[1.0] StripSymmetry - remove symmetry (v1.6 - 2015-04-28 20:20 UTC)

Biotronic

Have you ever wanted to remove one of four symmetrically placed boosters? Now you can, with brand StripSymmetry! Just alt-shiftclick the offending symmetric set, and start removing!

More seriously, StripSymmetry lets you turn a set of symmetric parts into separate parts with the same locations.

This project is based on code written by futrtrubl.

Download here!

Alternative download on Dropbox

Curse page

KerbalStuff

Source on GitHub

Current Version: v1.6 (2015-04-28 20:20 UTC)

This project is made available under the Double-yoo Tee Eff public licence.

How to use

Hold left alt, left shift and left click on the offending part. A message will state that symmetry has been removed, after which you can move and remove parts to your heart's content. Oh, and don't forget to revel in your new-found powers.

Version History

v1.6 (2015-04-28 20:20 UTC)

• Updated for 1.0!

v1.5 (2014-12-16 23:23 UTC)

• Updated for .90!

Version 1.4 (2014-08-25 00:26 UTC)

• Fixed a bug in config handling.

Version 1.3 (2014-07-18 19:16 UTC)

• Updated for 0.24

Version 1.2 (2014-06-04 23:06 UTC)

• Fixed a bug where child parts were not stripped of symmetry.

Version 1.1 (2014-05-22 13:33 UTC):

• Moved config.xml to a folder where it does something sensible. You can now change the hotkey!

Version 1.0 (2014-05-20 20:16 UTC):

• First version! Thanks, futrtrubl!

Edited by Biotronic
New version!

I swear, are you a robot?!

Agh! My secret identity!

To be fair, futrtrubl did all the work on this one. I fixed a few bugs, but that's about two lines.

Edited by Biotronic

Nice, insta-dl! Especially useful if you want to place parts symmetrically but assign action group commands to individual parts ("brake left"), not the whole group (or did i miss something and that is already possible in stock?)

Thanks a lot. This addon I need. Is it possible to change the keyboard shortcut? I would like CTRL + click or CTRL + SHIFT + click. Thank you.

Ctrl+Shift+Click is "Select part as new Root" (if you have the SelectRoot plugin). But yes, rebindable keys (via text-editing a settings file is totally fine) would be nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I might be overstaying my welcome here (:D) but would there be a possibility to add symmetry to parts you've previously stripped symmetry from? Or indeed, any parts that are in the same place as the 'parent' part (e.g. previously symmetrical parts or 90 degree vertically snapped EdExt parts).. Not fussed if it's not doable, I know you're terribly busy with TweakScale right now so you may not have the time to look into it but yeah, it would be useful, I think.

And with that, I'm off to bed :P

Ok, I might be overstaying my welcome here (:D) but would there be a possibility to add symmetry to parts you've previously stripped symmetry from? Or indeed, any parts that are in the same place as the 'parent' part (e.g. previously symmetrical parts or 90 degree vertically snapped EdExt parts).. Not fussed if it's not doable, I know you're terribly busy with TweakScale right now so you may not have the time to look into it but yeah, it would be useful, I think.

And with that, I'm off to bed :P

It's... possibly sorta possible. Maybe I'll feel more positive towards doing after I've slept.

I absolutely love this mod, but I wanted to share a quirk I found. If you are removing the symmetry of an object, say a radial tank with an engine and rcs pod mounted on it, make sure you strip the symmetry of anything attached to the tank before stripping the tank itself. Not doing so has caused an issue where my craft file becomes corrupted.

I absolutely love this mod, but I wanted to share a quirk I found. If you are removing the symmetry of an object, say a radial tank with an engine and rcs pod mounted on it, make sure you strip the symmetry of anything attached to the tank before stripping the tank itself. Not doing so has caused an issue where my craft file becomes corrupted.

Thanks! Fixed in 1.2.

How about, if you have multiple-of-2 symmetry, keeping opposite things symmetrical, if you take one thing off. Does that make sense?

It's something I've considered. But then multiples of 3 should be accepted too, or 4. Basically, I need to think about a nice way to do it. I guess changing 'modes' with alt-shift-1, alt-shift-2, alt-shift-3...

Dangit, now I need to make 1.3.

• 2 weeks later...

Wonder if the keys are different in Linux? Can't seem to get the default keycombo to work :(

(EDIT) I checked many different key combos and found for Linux it's Left-ALT-CTRL-SHIFT-LeftCLICK to get it to work.

Edited by Eleven
Tested and reporting

• 1 month later...

The most impressive thing of this post is the “WTF public licenceâ€Â

It makes me laugh like a maniac

hahahaha, Just can not stop:sticktongue:

Thank you for the mod and the WTF public licence ,Biotronic

The most impressive thing of this post is the “WTF public licenceâ€Â

It makes me laugh like a maniac

hahahaha, Just can not stop:sticktongue:

Thank you for the mod and the WTF public licence ,Biotronic

That's one reason I love the license. Also that it's a fairly permissive one. If you find something that puts less restriction on use, please inform me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.