The ass kraken just destroyed all my saves.

Clockwork13

So I was attacked by a stupid glitch, which I proudly now call the "ass kraken". So I was on my way to Eve, and I landed. I had to reload a couple of quicksaves, then bam, the ass kraken just made my screen turn red, then white, then the game froze. I closed KSP and to my surprise ALL THE SHIPS in ALL OF MY SAVES have gone missing. The only things I still have left are EVAs and flags. Now I have no idea what to do now that all my work has disappeared...

News flash: It appears random techs from the tech tree appear to have "un-researched" them selves. Most of the tech nodes have a few parts needing entry purchases.

Also every kerbal assigned but my kerbal on EVA is missing an action.

My game also freezes when trying to go to different item tabs in the VAB.

For some ships I try to load, nothing happens.Also every kerbal assigned but my kerbal on EVA is missing an action.

Also, I'm looking for help, not looking for replies like "u forgot to backup noob" or "backup next time!"

Or would it simply be easier to use hyperedit to merely put my ships where they used to be?

Edited by Clockwork13

The same thing happened to me as well. All of the craft that were in orbit were obliterated, but my landed craft were fine. Try reloading your quicksave. If that doesn't work, you best get to starting over!

It's not so easy to start over when you put 200+ hours of work into your main career save. When I reloaded my save, it said that there were missing parts, which means that it might be the parts that were corrupted, because only my EVAs and flags survived, and those arent made with parts in the VAB or SPH.

It's not so easy to start over when you put 200+ hours of work into your main career save. When I reloaded my save, it said that there were missing parts, which means that it might be the parts that were corrupted, because only my EVAs and flags survived, and those arent made with parts in the VAB or SPH.

If there are missing parts, then that's a different issue. It would have told you what parts are missing. Try to load some of the craft that were in your save. Opening the alt-f2 menu will tell you what craft it wasn't able to load and exactly which parts it cannot find. THat should give you more information.

Maybe not the save file is corrupt, but some of the mods, what you used for custom parts, or the main program itself.

I would download the game again, install the mods, put back there the saved game and try to load it.

I once had it happen when I installed a part reordering mod.

I loaded a save and it proceeded to tell me every single ship hadn't been loaded due to missing parts (I had NO parts what so ever in game).

Gladly I had a backup :)

Easiest thing to do, turn on 'Previous Versions' in windows 7 (I think it's on by default in Windows 8), it will keep many copies of your saves going back a few weeks with any luck.

Maybe you could have even restored your saves with this feature..?

So I was attacked by a stupid glitch, which I proudly now call the "ass kraken". So I was on my way to Eve, and I landed. I had to reload a couple of quicksaves, then bam, the ass kraken just made my screen turn red, then white, then the game froze. I closed KSP and to my surprise ALL THE SHIPS in ALL OF MY SAVES have gone missing. The only things I still have left are EVAs and flags. Now I have no idea what to do now that all my work has disappeared...

News flash: It appears random techs from the tech tree appear to have "un-researched" them selves. Most of the tech nodes have a few parts needing entry purchases.

Also every kerbal assigned but my kerbal on EVA is missing an action.

My game also freezes when trying to go to different item tabs in the VAB.

For some ships I try to load, nothing happens.

LOL you actually called it the ass Kraken? I'm dying in laughter right now that you actually kept the name. Besides that you made a type in my username... :(

I also got this picture for the wiki (If you want to add it) and for anyone who wants to see the whole messed up research thing.

f4krHDp.png

Edited by Clockwork13
picture

Pretty tough dude. I don't know of anyway to fix your saves, if you had a save before you crashed you may be able to open up one of your KSP text documents and switch all of the parts that "un-researched" themselves back to it's previous state. I don't know where the text document is, but with the way the engine runs it will be in there somewhere. It may take some time, but it might just rescue your save.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hate to say it but I have also been struck by the *** Kraken. Several days ago KSP .23.0 crashed. I rebooted and my active flight missions except for flags disappeared. I had 2 of my orange suiters on continuing ground duty in rovers near the flight center so that they didn't come pop into any new vehicles. I also had 3-4 docked kerbals in flight on a station at a 150km and several inter planetary probes flying. All of these were vanished from the flight center completely. All of the crew were listed as MIA. I shut KSP down again and restarted and all the crew returned to active status however the missions were still gone. The quicksave is also missing however I accidentally hit it before shutting things down.