[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Does anyone have the correct Citylights main.tga file for RSS v6?

Someone posted an Earth Lights file to show proper city lights (based on the locations of real cities relative to the Earth, I believe). Going to find the post and edit this with the link. :)

Edit: Here it is http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55145-0-23-WIP-Alpha-Real-Solar-System-v5-5-KSP23-fix-12-23-13?p=936002&viewfull=1#post936002 :)

Edited by Woopert

I have a few problems. BTW I am using the pre-release with the Earth terrain.

Sometimes, all the planets (except the one I'm orbiting) disappear. Earth is barely visible, there is no light from the sun, no moon, no day or night. When I go to the map screen it is completely black and my game falls to about 1fps. I believe this is either because of RSS or Planet Factory. Problem is I don't know which it is.

Second: There are no city lights. I have the City lights and clouds mod installed and the clouds work as intended. But I never see city lights at all. Not from the vehicle screen, not from EVA, not from map view.

Finally: I think some biomes are off, or at least my version is damaged. I spent 20 minutes getting a probe to the desert for science, only for it to say it was in the ocean. Not to mention the terrain was green...where the sahara is.

I have a few problems. BTW I am using the pre-release with the Earth terrain.

Sometimes, all the planets (except the one I'm orbiting) disappear. Earth is barely visible, there is no light from the sun, no moon, no day or night. When I go to the map screen it is completely black and my game falls to about 1fps. I believe this is either because of RSS or Planet Factory. Problem is I don't know which it is.

Second: There are no city lights. I have the City lights and clouds mod installed and the clouds work as intended. But I never see city lights at all. Not from the vehicle screen, not from EVA, not from map view.

Finally: I think some biomes are off, or at least my version is damaged. I spent 20 minutes getting a probe to the desert for science, only for it to say it was in the ocean. Not to mention the terrain was green...where the sahara is.

For the first one, when something like that happens, KSP_Data/output_log.txt!!!!!!!

As soon as possible, before it accidentally gets deleted :(

Hi, Anyone have a basically accurate biome map of Earth we can use with this prerelease? It would be nice to have the oceans/land seen by instruments as what they roughly are in real life. Has anyone done this already and i somehow missed it?

Sax Man Aeronautics: You can compile from source, or grab the pre-release in this post

Hodo: You can duplicate the PQSCity node in the cfg, and change KEYname to IslandAirfield

Here are the original parameters for the Island airfield:

[LOG 19:50:10.604] PQSCity IslandAirfield
[LOG 19:50:10.604] Parent sphere: Kerbin
[LOG 19:50:10.605] order = 100
[LOG 19:50:10.605] reorientToSphere = True
[LOG 19:50:10.606] repositionRadial = (186253.6, -16135.7, -570176.8)
[LOG 19:50:10.606] repositionRadiusOffset = 28
[LOG 19:50:10.606] repositionToSphere = True
[LOG 19:50:10.607] repositionToSphereSurface = True

Try increasnig repositionRadiusOffset to like 40 or so.

so it'd look like

PQSCity
{
KEYname = IslandAirfield
repositionRadiusOffset = 40
}

Tried that NathanKell and no dice. It didn't work, the island airfield is still very much under ground.

This is what I have in the Real Solar System cfg file.

PQSCity

{

KEYname = IslandAirfield

Parent sphere: Kerbin

order = 100

reorientToSphere = True

repositionRadial = 186253.6, -16135.7, -570176.8

repositionToSphere = True

repositionToSphereSurface = True

lodvisibleRangeMult = 6

}}

For anyone having issues with the whole pre release real earth thing, this is what i found after a few hours of fiddling:

Custom biome for map for "custom biome mod" made by amo28 >> https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7pm...JSOEp5UUU/edit

RSS v6_pre1 Download >> https://www.dropbox.com/s/wt7bh2g4g7...em_v6_pre1.zip

City lights and clouds fpr "real earth"m Copy the BoulderCo folder from linked zip file into your GameData folder and let it OVERWRITE the original stuff already there, except for anything related to texture compressor mod that also resides in the "BoulderCo" folder (if you use the compressor mod found here) https://www.dropbox.com/s/ygxgxouxrp...arthLights.zip

