What do YOU want to see in 0.24?

...then the difference between procedural versus manual terrain is relevant only to the game developers, not to the players.

Procedural generation of terrain would create a more detailed and consistent environment than manually painting each planet. The devs simply don't have time to hand carve every crater and island. I think what you're missing Steven, is that the players may come to expect procedural environments to look better than hand crafted. And largely, they are correct. If a player is aware of a style or technology that they expect will make the game more pleasing to look at, and they know the style or technology by name, then there is no fault in asking for it.

It would be much appreciated if the way science was collected was changed. Too much emphasis on sending Kerbals and returning to Kerbin.

This wasn't a problem at first in career because almost every mission gets some science. But once I started building a Mun base, science was hard to come by. Even though I was successful in landing multiple ships in the same vicinity, I basically wasted my time because I already gathered science from that site and thus even though I have gained experience in landing and put many science gathering parts and Kerbonauts on the moon, my overall science is the same as if I had landed an unmanned probe 1 time. I also wish unmanned probes like orbiters and something like a Voyager would give more science since they are so valuable to real life science, and I think those kinds of vehicles provide very meaningful science, more than the current version of KSP gives credit for.

Not in the next release but eventually - how about a career option where you balance science, money, and Kerbals toward a specific goal of Space Migration? Possibly have an Armageddon date by which time you would have to have built a viable space colony on a livable planet and transferred as many of your team there as possible.

Sort Kerbal Space Program meets RimWorld...

I think they are already planning to incorporate money, so you could just set a hard date for yourself and play as if there was an apocalypse on that date and play away. That is what many of the challenges on the forums here are for, in the absence of built in missions. But I do agree being able to set goals for specific missions or overall for yourself would be a great aspect to build into the game, it will be interesting to see how much freedom of choice we have with missions when they are implemented.

Procedural generation of terrain would create a more detailed and consistent environment than manually painting each planet. The devs simply don't have time to hand carve every crater and island. I think what you're missing Steven, is that the players may come to expect procedural environments to look better than hand crafted. And largely, they are correct. If a player is aware of a style or technology that they expect will make the game more pleasing to look at, and they know the style or technology by name, then there is no fault in asking for it.

The player-visible feature in that case is called "better looking terrain". Procedural generation is a means to that end, and this thread is about the ends, not the means.

If the stock game used up less memory, you could add more mods. Also, the planets' terrains granularity could be - in theory - reduced so that you could have features on the meter-level (or less) instead of the kilometer-lever. Also, you could have an infinite universe but I personally don't care about that. These are practical, player-desired benefits of procedurally-generated terrain.

Not every (or even many) players may know it, but if a player DOES know it that player should be able to request it. Especially because if they request "Detail down to the meter-level or less on every square meter of every surface of every planet" and people would chastize them that it's impossible because all the planets' surfaces are image files.

But we're requesting the end effects here, not the means to achieve them. You request lower memory footprint as the actual game feature you want. If the devs think procedural generation is a good way to get that that's their decision. The argument about how to achieve the end goal is secondary.

When people ask for "64 bit", for example, what they're *really* asking for is "allow more memory so I can run more mods. Also make it have less space-kraken style errors that blow up my stations." and so on.

Edited by vexx32
Merged posts. Please try not to double-post.

When people ask for "64 bit", for example, what they're *really* asking for is "allow more memory so I can run more mods. Also make it have less space-kraken style errors that blow up my stations." and so on.

I don't agree with you 100% though I see your point.

People requested "Multiplayer" for months, and Squad told them that it was impossible they always wanted to but needed to work out the logistics. Then when someone actually did it in a mod (which is at least akin to suggesting the specifics) suddenly they had their plan and it's now in the works.

I'm dreaming of a better vehicle builder (try to build a rover which looks like a common vehicle, it's... mmm not so funny, unless I'm really not good at building), being less alone in Kerbal Universe (why we have to do EVERYTHING there ? Does kerbals are lazy ? Where are all those "engineers" ? we have to build, to drive, to fly, to pilot, to hover, to recover, ... some autopilot (for hovering for ex.) and some kerbals who actually work might be great (kindda "hey Bob Kerman, take this spaceship and go to the Mun orbit") and I hope also devs don't do what "pro" devs usually do = assuming what hardware players have and use hard limits in the game like 2 GB memory max period (and playing in ten years you think : "ggrrrrrhhh ddooh ddooohhh I have 2 TB of mem and this damned game don't use it at all and lag like hell").

As a player of KSP for over 3 months now I have become quite proficient at knowing which of the 4 or 5 soundtracks is going to come on next. I thought it would be a good idea to include some new parts for building radio transmitting satellites that link to an MP3 folder in the game data folder that you can add your own space faring, planet partying, interstellar mindwarping Kerbal body poppping tunes and broadcast them throughout the Kerbal Universe.

All though the music in KSP is quiet tranquil and I'll admit I like listening to it, I still think it would be good if I could broadcast "Flight of the Valkyries" whilst launching some interstellar drop ships or "A 2001 Space odyssey" whilst setting up a Kerbal craft on a trajectory into the sun.

Let me know what you guys think.

P.s I have no idea how to code or where to begin in making this a reality but if someone would like to take on the idea and produce a mod feel free. A little credit my direction for the initial idea would be great.

