[0.23.5] [WiP] RedAV8R Realism Packs for RSS - Last Update 18 June 2014

RedAV8R

KSP is locking up when loading the FASA Agena Engine FP config when I have these RSS FASA configs installed (loads fine otherwise). It doesn't seem that others are running into this so I'm not entirely sure what I've done wrong. Any ideas?

(I noticed that the RftS engine config also mods these engines, but the lockup still happens if I remove all FASA engines from RftS.)

KSP is locking up when loading the FASA Agena Engine FP config when I have these RSS FASA configs installed (loads fine otherwise). It doesn't seem that others are running into this so I'm not entirely sure what I've done wrong. Any ideas?

(I noticed that the RftS engine config also mods these engines, but the lockup still happens if I remove all FASA engines from RftS.)

Thankfully, but unfortunately I've lost my backup drive, with that I've had to start from scratch minus my 3 files in drop box. Doing some testings today and I found your problem earlier today. Appears that I didn't get a resource defined in the files. I am adding a file which will be called RSS_Resources.cfg that contains any other resources not found in RealFuels. That should clear up the lockup issue there. Updating the OP and uploading the file. Should be good to go in about 10min. Here is the file you need!

I personally don't use RftS, I use SFJackBauer's RealEngines, which doesn't, and won't, define anything in FASA. I will take a look at RftS though and see what I need to do to make sure there aren't any conficts with it, otherwise I'll have to require the use of SFJackBauer. I'll do my best to get that stuff up, if required, tomorrow.

Edited by RedAV8R

I thought I had made RftS not change any real engines from FASA (I assume the mini LR-91, etc, are all fair game since they're not actually real) but it looks like I still have a config for the Gemini lunar lander engine hanging around. Will fix.

I thought I had made RftS not change any real engines from FASA (I assume the mini LR-91, etc, are all fair game since they're not actually real) but it looks like I still have a config for the Gemini lunar lander engine hanging around. Will fix.

Nathan, sounds good...I was looking at the RftS and there are A LOT of engines that won't work now...unless I'm missing something else quite a few have a '_R' suffix on the names. But I don't see them renamed or new engines created elsewhere. What would be the prospects of incorporating the RftS FASA engines into the FASA pack itself?

The _R means I modify a copy, not the original, so as not to interfere with FASA realism patches.

The new engines are created in my local cfgs, which I haven't released with RftS because of FASA's licensing. I doubt Frizzank or I want RftS configurations of engines in FASA, but I was planning to ask whether he'd mind if I include the copy cfgs in RftS.

Sorry to sound ignorant, but how do I install the Engine Thrust Controller? Does it go in the Plugins folder directly in the KSP directory? And what for the CFG? :)

I simply created a folder ETC inside my GameData folder and put the plugin folder that unzips with the file into it (the ETC folder). The cfg is deleted per the instruction given in my original post.

The _R means I modify a copy, not the original, so as not to interfere with FASA realism patches.

The new engines are created in my local cfgs, which I haven't released with RftS because of FASA's licensing. I doubt Frizzank or I want RftS configurations of engines in FASA, but I was planning to ask whether he'd mind if I include the copy cfgs in RftS.

So are you going to no longer support FASA engines with RftSEngines, and rely on Redav8r's patch instead? And do you plan on continuing to work on RftSEngines?

So are you going to no longer support FASA engines with RftSEngines, and rely on Redav8r's patch instead? And do you plan on continuing to work on RftSEngines?

I believe all along the FASA engines in RftS was either a copies of the originals which due to licensing aren't being release yet or the unused alternate reality engines like the 'Minis' that are in FASA. All real engines found in FASA are being made to RO/RSS standards in my patch and can be used as such. Like the LR-91, LR-87, UA120X SRBs, etc. Talking with SFJackBauer he is NOT going to be including any FASA engines in his work so that Nathan and my FASA pack can be used instead.

Talking with Nathan we agreed to leave the FASA work out of RO for the time being due to being such a WIP and that FASA isn't done yet thanks to Frizzank. That way I can release updates to FASA instead of sending them to Nathan for him to release new versions of RO. At some point when Frizzank is done, and both Nathan and I declare the FASA work done he can include it in the RO so that additional downloads aren't required.