And finally edit the remotetech_settings.cfg file as so:

ConsumptionMultiplier = 0.1

RangeMultiplier = 10

ActiveVesselGuid = 35b89a0d664c43c6bec8d0840afc97b2

SpeedOfLight = 3E+08

MapFilter = Omni, Dish, Planet, Path

EnableSignalDelay = False

RangeModelType = Additive

MultipleAntennaMultiplier = 0

ThrottleTimeWarp = True

DishConnectionColor = 0.9960784,0.7019608,0.03137255,1

OmniConnectionColor = 0.5529412,0.5176471,0.4078431,1

ActiveConnectionColor = 0.6588235,1,0.01568628,1

NathanKell_MultipleAntennaSupport = True

GroundStations

{

STATION

{

Guid = 5105f5a9-d628-41c6-ad4b-21154e8fc488

Name = Mission Control

Latitude = 28.608389

Longitude = -80.604333

Height = 75

Body = 1

Antennas

{

ANTENNA

{

Omni = 7.5E+07

}

}

}

}

As a note these files are the creations of other users, not I, please respect the work they did (and that i did not do)

I was wondering if there was a way to maintain the terrain (heightmaps?) from stock?

It looks like the terrain was smoothed out so that mountains aren't ridiculously high, but I kinda miss some of the more treacherous terrain on some of the moons (using stock system rescaled)

When I am in low orbit, the terrain appears to be stock-like, but once I get close to the surface, it appears to load a different heightmap that makes everything pretty flat.

Not sure if this is as simple as editing the .cfg or not so I thought I would ask. Thanks.

Edit:

So after reading a bit it looks like PQS is responsible for terrain generation. Can playing with these values in the .cfg give more varied and uneven/mountainous terrain?

It also looks like only Kerbin and Mun have these settings in the RealSolarSystem.cfg though. Assuming I can play with these values to change the terrain, how would this be applied to other celestial bodies?

Edited by Sternface

It's not that terrain is smoothed out by design; it's that with the maximum possible resolution heightmap each pixel is about 5km x 5km.

In the current pre-release (see Aazard's post above) you can see some decent attempts at getting PQS working better. But please, please feel free to tweak more! I just played with them enough to get something better, not something perfect/right.

Other planets can have the settings too, but not all planets have the same PQSMods. Krag's suggested (and offered code for) going to a generic PQSMod data loader, which will make things much better (and easier to set PQSMod data for arbitrary planets).

So if you see that Duna has PQSMod_SimplexHeightAbsolute or whatever you can just copy-paste the node (and the PQS {} block around it) to Duna's node and edit that.

Did you try using the code snippet I supplied?

Yeah this is exactly what I added to the cfg file.

PQSCity

{

KEYname = IslandAirfield

Parent sphere: Kerbin

order = 100

reorientToSphere = True

repositionRadial = 186253.6, -16135.7, -570176.8

repositionToSphere = True

repositionToSphereSurface = True

lodvisibleRangeMult = 6

}}

It is pretty much what you had supplied.

How much Delta V do I need to get a capsule on a low orbit (110 Km)? I try using stock parts but I cant.

Have I to modify some files to match the new planet and atmosphere dimensions and fuel?

How much Delta V do I need to get a capsule on a low orbit (110 Km)? I try using stock parts but I cant.

Have I to modify some files to match the new planet and atmosphere dimensions and fuel?

Should be between 9,500 and 10,200 m/s, depending on how efficient your launch profile is. Are you using FAR? It will help you get to orbit and is much more realistic.

My launch profile is different for each launch vehicle, but this is a basic summary:

* Launch @ 90 degrees.

* Wait for vertical speed to be around 100 m/s to begin pitch-over into gravity turn. (With higher TWR, you can start earlier, with lower TWR, I like to wait till my vertical speed is higher).

* Turn very very slowly. You want to keep the navball on surface mode and make sure you are within a few degrees of alignment with your surface vector to keep your AoA small. Otherwise transverse aerodynamic stress can force your launch vehicle upwards or downwards uncontrollably.

