BROKEN [0.90] TextureReplacer 2.1.2 (20.12.2014)

shaw

Love the way config files work now, same reason as Cydonian Monk in that I can create my own cfg for my kerbal setups and maintain it easier between updates.

Any advice to make my visor reflection darker? Not sure which way to tweak the reflection in the config, although I've tried the ones that come with it and the ones that come with the planet texture pack and they both appear darker than mine without needing to tweak anything. This looked the same even after the sun fully set, so it's not that

http://www.blade-edge.com/images/forums/ksp/KSP.exe_DX9_20140406_232047.jpg

map that comes with the plugin - again no changes yet to anything in the cfg:

http://www.blade-edge.com/images/forums/ksp/OenbDE.jpg

Change `visorReflectionColour` to `0.2 0.2 0.2` or something. I've just tried and this setting still works fine. And I agree, the reflection is ugly, it's an autogenerated texture which looks fine in my FPS/RTS engine but is totally unsuitable for a space sim.

Proot in his pack is using "grey" normal maps that are obviously usual normal maps with 128 subtracted from the blue component. What is more interesting, some suits even use standard normal maps instead of heightmaps and bumps look just fine. Is this a coincidence or does Unity detect whether a texture is a normal map or a heightmap?

I'm working now with the normal-normals lol (in the usual blue-base/green/orange-pink/green/dark-green colors), and looks very cool, but that seems to work only in some textures... I can't find why, but (as example), decouplers only take well the normal as high maps (a grey version of the normal). This must be a Unity thing with the normal handling, but I don't know how the difference is established by the game.

Nvidia has a good PS plugin to make normals, If you use gimp try this: https://code.google.com/p/gimp-normalmap/ or http://registry.gimp.org/node/69

Edited by Proot

I'm working now with the normal-normals lol (in the usual blue-base/green/orange-pink/green/dark-green colors), and looks very cool, but that seems to work only in some textures... I can't find why, but (as example), decouplers only take well the normal as high maps (a grey version of the normal). This must be a Unity thing with the normal handling, but I don't know how the difference is established by the game.

Nvidia has a good PS plugin to make normals, If you use gimp try this: https://code.google.com/p/gimp-normalmap/ or http://registry.gimp.org/node/69

It probably depends on which shader a modeller assigned to a mesh. There are e.g. "Diffuse" (no bumpmapping), "Bumped Diffuse" (normal maps) and "Parallax Diffuse" (heightmaps?) shaders in KSP. Similar for "Specular", "VertexLit" etc. If you make heightmaps (i.e. "grey normalmaps") from normal maps so that you subtract 128 from the blue channel, that's wrong.

I know gimp-normalmap. However, it can only create normal maps, not heightmaps. It just takes RGB average as the heightmap.

Edited by shaw

It probably depends on which shader a modeller assigned to a mesh. There are e.g. "Diffuse" (no bumpmapping), "Bumped Diffuse" (normal maps) and "Parallax Diffuse" (heightmaps?) shaders in KSP. Similar for "Specular", "VertexLit" etc. If you make heightmaps (i.e. "grey normalmaps") from normal maps so that you subtract 128 from the blue channel, that's wrong.

I know gimp-normalmap. However, it can only create normal maps, not heightmaps. It just takes RGB average as the heightmap.

KSP actually converts the rg normalmaps to grey-alpha for unity, so when you pull textures, it should be specified that they be pulled as normalmaps when doing a fetch. ie. GameDatabase.Instance.GetTexture("texture", true)

Just curious, is there a way to make the game generate a random head for a kerbal but a specific suit? I've attempted putting both DEFAULT and nothing after the equals sign (followed by the suit folder), but it just generates the stock kerbal head every time.

Do you think it is possible to assign permanent random textures to discovered asteroids?

Here's how I imagine it. When you click on "Track" on the map view, a random asteroid texture is assigned to that asteroid, just like random kerbal head textures. Then it is saved in a .cfg, so next time you load the game, it'll have the same texture.

