Just what is the community to SQUAD?

Stargate525

I just watched it. And I have to agree with Sandworm: what's coming out of HarvestR's mouth doesn't make a lot of sense.

• He says the future purpose of resources is fixing stuff in-flight apollo 13 style :huh: (Yes, that's what he said)...
  • I thought it was clear they didn't want random failures/damage, which was what happened in Apollo 13.
  • In-flight repair IS NOT the "cool part" of resources.
  • He complains about unrealistic expectations from the community due to poor communication, but only addressed resources at the end of the kon when tons of people are asking about it?
  • And if he's so upset with that chart, why did they release it to the press before they had worked out the problems. That's nuts!

Seriously, Felipe started Kerbal-Kon's first event, in which he was supposed to talk about 0.23's implemented features, by showing up without a list of 0.23's implemented features and ends it with this nonsense? I'm really losing faith in SQUAD's ability to get the project off the ground.

I guess the plus side of this is that he said resources aren't permanently canceled, but really back to the drawing board. I wish I could have seen this earlier.

I really want to believe something else is going on, like harvester not being the one making the important decisions. This is reinforced by he going really sad by the end of that video.

I just watched it. And I have to agree with Sandworm: what's coming out of HarvestR's mouth doesn't make a lot of sense.

• He says the future purpose of resources is fixing stuff in-flight apollo 13 style :huh: (Yes, that's what he said)...
  • I thought it was clear they didn't want random failures/damage, which was what happened in Apollo 13.
  • In-flight repair IS NOT the "cool part" of resources.
  • He complains about unrealistic expectations from the community due to poor communication, but only addressed resources at the end of the kon when tons of people are asking about it?
  • And if he's so upset with that chart, why did they release it to the press before they had worked out the problems. That's nuts!

Seriously, Felipe started Kerbal-Kon's first event, in which he was supposed to talk about 0.23's implemented features, by showing up without a list of 0.23's implemented features and ends it with this nonsense? I'm really losing faith in SQUAD's ability to get the project off the ground.

I guess the plus side of this is that he said resources aren't permanently canceled, but really back to the drawing board. I wish I could have seen this earlier.

You are making personal statements against Harvester again. And assuming other things. (You too PDCWolf)

You should just relax and let your emotions cool, and wait for further updates rather than make inflammatory statements about developers or try to read tea-leaves to see what they really meant. It is not your place to do so, and you are NOT HELPING ANYTHING.

thorfinn: That is a valid opinion to have, and I accept you feel that way. Know that I disagree strongly and I do not think I am alone in doing so. Its not what I would want most of all either, but its the most requested thing ever, by many orders of magnitudes.

Edited by Tiberion

I started playing KSP just before 0.18 was released. I remember the hype about Resources (I'm pretty sure I didn't just dream it, guys). There were charts. There were parts. There were images of scanning. There were mentions in videos. There were discussions. It was coming. And I was eager for it, because resources would give you more to do on the planets/moons than plant flags, and having exploitable resources would enable you to do more complex projects on planets/moons. It is the single feature that could do the most for improving the long-term viability of the game.

I remember the disappointment when it did not show up in 0.19. But we were told to be patient. It was coming. Cooking on the back burner. Mmmm, slow-cooked resources done right.

So I was patient. Sure, each time a new versions was to be released, I was hopeful for resources (and often said so in a polite way), but I remained patient.

SO NOW, people are saying that players really haven't been asking for resources (that sound was my jaw hitting the floor). And the group that kept screaming for multi-player (despite being told it was NOT going to happen so shut up about it) are the ones who got catered to.

This is what behaving and being patient gets you.

I started playing KSP just before 0.18 was released. I remember the hype about Resources (I'm pretty sure I didn't just dream it, guys). There were charts. There were parts. There were images of scanning. There were mentions in videos. There were discussions. It was coming. And I was eager for it, because resources would give you more to do on the planets/moons than plant flags, and having exploitable resources would enable you to do more complex projects on planets/moons. It is the single feature that could do the most for improving the long-term viability of the game.

I remember the disappointment when it did not show up in 0.19. But we were told to be patient. It was coming. Cooking on the back burner. Mmmm, slow-cooked resources done right.

So I was patient. Sure, each time a new versions was to be released, I was hopeful for resources (and often said so in a polite way), but I remained patient.

