[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

The clouds seem a little dark in the more transparent areas. Did you use the blue-marble clouds as its own tranparency (Alpha-on-black-and-white-cloud-image) or did you use the clouds as transparency on a pure-white layer? (Alpha-on-pure-white should give the best results.)

Actually, after experimenting with how to get the best results, I did it in a completely different way. There is no alpha channel here, because all my versions with alpha gave too little cloud volume - clouds were too transparent. In real life, most of the clouds (with the exception of thin cirrus clouds) from orbit are not transparent at all, they are either there, or they are not. Even denser cirrus clouds might seem fully opaque because of the high intensity difference in the reflected sunlight and the reflected and scattered light from below the layer. Also, low level clouds might seem more grey (or bluish/yellowish) because of the smog/dust layer they are in. So for this release, I did it by just cutting away everything below a given black (grey) level (thus those areas have a 100% transparency, while the rest 0%), then rescaled the rest to be a bit lighter. (Plus some editing here and there.) This preserves much more detail and volume. The more grey areas (usually along the cloud edges) provide depth (height) to the clouds. What you see in the images is that the colour of the lover cloud layer in the config file is not white, but around r,g,b=0.9, if you do not like that, you can change it to r,g,b=1, then that layer will also be brighter, but in game, I really think it gives a nice depth (low/high level clouds - although I know morphologically both layers - layer 2 is just a 180 degree rotated version of layer 1 - contain both cloud types here) to the layers. So it is all about personal preference. I do not like transparency in Kerbin clouds, since also images of Earth show mostly non transparent cloud structures.

@papics - I changed your files over to .tga, halved the size and did basically what jrandom proposed. I prefer the whiter clouds myself, but using your config still gives fairly good depth within the confines of the mod. However, I think the reason your transparency wasn't saving in TGA is because you are in grayscale, and you cannot choose pixel resolution when you save. It has to be 32-bit to save the alpha channel, which does change the appearance quite a bit so I understand why you went with the method you did. I'll see if I can't get better results tweaking the file.

2013-12-14_00005_zps1d1b6cd4.jpg~original

2013-12-14_00003_zps24fbc276.jpg~original

Edited by Hyomoto

I have a pretty major complaint about this mod.

You've entirely ruined the screenshot thread. I look at what should be amazing pictures, and all I see is a lifeless looking Kerbin. Thanks again for all the work that's gone into this.

Actually, after experimenting with how to get the best results, I did it in a completely different way. There is no alpha channel here, because all my versions with alpha gave too little cloud volume - clouds were too transparent. In real life, most of the clouds (with the exception of thin cirrus clouds) from orbit are not transparent at all, they are either there, or they are not

Just use levels to brighten up the grays on the alpha.

papics: there is an alpha channel. Photoshop saves transparency to alpha when saving PNGs, and does the reverse when loading. Its handling of PNGs is...poor. Get SuperPNG plugin for PS.

Also, obviously, thanks for all your work on it, and sharing. :)

Hmmm, I see the issue. Although I like the clouds as they are now, I will try the other method to create them (alpha on white), and if that works out then I will share that version too. I will keep you posted. (But give me some playtime too, so not tonight anymore :))

The clouds seem a little dark in the more transparent areas. Did you use the blue-marble clouds as its own tranparency (Alpha-on-black-and-white-cloud-image) or did you use the clouds as transparency on a pure-white layer? (Alpha-on-pure-white should give the best results.)

Aw, crap, now I tried this, and it gives way better results, how did I not think about this before??? I will redo it like this... (Thanks for the suggestion!) :)

Ps.: rbray89, sorry for taking over this thread for the weekend :D

Aw, crap, now I tried this, and it gives way better results, how did I not think about this before??? I will redo it like this... (Thanks for the suggestion!) :)

I learned by trial and error when I was messing around with making CG planets in Lightwave. My first attempt I did exactly what you did. It's not nearly as obvious as it sounds when you already know the technique. :)

Ok, here is a comparison between old and new method and a few shots with the new method. Let me know if the general consensus is really towards the new. It is clearly much whiter and less grey, but with more cloud transparency over land for the not totally white clouds.

8kclouds_changes.png

screenshot162.png

screenshot165.png

screenshot166.png

Night-launches (too) are much cooler with clouds :)

Ok, here is a comparison between old and new method and a few shots with the new method. Let me know if the general consensus is really towards the new. It is clearly much whiter and less grey, but with more cloud transparency over land for the not totally white clouds.

8kclouds_changes.png

screenshot162.png

screenshot165.png

screenshot166.png

Night-launches (too) are much cooler with clouds :)

I definitely like the second texture. And I have no issues with someone "taking over the thread" and crating some sweet textures. :)

I love this mod, really improves the ambiance of the game.

One request though: would you add an option to disable it in MapView? I love it in the regular flight view, but in map view it makes it harder to see the terrain and it can interfere with Kethane's grid display.

Yeah, 1.01. The blue tint in clouds will blend better with the whole planet.

Thanks for doing cloud textures, I think there was need. The current textures been around since early editions.

The only reason I did second RGB layer greyish white wasn't trying to match real clouds, it was for them to stand apart from first layer. I definitely like the blueish color of them you want to put in.

I have to go with 1.01 because I imagine we did similar things to it.

@rbay - Is there a way to adjust the cloud height at all?

You can alter the config or GUI and change the radius value. ALT+N in the space center or flight view will show the gui.

Ahhh. It's like a whole new world, thanks :)

Did I miss the link for v1.01?

I have to do some minor editing (pixel level corrections of the original Blue Marble images), and my afternoon is quite full with other things, so expect it to appear here on the late evening (European time). (In 10 hours)

I have to do some minor editing (pixel level corrections of the original Blue Marble images), and my afternoon is quite full with other things, so expect it to appear here on the late evening (European time). (In 10 hours)

Ahh no worries dude. Just thought I was going mad is all.

You can alter the config or GUI and change the radius value. ALT+N in the space center or flight view will show the gui.

Ugh, I'll have to try again then. I thought that might be the setting but I was looking at it from the space center so I wasn't able to tell. Or do you have to change scenes for it to go into effect?

I have a pretty major complaint about this mod.

You've entirely ruined the screenshot thread. I look at what should be amazing pictures, and all I see is a lifeless looking Kerbin. Thanks again for all the work that's gone into this.

lol! I was thinking the same thing while watching Kerbalkon. The streamers would be orbiting this cloudless, lightless world and I was like "wow, is that really what my Kerbin used to look like?"