The problem is that asteroids aren't planets or moons but rocket parts. I don't know if it is possible to refer to different instances of the same part in the plugin, or to even modify part textures with it.

Just curious, is there a way to make the game generate a random head for a kerbal but a specific suit? I've attempted putting both DEFAULT and nothing after the equals sign (followed by the suit folder), but it just generates the stock kerbal head every time.

No, but I've implemented this feature. It will come in 1.4.1.

Do you think it is possible to assign permanent random textures to discovered asteroids?

Here's how I imagine it. When you click on "Track" on the map view, a random asteroid texture is assigned to that asteroid, just like random kerbal head textures. Then it is saved in a .cfg, so next time you load the game, it'll have the same texture.

The problem is that asteroids aren't planets or moons but rocket parts. I don't know if it is possible to refer to different instances of the same part in the plugin, or to even modify part textures with it.

Yes, it would be possible, but quite some work. I'd have to do some research first. And there's a much simpler solution for random texture persistence: it's calculated from Asteroid's name which texture to use. That's how "random" heads and suits work.

So, using this plugin that was linked is it possible to create a normal-map/heightmap of my planet textures to increase the appearance of depth? Or is that not necessary? I know Tingle's Celestial Bodies texture pack had heightmaps that, I believe, were based off of the 16k web maps.

So, using this plugin that was linked is it possible to create a normal-map/heightmap of my planet textures to increase the appearance of depth? Or is that not necessary? I know Tingle's Celestial Bodies texture pack had heightmaps that, I believe, were based off of the 16k web maps.

You mean gimp-normalmap? I don't know if that's a good idea for high-quality normal maps. Those programs generate normal maps just by guessing the heightmap of a texture. gimp-normalmap in particular assumes that the height equals RGB average in each pixel unless you supply a heightmap in the alpha channel. I suggest you extract planet heightmaps/normal maps from KSP_Data/*.assets (you know the texture names; same as replacement textures) and maybe make them a little "sharper".

Any advice to make my visor reflection darker? Not sure which way to tweak the reflection in the config, although I've tried the ones that come with it and the ones that come with the planet texture pack and they both appear darker than mine without needing to tweak anything. This looked the same even after the sun fully set, so it's not that

http://www.blade-edge.com/images/forums/ksp/KSP.exe_DX9_20140406_232047.jpg

map that comes with the plugin - again no changes yet to anything in the cfg:

http://www.blade-edge.com/images/forums/ksp/OenbDE.jpg

Still haven't figured this out. Am I messing with the cfg settings or should I look at doing something to the image maps I'm using?

Is it no longer possible to just create a folder with Kerbal names and have the head and suit choices there? I downloaded the update and none of my custom kerbals are custom anymore, they're all default.

EDIT: I understand the new system now, seems more complicated but I think I get it. The README isn't too easy to follow, specifically where it says not to use an extension with the head picture, at first I thought that mean to take off the .png, which it didn't of course. :P

Edited by Kethevin

Is it no longer possible to just create a folder with Kerbal names and have the head and suit choices there? I downloaded the update and none of my custom kerbals are custom anymore, they're all default.

EDIT: I understand the new system now, seems more complicated but I think I get it. The README isn't too easy to follow, specifically where it says not to use an extension with the head picture, at first I thought that mean to take off the .png, which it didn't of course. :P

Yeah, the new system takes a bit of getting used to, but I think it is a much better way of handling things. Previously you had to have a separate folder for each Custom Kerbal, which increased load times by quite a bit. This way should save both RAM and time!

texture replacer seems to be able to "re-skin" a kerbal, fairly easily really, so could we find a simple way to alter the form that is re-skinned into something slightly more human like?.. after this someone else could apply them an average mass equal to 70kg, 154lbs in the american system, (the average weight of an average adult human) from the 0.03125 "in-game" mass units applied to them? Seeing the great work done to kerbal suits and heads in many TR packs i'm sure someone could create reasonable looking humans in short order if it was requested. Even if they look "cartoony" they would be a step up from huge headed, long limbed, pot-belly kerbals with green skin. Just a thought, i myself lack the ability to attempt this.