SO NOW, people are saying that players really haven't been asking for resources (that sound was my jaw hitting the floor). And the group that kept screaming for multi-player (despite being told it was NOT going to happen so shut up about it) are the ones who got catered to.

If you started playing at .18 and are disappointed with how the game/development is turning out you can guess how disappointed I am...

And right here is the "betrayal" angle I was talking about that is affecting so many of us right now, summed up nicely. I personally have gotten over it at this point, but I know that there are still a lot of us who were around before KSP was such a huge rising star that are not so quick to do so. Expressing our disappointment and explaining why is fine, and I feel we should do so. But we need not be offensive about it or attack anyone in the process. We have at best half the story. We need to make ourselves heard, but that doesn't give any of us the right to be offensive and rude about it. To everyone who has taken the high road in expressing themselves these last few days on the subject by keeping objective and not pointing fingers: thank you.

Well, I was playing for a good while before that, and I recall that resources/mining/etc came pretty much out of the blue, many of us were surprised because there was so much of the game left to do, especially (dun dun dun) all of the career mode, progression stuff, which hadn't even been started.

There was a LOT of drama around it., and the number of people asking for "stock kethane" certainly were not too numerous.

And I am sorry that you kept waiting for it to come out, but in the leadup to 0.20 Harv said that the feature was being postponed until a future update because they needed to change priorities. I linked it earlier, but here it is again:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/content/164-KSP-0-21-Update-News

I wouldn't have been expecting is every update, they would have made a fairly big deal out of it, especially since it would have meant stopping work in the middle of career mode to work on it.

Nothing has really changed except the new statement during closing ceremonies that they're going to redesign what the system will be. Since all we ever really saw was a design and a few art assets, this can't be very shocking news. It is still 'postponed' until it makes sense on their update schedule, which is not something we are privy to. They will definitely announce it when its a "thing" again.

Ever since you first posted on the forums about blowing up randomly in outer space (Yes I remember that because I was very skeptical of you xD) I've respected your views and comments. I'm so sorry to hear that it has disappointed you so much. If you haven't already, I suggest you look at the link Stupid_Chris posted; it shows it directly from the horse's mouth.

Resources was a planned thing. Multiplayer was a do it after it is completed type of thing. It seems that priorities changed way before we heard the announcement. In fact, I have an inkling that it was probably thought of some time during April/May, at least I have felt that was the case. Still, I can see how it is very disappointing to many members of the community.

I don't think it SQUAD has been ignoring the community however. In fact, if KerbalKon is any indication, they are listening. They do care. I just think they new the change of plans would be such a huge disappointed that maybe they hesitated a bit. If you look at Harv announcing it you can definitely tell he was nervous to mention it.

You are making personal statements against Harvester again. And assuming other things. (You too PDCWolf)

I'm making comments about how he's presenting himself and his project in a professional setting. And what I'm saying is based on facts from recorded media.

It's not personal, it's simply statement of fact, and my interpretation of facts. You're welcome to disagree, but unless you actually present some counter-points, you're just saying "nuh-uh! stop it" and its not worth my time.

I sort of look at this from a different direction. SQUAD thought that multiplayer was impossible- and now, someone proved to them that in fact, using the relatively unmodified engine and codebase already there, that it IS possible.

I'll bet you that they are just excited. It's a challenge, with possibly very large rewards. For a software engineer, that's irresistible. I really don't know how they plan to get that to work intuitively or effectively, and I imagine they recently had the sort of 'Oh, maybe we CAN do this' feeling.

Looking at that resource chart, on the other hand, I find myself shuddering slightly. It would be a MASSIVE amount of coding, and not the fun kind either. Lots of annoying UI stuff, tons of fine tuning balance problems, more part configs, models, etc. Nothing really revolutionary, or really anything new.

Moreover, kethane already solved the real implementation issues with resources very well. The scanning, mapping, and resource distribution are the big ones. After that, its just a matter of part configs and coordinate lookups. If you wanted, you could use the kethane API to make that entire resource chart pretty easily, I think. All that would be missing are models for various drills and refineries. (I am not trying to bash kethane at all, or saying that it was trivial to do. I'm just saying that expanding it into a larger resource system is trivial, given what it has already accomplished.)

