[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

Hi, I really like the plugin, with some tweaking (like putting the night side cloud brightness from above to 0) and a proper skybox (I am an astronomer, and I say this is the most realistic: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/44135-0-22-Universe-Replacer-v4-0/page28?p=574333&viewfull=1#post574333), it really gives a nice look to the Universe. However, would it be possible to use a higher resolution cloud layers for Kerbin? Currently it is a 2k X 1k texture, but I was wondering if I could implement a 2x or 4x higher resolution map myself, so Kerbin looks nice even from an LKO trajectory. Could you tell me if 1) this is technically possible, and 2) what exactly is the format of the cloud maps (starting from a BW image like http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view.php?id=57747) if I wanted to do the work in Photoshop myself. Thanks, and keep up the nice work!

screenshot89.png

screenshot91.png

Hi, I really like the plugin, with some tweaking (like putting the night side cloud brightness from above to 0) and a proper skybox (I am an astronomer, and I say this is the most realistic: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/44135-0-22-Universe-Replacer-v4-0/page28?p=574333&viewfull=1#post574333), it really gives a nice look to the Universe. However, would it be possible to use a higher resolution cloud layers for Kerbin? Currently it is a 2k X 1k texture, but I was wondering if I could implement a 2x or 4x higher resolution map myself, so Kerbin looks nice even from an LKO trajectory. Could you tell me if 1) this is technically possible, and 2) what exactly is the format of the cloud maps (starting from a BW image like http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view.php?id=57747) if I wanted to do the work in Photoshop myself. Thanks, and keep up the nice work!

screenshot89.png

screenshot91.png

Of course! The textures can be replaced, the format is color over alpha, so if you take a B&W image, convert black to alpha, you will be good to go.

Ok, I managed to make my 8k cloud maps, and they look awesome even from a 100x100km orbit :) The only thing which bugs me is that the clouds do not block the city lights on the dark side (is that possible to implement somehow?), and I get this strange thing that in the map view they do block the orbits sometimes... Also, from the ground it is also a bit more busy now :) Such a shame it is 4AM now... :S A few pics below, sorry for not putting them in a gallery...

screenshot101.png

screenshot102.png

screenshot103.png

screenshot104.png

screenshot107.png

screenshot108.png

screenshot109.png

screenshot111.png

screenshot113.png

screenshot114.png

screenshot115.png

screenshot116.png

Is it possible to extend the visual atmosphere so that you see blue sky higher up? I'm not sure if that's outside the scope of the mod, or if it is just because Kerbin is so much smaller than Earth that the troposphere only extends one kilometer up, but we get through the visual atmosphere very rapidly. I notice the life-sized universe has a shallow atmospheric effect as well, so I'm guessing it's just KSP. Are you interested in doing anything there? Seems like a good fit as far as atmospherics go.

Edited by Hyomoto

8k NASA Blue Marble clouds for Kerbin

Ok, I put a (not so) small package of the 8k Clouds together, you can get it at:

http://papics.eu/8k_NASA_Clouds_Kerbin.zip

I did not really manage to convert the .png files to .tga (if I do it with photoshop, the files do not load into KSP for some reason...), so if someone feels the need, and it would really make things better, please do (and let me know how I should have done it on a Mac with photoshop or without :D). In the package there is also a custom config file with tweaked cloud rotation rates and some small colour changes, which I strongly suggest to use. Read the included Readme.txt for more info. Have fun, and if your KSP crashes because of this, it is not my fault. But since I managed to run it on my MacBook Air, I guess things should be all fine ;)

Ps.: If Kerbin is "too cloudy" for you like this, just disable Layer2 on Kerbin :)

screenshot101.png

Edited by papics
additional info

Those look just awesome. I will definitely try them later. But unfortunately I guess it won't run on my install as I am really at the edge of the memory limit already. But I am still hoping that there is no notable increase to the normal Cloud enhancement mod. By the way did you managed to get rid of the problems you had with the city lights...

Those look just awesome. I will definitely try them later. But unfortunately I guess it won't run on my install as I am really at the edge of the memory limit already. But I am still hoping that there is no notable increase to the normal Cloud enhancement mod. By the way did you managed to get rid of the problems you had with the city lights...

That should not be a problem at all. Look at my post about 2 pages back where I basically have every single mod running out there and run at less than 2.5GB without a problem.

Am I meant to replace the original cloudlayers.cfg with this new one or just add it in the same place so it supplements what's already there?

Edit: I just replaced it and it seems to be working.

Edited by Kass

So, I've installed these textures and all I can say is, "wow". Textures look much, much, much better. Especially on my game using Real Solar System where the textures looked horrible being as they were, 10x larger than the original. Thanks a lot papics. I've made a few pics so that people can see just how gorgeous the clouds look now. Please note these are using the Real Solar System mod so Kerbin has a diameter of 6,000km, not 600km so in theory anyone using stock sized Kerbin will see this quality of clouds at 10 times lower altitude.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Kass

Am I meant to replace the original cloudlayers.cfg with this new one or just add it in the same place so it supplements what's already there?

Edit: I just replaced it and it seems to be working.

If you just leave the original config file and copy the provided next to it (without any name changes), then KSP will load the custom one, but you will still be able to load back the default in the GUI of the Clouds and City Lights mod. But both ways you get it working :)

The clouds seem a little dark in the more transparent areas. Did you use the blue-marble clouds as its own tranparency (Alpha-on-black-and-white-cloud-image) or did you use the clouds as transparency on a pure-white layer? (Alpha-on-pure-white should give the best results.)