Any takers on this??, it would go along way to sprucing up Real Solar System with Realism Overhauls. I'm 99.9% sure someone reading this post has the skill to whip something reasonable up in short order

The question is can the rough body shape be disguised or altered to that of the average fit adult mans body shape. +5 points to the first person to make an identifiable space flight historical figure or George Clooney ;)

Edited by Guest

texture replacer seems to be able to "re-skin" a kerbal, fairly easily really, so could we find a simple way to alter the form that is re-skinned into something slightly more human like?.. after this someone else could apply them an average mass equal to 70kg, 154lbs in the american system, (the average weight of an average adult human) from the 0.03125 "in-game" mass units applied to them? Seeing the great work done to kerbal suits and heads in many TR packs i'm sure someone could create reasonable looking humans in short order if it was requested. Even if they look "cartoony" they would be a step up from huge headed, long limbed, pot-belly kerbals with green skin. Just a thought, i myself lack the ability to attempt this.

Any takers on this??, it would go along way to sprucing up Real Solar System with Realism Overhauls. I'm 99.9% sure someone reading this post has the skill to whip something reasonable up in short order

The question is can the rough body shape be disguised or altered to that of the average fit adult mans body shape. +5 points to the first person to make an identifiable space flight historical figure or George Clooney ;)

Maybe publish that under Add-on Support and Requests? It's a much bigger project to replace entire Kerbals rather than just textures. I haven't yet figured out how that could be done (actually, I haven't really tried yet), even harder would be to make a new model for Kerbals. If all dimensions, collider meshes, node names, animations etc. wouldn't match it would break all sort of things.

v1.4.1 released.

• I've changed reflection textures, they are darker now and include stars from Proot's skybox.
  • `GENERIC` options has been added for `CustomKerbals {}` as requested by CalculusWarrior to assign a specific suit but keep a suit random.
  • Some minor bugs fixed.

At first I thought the random Kerbal heads feature of this mod would assign female faces to Kerbals with masculine names too often, but this proved to not be the case.

I hadn't noticed before, but most Kerbals actually end up with gender-neutral names, and some have names that sound very feminine.

I was pleasantly surprised when I got a female kerbal named Seerie Kerman.

I'm not 100% convinced of this yet, but there may be an off-by-one issue somewhere in the custom head texture assignments. It seems that all of my kerbals are getting the faces of the kerbal immediately before them in the config, except Jeb, who or some reason has decided to be old and grey. They do however report as mapped correctly when you log the mappings at Plugin start.

Edit: Ok, not off-by-one (as it's only an issue with Kerbals without skins assigned), but instead seems to be an issue with what texture it's using as "default" for the skin. Might be a configuration issue on my side.

Edited by Cydonian Monk

I'm not 100% convinced of this yet, but there may be an off-by-one issue somewhere in the custom head texture assignments. It seems that all of my kerbals are getting the faces of the kerbal immediately before them in the config, except Jeb, who or some reason has decided to be old and grey. They do however report as mapped correctly when you log the mappings at Plugin start.

Edit: Ok, not off-by-one (as it's only an issue with Kerbals without skins assigned), but instead seems to be an issue with what texture it's using as "default" for the skin. Might be a configuration issue on my side.

Could you send me information required to reproduce the problem? E.g. try to reproduce it on extended Sylith's heads without any other heads or suits installed and send me your configs.

Could you send me information required to reproduce the problem? E.g. try to reproduce it on extended Sylith's heads without any other heads or suits installed and send me your configs.

I'll try to work out some reproduction steps tonight when I'm home, but it seemed to be related to some fighting between the @Default configuration file and a custom one, and it resolved once I had everything back in the @Default. If I had a kerbal set in the custom config file to use DEFAULT for the head, and had all of the custom heads in the list to be excluded, he would instead use the random head as assigned like I would expect with using GENERIC (assuming that all the heads weren't in the exclusion list) instead of the default Squad head. I'll see if I can get something more exact with examples tonight.