* Typically, I will be at 80 degrees until ~ 8000-10000m, and slowly pitch over to around 60 degrees by 25,000m. I like to keep my Ap between 30 and 60 seconds away until I leave the atmosphere, and I use pitch to keep it there rather than throttle.

RSS should really not be used with stock. Check out the realism overhaul thread, which has a list of recommended mods for use with RSS. Arguably the most important are the Real Fuels mod, Stretchy tanks, FAR, and Kerbal Joint Reinforcement. The Real Fuels will change the masses to do exactly what you are interested in, and is a more accurate representation of reality than stock. Make sure to instal an engine configuration! This will give you the power you need to really take advantage of RSS without having to build 500 part+ rockets......

Engine configuration information is on the Real Fuels page.

Edited by Sternface

Should be between 9,500 and 10,200 m/s, depending on how efficient your launch profile is. Are you using FAR? It will help you get to orbit and is much more realistic.

My launch profile is different for each launch vehicle, but this is a basic summary:

* Launch @ 90 degrees.

* Wait for vertical speed to be around 100 m/s to begin pitch-over into gravity turn. (With higher TWR, you can start earlier, with lower TWR, I like to wait till my vertical speed is higher).

* Turn very very slowly. You want to keep the navball on surface mode and make sure you are within a few degrees of alignment with your surface vector to keep your AoA small. Otherwise transverse aerodynamic stress can force your launch vehicle upwards or downwards uncontrollably.

* Typically, I will be at 80 degrees until ~ 8000-10000m, and slowly pitch over to around 60 degrees by 25,000m. I like to keep my Ap between 30 and 60 seconds away until I leave the atmosphere, and I use pitch to keep it there rather than throttle.

RSS should really not be used with stock. Check out the realism overhaul thread, which has a list of recommended mods for use with RSS. Arguably the most important are the Real Fuels mod, Stretchy tanks, FAR, and Kerbal Joint Reinforcement. The Real Fuels will change the masses to do exactly what you are interested in, and is a more accurate representation of reality than stock. Make sure to instal an engine configuration! This will give you the power you need to really take advantage of RSS without having to build 500 part+ rockets......

Engine configuration information is on the Real Fuels page.

Great, will check this out :wink:

Hodo: what you posted is the info dump showing the original values for various paremeters. What I pasted under that

PQSCity
{
KEYname = IslandAirfield
}

is what you should add to the cfg, just under the original PQSCity {} node.

With enough thrust and terminal velocity at take off you can get to orbit with about 9 km/s.

Edit*

Lowest amount of vacuum delta V to orbit I've managed is about 8.7 km/s.

Edited by maccollo

Now that I am almost at the end of the tech tree in RSS, I thought I would share the progression of my spaceplanes as I moved up the tech tree. Here are four designs, only the last of which is an SSTO:

The first is mid-early tech. 4 stages. It is not reentry capable, and was designed to bring surface samples to an orbiting station. The pilot had to wait for a crew capsule before returning to Kerbin. Total payload-to-orbit was around 1.6 tons.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The second is mid tech. Two primary stages, all jet equipment jettison-capable. More of a true orbiter shuttle that is capable of reentry and landing. Crew only; payload capacity is very small.

The third is mid-late tech. One primary stage, all jet equipment jettison-capable. About half the weight of the prior space plane, as better tech is available. Most of the craft is returned upon landing.

The last is future tech, made possible by KSP Interstellar. The first true SSTO - nothing is jettisoned. Large crew and payload capabilities.

Hope you enjoyed :D

Now that I am almost at the end of the tech tree in RSS, I thought I would share the progression of my spaceplanes as I moved up the tech tree. Here are four designs, only the last of which is an SSTO:

The last is future tech, made possible by KSP Interstellar. The first true SSTO - nothing is jettisoned. Large crew and payload capabilities.

http://imgur.com/a/8teRc

It is definitely possible to make a SSTO space plane in the RSS, great work on that SSTO, here is the two I came up with a week ago without interstellar.

X-4

And X-6 which can haul around 5 tons to orbit.