric Kuargs experiment docked. The Zoology Bay has 1 Kerbal while the Science Lab has 3.

My Kuarg count on the experiment will go up, down and halt right around the middle of the experiment requirements. Timewarp and physics warp will cause the Kuarg count to decrease instead of increase.

I even pulled out the Kerbal from the Zoology Bay to see if that would help, to no avail. I'm tempted to undock the Zoology bay if I thought it would help.

After getting enough oomph to get the parts in orbit, I am very much enjoying them. Questions though, then some thoughts.

1. Do the experiments work like regular KSP science where if you do it and return it, the points are limited after?

2. How do I get 100% on the research, you say that the Cyclotron will give you 100% on material samples...but does it also work on experiments?

Suggestions:

Some thoughts on research projects that could be done on the platform.

1. Playing with Sugar (Static attraction and the forming of planets [Real Research on the ISS])

2. Stocked Bar (Kerbals research the mixing of fluids of dissimilar density...then drink them.)

3. Materials Bay (Used to conduct materials research...like melting and mixing metallic alloys.)

4. The Fish Tank (Studying marine life in zero G. Fun fact, fish swim in circles in micro-gravity. But if you give them a single light, they swim in straight lines as they use the light as a reference point.)

5. Kerbal Reproduction Experiments (How do you make a baby Kerbal in micro-gravity...and what are the fuzzy handcuffs for?)

Ok...enjoy.

Not sure what's going on, but since I've added the Zoology Bay, my experiments have had to fight with it over Kuargs even with the Zoology research paused. I have a Science Lab, Cyclotron and Zoology Bay, along with one Kibbal Storage and an Eccentric Kuargs experiment docked. The Zoology Bay has 1 Kerbal while the Science Lab has 3.

My Kuarg count on the experiment will go up, down and halt right around the middle of the experiment requirements. Timewarp and physics warp will cause the Kuarg count to decrease instead of increase.

I even pulled out the Kerbal from the Zoology Bay to see if that would help, to no avail. I'm tempted to undock the Zoology bay if I thought it would help.

Have you read experiment's description? You'll need two cyclotrons to conduct that experiment.

After getting enough oomph to get the parts in orbit, I am very much enjoying them. Questions though, then some thoughts.

1. Do the experiments work like regular KSP science where if you do it and return it, the points are limited after?

2. How do I get 100% on the research, you say that the Cyclotron will give you 100% on material samples...but does it also work on experiments?

1. Yes, but you won't get all available points from a single run. You'll need to conduct experiment multiple times to get all available points for this biome.

2. That would be Spectrometron, and it works only on surface samples. It's kinda useless, because it just boosts transmission value to 100%.

Ethernet, quick question. I'm trying to build a lab that will trickle in some science while I'm off doing other things. To balance it out, I want it to require a bunch of kerbal crew (playing with life-support) as well as a bunch of power to keep running. I've managed to get the required crew to work, but I cant seem to get it to have the power demand. Here is the config that I have, can you point me in the right direction on what to do to get it to consume power?

MODULE
{
name = ResearchFacility
minimumCrew = 5
sciPerDay = 5.0

RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
rate = 10.00
}

}

I have not noticed any missing kerbals, DamionFoster.

I do have some questions about some of the experiments. Seems like some of them you can't remove the data from, and if you try to deorbit the experiment it tells you it's been ruined, so your only option is to transmit the data. It this intentional or is there some way we are supposed to use these experiments multiple times?

Still wondering about the experiments that fail when attempting to return them to Kerbin.

Really? Now that I missed.

It's stated explicitly in the thread OP. In-game, it's implied because each Cyclotron has a rated output of 1 Kuarq/sec, and the Eccentric Kuarqs experiment has a required Kuarq generation rate noted that is significantly greater than one (but less than two).

Ethernet, quick question. I'm trying to build a lab that will trickle in some science while I'm off doing other things. To balance it out, I want it to require a bunch of kerbal crew (playing with life-support) as well as a bunch of power to keep running. I've managed to get the required crew to work, but I cant seem to get it to have the power demand. Here is the config that I have, can you point me in the right direction on what to do to get it to consume power?

There is no support for doing quite what you want. You could just copy the ElectricCharge consumption portions from a probe core, but that'll drain power constantly, not just when you're doing research, and won't make the research dependent on ElectricCharge.

This is a hard thing to do because generation of ElectricCharge doesn't work while the ship is not focused.

