[1.12.x] KSP Alternate Resource Panel v2.11.0.0 (April 10)

TriggerAu

Yeah, I have been keeping up with Kerbal Stuff a bit - but was waiting for a non-beta release before digging in and then missed it. Thanks for the heads up - I have most of the API stuff right and I'll try and add the others soonish to there

Feel free to let me know if you need any help with the API :)

Feel free to let me know if you need any help with the API :)

Thanks SirCmpwn, much appreciated - and I like the new look for Kerbal Stuff :). I'll ping you if I get stuck - I almost have an automated deployment process now - so trying to make sure it stays that way. Will be away for a week or so though and will probably polish that off when I get back

A question on etiquette:

I help with a mod that uses resources that are also used by some other mods. We make sure our mod works by itself, but it also integrates with other mods. Do we package the button icons for the resources we share in common in case the player does not have the other mods installed?

-STH

Edited by seanth

A question on etiquette:

I help with a mod that uses resources that are also used by some other mods. We make sure our mod works by itself, but it also integrates with other mods. Do we package the button icons for the resources we share in common in case the player does not have the other mods installed?

-STH

Please tell me you checked in with the CRP?

A question on etiquette:

-STH

If you've got the resource icons already I think the the best thing would be to follow these instructions (https://sites.google.com/site/kspalternateresourcepanel/for-mod-makers-icons) and include the icons and resource settings in your mod. Then for people who have ARP it will display the correct stuff without a third download being needed - or everyone needing them as part of ARP. That was my idea when I added the mod maker section and would be great to see it used better.

Let me know how you go Seanth - happy to help on this one for sure

I feel like I should clarify my previous question and intent.

Defining the scope:

The BioMass mod is designed to work on its own (with the exception of Module Manager for switching difficulty), but it does use use resources that other mods use. To make sure we are not conflicting with other mods, we make sure we are using the same densities as listed in the Open Resource System Community Resource Pack, and to make things even clearer, we have two separate files listing resource definitions. One lists resources that are unique to BioMass, and another lists resources BioMass uses, but which overlap with other mods. For the sake of illustrating my concern, I'll make up a resource that is in the overlap list.

Light

BioMass

Nutrients

MicroFlora

BioCake

Seeds

LiquidCO2

KethaneGas

PretendResource

Food

Water

Waste

WasteWater

Oxygen

CarbonDioxide

Hydrogen

Kethane

My concern:

A player named Bob wants to use Alternate Resource Panel and BioMass. He installs both. We at BioMass provide a icon for PretendResource and define the file path in the resource definition. Later Bob wants in use mod X that _also_ defines PretendResource. mod X maker was good and also provided an icon and file path in their resource definition.

Which icon does Alternate Resource Panel use? How can we at BioMass keep from accidentally stomping on mod X's icon when we provide one ourselves?

I'm just looking for a sort of best practices guideline.

Edited by seanth

Defining the scope:

The BioMass mod is designed to work on its own (with the exception of Module Manager for switching difficulty), but it does use use resources that other mods use. To make sure we are not conflicting with other mods, we make sure we are using the same densities as listed in the Open Resource System, and to make things even clearer, we have two separate files listing resource definitions. One lists resources that are unique to BioMass, and another lists resources BioMass uses, but which overlap with other mods. For the sake of illustrating my concern, I'll make up a resource that is in the overlap list.

Light

BioMass

Nutrients

MicroFlora

BioCake

Seeds

LiquidCO2

KethaneGas

PretendResource

Food

Water

Waste

WasteWater

Oxygen

CarbonDioxide

Hydrogen

Kethane

My concern:

A player named Bob wants to use Alternate Resource Panel and BioMass. He installs both. We at BioMass provide a icon for PretendResource and define the file path in the resource definition. Later Bob wants in use mod X that _also_ defines PretendResource. mod X maker was good and also provided an icon and file path in their resource definition.

Which icon does Alternate Resource Panel use? How can we at BioMass keep from accidentally stomping on mod X's icon when we provide one ourselves?

