Stockalike RF Engine Configs v3.2.6 [01/20/19][RF v12]

Raptor831

Hi. I need help.

I do not see any effects on engines.

No fire and smoke. Thrust is available. Sound, too, is not.

There is smoke from the launch pad at the start.

Installed "RealFuels_v10.6.1", "RFStockalike_2_1_8" and "RealPlume" from last link just above.

Tested engines, no effects: "Skipper", "BACC "Thunper"", RT-5, MK-55, "Coxswaine", O-10, LV-1R, LV-T30, LV-909.

There is a sound and flames: 24-77, 56-8U and 48-7S.

My ModuleManager.ConfigCache

https://cloud.mail.ru/public/CAf2/X8mxtLUnG

what I did wrong?

Install smokescreen

thanks.

Install "SmokeScreen" does not resolve the problem.

I found in Google http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/129119, and

I delete "RealPlumes-RFStockalike" (from link above) and install "RealPlume-StockConfigs".

Now I have installed this mods:

RealFuels +RealPlume-StockConfigs + RealPlume + RFStockalike + SmokeScreen

The flame and the sound are present. I tested all engines from "Engine" tab. But I think "RealPlume-StockConfigs" not for RealFuels.

thanks.

Install "SmokeScreen" does not resolve the problem.

I found in Google http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/129119, and

I delete "RealPlumes-RFStockalike" (from link above) and install "RealPlume-StockConfigs".

Now I have installed this mods:

RealFuels +RealPlume-StockConfigs + RealPlume + RFStockalike + SmokeScreen

The flame and the sound are present. I tested all engines from "Engine" tab. But I think "RealPlume-StockConfigs" not for RealFuels.

IDK why you thought you needed to remove RealPlumes-RFStockalike i never mentioned that. Put that back and remove RealPlume-StockConfigs. You should have RealFuels +RealPlume-RFStockalike + RealPlume + RFStockalike + SmokeScreen

IDK why you thought you needed to remove RealPlumes-RFStockalike i never mentioned that. Put that back and remove RealPlume-StockConfigs. You should have RealFuels +RealPlume-RFStockalike + RealPlume + RFStockalike + SmokeScreen

Yes, I did. But the flames did not appear. But "RealPlume-StockConfigs" works. So I will try to start with "RealPlume-RFStockalike".

Tomorrow I will try again. Apparently I did something wrong...

By the way, you do not know, I got this bug, as if the ship moves forward from the physical model. The point of the center of mass (and the point of the camera) is far beyond the ship. After saving - loading all right. The shift occurs suddenly and for no reason. And when accelerating, and without traction, at different times.

I tried out the updated RFStockalike realplume configs from the last page, but I still don't get engine flames and effects for the LV909. I think it's mostly the same issue as Demonk.

I posted the ModuleManager.config for the LV-1 and you told me there was nothing wrong with it? So I really don't see whats going wrong here.

Please tell me what file you need to take a look at to locate the bug, then I'll post that up.

You need to install the RealPlume configs in the right spot to make them work, as well. I've had them installed, but in the wrong spot, and they didn't work for me. Dunno if there was something else going on, but install them just like the Stock configs they have available. Should be in /GameData/RealPlume/RealPlume-RFStockalike/. The end folder name doesn't really matter, IIRC, but it needs to be in that spot. This is all set up in the current repo, but that's not "release ready" at this point. But you can certainly use what's there. I'd just start from a fresh RF install because the install path will change with the next release of Stockalike.

Also, as mentioned on the OP, the effects missing is a known issue. It's a side-effect of moving all RF engines to the ModuleEnginesRF, which aren't effects-compatible with the original ModuleEngines. (ModuleEnginesFX ones are fine) If you're really itching to get those effects, write RealPlume configs for your favorite engines and please share. Check to make sure they aren't done already (file's in the repo), but I'd love any contributions. Svm420 has already gone above and beyond getting what we have (thanks again!), and I'm a bit pinned down with other stuff at the moment. So, if you wait fully on me, it might be a while. :wink:

Ugh. I finally decided to try playing around with this some and see if I could get igniters working. I had 120-some files in the /RealFuels folder. I removed them, and replaced them with 50-some files from the RFStockalike 2.8.1 zip. Now the game won't load at all. It hangs when trying to load the engine below, if I'm reading this right. Previously, everything worked just fine with RF EXCEPT only a couple of engines had igniters, ullage, etc. I'ma just leave it alone till someone who knows more than me drops me a line.

[LOG 20:59:19.752] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Squad/Parts/Engine/liquidEngine24-77/liquidEngine24-77/smallRadialEngine'
[LOG 20:59:19.793] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Squad/Parts/Engine/liquidEngine48-7S/liquidEngine48-7S/liquidEngineMini'
[LOG 20:59:19.842] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Squad/Parts/Engine/liquidEngine48-7S/liquidEngine48-7S/liquidEngineMiniRescale'
[EXC 20:59:19.858] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
RealFuels.ModuleEnginesRF.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node)
PartModule.Load (.ConfigNode node)
Part.AddModule (.ConfigNode node)
PartLoader.ParsePart (.UrlConfig urlConfig, .ConfigNode node)
PartLoader+.MoveNext ()
[EXC 20:59:19.862] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
PartLoader.GetDatabaseConfig (.Part p)
PartLoader.GetDatabaseConfig (.Part p, System.String nodeName)
DragCubeSystem.LoadDragCubes (.Part p)
Part+.MoveNext ()
[LOG 20:59:19.863] *U* Ullage constructor called on liquidEngineMiniRescale
[EXC 20:59:19.864] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
RealFuels.ModuleEnginesRF.Start ()

For reference, also have Stock Revamp, RealPlume

I assume you have that particular engine rescaled using tweakscale? I've had that issue myself too. I don't know what is causing this to happen but rescaling engines/RCS ports/solid motors leads to game crashes when loading the craft.