Anyway, I think that they changed their mind. And I think they KNEW people would be unhappy, and of course they don't want to intentionally cause unhappiness. So, they must have some reason to do so. I imagine its probably because multiplayer, if it is going to be implemented well, really has to be in the core game. Kethane, on the other hand, proves that resources can be done perfectly well through mods.

The fact that it looks like harv expected this reaction from the community is a little sad, actually.

Edited by StevenRS11

Looking at that resource chart, on the other hand, I find myself shuddering slightly. It would be a MASSIVE amount of coding, and not the fun kind either. Lots of annoying UI stuff, tons of fine tuning balance problems, more part configs, models, etc. Nothing really revolutionary, or really anything new.

You're kinda implying that Multiplayer would be 'bigger' or 'newer' than resource gathering.

While I agree that there are about 900 million resource harvesting games out there, and I don't need my space sim to be another of them, I can't say that Multi-player is exactly ground-breaking at this point in the evolution of computer gaming.

-- Sorry I keep saying out out of this discussion and then returning, its really a compelling topic when discussed properly. I just get frustrated when it starts going all wonky...

I bought this game in 0.13.2, my first paid version being... well the first ever paid version, 0.14 X1, so I've been here for some time. Squad directly says in their terms that, quote:

"Squad reserves the right to add, remove and modify content on any of its software at their own discretion, without prior notice."

Directly saying that any feature, function, plan, idea, or anything withing KSP could be changed at notice.

Now sure, I would of liked resources, who wouldn't of, and I wasn't exactly super excited about multiplayer, but I can accept that Squad decided to change plans a bit.

Now KSP features are much better than say, Minecraft features, since anyone on the forums who can back up their opinion on a feature can go to the suggestion forums and say, this should be added because balhalblhah.

While in Minecraft, features seem to be directly the result of the developers choices.

Think about it, if Squad decided not to let this game be out until 1.0, we wouldn't be here arguing about a planned feature, we wouldn't even have this, already amazing game.

Another quote:

"Squad is under no obligation to implement any given set of features prior to the final release for KSP or any future title. All posted lists of planned features are unofficial and do not imply a promise by Squad to deliver anything listed in them."

Meaning that choices are made by Squad on what to implement, sure they can be swayed and suggested by us, but the final verdict is with them.

Now they never PROMISED us resources, because if they did, we would just be back at the "Late Release Date" incident.

Say you were told you MIGHT get a cherry on top of your birthday cake, but it doesn't happen.

Would you get angry?

The point I'm trying to get here, is Squad, the developers, have given these terms of service, and Squad, the developers, have full power over choice of features, or anything regarding their content.

If we were PROMISED resources in 0.19, there may of been a reason to question what they we are doing, but when you check that "Terms Of Service" box on installation, (not sure if KSP has that) you are fully agreeing to what is said in the terms of service. (Terms Of Service)

Squad has said nothing in this game is final, and no decision is final.

We agreed to these terms when we bought this game, so we need to embrace the fact that Squad cannot give us what they might of said will be coming soon, and realize stuff changes.

And why not wait a couple of months or years for resources?

In my mind, the longer you wait for something, the more time you can plan, the more time you can think, and the more people can help you think.

So in my eyes, if resources were added in a year, then it would be much better than resources added now.

-End Opinion-

Edited by Cooly568
OCD

And we will be. As I said, SQUAD is not ignorant of our outcry. They know of the upset; how can they not? They know we are key to their success, that we are the source of much of the growth of the game's popularity by proxy of how we spread the word about it to the outside world. We must be patient. If nothing else, we must accept that we won't get acknowledgement before Monday, as SQUAD closes their office for the weekend. After all of the stress of KerbalKon and all of the technical problems that came up, I can't blame them for not wanting to tackle this storm we've brewed up on their off time.

Boom. This post right here. I got in from Mexico last night. Been sick as a dog since the end of the trip and I come back to read what's going on here. Yikes. It's not fun. Not fun for anyone. Listen, I plan on on grabbing some people and asking *them* for certain things that *you* would like to have clarified. Unfortunately, that will have to come on Monday when everyone will be back at 100%. The best I can do for you is to try to clear up any confusion that may exist during the course of the week. All I ask is that at least for a while, please just chill out a bit. Dissenting opinions are fine, but name calling, ill wishes and threats to any member of this board will not be tolerated.

