Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

On 15.3.2016 at 5:53 AM, PointySideUp said:

've been slowly working on another science cruiser with a large interior made possible by the SKAT drive by @Jolly_Roger.  I'm calling this one the Gator for obvious but initially unintentional reasons.  Interior spaces and awesome airlocks inspired by @ShadowZone

I'm flattered! Nice looking cruiser you got there!

Work on the Bismarck continues, with the upper deck, the bridge, and almost all things in the aft superstructure complete. The main tower still needs to have work done to be completed. Over all though, the Bismarck is likely doing better than Prinz Eugen was at this stage, as i'm at 587 parts.

21 hours ago, Azimech said:

I hope my little aircraft carrier can handle SaturnianBlue's Bismarck. Not in a direct confrontation of course. It was sank today by my heavy cruiser.

Provided you don't use very slow Swordfish torpedo bombers with some luck....

50 minutes ago, SaturnianBlue said:

Work on the Bismarck continues, with the upper deck, the bridge, and almost all things in the aft superstructure complete. The main tower still needs to have work done to be completed. Over all though, the Bismarck is likely doing better than Prinz Eugen was at this stage, as i'm at 587 parts.

Beautiful! I invite you to the WW2W topic, I'd like to know your opinion about 0.5.

New Tranquility + Cupola + PMA 3. Didn't like the big one I had before and realised it could look better :)

screenshot308.png

screenshot309.png

screenshot311.png

the cupola looks better from a bit further away though :), should be good, I've never seen the ISS up close :P

24 minutes ago, Triop said:

Balance is perfect, should I put wings on it ?

...is it? With the fuel tank behind the cockpit like that, either you "cheated" another tank in the cockpit, or the CoM will move forwards as you burn fuel, eventually getting to the point where torque is not enough and you go down.

Rune. It looks very retro-futuristic, though.

1 minute ago, Rune said:

...is it? With the fuel tank behind the cockpit like that, either you "cheated" another tank in the cockpit, or the CoM will move forwards as you burn fuel, eventually getting to the point where torque is not enough and you go down.

Rune. It looks very retro-futuristic, though.

Here, take a look inside and try it, let me know what you think.

File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ci5h4g970qfqf3f/VTOL%20SM.craft?dl=0

lCi1fja.png

I never knew I would say this.. but I'm having quite a lot of fun restoring airliners.

Qf3rWiv.png

GJPg6RS.png

I need to prepare for the possibility, though, that I'm going to have to restore MUCH more/ totally abandon this project because of the new landing gear coming up, see below;

mW4wjuP.gif

I mean, have you EVER seen a conventional passenger airliner with nose gear looking like this?

G2HSkZh.jpg

Or a narrow-body passenger airliner with rear gear that have bogies with SIX wheels? (say, the B737?)

So yeah, I think I'll have to find a low-tech solution of some sort.

I hardly know what game I am playing these days, so beautiful

STS Testing continues, she's a Mk3 scale shuttle replica, handles beautifully in orbital manoeuvres and re-entry, tank and booster integration testing now, I am using @sgt_flyer's compound boosters and fairings, all to full mk3 scale. If she fly's to orbit as well as she handles now she might almost be my best work.

16 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

I hardly know what game I am playing these days, so beautiful

STS Testing continues, she's a Mk3 scale shuttle replica, handles beautifully in orbital manoeuvres and re-entry, tank and booster integration testing now, I am using @sgt_flyer's compound boosters and fairings, all to full mk3 scale. If she fly's to orbit as well as she handles now she might almost be my best work.

did you make the ET to scale too with fairings ? :) (in addition, it can allow you to move the ET's COM inside the fairings)

11 hours ago, Columbia said:

I never knew I would say this.. but I'm having quite a lot of fun restoring airliners.

Qf3rWiv.png

GJPg6RS.png

I need to prepare for the possibility, though, that I'm going to have to restore MUCH more/ totally abandon this project because of the new landing gear coming up, see below;

mW4wjuP.gif

I mean, have you EVER seen a conventional passenger airliner with nose gear looking like this?

G2HSkZh.jpg

Or a narrow-body passenger airliner with rear gear that have bogies with SIX wheels? (say, the B737?)

So yeah, I think I'll have to find a low-tech solution of some sort.

Just slide them up into the fuselage, they'll disappear completely when they retract.

5 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Just slide them up into the fuselage, they'll disappear completely when they retract.

By that, I meant the number of tires on a wheel bogie, which will change as seen in the animation above -- I'm assuming you intend the pods that the gear retract to. If you didn't, could you explain more?

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Columbia said:

By that, I meant the number of tires on a wheel bogie, which will change as seen in the animation above -- I'm assuming you intend the pods that the gear retract to. If you didn't, could you explain more?

Thanks!

Yes, use the offset gizmo to just slide the whole pod up so you can't see the doors anymore when they're closed.

After weeks of designing, testing, troubleshooting, and exorcisms, I have reached a point where I would be willing to release the Gato! 

IFJ0WRA.png

Trust me, it may look cool, but it's still probably got a little evil left in it.

Anyway, I'm still having troubles with getting the submarine to dive easily and still sit right in the water on the surface (even in the pictures, it's a little too low). If there's anyone who knows a thing or two about KSP buoyancy and how to make something sink and has some free time on their hands (and isn't afraid of this monster), I could certainly use some help in getting this thing balanced out, by this I mean I need someone else to take a look at the ship My design constraints are pretty simple: Make it able to dive fairly easily when you make it, but still have a waterline that doesn't look too bad. Any help anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated, and I will make sure to give credit where it is due.

9 hours ago, Azimech said:

Yes, use the offset gizmo to just slide the whole pod up so you can't see the doors anymore when they're closed.

It's not the doors (I can more or less live with that), it's the number of wheels in the set of landing gear changing in 1.1, which is a pretty big aesthetic issue in my case. Unless I misinterpreted the GIF preview, of course.

7 hours ago, CommanderSpock said:

Isn't that Energia 2.0?

Yup, that was easy. Mighty good-looking Uragan you have there, though, @MrMeeb! The modded cargo bay (IR+what else?) fits the "original" perfectly.. I did try my hand at this, but it was stock and I got distracted midway and never finished.

Rune. Do you have the Zenith boosters done?

5 hours ago, Rune said:

Yup, that was easy. Mighty good-looking Uragan you have there, though, @MrMeeb! The modded cargo bay (IR+what else?) fits the "original" perfectly.. I did try my hand at this, but it was stock and I got distracted midway and never finished.

Rune. Do you have the Zenith boosters done?

Thanks! Just IR and Procedural Fairings. 

It's complete, including boosters. It just doesn't really fly very well at all. It's not practical to use by any means unfortunately