[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

I've always wondered with the Mk1 Lander can which heat shield to go for - the 1.25m covers some of it but there's still bits sticking out, the larger heat shield for the Mk1-2 capsule seems a bit overkill though (and gets in the way of attaching things to make a lander). Any thoughts?

In case I haven't said this before, I very much appreciate all the hard work you've put into maintaining DRE, as well as helping out with SDHI SMS. Take all the time you need to make sure the next release is to your liking.

As we Kiwis would say, "You're a legend, mate."

This, a thousand times!

I've always wondered with the Mk1 Lander can which heat shield to go for - the 1.25m covers some of it but there's still bits sticking out, the larger heat shield for the Mk1-2 capsule seems a bit overkill though (and gets in the way of attaching things to make a lander). Any thoughts?

You could use Procedural Parts and spec out a PP heat shield to a custom size.

The last time I checked though, PP was not supporting DRE with its procedural heat shields and I don't know if that has changed yet. (I would expect it to as several of the developers of PP use DRE)

Which just happens to be in 3...2...1

https://github.com/Starwaster/DeadlyReentry/releases/latest

Although it's taken me awhile to get this out, I haven't been able to do as comprehensive a testing as I'd have liked but things have been hectic so my testing has consisted primarily of

• Reentry of Mk1 Pod / Mk1-2 Pod from LKO
  • Reentry of Mk1 Pod / Mk1-2 Pod from Munar orbit
  • Reentry of Mk1 Pod / Mk1-2 Pod from Minmus orbit
  • Reentry of spaceplanes from LKO

Note that the Mk1 Pod may not be survive a reentry from Mun/Minmus space without adding another heat shield as its own builtin shield is rated for LKO. Or you might get lucky and pull it off.

Spaceplanes are (as below) using a system based on the space shuttles tiles, which may still need some balancing and/or may need to be replaced with something else. To wit: Spaceplanes have high temperature tolerance / low thermal mass. This means they heat up very rapidly but then begin to radiate very aggressively. Due to the low thermal mass, heat loss due to radiation has greater impact on temperature. However, so does convective heating so keep your reentries shallow. It will take you a full half / three quarters of an orbit to de-orbit so plan accordingly if you want to land at the KSC.

Known issues: Jool reentries are going to be harder than they should be. I'll address that in a later update.

Changelog:

v7.2.0

• Deadly Reentry no longer implements reentry heating. Instead it tweaks parameters to make stock reentry deadlier.
  • Deadly Reentry still handles G-force damage.
  • Still no menu. (sorry! Cute cat still there!)
  • Configs for all parts previously handled by Deadly Reentry have been edited to take advantage of new stock skin system.
  • Spaceplane handling is a bit experimental and relies on having a skin with VERY low thermal mass which increases the heat loss from radiation.
  • (use VERY shallow reentries for spaceplanes and reentries will be survivable but difficult. Consider turning off the heat gauges or you will get a frightful scare when you do spaceplane reentries)
  • (no, seriously, turn the heat gauges off...)
  • skinMaxTemp tends to be higher than maxTemp which now represents internal temp, including resource temp.
  • ModularFlightIntegrator is still a dependency but is not currently used by Deadly Reentry.

Does that mean DRE disable heat gauges in flight, so we no longer need additional mods like Disable TempGaugues or Temperature Gauge Killer from DMagic ?

No, but I'll look into disabling them in DRE later. For now, if you use those mods then you should keep on using them, or press F-10 whenever you switch to a ship in flight mode.

edit: You don't HAVE to disable them, but if you leave it enabled, very shortly after your spaceplane reaches reentry interface you will see EVERY. SINGLE. GAUGE. light up your ship like a Christmas tree....

0Eakg18l.png

Edit #2: Note that the ship above DID survive reentry.

Edited by Starwaster

I probably keep using any of those even if Squad fix all bugs related to them. Reason: they just not look nice to me (personal preference) - visual fx should be enough to tell you if some parts are hot or not, if needed inspect parts by right click on it.

