Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Was working on a new twin-engine stock propeller fighter... when I figured out squad finally broke them. I'm so done with this now...

Before the most recent update this baby could fly along at 200 m/s. Now it can't go beyond 130 m/s. Squad for some reason decided fairings can no longer occlude the parts of separate craft directly inside of them. This includes reaction wheel engines. So now all stock propeller planes that don't use mods are just absolutely worthless... Anyone else have this problem? 

Don't really know if I want to release this now or not. Maybe now I have to finally get the DLC

?imw=1024&imh=576&ima=fit&impolicy=Lette

Edited by Jon144

:ph34r:

2 hours ago, Jacke said:

You need to make a paintscheme for Jeb's Junkyard & Spaceship Parts! :)  With the logo from the game!

Not a bad idea, I can make some KSP decals and stick 'm on my stuff. &)

EDIT:

yVyoQCG.png

EDIT 2: We found another abandoned truck... :ph34r:

khBOQS7.png

Edited by Triop

Begun work on a scale model of the N1 moon rocket. I started out by making an LK lunar lander just to see if I could do it justice and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Test flight results are pretty encouraging so I've gone ahead with a plan to make the rest of the rocket. So far I've completed the LK and the "Block A" first stage. I'm also reusing the Block D from my Proton build.

K4U09lu.png

In a very Kerbal manner, the LK's landing phase involves braking with the Block D before dumping it to crash on the Moon.

GsR52wD.png

Mock landing on the Mun. 

arKCa79.png

Block A. Full to the brim with fuel tanks and powered by 30 KS-25's.

Hw7By54.png

Attempting to takeoff at full throttle results in an epic fireball. Seems like a huge problem, but maybe its more realistic this way.

VMspvmV.png

Seems to fly well enough, though throttling up to 100% again caused a huge explosion. It's fine for now, but I'll try to sort this out when I make Block B.

After lots of tuning we where ready for a test drive.  48 m/s = 172,8 kph :cool:

They took a lot of risk testing the car without a roll cage.... :lol:

UJBjvsN.png

b0BCeUn.png

Next up: Seats, dashboard, body, rollcage, doors, lights, etc, etc.

TBC for sure. :ph34r:

Edited by Triop

It's been almost a year since I release my last swing wing plane, so I feel that it's appropriate that I return to the thing that made me a name for myself in the first place.

QI46bGl.png

Part of the reason I haven't done one since is the time they take, and the fact that I didn't really think that I could one-up either my Tornado or my most recent Tomcat, but tonight I proved myself wrong on two counts. About 2h of work went into this mostly working demonstrator of a new technique that has the opportunity to completely upset how I do swing wings. Part of the major problem with stock swing wings was their profile - you just couldn't make a good one thin enough to make a proportional replica. The first innovation came with the Tornado, as I replaced the wing glove (typically made of wing panels) with one made from fins. This cut the total thickness of the system in nearly half, but still left the wing floating due to the fact that the hinges were slightly thicker than the wing themselves. Additionally, there were geometric constraints on where the hinge could be placed due to the dimensions of the hinge itself. Going back to an early swing wing (my second) of mine, the F-111, the hinge is placed such that a conventional hinge would protrude out and not match the shape correctly.

Rzmt21m.png

The innovation of tonight was to reverse the hinge paradigm. Rather than have a fixed pin rotating within a cage, if the wing itself forms the cage, pinning a part of the main craft between it, much smaller geometry can be created for swing wings. It's an elegant solution which lowers part count, increases wing strength, and tightens up the geometry as well.

N1-L3 is taking shape, got the first 3 stages installed and in working order. For test flights I've fitted a mockup payload fairing with about ~70 tons of ore to simulate the lunar payload. 

EhRz6xo.png

Block A had a tendency to explode in flight, particularly after staging. I went through a few redesigns but in the end it came down to the removal of a few autostrut connections. Construction of Blocks B and V were fairly straightforward though I did have to redo them to add jettison-able interstage fairings.

Next up is the L3 lunar payload. Blocks G and D have been added to the stack as well as the LK lander and LOK orbiter. There's still a lot of work to be done on this section but I think it's coming along nicely.

nt7zUsN.png

Edited by tehmattguy