InfiniteDice -=Skillful=- Combat Damage & Weapons Mod

InfiniteDice

Hey, I've been playing Skillful and loving every bit of it. I've spotted two bugs, came up with a suggestion, and coded out a submission for your consideration. Snjo said I should post them here, so....well here they are XD

First, the bugs. Transferring ammunition into a turret that isn't in transfer mode eats it. Instead of being returned to the ammo crate, it just blinks out of existence. Also, the CWIS turret "jumps" off its mounts when you try manually aiming and firing with it. I've also encountered the jumping when I set up an anti-air test using the IFF tags and a plane. The final bug is that objects attached to the top of the tank turret or the barrel of the cannon fail to move when it does. They just hover in place.

Hi, Thanks for the post.

The ammo one I was aware of, one of those things that I just haven't had the time to squash!

The CIWS 'shouldn't' be manually aiming. You simply double click a target and it will rotate to the target. I'll be looking into this if you're saying it's moving when pressing keys! :)

One issue with jumping might be the code for KSP connection strengths was changed. The connection strength on the turret is probably now too high, also the turret since it holds so many rounds is very heavy - a common issue is that if mounted to a part that has less than 1/10 it's own mass.. it gets 'attached like a wet noodle' syndrome. I think I may have made a mistake by connecting it to a stock KSP panel. Try a redesign with the breakingForce = 200 and the breakingTorque = 200 - attach it to a heavy part and see if it still behaves strange. Could also be that it attaches in a clipped position. I intended it to clip in a bit on the surface attach. Making a bottom stack attach point and using that might make for an improvement.

Yes... Nothing on the turret will move. Unfortunate but that is really a mod in itself in the form of DR or IR (robotics). I simply didn't have the time to see how they managed to do it and implement my own code. I suggest slapping an IR rotatable of the correct size under the turret. It then supports adding items to it as it should! :)

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look at your node placement for the vehicle tub, as you assumed it's one of the parts that was a placeholder - that was never finished, it's mostly covered in many applications so I cut a corner with that one.

Tanya: I'll surely talk to you about ideas. Toss me a pm.

Another note:

I've managed to hurt my back in a minor way... nothing permanent. It makes sitting for more than 30 minutes uncomfortable so I'll likely be taking it easy on modding for the next few weeks. So I don't want to see things like ID hasn't posted in three days! What will happen to his mods! :) I'm slowly working on BoatParts to get it working and rebalanced. Re-balancing all the parts and re-building all the crafts and then testing them is time consuming. Be assured it will be updated on spaceport soon and I'll make note of the update in the BoatParts thread.

Later guys!

Difficult for whom? Because 'proper game mechanics' don't just appear with a bit of wishful thinking. Additionally that is a pretty subjective way of putting things. InfiniteDice has proper game mechanics for what he originally set out to do. If someone else isn't satisfied it doesn't change his goals. God forbid a player actually contribute any effort to achieve the gameplay they want.

As for actual games.... people sell those. It's one thing to moan endlessly to developers about a game you've purchased; it's another to keep demanding major changes to a mod that's been made in someone's free time.

I wasn't talking about this mod, I was talking in general terms. Obviously adding AI opponents would involve a lot of work, if it's even doable within the scope of a mod.

I wasn't talking about this mod, I was talking in general terms. Obviously adding AI opponents would involve a lot of work, if it's even doable within the scope of a mod.

Mods are more than capable of implementing AI baddies. I don't see any issues stopping it. Many mods just do not have the scope to need it. Skillful is one of those mods that could make use of it and indeed I've pondered it in the past. However I'm only one person, so my idea was more of a very basic target practice AI. Have aircraft fly in to attack the KSC for example, with different modes:

The catch is... these wouldn't be KSP vessels made of parts, just gameobjects that would register a hit and fall apart. And they likely wouldn't dogfight, just perhaps launch a few missiles or drop some bombs.

In any case I'd love to do it... just a matter of the investment in time.

I'm having an issue, the weapons are loading in properly, but not firing. For example I will fire a swarm missile pod, and they will shoot out of the end and then float there with no engines. Any tips?

i had that problem and i just re-downloaded the mod and it fixed it

@ID

I'm stuck at a friend's house until roughly Wednesday (give or take a day) so I'm not able to work on things, but when I get back I'll do some bug hunting on the CIWS for you and see if I can't come up with good node lists for it and the other parts.