Thanks for clarification.

I have this error when trying to run the latest released DR I think maybe the old DLL was included? IDK just a guess. Hope that helps! Logs!

Non platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\DeadlyReentry\Plugins\DeadlyReentry.dll (this message is harmless)
AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'DeadlyReentry': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.

at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)

at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at AssemblyLoader.LoadAssemblies () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Additional information about this exception:

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'DeadlyReentry.ModuleAeroReentry' from assembly 'DeadlyReentry, Version=7.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

I have this error when trying to run the latest released DR I think maybe the old DLL was included? IDK just a guess. Hope that helps! Logs!

Non platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\DeadlyReentry\Plugins\DeadlyReentry.dll (this message is harmless)
AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'DeadlyReentry': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.

at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)

at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at AssemblyLoader.LoadAssemblies () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Additional information about this exception:

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'DeadlyReentry.ModuleAeroReentry' from assembly 'DeadlyReentry, Version=7.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

No, that's just me forgetting to update the plugin's version number. If you tried to run with the actual 7.1 dll it would still load but you'd get a different set of errors.

I have to see the logs but I have a feeling this will be linked to ModularFlightIntegrator. What version of that are you running? (should be 1.1) And are you running FAR or RealHeat? I don't think RH has updated its ModularFlightIntegrator yet... if you didn't overwrite MFI with the new copy then DRE is probably looking for that. If you were to overwrite then RH probably wouldn't run. And FAR is - I think - using 1.1 unless Ferram didn't update yet. All of which is ironic because DRE doesn't REALLY require MFI right now but I left in the dependency because there's a chance that I may want to make use of it again in the near future :(

But let me go take a look at the logs and I should know shortly.

No, that's just me forgetting to update the plugin's version number. If you tried to run with the actual 7.1 dll it would still load but you'd get a different set of errors.

I have to see the logs but I have a feeling this will be linked to ModularFlightIntegrator. What version of that are you running? (should be 1.1) And are you running FAR or RealHeat? I don't think RH has updated its ModularFlightIntegrator yet... if you didn't overwrite MFI with the new copy then DRE is probably looking for that. If you were to overwrite then RH probably wouldn't run. And FAR is - I think - using 1.1 unless Ferram didn't update yet. All of which is ironic because DRE doesn't REALLY require MFI right now but I left in the dependency because there's a chance that I may want to make use of it again in the near future :(

But let me go take a look at the logs and I should know shortly.

MFI is at 1.1.1 now. That was without FAR with just MFI and DRE.

MFI is at 1.1.1 now. That was without FAR with just MFI and DRE.

It's an MFI issue for sure. Apparently I didn't properly update the dependency settings AND I had an old version of MFI loitering somewhere it shouldn't have been so everything was loading properly for me and I didn't see the problem.

I'll have a fix up shortly :(

It's an MFI issue for sure. Apparently I didn't properly update the dependency settings AND I had an old version of MFI loitering somewhere it shouldn't have been so everything was loading properly for me and I didn't see the problem.

I'll have a fix up shortly :(

Just glad to have it resolved :) wouldn't the same without DR. Thanks again!

Just glad to have it resolved :) wouldn't the same without DR. Thanks again!

You probably could have got by without the plugin, 90% of the mod is now in its configs. But you wouldn't have got the Kerbal killing G-forces.

https://github.com/Starwaster/DeadlyReentry/releases/latest

V7.2.1

• Removed Modular Flight Integrator dependency

To all that downloaded 7.2.0, if you don't have FAR or RealHeat then delete the ModularFlightIntegrator that was in the 7.2.0 download.

You probably could have got by without the plugin, 90% of the mod is now in its configs. But you wouldn't have got the Kerbal killing G-forces.

