helldiver

Did a test flight with MJ and KSO.

Mods:

- KSO v2.07

- MJ last dev build (194)

Payload:

- One OA-D24, attached to forward node

- One stock docking port on OA-D24

- Three experiment containers from Fuel Science (link) attached to rear node without any decouplers. They were fully loaded with fuel (for experiments, fuel transfer was disabled on them), their weight was about 1.7 tons in total.

I've used supplied KSO Block 7 .craft.

Mission profile: go to 100km circular orbit, then go to space station (300 km orbit), dock here, do experiments, return experiments back to Kerbin.

MJ settings: All stock (did a complete reinstall), ascent: corrective steering on, rendezvous planner: final distance 100m, smooth throttle on.

KSO: As per your instructions, I've disabled RCS and used both avionics and hinged nosecone (they were already installed)

Ascent: OK, except some wobbling during LRB separation (MJ quickly corrected)

Circularization: OK, except it went off-course at 2 m\s left (I've just disabled autopilot). Used main engines, some fuel left in the EFT.

Rendezvous maneuvering: Way better than before, MJ still regularly goes off-course hwen trying to do small corrective burns (especially close to target). Work definitely needs to be done here.

Docking: OK

Deorbit and landing: Done manually.

Has anyone managed to compare the cost of the KSO vs other rocket builds? Is it worth it making and using and at what point in its service time does the vessel pay itself off?

There's no money in KSP yet. Almost all of the prices are placeholders. It makes no sense to compare costs in KSP, at least not yet.

We're well aware of this. Thing is, rcs thrusters are set up correctly, and the game doesn't like our little tug. The modules in 2.07 have torque on them, and making this change immediately made them easy to control for helldiver. When you move something light, like a truss, go ahead and retract the booms.

A shame the game doesn't handle it right, the tug is a great idea. But I don't know anything about how it works behind the scenes or if it's even possible to fix it as is.

Edit: After looking at the configuration files, I noticed the tug has much less torque than the modules themselves. Think you could boost the torque of the tug to the same level to make it easier to use?

Edited by ayana

A shame the game doesn't handle it right, the tug is a great idea. But I don't know anything about how it works behind the scenes or if it's even possible to fix it as is.

The tug is working great for me, I've used it to assemble every part of my station with MJ. One thing that I've found is that if you enable sas with the booms extended it will spin. Another thing I found is setting the speed in mech jeb's docking autopilot to .5 or even .1 allows it to perfectly align parts.

There's no money in KSP yet. Almost all of the prices are placeholders. It makes no sense to compare costs in KSP, at least not yet.

I am pretty sure that each part in the VAB has a COST value attached to it.. Just add that up (I don't use KSO anymore so I can't confirm this myself) and compare it to a rocket with equal lifting capability.

When an economic system is put into place in KSP, I think the parts should be revalued to reflect the ridiculous cost of making a space shuttle vs using disposable rockets.

Helldiver, coudl you possibly put one MFD monitor inside observation module, for kerbal in front of window?

This module is great as comand pod for big interplanetary vessels, but i cant pilot from IVA without navball, analog or digital showing on MFD.

2 things on my KSO wish list: headlights for the orbiter, hopefully tiny ones like those built into the sdhi docking ports, and placed near the corners of the black windshield area. This would help with using the front docking port. Second would be telescoping versions of the round docking ports, this would help the. shuttle dock in both orientations with a little more breathing space

The tug is working great for me, I've used it to assemble every part of my station with MJ. One thing that I've found is that if you enable sas with the booms extended it will spin. Another thing I found is setting the speed in mech jeb's docking autopilot to .5 or even .1 allows it to perfectly align parts.

It's probably just my playing style. I've gotten used to perfectly aligned RCS so I don't take docking nearly as slowly as I should.

--Turn OFF all reaction wheels on your payload.

--Use the KSO Avionics plus the KSO Hinged Radome. They both have torque on them and improve the KSO's overall torque. This will help MJ.

--You must do the staging manually as well as engine switching (although advanced users are using certain mods that allow them to program engine shutdown/start procedures.

--Before hitting MJ Rendezvous Autopilot, make sure SSMEs are shut down, OMS are turned on and their Pitch Trim is 14, Speed 100.

--There's at least two or more KSO users who can give you more help in the thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/12384-PART-0-23-Anatid-Robotics-MuMech-MechJeb-Autopilot-v2-1-1/page562

This was very helpful I was forgetting certain parts had torque wheels and I had RCS on when using MJ so I was nav ball chasing like a numpty!

