[0.23.5] MapShowNavBall - show navball by default

bawr

How difficult would it be to expand this simple, wonderful little mod to a couple other "should be default anyway" features?...

White Owl, you beated me on this (and I am truly happy you did :D), all those little nice mods could be nicely packed together.

Bawr, happy to find you are already considering that wonderful idea. I am considering if that idea may also bring to performance improvements. If each of your little utilities is loaded as a separate dll, each dll will have a dedicated memory area of at least one memory page. Given how short and effective your little mods are, I believe most of that space is empty, wasted. If packed together in a single dll, that dll will load in a single memory area, effectively using less pages for best efficiency.

White Owl, you beated me on this (and I am truly happy you did :D), all those little nice mods could be nicely packed together.

I agree in principle, although I intend to provide them as standalone versions for people to mix and match simply, and because the tiny versions serve as a useful, if short, code examples for starting modders (like myself). :D

Bawr, happy to find you are already considering that wonderful idea. I am considering if that idea may also bring to performance improvements. If each of your little utilities is loaded as a separate dll, each dll will have a dedicated memory area of at least one memory page. Given how short and effective your little mods are, I believe most of that space is empty, wasted. If packed together in a single dll, that dll will load in a single memory area, effectively using less pages for best efficiency.

As Don Knuth said, premature optimization is the root of all evil. More seriously though, the default page size is like 4kB almost everywhere, so... even if I make a thousand of those, that's still under 4MB of "wasted" memory. And if you take a look, both of my current mods are exactly 4kB in size. :wink:

Is it possible to turn an EVA'd kerbals lights on by default? I keep EVAing and wondering why it's so dark until I remember I have lights..

Certainly. Just watch the new thread I linked earlier, and give it a day or two.

• 1 month later...
I hereby necro this thread to ask if anyone else is using this with 0.24 and experienced any issues. I haven't seen anything obvious yet myself, but KSP does crash a lot and I don't want to assume this isn't contributing.

I can confirm that MapShowNavBall works properly in KSP 0.24 32-bit. No idea about x64, however.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Squad: Why is this not stock?!?

I would have to agree with this one

sooo glad I found this tiny little gem

edit: works for me as well in 1.0.2

again SUCH a difference man

Edited by hawk_za
added information

Now if someone could just figure out to default to HIDING the altitude, abort, velocity indicator at the top of the screen...That thing is SOOOO absolutely worthless to me...I've never had to use the abort button, and it is anoying when i accidently mouse over it, and the button pops out and overlaps where i have my BlizzyBar setup...Also the bottom popout is annoying as !@#@...Then there is the completely worthless velocity dial indicator...That is WAYYY too small to read, so I have to revert to other means (read: installing a mod) to know what my vertical velocity is...

The only thing I use it for is alttitude and maybe the gear, lights, brakes buttons once in awhile... And thats pretty much worthless, since I have that info displayed elsewhere due to having to install a mod to display vertical velocity... :(

It would be nice if Enhanced Navball could be configured to resize, hide, and slide the top GUI...THAT would make that mod even SWEETER than it already is... :thumbsup:

Edited by Stone Blue

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
23 minutes ago, i208khonsu said:

Anyone know of an alternative, or fix for this in 1.1?

@NathanKell  Refresh my memory, wasn't this functionality added the Physics Globals?

EDIT: I just remembered, I was thinking of the throttle position.

Edited by Alshain

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.