But then it just wouldn't be DRE ;)

Hi Starwaster,

First, thank you. Let me express how much I've consider DRE a necessary part of KSP--since 1.04 came out, I've been playing any other game in my library while I waited for the DRE update because I wasn't about to play KSP without it.

Now, here's my question. A while back there was the whole discussion about the Ablator vs Ablative Shielding resource. If DRE no longer implements any reentry heating effects, but instead tweaks the stock settings, what are the ramifications for heat shields? I ask with a very practical matter at hand; my Duna mission return capsules were built using DRE heat shields, not stock. So what will happen upon their return?

A secondary question to the first: if your future plans for DRE don't involve a separate heating system from stock, is it time to integrate to a single heat shielding resource? One benefit I can see is that updates to KSP wouldn't mean be potentially save breaking for crafts designed with the previous version. Don't get me wrong--I am not advocating one way over another, but asking your plans for future development.

Again, thank you.

Hi Starwaster,

First, thank you. Let me express how much I've consider DRE a necessary part of KSP--since 1.04 came out, I've been playing any other game in my library while I waited for the DRE update because I wasn't about to play KSP without it.

Now, here's my question. A while back there was the whole discussion about the Ablator vs Ablative Shielding resource. If DRE no longer implements any reentry heating effects, but instead tweaks the stock settings, what are the ramifications for heat shields? I ask with a very practical matter at hand; my Duna mission return capsules were built using DRE heat shields, not stock. So what will happen upon their return?

A secondary question to the first: if your future plans for DRE don't involve a separate heating system from stock, is it time to integrate to a single heat shielding resource? One benefit I can see is that updates to KSP wouldn't mean be potentially save breaking for crafts designed with the previous version. Don't get me wrong--I am not advocating one way over another, but asking your plans for future development.

Again, thank you.

DRE shields are no longer a separately implemented class. They extend the stock shield class and behave identically with the exception that they provide the option to modify the part's maxTemp so that they are more prone to burn up when shield resource is depleted.

regarding resources, the pre-existing shield resource will not be removed, at all, ever. If for no other reason than backwards compatibility. Stock shields will still use the stock resource so they are not affected if the mod is uninstalled.

Would you consider, if you haven't already, adding fairings to you heatshields. So that a part underneath with have a smooth clean transition over the heatshield. Aesthetically its nice and everyone should be using Far now wants shapes to be smooth. I had another mod not have mod not include colliders on their fairing FAR was not amused lol.

Would you consider, if you haven't already, adding fairings to you heatshields. So that a part underneath with have a smooth clean transition over the heatshield. Aesthetically its nice and everyone should be using Far now wants shapes to be smooth. I had another mod not have mod not include colliders on their fairing FAR was not amused lol.

Not sure what you're asking for.... you mean like the fairings engines have? I have no idea how FAR treats those and I don't have access to the original models.

We've got nice form fitting decouplers for the heat shields. That's the best I can do right now...

Not sure what you're asking for.... you mean like the fairings engines have? I have no idea how FAR treats those and I don't have access to the original models.

We've got nice form fitting decouplers for the heat shields. That's the best I can do right now...

Oh yes now that you saw that I remember you addressed this before. Thank you though really enjoying the update! :)

starwaster which program u guys use to compile the.dll cause i tried it with visual studiuos but due to the .csproj file missing from both it and flight integator there no way i know how to do anything beyound text editing to see the stuff the the .cs

starwaster which program u guys use to compile the.dll cause i tried it with visual studiuos but due to the .csproj file missing from both it and flight integator there no way i know how to do anything beyound text editing to see the stuff the the .cs

You can always create a csproj file manually ;) It's not like it's a showstopper when it's missing. (or at least it's never been one for me)

Currently MFI is detached so that's not a concern for compiling DRE

But here's the current csproj file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8jv5c7ndmiir7fe/DeadlyReentry.csproj?dl=1

(And I use MonoDevelop to develop and compile my projects)