Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

2 hours ago, MrMeeb said:

Thanks! Just IR and Procedural Fairings. 

It's complete, including boosters. It just doesn't really fly very well at all. It's not practical to use by any means unfortunately 

Hmm. Have you tried it in FAR ? Ferram's voxelisation drag modelling should work better than the stock drag system (especially with the articulated nosecone, where stock drag would see a pointed nosecone, a gap, followed immediately by a blunt shape for the rest of the cargo bay) 

Just now, sgt_flyer said:

Hmm. Have you tried it in FAR ? Ferram's voxelisation drag modelling should work better than the stock drag system (especially with the articulated nosecone, where stock drag would see a pointed nosecone, a gap, followed immediately by a blunt shape for the rest of the cargo bay) 

Hey man.

Are you working on anything at the moment? It's been a while!

5 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Hey man.

Are you working on anything at the moment? It's been a while!

i still haven't had the time to move my .crafts on another host than mediafire, nor searching a new host i'll be comfortable with :(

Edited by sgt_flyer

i still haven't had the time to move my .crafts on another host than mediafire :(

That's old stuff though right? Any new builds on the horizon? I am knee deep in rebuilds.. It burns me out a bit..

i guess i'm more or less waiting for 1.1 to make a clean slate :) 

I know the feeling. I don't think there will be many craft breaking changes though, I hope! Ok mate. I really look forward to seeing what you come up with.

2 hours ago, sgt_flyer said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a go :) 

im kind of shooting myself in the foot anyway making it in 6.4 scale Kerbin but hey

STS Integration testing progressing, had to abandon the first boosters and resort to some simpler ones, even these have become un-symmetried so I will have to do them again. It works OK now, it's not a hit spacebar and forget ascent, it gets a bit squrrely at times, Mechjeb can also do it for those who don't like messin with the bronco. It's still a really nice and easy re-entry though. No landing this time I overshot the KSC, was testing circularising and de-orbiting on the OMS alone, which works OK.

Looking good SM!

About the only thing i have tested on mine is the re-entry and landing, all passed thankfully. I look forward to seeing the finished thing.

What kind of payloads are you planning? I will aim for the real versions 25ish tonnes me thinks and see if it will take more. What are you using of OMS?

In terms of ascent, things are behaving much better! Not sure whether it was FAR, disabling of control surfaces or thrust limiting, but it is manageable now. However, when passing through the sound barrier I'm having an issue with the nosecone being pulled by aerodynamic forces it would seem.

gmkupL1.jpg

The fuel budget is *extremely* tight too, and I haven't even thought about reentry, so here's to hoping.

Also, quick question to you people...if I have two engines running at different thrusts, they consume fuels at different rates, no? If I were to have two identical engine + tank assemblies, with the exception of one engine running on a lower thrust than the other, is it possible to get them to flame-out at the same time? To put this into context, the outer zenit boosters would ideally run at a lower thrust than the inner ones, but they all need to flame out at the same time...any ideas?

Edited by MrMeeb

23 minutes ago, MrMeeb said:

In terms of ascent, things are behaving much better! Not sure whether it was FAR, disabling of control surfaces or thrust limiting, but it is manageable now. However, when passing through the sound barrier I'm having an issue with the nosecone being pulled by aerodynamic forces it would seem.

gmkupL1.jpg

The fuel budget is *extremely* tight too, and I haven't even thought about reentry, so here's to hoping.

Also, quick question to you people...if I have two engines running at different thrusts, they consume fuels at different rates, no? If I were to have two identical engine + tank assemblies, with the exception of one engine running on a lower thrust than the other, is it possible to get them to flame-out at the same time? To put this into context, the outer zenit boosters would ideally run at a lower thrust than the inner ones, but they all need to flame out at the same time...any ideas?

for the nosecone problem, seems you need a way to 'latch' the nosecone on the opposite side of the IR hinge. maybe try to surface attach (if possible) the docking port jr to the hinge then translate it , or add a micronode between the nosecone and the hinge (then use the translation tool to put everything in the correct place, if you use the mod that removes translation tool distance restrictions), and attach a docking port on the Uragan's body, then translate it so it's positioned like if it was docked to the first one. on physics loading, the two will dock, providing a matching structural integrity. if you want to use mods, maybe the mod quantum struts continued, for the same effect :) .of course, you'll need to undock or deactivate the struts before opening the nosecone :)

for the booster fuel tank problem, if you use Kerbal Engineer redux to know your burn time, load your booster as a standalone, note the burn time at full thrust / full fuel, lower the thrust as you need on the booster, then start emptying the fuel tanks (both fuel and oxydizer)  until you match the original burn time (you can turn off the fully emptied tanks, so they will not appear in the fuel gauge), and save the result as a separate subassembly from the full thrust booster :) 

27 minutes ago, sgt_flyer said:

for the nosecone problem, seems you need a way to 'latch' the nosecone on the opposite side of the IR hinge. maybe try to surface attach (if possible) the docking port jr to the hinge then translate it , or add a micronode between the nosecone and the hinge (then use the translation tool to put everything in the correct place, if you use the mod that removes translation tool distance restrictions), and attach a docking port on the Uragan's body, then translate it so it's positioned like if it was docked to the first one. on physics loading, the two will dock, providing a matching structural integrity. if you want to use mods, maybe the mod quantum struts continued, for the same effect :) .of course, you'll need to undock or deactivate the struts before opening the nosecone :)

for the booster fuel tank problem, if you use Kerbal Engineer redux to know your burn time, load your booster as a standalone, note the burn time at full thrust / full fuel, lower the thrust as you need on the booster, then start emptying the fuel tanks (both fuel and oxydizer)  until you match the original burn time (you can turn off the fully emptied tanks, so they will not appear in the fuel gauge), and save the result as a separate subassembly from the full thrust booster :) 

Thanks :) I'll try both of these. So is there no form of fuel line trickery you're aware of?