Well here's something. IVA only Launch, Rendezvous, and Docking of the KSO to a target on an inclined orbit. It is very long but does walk through what I do.

Notable Mods include but not limited to:

Ferram Aerospace Research mod

Deadly Reentry

Visual Enhancements: Clouds & City Lights

Distant Object Enhancement

Texture Replacer

http://www.youtube.com/embed/8YM9m_LsOfU

This is with the v2.06 update. You may notice that I'm not using the LRBs from the KSO pack. I've been using a pair of KW SRBs simply out of a desire to stick to a Shuttle Analog with the boosters.

Edited by SaSquatch

Use {imgur]XrjT0[/imgur} (replace the {} with [])

For KSO plus MechJeb2 users

http://i.imgur.com/vCpG8Ob.jpg

Requirements:

You must have MechJeb2 latest version installed.

Download:

http://www./download/fm4yvd055555ym2/KSO_MechJeb2.zip

Installation:

Unpack archive. Drag and drop the Parts folder contained in the archive into your Kerbal Space Program/GameData/MechJeb2 folder.

-Support for MechJeb2 is a work in progress. A default KSO Block 7 will require a bit of experience and skill to work well with MechJeb. You may need to customize your KSO to take full advantage of MechJeb features. I've tested the KSO plus MechJeb thoroughly and it powers all my missions building the KSS (using Phase II parts). It has not given me any issues and I really didn't add or change anything to a stock KSO Block 7 craft file (aside from my payload). Make sure RCS is off when using MechJeb and the KSO as well as have both the KSO Avionics and the KSO Hinged Radome as they both provide additional needed torque that helps MechJeb torque properly.

-Make sure that the OMS engines are set to Pitch Trim 14 and Speed 100, otherwise MechJeb will not be able to properly control your KSO in vacuum.

-You can place this part anywhere, it does not have to be radially mounted and functions the same as a stock MechJeb2 AR202.

License

Permission is granted to the MechJeb team, to use, modify, re-upload, redistribute, as well as include this asset in their mod package.

This is not showing up in the Tech Tree. Anyone else having this problem?

I am in serious need of advice. I simply cannot get the KSO into orbit anymore. It always seems to run about 300 m/s short of Delta-v with the EFT, and I need every scrap of fuel I can get in the onboard tank + aux module. I've tried abandoning my traditional 100x100 km orbit in favour of the 75x75, and still I cannot get it into orbit.

What are you guys doing and how much mass can you bring up?

YES!! Phase 2 is here! I'm definitely backing up my sandbox save and replacing the solar panels on my KSS (Kerbal Space Station). And I'll add some more modules :D

*edit* Oh my god! I could combine this mod with the fustek station parts and make a proper ISS replica!! And I'll get a few other mods like the Weld addon so the ISS can be big. Really big!

Edited by One-Way Films
Ideas

I am in serious need of advice. I simply cannot get the KSO into orbit anymore. It always seems to run about 300 m/s short of Delta-v with the EFT, and I need every scrap of fuel I can get in the onboard tank + aux module. I've tried abandoning my traditional 100x100 km orbit in favour of the 75x75, and still I cannot get it into orbit.

I tend to go for an 80 Km orbit , the circularization burn i do with the Omnimax engines. From there I can easily get to an orbit of 300 km and get back to KSC with a bit of fuel to spare. I do take up an aux fuel tank in the cargo bay. Do you have mechjeb? It can be helpfull to show you a very good ascent path.

i don't know about you, guys, but with FAR, I got the KSO up to a circular 150*150 kilometers orbit. No payload, no aux tank. Probably FAR that does it, for some spacecrafts, the savings are much higher than for other.

Well on a hunch I decided to attempt it and let it use as much fuel as it needs from the aux tank. It took 88% of the fuel in it, leaving me with 22 units plus the standard tank. Since I can easily get into orbit WITHOUT the aux tank, it is effectively useless as a range extender and docking aid. So that leaves me wondering- is this a bug or is anyone else noticing this?

Well on a hunch I decided to attempt it and let it use as much fuel as it needs from the aux tank. It took 88% of the fuel in it, leaving me with 22 units plus the standard tank. Since I can easily get into orbit WITHOUT the aux tank, it is effectively useless as a range extender and docking aid. So that leaves me wondering- is this a bug or is anyone else noticing this?

