Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

After all the International Space Station Hype lately it's got me in the mood to make one, it's something I've been wanting to do for a while now but just haven't been able to pull away from other craft ideas I've been wanting to build. So far I found a couple of mistakes I've made and I don't know if my OCD is bad enough to relaunch another first section, I can always replace it later. Here is what I have for now. Section One is where I am starting, my version is on the next thumb pic. It's sitting at 250m and if time warp it's working with me I left a launcher section attached to move it further out, but I think that's the warp limits somewhere around 220.

Here is what the Launcher looked like

bewJwr8.png

Ok! OCD is kicking here too much, and the timing called for a night launch, so here is what the first section is looking like. I guess I am going at this too quick, I still have a mistake here. Aaaaahhhh!!

International Space Station 105 Section 1

Edited by castille7

5 hours ago, sgt_flyer said:

the antennas are the enclosing :) could have made the enclosing out of thermometers too, but at an higher part count and more chances of clip through :) the 'closing' part on the opposite of the I-beam is a pressmat barometer :) - i basically enclose a sphere :) 

(for bodywork, the small ladder will do wonders to hide the gap ;))

Those antennas have a huge texture, and may end up causing more lag than more thermometers.

16 minutes ago, sgt_flyer said:

@castille7 the 'white' sections are not supposed to be solar panels :) they are ISS radiators :) - you should try with the small deployable radiators :)

Yes I will do that, I am not familiar with a lot of Rocketry or NASA's projects but I do love learning about it and Kerbal Space Program is a great place to learn! thanks for the tip I will make that change before a relaunch,  

Just now, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Those antennas have a huge texture, and may end up causing more lag than more thermometers.

They are very laggy if used in numbers yes, maybe 1.1 will fix this? Maybe 1.1 will also fix this nagging groin pain I have too..

I think given the range of motion in the shown bearing, they are a decent choice as they are much wider than the thermos And they are slim and flat which is nice for aesthetics.

Edited by Majorjim

fully articulated 3 section canadarm, 72 parts, fits within a large + small cargo bay :), redockable :) (plus some RCS in the manipulator section, can help speed up movement a bit, without having to control each section (though, it's also feasible to control each section too :p)

degrees of freedom : 3 DOF on the shoulder (to restrict it to 2DOF would add on to partcount severely), 1 DOF on the elbow, and 3DOF on the wrist :)

0nJVQEM.png
Edited by sgt_flyer

Just now, sgt_flyer said:

fully articulated 3 section canadarm, 72 parts, fits within a large + small cargo bay :), redockable :) (plus some RCS in the manipulator section, can help speed up movement a bit, without having to control each section (though, it's also feasible to control each section too :p)

degrees of freedom : 3 DOF on the shoulder (to restrict it to 2DOF would add on to partcount severely), 1 DOF on the elbow, and 3DOF on the wrist :)

I knew it was, nice one dude! I will show the one I made a few month ago tomorrow if I have time. It also re-docks but docks twice( I see yours does too now), once for each arm as it folds up in on itself. :) It also uses RCS+SAS to move. Once extended it is the full length of the large cargo bay but can be easily made longer or shorter depending on what cargo my shuttle is carrying.

Edited by Majorjim

1 additionnal pic of the canadarm (gravity hack enabled) :)

turning on SAS on a section make it keep it's orientation, while you move another :)

You should have made a shuttle to debut this man. Also, try it with a weight on the end!

Edited by Majorjim

Just now, selfish_meme said:

The Shuttle is almost ready

Yeah I guessed you where adding it to your shuttle when I saw the post about the new version. I can't wait to see it!

I am also super grumpy @sgt_flyer is posting his Canadarm before mine.. :D Although his does admittedly look better than mine! Mine was a bit of an after thought. Yes.. that's a good excuse..

Edited by Majorjim

6 hours ago, sgt_flyer said:
testing out the stock canadarm in orbit :) (can anyone guess which payload it is ? :))

It has wheels, some kind of rover?? Or are they an antenna analogue?

What did you use for the second arm from the base link?

37 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

It has wheels, some kind of rover?? Or are they an antenna analogue?

What did you use for the second arm from the base link?

those wheels are disabled :) they are simply here for their shape :)

it's a satellite ;) (hint, it was deployed from Atlantis)

for the intermediate joint, it's still an omni linear RCS sandwidched between two parts. (also added two small solar panels attached to the arm with the omni rcs to laterally rigidify the hinge (they slide on both sides of the probe core) - the cage is made by 6 very tight pressmat barometers. it's quite effective for 1DOF, allowed me to skip the usual requirement of two thermometer cages around two opposite nozzles to achieve this kind of stability :) 

Edited by sgt_flyer

those wheels are disabled :) they are simply here for their shape :)

it's a satellite ;) (hint, it was deployed from Atlantis)

for the intermediate joint, it's still an omni linear RCS sandwidched between two parts. (also added two small solar panels attached to the arm with the omni rcs to laterally rigidify the hinge (they slide on both sides of the probe core) - the cage is made by 6 very tight pressmat barometers. it's quite effective for 1DOF, allowed me to skip the usual requirement of two thermometer cages around two opposite nozzles to achieve this kind of stability :) 

Sounds interesting, I will need to see it before comparing it. I will be interested to see how it rotates 360 degrees and how big the whole mechanism is.

23 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Sounds interesting, I will need to see it before comparing it. I will be interested to see how it rotates 360 degrees and how big the whole mechanism is.

the elbow joint is blocked at around 20⁰ - 30⁰ on either side (the ladder 'cover' is the only 'solid' element in it. i'm testing if there's another part i can use to bridge the gap that would allow a much tighter angle :) 

@Frank_G

yes, stock joint and hinges would be really nice to have :) in the meantime, i'll play with the game's physics ! :) 

Edited by sgt_flyer

On 28 March 2016 at 8:51 AM, Majorjim said:

Yeah I guessed you where adding it to your shuttle when I saw the post about the new version. I can't wait to see it!

I am also super grumpy @sgt_flyer is posting his Canadarm before mine.. :D

Now we just have to make it dependable and reliably nice to fly, it's pretty good at the moment but can be better, and hopefully reduce some parts. So it should end up a nice pack with the beautifully detailed stock shuttle replica, ISS and a few missions.

Now we just have to make it dependable and reliably nice to fly, it's pretty good at the moment but can be better, and hopefully reduce some parts. So it should end up a nice pack with the beautifully detailed stock shuttle replica, ISS and a few missions.

Make what fly? Are you making any changes to the look of your shuttle?

4 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Make what fly? Are you making any changes to the look of your shuttle?

I have almost completely rebuilt it, @sgt_flyer contributed some ideas and the boosters, ET, it is more accurate, better looking, re-enters like thats its purpose in life and currently with the right payload goes to space very nicely. I am currently trying to improve it across a variety of payload weights.

I have almost completely rebuilt it, @sgt_flyer contributed some ideas and the boosters, ET, it is more accurate, better looking, re-enters like thats its purpose in life and currently with the right payload goes to space very nicely. I am currently trying to improve it across a variety of payload weights.

Ooh cool! I look forward to seeing it all new and shiny!

On March 28, 2016 at 5:19 PM, sgt_flyer said:

0nJVQEM.png

What is this latest bit of wizardry? How does it work?