Actually, on that note, I noticed your boat parts mod has nodes mis-oriented. They tessellate to each other just fine due to the orientation faults cancelling one another out, but suffer 90 degree offsets when connected to stock parts or parts from other mods. This made hybridizing an R3/B9Aerospace ship very difficult. Additionally, they don't appear to have symmetry logic handled, as using the nodes defaults to non-symmetry mode. I haven't looked into the configs on those yet, but I see no reason why I couldn't mill my way through your boats mod and fix the nodes. It would definitely make large ship building easier for people if mirroring could be enabled.

@ID

I'm stuck at a friend's house until roughly Wednesday (give or take a day) so I'm not able to work on things, but when I get back I'll do some bug hunting on the CIWS for you and see if I can't come up with good node lists for it and the other parts.

Actually, on that note, I noticed your boat parts mod has nodes mis-oriented. They tessellate to each other just fine due to the orientation faults cancelling one another out, but suffer 90 degree offsets when connected to stock parts or parts from other mods. This made hybridizing an R3/B9Aerospace ship very difficult. Additionally, they don't appear to have symmetry logic handled, as using the nodes defaults to non-symmetry mode. I haven't looked into the configs on those yet, but I see no reason why I couldn't mill my way through your boats mod and fix the nodes. It would definitely make large ship building easier for people if mirroring could be enabled.

Yay, someone finally said something! I noticed some of the base parts were being moved down/backwards by one node and I had no clue what was wrong.

Mods are more than capable of implementing AI baddies. I don't see any issues stopping it. Many mods just do not have the scope to need it. Skillful is one of those mods that could make use of it and indeed I've pondered it in the past. However I'm only one person, so my idea was more of a very basic target practice AI. Have aircraft fly in to attack the KSC for example, with different modes:

The catch is... these wouldn't be KSP vessels made of parts, just gameobjects that would register a hit and fall apart. And they likely wouldn't dogfight, just perhaps launch a few missiles or drop some bombs.

Why not very simple vessels? I feel like you could pretty easily avoid having a command-able vessel while still behaving properly.

IIRC, and this was at least a year and a half ago or more, Harv said in a Blog post he envisioned the end of the game being kicking back and watching your space empire run itself which in turn implies your kerbals being able to fly, drive, and crash all by them selves. Not sure if that is still the plan but that frame work could play wonders in the area of npc combat vehicles and bases. But even more so it implies with this mod and territory control, KSP could be the ultimate 4x type RTS multiplayer experience. Hopefully with more cooperative science and industry but there has to be a way to blow things up beyond kinetic kill vehicles.

MECHJEB, HOLY MOTHER OF INSPIRATION, MECHJEB!

I know MechJeb continues giving commands to a vessel you've left because I've played around with self-stabilizing platforms using the Translatron utility with kill H/S enabled. (I wanted to be Mario on the Mun)

Mechjeb also used to have the "Autom8" feature which allowed you to script multiple autopilot commands with situation detection and such. I remember once watching with delight as I managed to fully automate a moon landing (I used somebody else's script, but I built the ship myself)

Mechjeb2 has the spaceplane guidance with handlers for pitch and roll stabilization and such, and the ability to hold specific headings. I know mechjeb can handle coordinate detection because the landing autopilot can use GPS coordinates, so just use the same system real-world drones use; GPS waypoints!

it would be as simple as a tool that plugs into the old Autom8 scripting language, which has got to be buried in the files somewhere, and then giving it the instructions (I'm using faux scripting here for the purpose of demonstration)

find great circle bearing to waypoint > align to heading > when vessel coordinate = waypoint coordinate {margin of error +-100m} change waypoint to X

X = coordinate next on the list

Using a system like that, so long as the vessels remained in the load distance (which you've already found ways to tweak) they would be able to fly themselves while remaining fully rendered and responsive.