Arguments like these have never ended in anything good and ends up in an endless loop until they ultimately gets locked. I've always felt uncomfortable reading this and I honestly think that these "wars" are ruining the community. I think that threads Like this should be done in the Space Lounge, where most forum members, including myself, feel demotived whenever they go on the forums.

You're kinda implying that Multiplayer would be 'bigger' or 'newer' than resource gathering.

While I agree that there are about 900 million resource harvesting games out there, and I don't need my space sim to be another of them, I can't say that Multi-player is exactly ground-breaking at this point in the evolution of computer gaming.

-- Sorry I keep saying out out of this discussion and then returning, its really a compelling topic when discussed properly. I just get frustrated when it starts going all wonky...

Im not implying it- I am trying to claim that quite explicitly. For computer gaming in general, resource gathering was like, the first thing developed after moving around. Think of all the text roguelikes... Find the rope, find the bucket, make the pulley. Multiplayer is definitely "newer" in that regard, even more so for KSP.

And honestly, I find all this ranting rather encouraging, to some degree. It means people care deeply about things. If this was silent, and no body cared enough to post their opinion, much less essays on the justifications of changing the direction of development, then it would be a sad place.

Im not implying it- I am trying to claim that quite explicitly. For computer gaming in general, resource gathering was like, the first thing developed after moving around. Think of all the text roguelikes... Find the rope, find the bucket, make the pulley. Multiplayer is definitely "newer" in that regard, even more so for KSP.

And honestly, I find all this ranting rather encouraging, to some degree. It means people care deeply about things. If this was silent, and no body cared enough to post their opinion, much less essays on the justifications of changing the direction of development, then it would be a sad place.

Fair enough.

I don't personally think that resource gathering, or multiplay are the right choice. I honestly think the next logical step for KSP after Science is fully fleshed out is to look at economy. Granted economy could and likely would eventually include resources, I think it is important to remember that KSP is a space flight sim first. Its not StarCraft (Resource building) and it is not 'The Sims'.... It is a space flight game at its deep core. And I think if you lose sight of that you risk diluting it into being another one of the "also rans" of the multi-play world (and there are about 50,000 multiplayer fails). KSP should build on its uniqueness, and not try to be another one of the 'same'.

No lie though, this thread makes me think a lot of people don't remember what KSP is about..

KSP is not about multiplay, and it is not about resources... Its about this...

uCPY0ho.png?1

and as soon as you forget that it is about that --- Your soul dies a little, and so does KSP.

Didn't bother to read the whole thread, from the OP it looks like the usual "Users should have a say in development" thing.

I'll say we're mainly bugtesters, but hey, we can provide opinions on things like "This UI isn't particularly user friendly when you are trying to [insert action here]" or "Perhaps a different method to dealing with [insert issue here] like [insert solution]", ya know? We do not have much of a say in the development, but we can point out things the devs may have missed, or just provide opinions from the PoV of a user.

The game is still in it's early stages, let the devs slowly implement features, they not only have to code new features, they have to test them for bugs, check the values for balance, check whether it breaks other stuff, etc. Besides, there's Kerbalkon, which is quite a big event, it'll be quite stressful for them.

It's good to know that SQUAD had planned Resources out nicely and showed the chart to us, but we'll have to be understanding, the chart may look simple, but it could be hundreds and possibly thousands of lines of code. They most probably realised they can't finish it by 0.23 release, and decided another feature should be able to take it's place, for now. Haven't been keeping myself updated with the latest news, I presume multiplayer replaced resources?

It's like buying food, you want good food? Let the cook do his job properly and don't rush him, if he thinks that what you ordered needs some time to be done, then you wait.

This might be a little harsh, but to quote SerB from Wargaming, "Don't like it? Don't play."

It's like buying food, you want good food? Let the cook do his job properly and don't rush him, if he thinks that what you ordered needs some time to be done, then you wait.

In this case it's like the chef is cooking the food a quarter of the way, stopping, setting it out on the counter, and saying "Hey, let's do something completely different!" and then doing that halfway and repeating the process.

The KSP devs weren't always like this, long ago before 0.19 they actually gave us completed features and stuck with their original plan.

No lie though, this thread makes me think a lot of people don't remember what KSP is about..

KSP is not about multiplay, and it is not about resources... Its about this...

uCPY0ho.png?1

and as soon as you forget that it is about that --- Your soul dies a little, and so does KSP.