FYI... Kethane is not in CRP :) Also it's CRP not ORS (you linked to the wrong thread... the relevant thread is here)

That being said, it may make sense to have ARP icons for all of the CRP resources to share, then just have folks handle their unique ones via their own configs (since you would not include CRP resources with your mod anyway, they would already be in the CRP folder).

Defining the scope:

The BioMass mod is designed to work on its own (with the exception of Module Manager for switching difficulty), but it does use use resources that other mods use. To make sure we are not conflicting with other mods, we make sure we are using the same densities as listed in the Open Resource System Community Resource Pack, and to make things even clearer, we have two separate files listing resource definitions. One lists resources that are unique to BioMass, and another lists resources BioMass uses, but which overlap with other mods. For the sake of illustrating my concern, I'll make up a resource that is in the overlap list.

Light

BioMass

Nutrients

MicroFlora

BioCake

Seeds

LiquidCO2

KethaneGas

PretendResource

Food

Water

Waste

WasteWater

Oxygen

CarbonDioxide

Hydrogen

Kethane

My concern:

I've been thinking this through a bit and I think I may have over thought it somewhat - had ideas of primary and secondary resource options, multiple icon packs, recoding the plugin, etc, etc.

The simplest way here is really for super common stuff we get an icon in the ARP download, for other stuff people add their own or let me know and I can make some. If it does end up that there is "pretend resource" that overlaps and both mod makers create separate icons then perhaps the mod makers can have a chat about which icon is good and go from there.

I'd suggest the best idea is to start from this manual idea, and if there is a bunch of collisions then maybe try some code smarts to help

Ok first thing this resource panel and the alarm clock are absolutely great mods and can't play ksp without them. Just want to throw an idea out, and I'm in no way saying anything is wrong or anything with this mod. The ways the current iteration of ksp deals with resource presentation is just bad.

so I'm.not to sure if maybe you have already thought of this or tried this idea, but idk maybe it's possible and you'd like to look into it or not. I'm in no way a modder so take it just as a thought

would it it be possible to maybe make the resource panel into either a group of tabbed windows, or else something sort of like mechjeb and kerb engineer with how they make multiple configurable windows. A system where instead of just hiding resources forever or until a threshold is reached, a player could make customized configurable windows and switch between them or hide and show windows as needed. So in essence they could make say a Life support window and choose to show whatever resources they like, and then say a production, or ship window with certain resources on it. Then we could just open and close windows or tabs as needed and have an even cleaner and shorter listing of resources.

again nothing negative towards your great mod. And Im not sure if it possible or easy enough to be worth doing. Just thought maybe for the future of this mod, or someone else may want to try, until squad does something better for handling resources presentation.

Ok first thing this resource panel and the alarm clock are absolutely great mods and can't play ksp without them. Just want to throw an idea out, and I'm in no way saying anything is wrong or anything with this mod. The ways the current iteration of ksp deals with resource presentation is just bad.

so I'm.not to sure if maybe you have already thought of this or tried this idea, but idk maybe it's possible and you'd like to look into it or not. I'm in no way a modder so take it just as a thought

would it it be possible to maybe make the resource panel into either a group of tabbed windows, or else something sort of like mechjeb and kerb engineer with how they make multiple configurable windows. A system where instead of just hiding resources forever or until a threshold is reached, a player could make customized configurable windows and switch between them or hide and show windows as needed. So in essence they could make say a Life support window and choose to show whatever resources they like, and then say a production, or ship window with certain resources on it. Then we could just open and close windows or tabs as needed and have an even cleaner and shorter listing of resources.

again nothing negative towards your great mod. And Im not sure if it possible or easy enough to be worth doing. Just thought maybe for the future of this mod, or someone else may want to try, until squad does something better for handling resources presentation.

Thanks Hevak, glad you like it.

Yeah some better way of grouping the resources is in my dream list - I had thought of some "tabs" across the top and then each tab shows a list of ones you want - if an alarm fires it goes to that tab automagically and then going from there. Ironically the display/grouping for it is not really that hard - its the "how do people interact with it to manage their groups" part that is challenging (well as well as creating more work for myself with TWP).