I'm a have my cake and eat it too kind of girl :3

Yeah and it's an old one. I'm well aware of it but for some silly reason there was a reason I did this (I think) many boat parts are not symmetrical so I never bothered with it. I can pass you a part... if you want to play with nodes. Here is a taste:

// --- ****Lower Ring****

// --- All the Left/Right

// --- Center

node_stack_right = 4.5, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3

node_stack_left = -4.5, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3

// ---Forward

node_stack_right = 4.5, 0.0, -3.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3

node_stack_left = -4.5, 0.0, -3.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3

// ---Backward

node_stack_right = 4.5, 0.0, 3.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3

node_stack_left = -4.5, 0.0, 3.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3

// --- All the Front/Back Nodes

// --- Center

node_stack_back = 0.0, 0.0, 4.5, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3

node_stack_front = 0.0, 0.0, -4.5, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3

// --- Left

node_stack_back = -3.0, 0.0, 4.5, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3

node_stack_front = -3.0, 0.0, -4.5, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3

// --- Right

node_stack_back = 3.0, 0.0, 4.5, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3

node_stack_front = 3.0, 0.0, -4.5, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3

// --- ****Upper Ring ****

// --- All the Left/Right

// --- Center

node_stack_right = 4.5, 6.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3

node_stack_left = -4.5, 6.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3

// ---Forward

node_stack_right = 4.5, 6.0, -3.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3

node_stack_left = -4.5, 6.0, -3.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3

// ---Backward

node_stack_right = 4.5, 6.0, 3.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3

node_stack_left = -4.5, 6.0, 3.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3

// --- All the Front/Back Nodes

// --- Center

node_stack_back = 0.0, 6.0, 4.5, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3

node_stack_front = 0.0, 6.0, -4.5, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3

// --- Left

node_stack_back = -3.0, 6.0, 4.5, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3

node_stack_front = -3.0, 6.0, -4.5, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3

// --- Right

node_stack_back = 3.0, 6.0, 4.5, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3

node_stack_front = 3.0, 6.0, -4.5, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3

That is the original R2 carrier center lift.

What does that final suffixual number mean? The one you have set to "3" on each of them? I can only assume it's an optional flag as I never use it and nothing bad happens.

Simply sets the node connection ball (draw) size. This doesn't have an impact on the strength but signifies what nodes should connect to one another. Because connected parts misbehave if connected to another part that is less than something like 1/10th it's mass. (not sure if this holds true for 0.23.5) The result used to be the wet-noodle connection where the parts would slip and slide on one another excessively. I think squad used those node sizes originally to say.. this part is large connect it to another large part.

Why not very simple vessels? I feel like you could pretty easily avoid having a command-able vessel while still behaving properly.

The problem is the vessel code itself is restrictive, you'd essentially need to write code to interact with the stock module and maintain all it's needs, which is a whole mod in itself as mentioned, autopilot/mechjeb type of interaction. If mechjeb can autopilot in-atmosphere (when you are not in control of the vessel) then this would be ideal. But I don't think it can - or ever will.

The problem is the vessel code itself is restrictive, you'd essentially need to write code to interact with the stock module and maintain all it's needs, which is a whole mod in itself as mentioned, autopilot/mechjeb type of interaction. If mechjeb can autopilot in-atmosphere (when you are not in control of the vessel) then this would be ideal. But I don't think it can - or ever will.

Hey dice do you have plans to bridge the considerable gap between the trident and Zypher missiles?

The rest oft he mod seems pretty balanced but switching from a light Air to Ground missile (a hellfire) to an SLBM seems a little drastic

What about a Patriot missile or maybe a sparrow?

Squad added the ability for SAS commands to remain running in non-controlled vehicles when they added docking.

As far as MechJeb taking advantage of that, it can and does and I have done it. Aside from auto-launch and auto-land systems, MechJeb is also capable of spaceplane guidance in-atmo, altitude holds, position holds, and a number of other, lesser functions which interact directly with the atmosphere. Of key note is the landing autopilot's aerobraking node and atmospheric drag projection system. Unless it could directly interact with the atmosphere of a planet, such systems would be impossible.

The main missing piece is, as I said, the old Autom8 utility. I don't know where it went or why they removed it, but assuming such a component is still in the coding somewhere, this is entirely possible.

With the utility employed, the only remaining aspect would be the physics load distance, which can be overridden in a number of ways, so take your pick.

Hey dice is there any way I can modify the point at which parts die from overheating?

Using Skillfull and Deadly Reentry causes parts to overheat quickly and then die at only a portion of the way overheated.

The overheating point for parts should (in my opinion) represent the threshold for damage to the part not the point of explosion.

Having an engine reach 80% of its heat capacity and then fail seems unrealistic.

Shouldn't the parts work within their designed perameters not fail below their design ratings?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.