That image just makes me so happy. Looking at it reminds me of all my missions to other worlds, whether successful or not, but they were all so much fun. And that is the reason I love this game so much. It is just amazing to run around on other worlds, to explore new horizons, and generally have fun.

I showed my friend KSP the other day, and he's not into rockets and space much, and gave me a blank stare when I discussed orbital mechanics, but his favourite thing to do was run the kerbals around on the surface of the Mun. And they're such great little characters; the way they scream and/or smile at the camera.

Scott Manley said this in one of his videos, that Squad could simply polish the game up a bit and release it as-is, and I totally agree with him. KSP has given me such enjoyment, and is so fun to play, that it doesn't really need all the extra features of multiplayer or resources. I will always find something to do, whether it is build a reusable spacecraft system, explore the north pole of Eeloo, or just muck around the KSC (I love driving around the R&D centre).

Each update will only add to this experience as well. You should never be forced to play multiplayer, and can continue build your own rockets. It is nice to know that eventually I could load up KSP and build a Munbase with my friends (if I ever convert them, that is), or mine for resources on distant worlds, but its not crucial to my experience.

If I was to analyze my play experience right now, outside the game, I would say that there's nothing to do on planets, you go there, plant a flag, then come home. But when I land on a distant moon in game, I am absolutely entranced. That feeling of travelling enormous distances and discovering an entire planet (I still can't get over how amazing having an entire planet to roam over is) all of your own doing (and a little help from physics) is absolutely fantastic.

Point is, while I would appreciate more features added to the game, the way it is right now is just fine, thank you very much, and I agree fully with Kurtvw: we mustn't forget about what really attracted us to the game. KSP will never be focused fully on resources, or multiplayer, but it is an exploration game at its heart, and I love it for that.

I really dislike these kind of threads. I consider myself one of those silent majority people. I don't really post much but come to the forums everyday. As you can see my join date is back in the early days, so its been a couple years and i only have like a hundred something posts. Ive seen these little movements happen in KSP and they don't really go over well. The message i think is clear but the way people seem to come across baffles me. I think these things are the cause of Squads PR changes over the last couple years. It cannot be a good thing to have all this negativity when you want something done. Reading this and if I were a dev i would be insulted.

The tone and many of these posts really goes against what Squad has actually done. Calling the community just bugtesters and saying the community doesn't matter to them blah blah. What logic is this? Squad is excellent to this community and continues to be. Its really frustrating watching these threads go off on tangents while you know it only hurts our chances in the future to get tidbits of info from them. I know for a fact the tone throughout this thread is not helpful for anyone. If a Dev actually started reading this they would probably just stop after seeing some of these absurd comments. I think its why devs lock themselves in castle towers for weeks and just focus. Which sucks because their are some users on here that love reading the goings of the devs but cant get that much from them anymore because some other people have the tendency to get get all bent up when something doesn't go as planned. This is literally all the nature of the beast when making a game. Not everything will go how it was planned. That shouldn't surprise anyone... (To me, these threads are the Bane of my existence on the forums. Its very frustrating to come here to see the awesome plans and the inner workings of this game only to have that reason slowly go away because of a couple fellas that didn't have the patience to see how it works out before throwing people under the bus. This I think is the very reason Squad is different then it was. It has to be the reason.... I dont think i could quite take a beating like this thread has thrown and not try to change my interactions in the future so it doesn't happen. Cause and effect. Without this cause i think we would literally still be reading harvesters daily updates. He use to write what he was up to everyday such as when the kerbals started walking (the eva system) and what not, but that ship has long sailed. ARG!!!! He cant do that, because of this. Right. Here. :mad: (Second proof read rant added))

This thread has so much negativity at Squad. Squad pampers us. Maxmaps gives us daily news on whats happening, heck we get full notes from each dev on what they did that week... We have KSP TV and squad cast Fridays and so much more. What is the issue? All this is literally coming after KerbalKon which they gave us like 48 hours of constant streaming with so much interaction with devs. No game that i know of has this type of development interaction in the world. That is why I have been sticking with it. Its like a full on experience. Whats more if the community members don't like something in the game (or lack their of) then Squad has given us other outs by the ability to heavily mod the game. Each update they usually throw many things in for the modders. It is seriously possible to add this resource system that everyone is complaining about. I think all of the fellas making such a fuss need to relax. Lets get a grip and look at the situation (Situation being listed at the top of this paragraph).