I use the aux tank when I'm going for higher orbits. But I get an 80 km orbit easy without using any onboard fuel, and that is with the aux tank and a payload.

I just ran v2.07 on a fresh kerbal install (vanilla). I got up to a 150x150 with a KerbalLab and Aux Tank with fuel at 50% remaining (would of had more but I didn't notice the ET was empty and was still running the mains on internal fuel with all that mass still).

Couple of things I might suggest.

1. Don't run at Full Thrust unless you need to for a TWR above 1 or other situation.

2. Specifically don't use full Thrust in the lower and denser atmospheres, unless you need to.

3. Shutdown the Main Engines and use the smaller engines once the External Tank is empty.

My procedure on this Stock launch was.

1. Launch at 10-15degrees (75degrees vertical)

2. Throttle down shortly after liftoff to about 75% (let the LRBs do the work but keep TWR above 1)

3. After LRB Separation, Pitch to 45degrees

4. Keep throttle low but TWR above 1

5. When AP reaches 70, Pitch to level.

6. Keep throttle lowish to slowly raise the AP to my target of 150 slowly... but keep Time to AP above 30seconds (I ended up keeping it about a minute out)

7. Keep an eye on the External Tank fuel levels. Shut down the engines right when it's empty. You don't want to be lugging that mass around if you don't need to.

8. Shutdown the Main Engines when you start using internal fuel and run off of the smaller Omnimax 40T engines. They're more efficient once you're in orbit.

I'm not suggesting this is the most fuel efficient way of doing things... but I just ran it and it worked.

I use the aux tank when I'm going for higher orbits. But I get an 80 km orbit easy without using any onboard fuel, and that is with the aux tank and a payload.

I'm going to use it to rendezvous with my station, up at 250x250 km. So I'd like to be able to have that auxiliary fuel for the rendezvous, orbital operations, and landing. Unfortunately, it does not seem to be working quite well.

However...

SaSquatch, that's even heavier than what I'm trying to get into orbit. I'll give it a shot and see if it works! :)

I'm going to use it to rendezvous with my station, up at 250x250 km. So I'd like to be able to have that auxiliary fuel for the rendezvous, orbital operations, and landing. Unfortunately, it does not seem to be working quite well.

However...

SaSquatch, that's even heavier than what I'm trying to get into orbit. I'll give it a shot and see if it works! :)

That's 50% of internal fuel including the Aux tank... I'll try it again to see about the 250x250 orbit. I might need to mess around with what I was doing though.

*Edit*

I just ran it again and I put a Kerbal Lab into 250x250km with the Aux tank left full... but primary internal tank is dry (is 16units dry?). Could probably do better but there it is. Not sure if you were going for return fuel plus a aux tank full or not.

Note: Remember to lock the Aux Fuel tank or else it'll drain first before ET separation.

Edited by SaSquatch
Ran a test Launch

I'm going to use it to rendezvous with my station, up at 250x250 km.

If this is an existing station, the KSO can easily make 250km assuming that your only payload is the Auxiliary Fuel Module and a docking port. 250km is the altitude I park my interplanetary ships at when they return to Kerbin and the KSO has no issues reaching them to rotate out their crews.

If you plan on hauling anything heavy up, or if you're planning on building a new station, I'd recommend an orbit of 200km. When hauling up some of the heavier Phase II space station modules (such as the Space Station Tug and an Auxiliary Fuel Module), 200km gives you a nice orbit and just a enough extra ÃŽâ€v for a few small corrections while still leaving you enough propellant to get home without having to use RCS.

Note: I let MechJeb fly my ascents for me. It's a much more fuel efficient than doing them manually.

If this is an existing station, the KSO can easily make 250km assuming that your only payload is the Auxiliary Fuel Module and a docking port. 250km is the altitude I park my interplanetary ships at when they return to Kerbin and the KSO has no issues reaching them to rotate out their crews.

If you plan on hauling anything heavy up, or if you're planning on building a new station, I'd recommend an orbit of 200km. When hauling up some of the heavier Phase II space station modules (such as the Space Station Tug and an Auxiliary Fuel Module), 200km gives you a nice orbit and just a enough extra ÃŽâ€v for a few small corrections while still leaving you enough propellant to get home without having to use RCS.

Note: I let MechJeb fly my ascents for me. It's a much more fuel efficient than doing them manually.

It is an existing station. I wouldn't dream of dragging the modules up that high. I'm planning on building a KSO part station at 150 km, but for now poor range seems to have canned that idea.