[1.8.x] DMagic Orbital Science: New Science Parts [v1.4.3] [11/2/2019]

DMagic

@Kill_off There is a short explanation of how asteroid science works near the top of the first post in this thread. Basically, asteroids are split up into nine different groups, independent of size, which are used to generate pools of science for each asteroid experiment. 

@Napseis "Hammer Test" as in, test the hammer. There should be another button called "Collect Seismic Data", or something like that. 

Small suggestion, could the surface laser be able to adjust the direction it fires, like the hammer? So I can attach it to the side of a vertical surface pointing down, and have it just fire down, or maybe outwards a bit, instead of only firing in 'rover' orientation?

On 20.3.2016 at 6:46 PM, DMagic said:

@Kill_off There is a short explanation of how asteroid science works near the top of the first post in this thread. Basically, asteroids are split up into nine different groups, independent of size, which are used to generate pools of science for each asteroid experiment. 

@Napseis "Hammer Test" as in, test the hammer. There should be another button called "Collect Seismic Data", or something like that. 

Yes I have seen that and it says the size and weight are the same as in stock. so they shouldn´t weight several thousand tons. My tracking station said Class A and then it was 16.000t.

Just wondering if this may be a Bug or if it comes from another mod/conflict with another mod ?

Edited by Kill_off

On 3/20/2016 at 6:46 PM, DMagic said:

hum, my bad, but the Collect Seismic Data doesn't seem to interact with the pods. If you do it once without pods, does it remove the possibility to collect with ? Maybe i'm having a conflict with another mod...

@Kill_off This doesn't do anything to the asteroid masses, it just internally assigns a classification used only by Orbital Science.

@Napseis What do you mean by doesn't interact with the pods? The science value gained after collecting data is based on the same value used to set the indicator lights and the right-click menu percentage value.

There is a limit to the amount of seismic data that can be collected though. So if you collect data from a biome without pods (at, say, 60% value) and recover it, then go back and collect data with pods (at 100%) you will only get the remaining amount of data (40% of the total).

Edited by DMagic

24 minutes ago, DMagic said:

I probably won't get around to releasing a 1.1 update during the pre-release. But it should update soon after that.

But I really want to see if it's truly a stock problem and if it's reproducible in the prerelease.

For some reason, it seems like I'm the only one that gets this annoying bug!!!!!!!!1!111!!1!!111!1001010101010

8 hours ago, smjjames said:

But I really want to see if it's truly a stock problem and if it's reproducible in the prerelease.

For some reason, it seems like I'm the only one that gets this annoying bug!!!!!!!!1!111!!1!!111!1001010101010

You know modders do their mods in their free time.

By the way DMagic I use your mod a lot I really enjoy it, it's one of my must have and I never took a moment to give you my thanks for it: Thanks!!!

4 hours ago, Elkram said:

You know modders do their mods in their free time.

By the way DMagic I use your mod a lot I really enjoy it, it's one of my must have and I never took a moment to give you my thanks for it: Thanks!!!

I know, I'm just venting my frustration at the bug, not at DMagic.

Can't seem to reproduce on stock though.....

There doesn't seem to be much that needed updating for KSP 1.1, mostly some Unity 5 Component stuff and a few changes made to FinePrint code.

I'll see about getting a pre-release version of this out for testing, probably some time this weekend.

I also found a new function in ModuleScienceExperiment that could be interesting. It looks like they added a cool down timer for science experiments. I'm not sure if it actually used by any stock experiments, but it might be an interesting feature.

Edited by DMagic

51 minutes ago, smjjames said:

I know, I'm just venting my frustration at the bug, not at DMagic.

Can't seem to reproduce on stock though.....

:cool:

31 minutes ago, DMagic said:

There doesn't seem to be much that needed updating for KSP 1.1, mostly some Unity 5 Component stuff and a few changes made to FinePrint code.

I'll see about getting a pre-release version of this out for testing, probably some time this weekend.

I also found a new function in ModuleScienceExperiment that could be interesting. It looks like they added a cool down timer for science experiments. I'm not sure if it actually used by any stock experiments, but it might be an interesting feature.

Awesome!

8 hours ago, DMagic said:

Okay cool.

If the bug still happens there, should I make a bug report in the tracker about it or make one here? I'm inclined to post it in the bugtracker because we can't figure it out here.

6 hours ago, Bored971 said:

Looking forward to that 1.1 prerelease update DMagic.  Take your time!  Your work is awesome and pretty much single-handedly made me not tear my hair out during science.  Thanks for all you do.

Yeah this mod makes science 1000x more interesting.  You dont realize how much its needed till its gone lol.

7 hours ago, worsin said:

Yeah this mod makes science 1000x more interesting.  You dont realize how much its needed till its gone lol.

Agreed. I have a kick-ass science probe that is broken because of 1.1. :(

I want to send it to Duna, but none of the dmagic parts do anything when clicked on.

A test version is available on GitHub.

It has been updated for KSP 1.1.1183.

The only other change is that a broken SIGINT dish is no longer able to collect science.

The only known issue is that the SIGINT dish reports as much too big in the editor and can only be launched with a fully upgraded launchpad; there may also be some issues with the indicator lights on the seismic hammer, but the score value for determining the amount of science gained appears to be correct.

Let me know if any other issues come up.

Haven't run into any obvious bugs as of yet. So far so good, outside of your stated bug, that is.

test build on ksp 64bit 1183 with universal storage.

Edited by toril

First of all, I must say I’ve been using this mod for ages, and I love it.

Second, is there a chance we could see a hard x-ray imager similar to that carried by the Japanese Hitomi satellite? I’d love to see that in KSP.

On 4/3/2016 at 3:53 PM, DMagic said:

The only known issue is that the SIGINT dish reports as much too big in the editor and can only be launched with a fully upgraded launchpad

Forgive me if we've gone over this already, but does reexporting the model from Blender (?) in the un-opened state (ie at frame 0) resolve this issue?

@CobaltWolf It was exported at time zero, with everything closed. But Unity calculates the Renderer Bounds using the actual size of the dish meshes, not the size with the bones applied to it.

I need to play around with editing the bounds values in Unity. But the old method for fixing it was to just disable the transform objects in the editor, that doesn't seem to work anymore. There are lots of options (disabling the SkinnedMeshRenderer, destroying the entire dish object, or maybe disabling the armature), I just need to dig through it all to see what works.

The VAB icon size fixer from xEvilReeperx works because it can recalculate the bounds of the actual mesh and apply those to the icon size. But I don't think the same really applies to the craft size calculation, since that is all handled internally and happens every time you change something on the vessel.

@Dunrana Yes. :D

Edited by DMagic

Well it turns out that editing the SkinnedMeshRenderer Bounds in Unity works just fine. It fixes both the part icon and the part size issues for the SIGINT dish. It might affect procedural drag cube calculation, but I don't care about that as I'm specifying my own drag cube.

You just select the Skinner Mesh objects in Unity, edit the bounds to more-or-less fit where it should be, then make sure to activate "Update When Offscreen".