Realistic Solar System Crafts - MEGATHREAD

I was really confused by that too, but I figured out a while ago that the SLS has 4 engines. NASA's website and Wikipedia both show 4 engines. Links below :)

http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/styles/946xvariable_height/public/sls_dac_2_70t_breakaway.jpg?itok=HVzKBdeM

It might be an old design, or perhaps the heavier ones use five engines? I can't remember where, but I remember specifically seeing five engines on the core stage.

It might be an old design, or perhaps the heavier ones use five engines? I can't remember where, but I remember specifically seeing five engines on the core stage.

Yes I believe it is the old design. I remember back when I still hadn't done much research on the SLS seeing the five engines. As for the heavy (Block IA and Block II), they also use 4 engines on the core stage. :)

NASA has a fact sheet that shows the amount of engines and other specifications http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/664158main_sls_fs_master.pdf

This one also shows the 4 engines http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/756702main_SLS_Core_Stage.pdf

By the way, thanks for all the time you put into the Real Saturn V

My pleasure - actually, would be silly by me to not share since I only made it (alongside other less-realistic rockets) to test some characteristics of the mods we are working with, like the awesome Earth Nathan released, RealEngines gimbals, RealFuels ratios, tank masses in StretchyTanks (see that I used balloon cryo tanks for S-II and S-IVB, otherwise they would be too heavy), the nice textures for StretchyTanks released by Ferram, KJR ability to hold it all together etc. Yes, the Saturn-V in my install is a test rocket :P I haven't launched anything outside LEO for a long time now.

Once frizzank completes the Apollo pack for FASA will you be integrating the LEM featured in the mod? There is currently a beta release that includes the lander and some Saturn IB parts and it's very nice. It would look really good on your rocket (or should I say inside, since it's in the fairing)

Sure, actually DennyTX released the LM separately, and I've rescaled it to 1:1 but, the issue is the IVA still is smaller than the outer model. I'm gonna ask him to release a full-blown 1:1 version :)

Here is sitting inside the LM adapter:

e7nS2kz.png?1

Ohh damn. If RSS is like Earth and you are using FAR, you have successfully invented real life SSTO! Someone get this design to NASA quick

RSS is close, I think it is a bit smaller than Earth but not much, atmosphere height is around 100km instead of the 69.4km of the stock KSP. And you require around 9.4km/s d/V for orbital speed.

Hodo: nice!

RSS Earth has a radius of 6371km, exactly the same as Earth's mean radius. However, RSS Earth is perfectly spherical, unlike Earth which is bulged slightly and slightly pear-shaped.

I note that B9 parts haven't yet have their massed real-ized in Realism Overhaul (and it would all be speculative anyway, since the kind of tech B9 parts use hasn't been used yet--let's recall X-33 failed and Skylon is far from built). Not to take away from the achievement, obviously--it's dang hard!

Hodo: nice!

RSS Earth has a radius of 6371km, exactly the same as Earth's mean radius. However, RSS Earth is perfectly spherical, unlike Earth which is bulged slightly and slightly pear-shaped.

I note that B9 parts haven't yet have their massed real-ized in Realism Overhaul (and it would all be speculative anyway, since the kind of tech B9 parts use hasn't been used yet--let's recall X-33 failed and Skylon is far from built). Not to take away from the achievement, obviously--it's dang hard!

Oh I have no illusions that this craft would work in real life, with the current technology. I am just happy I have been able to continue my dominance of the space plane SSTO research. Now the fun part begins, making smaller more practical ones, and larger ones that can actually carry a cargo into orbit.

I have to ask, for those of you using MJ on your launchers, what launch profile do you set it for on the ascent autopilot? I have never used MJ before and I am trying to figure it out. For the most part I only use it now to get the orbit stable.

Profile really depends on your TWR throughout the course of the flight. Generally if you have around 1.2 at liftoff and around 1 for cicularizing, I do a 45 degree ascent, turn start at about 1.4km, turn end 120km, and manually play with the final flight path angle (usually between 0~16 depending on TWR) to keep apoapsis shortly in front of the craft. For really low TWR upper stages it becomes a bit more complicated.

Same here. If you have a decent thrust upper stage, you can get away with a turn shape of 40 or so, and even lowering turn end to 100. But if your upper stage is <1.0 TWR at the start and remains so for a while, you'll need to baby it lots, and probably circularize after apogee too (MJ is not so good for this).

Well made my first decent rocket. Managed to get a half ton satellite into orbit of 500km with it, was aiming for 400km but over shot with MJ doing all the work.

The UR-1 "StiK" (Yes I got the idea from the Ares I-X rocket.)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

First stage is a SRB, second stage is a LOx/LH2 mix, third is a MMH/N2O4 mix.

Show off of anything Real Solar System related

To begin:

1. If this is in the wrong subforum- feel free to move it, i am unsure as well

2. I realize there is already a forum for Real Solar System Launchers, if this seems too similar, mods feel free to merge or close

3. This is a exchange for anything Real Solar System by Nathankell related. This could include: Your ships, payloads, space stations, bases, textures, stories of your missions in Real solar system, or anything else related.

4. It doesn't matter if your ships/game contains any other mods

5. Feel free to post downloads for your ships. Personally, i don't use others ships, but if you want to, go ahead! :)

I'll start off. This is my three Kerbals to LEO orbiter. Currently working on a docking version of it.

The Hermes 1

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Hope to see your creations! :D

Edited by Mr.Rocket

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.