On top of all this, the major complaint i think im taking away from this thread is the gripes about resources. Have the complainers actually watched the video? I saw it and my take from it was this:

They began exploring the resources system.

They got so far on it that they sent a screenshot of it during a squadcast.

Somewhere along the line it became clear that the system being developed (in its current form) was not what the dev team desired.

Since the dev team didnt like the resource system (in its current form) they put it on back burner.

Other priorities are being implemented before they come back to the resource system.

Resource system will be something different then before likely easier and better thought out.

Now to me, i dont see what is wrong with what they did. They started making the system and didn't like it. Clearly they arent going to release what was...because it was not what they liked. To me it seems like the complainers are seeing the above like squad is just flat out dropping resources which was not what was said. And if they dont think that then they are upset over the fact that they liked what the screenshot contained and are upset that it wont be included like it was but stock. And if you saw the screenshot they released in 0.19, i dont see what is stopping a modder from putting it in. Squad clearly didn't like the system so they arnt going to make that stock.

I think a lot of this energy would be better served if the people would get together and make a mod instead of flat out insulting the developers of the game for not doing something they already did but didn't like (If that makes sense). At the very least i would hope my post brings some perspective to people. Its not all lost for a resource system and i guarantee the devs are thinking of better stuff more to their liking.

Sorry about grammar and whatnot, i wrote this with one eye open as its 5 hours past the time I usually sleep.

Tl/DR: Clearly Squad loves it community, relax, the devs will come back and put in a resource like system in which they enjoy.

I am probably just a small % of the community, (baby boomer), but I think Squad is doing a great job at developing this game! At ease ! Chill ! Why so serious ? Yeah, I started with Lincoln Logs, Kenner Erector Sets, and then KSP ! I think it's the best thing since sliced bread ! Why would anyone want to bring this down ?

I guess I'll jump in on this. The negativity from some people that I've seen in this thread is frankly disgusting! Kudos to the rest of the community that "get it".

KSP is a pre-release, early access, unfinished, extremely cool game. Squad have always been perfectly clear that it's far from finished, and that the features list constantly evolving over time (which goes both ways, features added, features changed, others delayed or even removed). There is absolutely no dishonesty, misleading, unethical, or any other sort of bad behaviour coming from them over features.

Squad quite clearly do value and listen to the community, but that's the community as a whole, not individual community members trying to dictate what they are going to work on next. Resources might seem like the most important next feature to you, but you are not the community, and you don't actually know how difficult it would be for them to implement resources right now, or even exactly what their long term plans for resources are. The KSP development team is TINY, yet some community members seem to expect them to produce features at the rate of a vastly bigger team. All that we know for sure is that we're probably not going to get resource mining in the next couple of releases, but that further into the future is yet to be fully defined. Developing with a small team makes it essential to focus efforts in relatively narrow areas, and that frequently means that some things need to wait until the future.

Frankly, I'm happy for Squad to focus on getting career mode fleshed out, boosting performance significantly, and generally squashing bugs. They appear to have a pretty damned good set of immediate priorities for KSP, things which matter, things which make KSP better for everyone. Once the current priorities are sorted out, they will move on to the next set of features, and that could easily bring resource mining back to the table. Until then, quit moaning and quit being negative, it's a horrible waste of energy that serves little to no purpose.

KSP 0.23 could be a complete product with just a small amount of polish. It would represent good value for money. For those of us that have bought in early, we've pretty much all had our money's worth out of KSP already, and each new release is just a lovely bonus.

So, well done, Squad, you're doing a fantastic job with KSP, I'm an extremely happy customer, and I don't see any signs of you doing the wrong thing, or becoming the evil corporate empire. And, shame on those of you who are being outright nasty to Squad, it's uncalled for, unproductive, and just wrong. You were never promised or guaranteed any specific timescale for resource mining and processing, and I don't think that it was ever even guaranteed as a future feature, just something that was being considered (and probably still is).

heck we get full notes from each dev on what they did that week... .....

No game that i know of has this type of development interaction in the world.

Surely to squad, we are the fanclub.

A fan club who they like to watch, give news to, and collect ideas from.