New Way to cool a computer

pat8996

Did this help cool your laptop?  

1. 1. Did this help cool your laptop?

Not all laptops are well or even competently designed.

A lot of them are built with a big metal thing right on top of the CPU. You need to take that off, so that the air really has a chance to circulate around and cool things off.

First of all, buy a serious cooler - you'll have a problem with condensation before ya know it.

Secondof all, my rig isn't gonna fit in the freezer.

Well that's why you buy an "advanced" cooling system!

Who needs those expensive coolers when you have a cheap desk fan?

PybZeYI.jpg?1

OP hasn't replied in a couple days, think he learned the downside the hard way?

I've seen guys who built a rig in a aluminum tin and then filling it with cooking oil as coolant. Works quite well, though I don't know about the long term effects on it.

im not sure if anyone noticed but it seems tdp is on the decline (at least if you are on the intel bus). newer faster chips are using less and less power. as a result there is less heat to deal with. in fact this fall when i build a new computer im gonna go with a mini itx rig with a very modest cpu/gpu and im going to make it really quiet by not filling it up with high cfm fans.

also heat has always been a scapegoat for more serious system problems.

The Fridge i put it in was competly empty so i had no worry's about condension.
Not sure how that makes a difference. The condensation happens when you take it out of the fridge, the cold computer parts in a warm room are almost guaranteed to attract condensation. It's the same effect as someone with glasses coming inside on a cold day, their lenses fog up because of water in the air condensing on the cold surfaces.

Funnily enough the guy made fries in the pan as well.

link to thing. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1104341

Great way to ingest toxic gunk...

Oil is a good way of removing heat if you circulate it, but mineral oil is the best because it won't spoil. People have been doing it for a long, long time. If I had the money to spend, I'd do it, too.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.