[Showcase] Heaviest Lifters! How much can you get into orbit? 1200t so far!

Nobody? I remember somebody once mentioning they orbited 700 tonnes. I know you're out there!

Probably me, it's a regular thing, but my engines aren't stock. My favourite is the Luvodicus Super Atomic but sometimes I'll use the Revenge (it's even more ridiculous but it's on a 2.5m pad which I don't use often on booster stages). I'll launch entire stations into orbit in one go, but right now I'm working on a multilaunch KM-long behemoth (oh, to have a thousand metre VAB!) with KWRocketry's awesome parts (fuel form adapters &c)

Hm SDK, you ever heard of this guy called Whackjob?

I'm surprised I haven't seen anything from him, maybe he just hasn't seen the thread.

Here is my largest.

I try and make mine look like proper rockets. 4159ton rocket to delivery 503 ton payload. The payload has to complete the orbit from approximately 70k - 40k so it doesn't leave any junk in orbit.

Very nice. I like the look. Got a part count for it?

• 1 year later...

I found this linked in a newer showcase thread. So I hope this isn't considered necroing. But does this count? The payload is a ship that is from 3720tons to 5760tons max. With full ore and no cargo it weighs about 5200 tones and can defiantly get into orbit even at that weight. And hopefully reach minmus to refuel. It is a giant mining vessel. Still needs vehicles and probes in the cargo, but I haven't gotten to that yet. Weighs almost 17,000 tones with the ship at only 3,720tons at liftoff and over 18,000 tons filled with ore. The ship is also designed to carry up to 600t it'self, assuming it can be fit into it's cargo bay. which I may be expanding on as I improve the nose of the ship and add more bays.

The base ship has just under 2k parts atm. And the ship with boosters has just over 2600 parts. The boosters are 18 mammoths in each pillar for 4x72,000 thrust equalling 288,000 thrust and around 2500-3000 m/s Delta V from the booster stage Depending on weight. And up to 3,333 Delta V from the main ship. The main ship has a max of 103.2 forward facing Thrust and 5k for reverse engines. Normally it would use only 40k for take off or landing(40k from 10 mammoths and 40k from 20 rhino's. Takeoff and space engines respectively for max ISP.) plus an 18k auxiliary if needed. the remaining engines are a nearly matching 5200 maneuvering/landing thrusters and the a fore mentions 5,000 reverse thrusters.

You can "Abort" the full mineral load in this ship before takeoff, or anytime, and get maximum deltaV. Or fly into orbit and use them. This ship is designed to be and exploration/mining space station. it can mine asteroids or land on applicable bodies to mine and refuel. It is designed to launch and land both empty and heavy to get setup for various mission types including orbiting refueling station.

So this could count as 600t or 3720-5760tons as the boosters deliver the base ship first. And are designed solely for it.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/136120-StarCitizenReplicas-The-Orion!

Screenshot%20from%202015-10-15%2006-59-53_zpsxbp978rk.png%7Eoriginal

Screenshot%20from%202015-10-15%2007-01-09_zps3otq6akd.png%7Eoriginal

This is the base ship without the boosters delivering it to orbit.

Screenshot%20from%202015-10-15%2007-20-34_zpsxwn5ss9d.png%7Eoriginal

Screenshot%20from%202015-10-15%2007-16-35_zpsr56fjs4k.png%7Eoriginal

Edited by Arugela

Yesterday I launched the lander for my experimental Eve return mission, I'm not optimistic of it's success to be honest as I've never done it before and the Dv was a bit of a guess.

It weighs in at 6795.5 t (including launch vehicle) I forgot to look how heavy just the lander was.

Today I'll try and get the transfer vessel up which I think is going to have to be even larger.

cQ5QfeL.jpg

qtIbyHy.jpg

F8UwgFQ.png

Edited by MartGonzo

• 5 weeks later...

Well I haven't tried it yet, but...

7_ErA_Do9bM9A7bpiSP_WHV1ET9NJvII_EXHqTQ9eKg?size=1280x960&size_mode=2

(payload 670 tonnes)

Edit: I have tried it, it does a direct mission to jool, and stops without an aerobrake. It deserves to be on the leaderboard.

Its stages follow the entire first row being burned, then detached, and then it's already in orbit, so the first 6 on the 2nd stage burn, giving it a direct approach to Jool. The central motor burns half-way, waits, and at Jool burns to slow. It took me a tad over escape, so I used a little on the final stage, and then the rest to put it in the desired orbit of 70 million kilometers. It was lifting a full 14400 tank all the way. I detached the final stage 1/3 fuel remaining.

Edited by AlextheBodacious

• 1 year later...

I know the thread is a bit old but maybe someone else will join me posting his heavy lifters. Go go Powerlifters!

I present you the Leviathan 5kSkycrane, a fully reuseable, easy-to-fly at 3 fps SStO booster for a 2000.000t (two million kg) payload. It has 4k dV with said payload of 26 tanks and has parachutes in case you want to kerbal the landing.

Happy lifting!

shpBrKc.jpg

OFkBY6i.jpg

OFkBY6i.jpg

BXxLR7X.jpgBCCS3jN.jpg

Edit1: changed tons in kg

Edited by MDZPNMD

I present you the Leviathan 5kSkycrane, a fully reuseable, easy-to-fly at 3 fps SStO booster for a 2000000t (two million ton) payload. It has 4k dV with payload and has parachutes in case you want to kerbal the landing.

Dang...

Where is the cargo bay?
I couldn't even imagine a two million ton payload...

Edited by MacLeod-Industries

On 28.4.2017 at 3:02 PM, MacLeod-Industries said:

Dang...

Where is the cargo bay?
I couldn't even imagine a two million ton payload...

You are right it's not tons it's kg, sry mechjeb confused me with the "." instead of the ",". Let's just pretend i wrote 2000t. The payload are the untouched and then decoupled tanks in the cennter.

On 13 December 2013 at 5:05 PM, KvickFlygarn87 said:

Hm SDK, you ever heard of this guy called Whackjob?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS40Kbk_yh2bFm5brtVeuWnF61IF8bQgf4E335MECg8z6CJqGZfcy48xCognA

WHAT HAVE I DONE?

I'm not joking. Who is Whackjob?

I've heard about him loads of times, but never really known what he does. At least from what I've heard he can do some pretty mad things with the game.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

My entry doesn't have as much raw lifting power as some of the others, but it can handle extremely un-aerodynamic payloads. It has very large fins and airbrakes, meant to pull the center of pressure backwards as needed. I built it to launch a large geometric space station that was too big to fit under a fairing.

The station was originally designed to be assembled in orbit, but during my trial runs that proved to be very tedious. So instead I assembled it in the hangar with a bunch of removable "strut probes" to keep it rigid enough to withstand the launch forces. I think I built the whole thing in 1.3, but it might have been 1.4. I can't remember. Anyway, here it is. Payload mass 300t, payload part count 660.

full album

Spoiler

On the pad

ExrAQGk.png

Well into gravity turn, outer radial boosters away and brakes deployed

tgLMNQR.png

Further along, inner radial boosters away with a nice Korolev hexagon

CNXt8DP.png

Station released into orbit

4W177dn.png

Initial systems test

mg67DK6.png

Completed station (after additional launches for support modules)

GRl7X4T.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.