Still wondering about the experiments that fail when attempting to return them to Kerbin.

Did you click "Finalize Results" when the experiment finished? You need to do that before de-orbiting.

It's stated explicitly in the thread OP. In-game, it's implied because each Cyclotron has a rated output of 1 Kuarq/sec, and the Eccentric Kuarqs experiment has a required Kuarq generation rate noted that is significantly greater than one (but less than two).

Oh, yeah, don't worry about it. It was just a bad reading day, not anything you did (or didn't do).

Any news on models or updates?

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has run into this issue, but I'm not finding a mention with the search function.

I'm running .23-ARM and have KW Rocketry, TAC Life Support, Procedural Farings, Kethane, and Remotetech 2 installed.

The problem:

For some reason, the experiment modules don't show up in my tech tree in career mode. The "core modules" all appear to be present, but the one-use pods for the experiments are gone. I have deleted and re-installed the Station Science files a couple times and have re-started a career save after each attempt, and haven't seen them show-up.

Any thoughts on the cause? I'm guessing something in my install is messed up, but curious if anyone has seen this problem and fixed it.

Thanks!

-Kaboomsky

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has run into this issue, but I'm not finding a mention with the search function.

I'm running .23-ARM and have KW Rocketry, TAC Life Support, Procedural Farings, Kethane, and Remotetech 2 installed.

The problem:

For some reason, the experiment modules don't show up in my tech tree in career mode. The "core modules" all appear to be present, but the one-use pods for the experiments are gone. I have deleted and re-installed the Station Science files a couple times and have re-started a career save after each attempt, and haven't seen them show-up.

Any thoughts on the cause? I'm guessing something in my install is messed up, but curious if anyone has seen this problem and fixed it.

Thanks!

-Kaboomsky

I can't quite say why this is but if you wish, you could edit the .cfg file on every missing item to require the start tier, or any other tier for that matter so you can unlock them. I had problems with other mods and fixed it that way and it works just fine.

Cheers! ;)

The problem:

Thanks!

-Kaboomsky

Tech tree was rearranged in 0.23.5, devs removed one of nodes (large probes, IIRC), and that made some mods that used this node non-functional in career. Maybe this is the case?

Are the parts in the old folder necessary or deprecated?

The OldParts folder is there to support old vessels in old saves that use the original "welded" parts for the experiments. Since the new models have different dimensions, if I just updated them in place, it could break peoples' ships. If you don't have any such vessels, you can safely delete it.

Is this dead or are you just working on new thingies?

I'm working on models, and I'll continue to make sure it works with new versions. But I don't have plans for new functionality. I believe it does what I set out to do.

I'm working on models, and I'll continue to make sure it works with new versions. But I don't have plans for new functionality. I believe it does what I set out to do.

Very excited to see models. Any WIPs? I'm curious as to the direction it's going.

I think you shoudl include fuel experiments that someone made to work with your mod.. i cant remember where was it posted, but there were few, along with new models.

Just wanted to drop a quick note saying that with the most recent release of BTSM, the instructions you have in your OP for compatibility with it should no longer be necessary.

Finally figured out a way to edit the stock experiments without creating duplicate entries for them, so your experiments should load just fine without players having to perform any additional steps.

Just wanted to drop a quick note saying that with the most recent release of BTSM, the instructions you have in your OP for compatibility with it should no longer be necessary.

Finally figured out a way to edit the stock experiments without creating duplicate entries for them, so your experiments should load just fine without players having to perform any additional steps.

Awesome, thanks for letting me know.

Very excited to see models. Any WIPs? I'm curious as to the direction it's going.

WXxM1oyl.png

From L to R: Existing welded-parts Science Lab, newly modeled Science Lab (so far), stock Mobile Processing Lab

http://i.imgur.com/WXxM1oyl.png

From L to R: Existing welded-parts Science Lab, newly modeled Science Lab (so far), stock Mobile Processing Lab

Good stuff. I like the size of the windows but the ladder rungs + hatch should be the same size as the stock ones. Windows can be any size whereas pieces kerbals interact with need to be a certain size for ergonomic reasons. Just offering up as critique/input. :)

EDIT: Also digging the size adjustment. Feels like you've justified the weight increase. How does the mass/volume ratio compare to the old welded one and the stock science lab?

Looking good! I agree that the bits kerbals would interact with should be standard stock size, like the hatch and even the ladder rungs. This will help the part look appropriately massive, rather than like a resized part.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.