What will you do with the Claw?

DerpenWolf

As most of you know in the KSP-Nasa Asteroid mission one of the new parts will be "The Claw" which is for the most part a docking port that can clamp on to anything (you can apparently transfer fuel with it!). So my question for you is what will you do with this device. Personally I think this is going to be super useful for de-orbiting space junk and salvaging old spacecraft and spacecraft parts that lack docking ports that are broken, detached, or out of fuel!

Cf5YcBC.png

I'm sure I'll find all manner of silly things to do with it, but what I'm more interested in seeing is what Danny2462 comes up with. The master of breaking KSP plus a tool that sounds tailor-made for breaking the game is a combo that has the potential for fearsome (and hilarious) repercussions.

Edited by SkyRender

What is this Claw thing?

The Advanced Grappling Device, or “clawâ€Â, is your primary means of capturing an asteroid. The Claw works very much like a docking port, however, it doesn’t require a mate node to dock to. That means it can grab on to almost any object. Once grabbed on, you can even transfer fuel from the grabbed objects (provided they have any).

If Macey Dean were still around, he could use it for Hanland to siphon fuel from spiritwolf ships. :cool:

Normally, in a new career mode(and a "finished" one) I try to limit the amount of debris I put in LKO(I don't mind too much if there are in solar orbit or in a orbit I don't use).

Now, I won't care about that at all: I will alway have the claw to remove them all!(also, I think some of my design will be made to put more debris than needed, just to have something to do after unlocking all the parts in career).

Finally, sometime that I will have to do, is to make my (small)space station in LKO and redirect an asteroid toward it.

I could also try to land one on kerbin, if a find a way to do so.

Most of my upper stages tend to have about half their fuel left when their payload is delivered, so maybe I'll make some kind of debris handler to siphon out all that extra and deorbit the spent stages.

Somebody in another thread (can't remember the name) had the genius idea of using it to dock to the asteroid once it's in LKO and being a space station, which I would love to try.

Might have been me, I really want to use asteroids for station cores, but I also think they'll make excellent roaming hab cores if you build them up properly. Really depends on the mass you're moving around, but I'm going to try it.

Well since you can claw ANYTHING... It may make it "easier" to build bases on planets without mods than using docking ports. But more importantly, I'm gonna be able to go grab spent stages in orbit and bring them down into the atmosphere. Of course I won't do that with EVERYTHING as that would be very time consuming but I often end up with lots of big orange tanks flying around my stations, I'll clear those up so I don't crash into them when I come in to dock stuff

Eventually I'll use it to play "space janitors"

Some unlucky Kerbals are going to have the dull job of deorbiting old upper stages.

Came to say this. I`ll probably start by using is as a sweeping brush then I`ll see just how useful it is and go mad with designs.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.