Edited by RedAV8R

brooklyn666: As RedAV8R states, RftS has not, for some time, touched any real FASA engines (with the stupid-typo exception I noted above), only the non-real ones (like mini Orbital Bertha, mini LR-91, Mercury LFE Retro, etc.). Yes, I do plan to keep working on RftSEngines (and RftS--it's been a month...), not least because I have to support all that ARM stuff now. :)

Three notes:

1. Your choice, but now that there are good procedural parts for most things, you might want to go back to giving parts their real diameters--when I redid Gemini as modulemanager patches I rounded to 3m, but now it might make sense to go back to the full 3.048m. Same for Agena's not-quite 1.5m diameter.

2. You might want to check in with MCT here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/71271

3. Shall I add those resources to the next RealFuels? That means one would be able to use other tanks for FASA engines, etc.

I dont mind you making your own cfg's, the realism mod is it's own special branch so I'm giving it special consideration I don't usually give to others.

Nathan Your free to redistribute if you wish, just as long as its designated as the realism version of FASA. I would prefer its just the configs so the models can stay updated but if you cant that's fine too.

P.S.

Also I added the retro pack and the utility section in there correct configuration for Gemini as well. I also properly scaled the model some compared to the original for more correct proportions.

Edited by frizzank

Coldblade, very likely this is a KSP .23.5 glitch that we will have to correct. Make sure otherwise you have the newest FASA. Since FASA is as much a WIP as my project is especially with KSP updates that then require FASA updates which in turn require my pack updates, it's a revolving cycle.

I honestly haven't really started work with .23.5 updates as I'm still working on getting my KSP up and running again, and recovering some lost files that have set me back. I hope to get started updating things Friday.

Don't mean to bother you, or ask for a solution. But I noticed on 0.23.5 that some FASA parts have weird collision. If I build the Saturn IB or the Gemini rocket, the pods fall through the rocket. It's weird to explain, I've been looking in the logs for something that may be more useful but I've found nothing. It only happens with FASA parts. I've had this problem with the Apollo SM and the Gemini Service Module.

Again, just making you aware of this, I don't expect a solution.

Coldblade, again, I haven't done any real sort of testing yet with .23.5 so this very well may be. Once I get up and running again, I'll start taking a good look. You do have the newest version of FASA correct???

Hi. I was wondering if the FASA and Laztek Space X realism packs will be made compatible with NathanKells RftS engine reconfigs for RO/MS18 techtree? It's the different gimbaling dll's that makes these incompatible right? In that case I guess it's on NathanKells end, I remember someone mentioned RftS was going to use KMgimbal by Dtobi in the future.

Hi. I was wondering if the FASA and Laztek Space X realism packs will be made compatible with NathanKells RftS engine reconfigs for RO/MS18 techtree? It's the different gimbaling dll's that makes these incompatible right? In that case I guess it's on NathanKells end, I remember someone mentioned RftS was going to use KMgimbal by Dtobi in the future.

ThorBeorn, NathanKell's RftS engine configuration is completely separate from my realism packs, and there will be no compatibility problems. My packs are based on actual engines, while RftS is an 'alternate reality' type mod and is making config copies as required such that RftS won't interfere with actual FASA operation and associated RO packs like mine.

One issue I do see that needs resolved or looked at is TechTree integration. I'll add that to my list.

When it comes down to it, at this time KM_Gimbal is the best gimbal that's available that can be hard coded that I know of...I have something I need to look at to confirm. Actually, It's already written into my FASA and LazTek packs, but commented out due to some incompatibilities with MechJeb...Now I say that, but MechJeb has had some upgrades as well recently, and I haven't gotten to test things out yet, so maybe it's working better at this time, I don't know. I'm hoping to start working again on it today and through this weekend with the advent of KSP .23.5. Hoping that .24 won't screw things up further.

RedAV8R: I think I may have misunderstood the OP :"These packs will not work with the RftS engine pack option with RO." I also had issues with gimbaling not working at all with RftS engines - until I deleted KM_Gimbal.dll from my gamedata folder. I will give it a try and report here if anything funny happens.

Edit: Sorry my memory is bad. It was the Tweakable Gimbal plugin that caused problems with RftS earlier NOT KM_Gimbal - which I currently use. Nevermind.

Edited by ThorBeorn