1- 64 bit mode, please.

2- Integrated building tools displaying the Delta-V/TWR/Weight/Thrust/Fuel time/...all the info displayed by "Kerbal Engineer Redux" mod.

3- Possibility to build two ships at the same time in the rocket construction facility. Sometimes there's a need for ship docking compatibility, payload lifter recycling or whatever and we could really use the feature of managing the construction of two ships at the same time. And no, the sub-assembly manager doesn't cut it.

4-While we are at it, PLEASE make the sub-assembly manager able to save/load ENTIRE payload lifters (with the stage decoupling sequence set and all that). I don't appreciate having to build a new payload lifter every time I build a new ship. I'd like to be able to reuse my payload lifters from already built ships.

5-Add new parts for rover design (I'm talking about the rover's body here), right now there are only a few parts for rovers which don't offer a lot of design flexibility.

6-Make the building of space stations and moon/planetary bases relevant for career games (extra science points, extra resources, perks, whatever).

7-I'd appreciate it if Kerbal astronauts had a limited service time. For example, the game could force the player to return astronauts to Kerbin after a few years...otherwise we'd have Methuselah astronauts orbiting Laythe, for example, who are 80+ years old

8-It would be also nice to have some kind of integrated interplanetary orbit transfer calculator "Protractor" style.

I'm sure I could go on, but right now I can't think of any other specific practical issues that I experience when I'm KSPing...

As a player of KSP for over 3 months now I have become quite proficient at knowing which of the 4 or 5 soundtracks is going to come on next. I thought it would be a good idea to include some new parts for building radio transmitting satellites that link to an MP3 folder in the game data folder that you can add your own space faring, planet partying, interstellar mindwarping Kerbal body poppping tunes and broadcast them throughout the Kerbal Universe.

All though the music in KSP is quiet tranquil and I'll admit I like listening to it, I still think it would be good if I could broadcast "Flight of the Valkyries" whilst launching some interstellar drop ships or "A 2001 Space odyssey" whilst setting up a Kerbal craft on a trajectory into the sun.

Let me know what you guys think.

P.s I have no idea how to code or where to begin in making this a reality but if someone would like to take on the idea and produce a mod feel free. A little credit my direction for the initial idea would be great.

I second this, we need new music, please!!! A customizable mp3 folder would be awesome!

2- Integrated building tools displaying the Delta-V/TWR/Weight/Thrust/Fuel time/...all the info displayed by "Kerbal Engineer Redux" mod.

Agreed.
4-While we are at it, PLEASE make the sub-assembly manager able to save/load ENTIRE payload lifters (with the stage decoupling sequence set and all that). I don't appreciate having to build a new payload lifter every time I build a new ship. I'd like to be able to reuse my payload lifters from already built ships.

Umm.... I reuse my launchers all the time, and generally when I load a subassembly it keeps the launcher's staging... it's just that the launcher staging sometimes overlaps with the staging you already set for the payload.

5-Add new parts for rover design (I'm talking about the rover's body here), right now there are only a few parts for rovers which don't offer a lot of design flexibility.

I'm not quite sure what you mean... are you wanting more non-cylindrical fuselages?

7-I'd appreciate it if Kerbal astronauts had a limited service time. For example, the game could force the player to return astronauts to Kerbin after a few years...otherwise we'd have Methuselah astronauts orbiting Laythe, for example, who are 80+ years old

What about "colonies?" a la Mars One? The closest I'd want to see is a health system integrated with life support.

8-It would be also nice to have some kind of integrated interplanetary orbit transfer calculator "Protractor" style.

I'm sure I could go on, but right now I can't think of any other specific practical issues that I experience when I'm KSPing...

Agreed.

What about "colonies?" a la Mars One? The closest I'd want to see is a health system integrated with life support.

Just saying, Mars One is a total hoax :P

Science for rendezvous and docking at the top of my head right now.

I'd like a sample container.

Also a way of finding out what biomes exist and where they are without having to explore every inch of a planet.

And a use for the science lab would also be good.

A reason for establishing bases/stations would be good too.

I agree about finding out where the Biomes are. At the point in the 0.23 release they display what biomes have been visited and done science in, I think it'd be nice if you could make some sort of satellite that you could equip with a type of scanner that would search the land for different biomes and map them out in some fashion. I feel like making a satellite to find those biomes would add another (little) dynamic to the game.

I realize there's probably a mod for something like this already. but it'd be nice if it was part of the core game.

I also agree with the other suggestions quoted, but my primary want would be the biome scanner.

I realize this probably would be grouped with "weather and other atmospheric conditions" but it would be nice to feel like night time on Kerbin doesn't almost feel like you're in space itself. At night it seems as if there's no transition between the planet and space.

Since this program is getting an education version seems like a good time to add some female names to the name list. I am NOT asking for female Kerbals just female names, it is well known in educational circles (I've seen studies many years ago I'm sure there are more recent ones) that girls tend to get turned off by software that is perceived as all male, yes Kerbals are pretty androgynous but the names aren't. Can't be that hard to do ;).

Ability to transferr science between vessels to allow players doing apollo style missions.

Thats basic functionality, its strange that squad hasnt implemented it.

Beore you guys start doing some asteroids missions packs take care of stuff like this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.