[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

Hardly at all. I have given this quit a bit of thought. The way I'm planning on implementing it is to use a couple (2-3) ring segments, each containing 20-100 medium vertex count rock bodies of a variety of size/shape. When the user gets close to the edge of a segment, then I swap out the other edge to that one. When in map view, the ring will be a simple 2d medium vertex ring.

So that's what that texture is for... why is it there now?

Anyway, I have a great idea. How about you use the cloud technique for asteroid rings. When you get close enough to ring(s), you see dust particles instead of clouds. Maybe also make them color-able so that the color of those particles can also be changed just like the cloud texture right now unless that's somehow lag intensifying.

Make the asteroids or just dust clouds be textures always facing you (but rotation would stay independent), but with normal maps. I'm not sure how the normal maps would work, but that would be cool.

Edited by Astronomer

So that's what that texture is for... why is it there now?

Anyway, I have a great idea. How about you use the same technique for asteroid rings. When you get close enough to ring(s), you see dust particles instead of clouds. Maybe also make them color-able so that the color of those particles can also be changed just like the cloud texture right now.

Make the asteroids or just dust clouds be textures always facing you, but with normal maps. I'm not sure how that would work, but that would be cool.

The reference was for rings. For clouds I have another technique in mind. Similar to how MS Flight Simulator clouds worked.

How can I change the speed of the clouds? On Kerbin they spin like there's a storm 24/7, extremely obvious at 4x timewarp and Eve are probably moving at several Machs. I get that clouds on Venus are fast in the upper atmosphere, but I really doubt they circle the planet in what looks like 10 minutes or less, besides the surface level clouds aren't nearly as fast. They just look very unnatural. This is with pimp my clouds but at least the Kerbin clouds move just as fast without any modifications.

How can I change the speed of the clouds? On Kerbin they spin like there's a storm 24/7, extremely obvious at 4x timewarp and Eve are probably moving at several Machs. I get that clouds on Venus are fast in the upper atmosphere, but I really doubt they circle the planet in what looks like 10 minutes or less, besides the surface level clouds aren't nearly as fast. They just look very unnatural. This is with pimp my clouds but at least the Kerbin clouds move just as fast without any modifications.

Alt+N and modify the speed setting or in the config file cloudLayers.cfg

If you can say us how you set it to get more realism would be fantastic.

This mod DOES NOT conflict with Universe Replacer. (Though it does use a bit of ram for the textures)

Stock = no crash

VE:C&C = no crash

UR = no crash

VE:C&C + UR (8k texture pack) = crash

The problem may be that UR isn't updated for 0.23 but still, it DOES conflict.

EDIT: Crash report show I probably ran out of memory, which is strange since I have 4GB ram. Is it an engine limitation? Any workarounds?

Edited by theend3r

Stock = no crash

UR = no crash

Nope you probably just hit the memory cap when using both which is very likely. By the way use the Texture Replacer mod. It is updated for 0.23 far more forgiving on your System and is actively maintained..

Stock = no crash

UR = no crash

EDIT: Crash report show I probably ran out of memory, which is strange since I have 4GB ram. Is it an engine limitation? Any workarounds?

Nope you probably just hit the memory cap when using both which is very likely. By the way use the Texture Replacer mod. It is updated for 0.23 far more forgiving on your System and is actively maintained..

Yeah, I highly recommend texture replacer. I also recommend my texture management mod if you have lots of mods.

Um, no, the problem is very likely that you ran out of memory. 8k textures take LOTS of memory.

Always, always, *always* check your output_log.txt and make sure that it doesn't say anything about trying and failing to allocate. Memory crashes are *the* most common crash in KSP, and if you're slinging an extra 500mb of textures at KSP, you really ought to expect some crashing.

Stock = no crash

UR = no crash

Unity can't use more than 4 gig in theory, and it seems to be closer to 3.5 in reality. You could (and I do) have 12 gig of memory and it won't matter. Also? those other 7 processors will remain idle while it does all the work on 1.

The practical result is that you essentially have to decide between your 8k textures and anything else. I've personally chose "anything else" and me and my 16 mods are happy together :)

Unity can't use more than 4 gig in theory, and it seems to be closer to 3.5 in reality. You could (and I do) have 12 gig of memory and it won't matter. Also? those other 7 processors will remain idle while it does all the work on 1.

The practical result is that you essentially have to decide between your 8k textures and anything else. I've personally chose "anything else" and me and my 16 mods are happy together :)

You should see the mod-list on my ATM thread. All those with room to spare. There is a LOT squad could do to reduce the memory footprint.

the new one is really better.

the problem is, when i'am on the ground, the layer vanished, i must reactive them once i get the ground.

it's a little strange, but maybe it's because of planetfactory, i don't really know. i'm waiting to have something really satisfied to release it

TpzAnDWl.png

Those auroras look amazing! I hope that you will add these to the stock system to every planet with an atmosphere(that can have auroras) with different colors. There was a thread from a while ago that said which planets would have auroras but I don't know what it was called. Just auroras on kerbin is enough though. :)

Hmm... so it looks like people are dead-set on volumetric clouds... I guess that will be the next on the agenda then.

I must give an answer to this :cool:

- The possibility of change the atmosphere and ocean color. :)

Since we are going to have Aurora soon, here are the planets that I believe should have Aurora:

-Kerbin: It probably has a very strong magnetic field, most likely powerful enough to support the green little Kerbals.

-Laythe: It probably also has a magnetic field, since there it is volcanically active and radioactive as well. Also, its being next to Jool's massive magnetic field helps.

Jool: It's a gas giant, with a massive magnetic field. If all of the figures (aside from size and density) are the same, then Kerbin's magnetic field would be 0.3 gauss, while Jool would be 4.3 gauss.

Planets that could have it:

Duna: It has been reported by the Mar Express that Mars also has Aurora. Little tiny ones that are nearest to where the "magnetic field" is strongest.

Eve: Eve, like Venus, probably doesn't have a magnetic field. However it could still have aurora. From Wikipedia: "Venusian auroras are produced by the impact of electrons originating from the solar wind and precipitating in the night-side atmosphere.".

Hopefully this is a good list.

Hmmm, this seems like a stunning mod ... ! A question that has probably been asked before and answered (but couldn't find it); is it possible to add the clouds but WITHOUT the city lights ... ?

This has been asked and answered about a hundred times already. Just delete the folder inside BoulderCo folder clearly marked as city lights

Too bad the HD-pack of Astronomer doesn't work due to memory issues. I've got 8 GB of RAM but it seems the game engine only uses 4.

-I first installed the high-res VE (works flawless) and then downloaded the HD-pack. The latter one didn't function ingame. In the folder, I could saw the images of bump1 and detail1 while having sizes of respectively 417 kb and 2,58 MB, indicating a problem with memory. I replaced the HD-version of duna1.tga with the one of the original VE, but with no effect. Second step was to delete the only other mod I had installed; Keramzit with the procedural fairing. Still no effect. Third and last step I could think of was the deletion of the high-res VE and downloading the low-res VE, and again installing the HD-pack. No result. Anyone suggestions? (hoping that I'm not asking a question that has been asked hundreds of times in the past ... )