So it seems to happen regardless of which config file I'm using, so I just put everything in the main config and went from there. For the purposes of this bug report I replaced the six head textures I use with primary and secondary colors, to make them stand out more. I have no head textures in any of the "default" locations aside form these six. I tested both with and without the suit textures and got the same results I list below. The textures and related filenames are as follows:

RED - bald.png
ORANGE - baldold.png
YELLOW - fair01.png
GREEN - kerbalHead.png
BLUE - kerbalHead02.png
VIOLET - old01.png

The following are my CustomKerbals and GenericKerbals sections from @Default.cfg. Everything else is the same as the configuration file from the download:

CustomKerbals
{
Jebediah Kerman = DEFAULT VeteranIVA
Bill Kerman = DEFAULT VeteranIVA
Bob Kerman = DEFAULT VeteranIVA

Corwin Kerman = fair01 BlueIVA
Edvis Kerman = DEFAULT BlueIVA
Billy-Bobtrey Kerman = baldold BlueIVA

Orlan Kerman = DEFAULT CrimsonIVA
Roddas Kerman = old01 CrimsonIVA
Samsel Kerman = kerbalHead CrimsonIVA

Adeny Kerman = DEFAULT WhiteIVA
Adler Kerman = DEFAULT WhiteIVA
Loeny Kerman = kerbalHead02 WhiteIVA
}

GenericKerbals
{
excludedHeads = bald baldold fair01 kerbalHead kerbalHead02 old01
excludedSuits = VeteranIVA BlueIVA WhiteIVA CrimsonIVA CanaryIVA KSWIVA
femaleHeads =
femaleSuits =
suitAssignment = random
}

As you can see I have excluded all six of the custom head textures from the Generic list, and I have nothing in the various default directories, so it is my understanding this should force "DEFAULT" kerbals to the stock-KSP head texture.

Instead, I get this (the kerbals are lined up from left to right as they are top to bottom on the list above):

20140409_kspheads.jpg

(I also tried to post the output from the log where you map the heads/suits to Kerbals, but the KSP Forum blows up when I try to post it. Suffice it to say it reports that kerbals are being mapped properly.)

As you can see the head textures that are explicitly assigned to a kerbal are selected properly. Corwin has the "fair" head (yellow), BillyBobTrey has the "bald old" head (orange), Roddas has the "old" (violet), Samsel has the "kerbalHead" (green), while Loeny has the "kerbalHead02" (blue). [if you need me to do this with texture patterns instead of colors to see the difference I would be happy to go and take another screenshot.]

All the rest of the "DEFAULT" kerbals are using a random assortment of heads from the "excludedHeads" list, which to me seems broken. Out of curiosity I removed the "old01" texture from the prohibited list and ran the test again. Same results. I also tested by setting the above "DEFAULT" kerbals to "GENERIC." This produced the results I expected from "DEFAULT" when the "old01" texture was not in the excluded list, but when all heads were excluded it went back to the "pick a random head" logic, which again seems broken.

So, unless I'm mistaken, there is currently no way to force Kerbals to use the stock KSP head texture while using any custom head textures. This was something that worked a couple version back, otherwise I would just write it off as "normal" and not a bug. If all heads are excluded from random assignment, I feel like it should default back to the KSP texture.

Thanks for looking at this, whether it's a bug or just a misunderstanding on my part. ;)

Edit: If you'd like these exact texture files to work from in reproducing I can upload them and post a link.

Would it be possible to include a "Normal" file in the file categories so they all go in one place? Same for planets and parts would be awesome :) It would clean up the filing system and should make it easier to decided where to put textures.

Would it be possible to include a "Normal" file in the file categories so they all go in one place? Same for planets and parts would be awesome :) It would clean up the filing system and should make it easier to decided where to put textures.

Sorry, I don't understand what you want to say. What "Normal" files? What categories?