The idea of people having their own windows is a nice idea too - I think someone else mentioned that before maybe.

I cant promise any timelines, but is definitely something of interest, or someone could also work on it and submit a pull request.

EDIT: Went to add it to the list... and this one is there - https://github.com/TriggerAu/AlternateResourcePanel/issues/19

Sort of sounds like what you mean yes?

Edited by TriggerAu
found github issue

Thanks Hevak, glad you like it.

Yeah some better way of grouping the resources is in my dream list - I had thought of some "tabs" across the top and then each tab shows a list of ones you want - if an alarm fires it goes to that tab automagically and then going from there. Ironically the display/grouping for it is not really that hard - its the "how do people interact with it to manage their groups" part that is challenging (well as well as creating more work for myself with TWP).

The idea of people having their own windows is a nice idea too - I think someone else mentioned that before maybe.

I cant promise any timelines, but is definitely something of interest, or someone could also work on it and submit a pull request.

EDIT: Went to add it to the list... and this one is there - https://github.com/TriggerAu/AlternateResourcePanel/issues/19

Sort of sounds like what you mean yes?

Yeah all that you said sounds like what I mean, so does that GitHub post. and I'm new to the whole ksp thing and mods, so I didn't notice all those. Good to know it's something you've had some thought on. Hope to see it whenever you get to something like that. If I knew anything about making this stuff I'd try to help. But I'll just wait and see what comes from you or others in the community when it happens. Thanks for all the work.

v2.6.0.0 Now Available - Download from GitHub or Download from Curse* or Download from KerbalStuff * Once it's approved

Update for 0.25 and implemented some of the requests

• Recompiled with 0.25 binaries
  • Widened ARP Window by 30 pix to fit wider numbers
  • Adjusted Hydrogen gas Icon (Issue #51)
  • Removed remaining spaceport reference (Issue #50)
  • Added option to display values in Tonnes, Kg or Liters (Issue #48)
  • tweaked Drag and Drop Textures (Issue #47)
  • Fixed remaining time calc issues (Issue #46)
  • Change VersionCheck.txt location to be github pages
  • Added TriggerTech Flags

Sorry it took so long, lots going on

v2.6.0.0 Now Available - Download from GitHub or Download from Curse* or Download from KerbalStuff * Once it's approved

Update for 0.25 and implemented some of the requests

• Recompiled with 0.25 binaries
  • Widened ARP Window by 30 pix to fit wider numbers
  • Adjusted Hydrogen gas Icon (Issue #51)
  • Removed remaining spaceport reference (Issue #50)
  • Added option to display values in Tonnes, Kg or Liters (Issue #48)
  • tweaked Drag and Drop Textures (Issue #47)
  • Fixed remaining time calc issues (Issue #46)
  • Change VersionCheck.txt location to be github pages
  • Added TriggerTech Flags

Sorry it took so long, lots going on

You are the best! Was playing with stock resource panel, and well... It was just so darn ugly... :P

you can do that - unless something broke or changed with .25

Dig through the settings, I forget where but stock replacement is there

Its in the styling section where you choose to use the basic button, toolbar, applauncher or replace the stock one.

Update the title of the post ;)

Had to duck off for a few days for some family stuff, am sorting these today - thanks for the reminder

I'm having a bug where multiple copies of the panel show up in the stock toolbar. Anyone else with a similar issue?

Tis a new one to me. What version are you running? do they appear when you first start the game or maybe do you get an extra one each time you change game scenes? Do you have only one copy of the plugin installed?

If you can share a log file as well that is usually very helpful

Tis a new one to me. What version are you running? do they appear when you first start the game or maybe do you get an extra one each time you change game scenes? Do you have only one copy of the plugin installed?

If you can share a log file as well that is usually very helpful

32-bit KSP with ARP 2.6.0.0.

Here is my output log:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=E2FC350951BE3C37!2513&authkey=!AMhZwjbNB6P3oao&ithint=file%2ctxt

It seems to happen on scene changes, but especially when I try to replace the stock toolbar - the replacement shows up, but the other copy doesn't disappear. I've gotten as many as 3 copies this way.

Edited by hjrrockies