10 minutes ago, MrMeeb said:

Thanks :) I'll try both of these. So is there no form of fuel line trickery you're aware of?

mmh. for using fuel lines for that, you would need a specific setup - aka, use a non fuel crossfeed part between the last fuel tank and the engine assembly (you can use another structural part inbetween the non fuel crossfeed part and the engine for having an easier time placing fuel lines if you wish), then you'd need to link fuel lines from both tanks to both engines. (you'd have 4 fuel lines - 2 fuel lines going from booster 1 fuel tank to booster 1 & 2 engines, and 2 fuel lines from booster 2 fuel tank to booster 1 & 2 engines)

just criss crossing fuel lines between the two tanks can be tricky without some intermediate part :)

as a hint though, you can use the translation tool to move the engine assembly 'above' the non fuel crossfeed part, attach a fuel line from the tank to the engine, then translate the engine back in place. the fuel line will follow accordingly :) (though, you might need to do it 'after' placement :))

7 hours ago, Majorjim said:

Looking good SM!

About the only thing i have tested on mine is the re-entry and landing, all passed thankfully. I look forward to seeing the finished thing.

What kind of payloads are you planning? I will aim for the real versions 25ish tonnes me thinks and see if it will take more. What are you using of OMS?

At the moment I have just wacked a full orange tank in there. This is a scale and not rigorously exact because I want it to work well for anybody. A big red seems a decent payload for that purpose. The OMS is using thuds.

Testing a more realistic building style for the next version of Big Ships and WW2W.  In the future it will be possible for ships to break in two or more large chunks.

Edited by Azimech

11 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Testing a more realistic building style for the next version of Big Ships and WW2W.  In the future it will be possible for ships to break in two or more parts.

Looks like that might be a big ocean liner like the Titanic or the Queen Mary.

Just now, pTrevTrevs said:

Looks like that might be a big ocean liner like the Titanic or the Queen Mary.

Sssht ... not so loud. I'm actually working on a little parallel mod called Titanic Sinking Simulator. Complete with flooding compartments and iceberg salad. But don't tell anyone!

16 hours ago, Azimech said:

Sssht ... not so loud. I'm actually working on a little parallel mod called Titanic Sinking Simulator. Complete with flooding compartments and iceberg salad. But don't tell anyone!

It's not so bad, the Titanic's a fascinating subject that has been tributed, recreated and inspired from. Making a sinking simulator around it wouldn't be bad or disrespectful in any way. :rolleyes: 

The deck seems a little too short to be the Titanic though. I have.. no idea. Probably one of the turn-of-the-century ocean liners. 

On 3/18/2016 at 6:04 PM, Majorjim said:

That's old stuff though right? Any new builds on the horizon? I am knee deep in rebuilds.. It burns me out a bit..

And we're going to have to rebuild a ton again in 1.1 where things will change. At least for landing gear. I'm not expecting anything craft-breaking though. 

15 minutes ago, Columbia said:

It's not so bad, the Titanic's a fascinating subject that has been tributed, recreated and inspired from. Making a sinking simulator around it wouldn't be bad or disrespectful in any way. :rolleyes: 

The deck seems a little too short to be the Titanic though. I have.. no idea. Probably one of the turn-of-the-century ocean liners. 

When I started the mod in November my original working title was "Ship Sinking Simulator" before I changed it to WW2 Warships. And the first ship in my mind was the Titanic :-)

Nothing about what you see is right, except the shape of the hull in the mid section. Still fighting with KJR because it's a bit inflexible with exceptions.

Yes! The front half of the superstructure is almost totally complete, and now I'm currently working on the smokestack bit, and then I'll work of the the back half's mast, and a couple more details, attach the armament, and then send it off for some sea trials and i'm done!

3 hours ago, SaturnianBlue said:

Yes! The front half of the superstructure is almost totally complete, and now I'm currently working on the smokestack bit, and then I'll work of the the back half's mast, and a couple more details, attach the armament, and then send it off for some sea trials and i'm done!

Good god that is beautiful.

A bit off topic though, what happened to the models of the parts in the part selection? Thier textures seem to be.. distorted.

The Bismarck Is finished, but some testing still needs to happen, as at anything above 2X warp the front tower sort of flops around in a bizarre fashion, so strutting is necessary, and the bow needed to be fixed, though since these screenshots were taken I think i fixed the problem. The album has a picture of the ship as whole, one compared to @Azimech's CVE, and a KVV.