[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

I'm having some problems saving and reloading cloud settings. Whenever I enter a new game, all my previous settings are gone and I have to manually change every planet's clouds back. For example, I want to set minLight to 0 and rimPower to 0.2. But whenever I close KSP and restart it, it reverts back to minLight = 0.16 and rimPower = 2. My userCloudLayers.cfg file and my cloudLayers.cfg file both have the right settings, but that's not what loads into the game. I can't find those settings anywhere.

I'm having some problems saving and reloading cloud settings. Whenever I enter a new game, all my previous settings are gone and I have to manually change every planet's clouds back. For example, I want to set minLight to 0 and rimPower to 0.2. But whenever I close KSP and restart it, it reverts back to minLight = 0.16 and rimPower = 2. My userCloudLayers.cfg file and my cloudLayers.cfg file both have the right settings, but that's not what loads into the game. I can't find those settings anywhere.

Should be fixed. There was a loading bug where the shader floats could never be loaded. https://github.com/waka324/VisualEnhancements/releases/tag/Release-5-3

jrandom: yargnit posted some 8ks a ways back; maybe on the Alpha thread in Addon Dev.

If you just google for cloud map, you'll find lots. They mostly all derive from the super-hires Blue Marble ones. I've found it difficult to find two actually different ones however; most are just value-variations on the original Blue Marble one.

Sorry, I don't have any. I tried to strike a balance between memory usage and resolution.

But... but... that's what your texture reduction mod is for! :) Just asking, just in case you had some larger-scale original floating around.

jrandom: yargnit posted some 8ks a ways back; maybe on the Alpha thread in Addon Dev.

If you just google for cloud map, you'll find lots. They mostly all derive from the super-hires Blue Marble ones. I've found it difficult to find two actually different ones however; most are just value-variations on the original Blue Marble one.

I figured this might be the case. I'll just have to fire up photoshop and make ones I'm happy with. If they turn out well, I'll post 'em here to add to the collection.

But... but... that's what your texture reduction mod is for! :) Just asking, just in case you had some larger-scale original floating around.

I figured this might be the case. I'll just have to fire up photoshop and make ones I'm happy with. If they turn out well, I'll post 'em here to add to the collection.

OOh, that would be awesome!

So for some reason I can't see any clouds from the ground; they just appear under me at 6 km. Is there something I'm missing?

Are you running with the real-size mod? if so, you have to open up the common config and multiply the planet cuttoff values by 10.

I'm more interested in the first note, what exactly was the bug and how will this affect us? I know I've been getting odd dips in performance recently but I don't remember this mod causing it (or just haven't played enough to notice it before?).

Also, I imagine you put a lot more thought into this than me, but perhaps this is an idea you haven't tried yet. I was thinking that if you could sample cloud cover based on the player's location and generate volumetric clouds in their vicinity, that might be a good way to get the best of both worlds. Sort of how Skyrim draws its grass I guess. Or perhaps tie it to the alpha channel and use that to determine density? We'd get pop in but perhaps some creative fading could clean the effect up enough that IT WOULD BE FREAKING AWESOME NO MATTER WHAT.

Edited by Hyomoto

Are you running with the real-size mod? if so, you have to open up the common config and multiply the planet cuttoff values by 10.

I am not using the real-size mod, just stock aside from this mod. I will try the latest release and see if that fixes the issue. Or perhaps it's a Linux issue (case-sensitive filenames?)

I don't wanna sound stupid but from my understanding volumetric clouds only show up when generating them from the GUI right? They aren't all over the planets as far as I could see.

Right. For now, you can only really try them out and get a feel for what they should be like and provide feedback.

I'm more interested in the first note, what exactly was the bug and how will this affect us? I know I've been getting odd dips in performance recently but I don't remember this mod causing it (or just haven't played enough to notice it before?).

Also, I imagine you put a lot more thought into this than me, but perhaps this is an idea you haven't tried yet. I was thinking that if you could sample cloud cover based on the player's location and generate volumetric clouds in their vicinity, that might be a good way to get the best of both worlds. Sort of how Skyrim draws its grass I guess. Or perhaps tie it to the alpha channel and use that to determine density? We'd get pop in but perhaps some creative fading could clean the effect up enough that IT WOULD BE FREAKING AWESOME NO MATTER WHAT.

The bug was recently reported by a user a few posts back regarding changing the rim and min lighting. The values weren't recovered during config load. This wouldn't affect performance.

So yeah, I love the clouds, and love the idea of the city lights, but I just really don't like the fact you get lights and nothing else; so I do not use the city light part of your mod. Do you think you will ever look at actually adding something for these lights to come from, actual city buildings?

Speaking of which: can the rate at which detail fades out be configurable? You need the detail texture to show for much longer on RSS, since each cloud is much bigger. Further, I'm still having issues with non-white alpha in detail textures not doing much (or breaking clouds).

Also, I haven't forgotten the engine FX notes; it's just bits and bobs here and there to collect, and Thanksgiving interevened.

Speaking of which: can the rate at which detail fades out be configurable? You need the detail texture to show for much longer on RSS, since each cloud is much bigger. Further, I'm still having issues with non-white alpha in detail textures not doing much (or breaking clouds).

Also, I haven't forgotten the engine FX notes; it's just bits and bobs here and there to collect, and Thanksgiving interevened.

Yup, that is configurable as detail distance in the shader floats region.

I'm finding my Kerbin clouds are now glowing on the night side.. any way to make them darker at night? Looks a bit odd..

XrDiBsN.png

You can alter the config to lower the minimum light. Either load it manually or use ALT+N

I have an idea that could solve the problem of the camera-facing clouds when you get too close. As you approach, the cloud gets more transparent until it disappears right before you pass it. Also, as you approach the cloud, it stops rotating/focusing on the camera.

Edited by Bartybum

Alternatively, you could form a 12-polygon star by using 4 polygons on each axis which form an 8-point star. This would yield a cloud which while it isn't purely volumetric, eliminates the ugly effect of clouds which constantly face you.