If this started to happen for you only after installing RFStockalike and that's the only change you've made, maybe this is the cause.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Raptor,

Is any work being done on removing the Real Plumes dependency?

I installed this mod in order to perform a RSS 6.4x Constellation-style mission for a YouTube video, but not having the engine plumes ruins the visual. I have enough mods as is, and shouldn't have to install another mod entirely (Real Plumes) as well as its dependency (SmokeScreen) just in order to get plumes for my engines. What's worse- correctly installing these two mods requires a custom set of configs AND is often buggy/problematic for many players (including me- I gave up on even trying it after looking at the relevant files- too much effort to do correctly for something I didn't even want in the first place).

This mod is called "RealFuels" not "real smoke effects." If I had wanted better smoke effects, I would have installed one of the many mods for that purpose in the first place. I installed this mod for the realistic engine performance, simple as that- I couldn't care less if the stock visuals are less than perfect (my computer simply does NOT have the free RAM to go installing visual mods...)

As always, thanks for the work in creating/maintaining this mod, but the whole "requires Real Plumes" thing ruins it entirely.

Regards,

Northstar

OK my previous issue with no effects was me just not having smokescreen... sorry for the confusion. Though now I have that installed, I've found another small issue so I'll put that up here. The plume position for the LH2/LOx configuration of the LV-909 engine seems to be wrong, and the plume is engulfing the whole engine. Please take a look.

Northstar: RF requires EFFECTS-style engine effects. If you don't want to use RealPlume, you're of course free to write your own EFFECTS nodes for engines.

I'm aware there are proximate reasons for requiring RealPlume. But the ultimate effect is that players have not one, but two new dependencies- which happen to be notoriously difficult to install correctly. There must be some work-around, or barring that, a way to return to the previous engine effects system (why was it even changed in the first place?)

Regards,

Northstar

I want to build new engine configs based on RFStockalike. Is it okay to simply release the modified configs with the original licence?
If you're actually modifying Raptor831's configs then you need to abide by the terms of the original license (and it's also nice to ask, which you've done.) If you're creating entirely new ModuleManager configs feel free to release them under whatever license you like.

Did I say anything about RealPlume? I said they require EFFECTS nodes, which are easy enough to make. That's your "workaround" right there. :)
Personally I'm doing fine with RealPlume, but for those that doesn't want that, it'd be nice if you or anyone else could plop down a template which ppl can reference when going on to modify the files.

I want to build new engine configs based on RFStockalike. Is it okay to simply release the modified configs with the original licence?

As regex said, per the license - which is CC BY-SA (which in quick terms means you can modify with proper credit for the originals but keeping the open license) - you can modify the configs and release them. And, on a personal note, you have my permission to do so. :) Always happy to see more options floating around, myself.

I'm aware there are proximate reasons for requiring RealPlume. But the ultimate effect is that players have not one, but two new dependencies- which happen to be notoriously difficult to install correctly. There must be some work-around, or barring that, a way to return to the previous engine effects system (why was it even changed in the first place?)

Regards,

Northstar

There is no hard dependency on any effects plugin. You'll find some older engines without effects, but that's simply to do with the decision to make RealFuels engines derive from EngineSolver (which derives from ModuleEngineFX). You can use RealPlume, HotRockets, any of their custom setups or derivatives, or roll your own effects. Real Plume has some nice templates for you to start with, even. I do agree that it's a bit annoying to lose effects, but I'm willing to deal with that.

And I've not found SmokeScreen to be RAM intensive. It's more processing-intensive, though, than stock, but that can be mitigated.

Personally I'm doing fine with RealPlume, but for those that doesn't want that, it'd be nice if you or anyone else could plop down a template which ppl can reference when going on to modify the files.

As mentioned above, there are some nice config starters from Real Plume (they're on the Stock plumes page, I believe). HotRockets has a nice tutorial on the SmokeScreen configs (from which both HotRockets and RealPlume derive their effects).

Edited by Raptor831
formatting

Rolling new mods is nice and all- but a lot of work, and not exactly the kind of thing I (or most other players) want to be setting out to do just to use a new mod.

I'm about as thrilled with RealPlume (or, apparently, HotRockets?) being necessary to still get engine effects as I am with the resurgence of the Mumps in North America, but seeing as (just like the anti-vaccer's) this is just a bit out of my and most other people's control and already grandfathered in at this point, is it possible that you (Raptor) could find a way to make setting up RealFuels+Stockalike to have engine effects again just a bit more user-friendly?

Perhaps creating an easy-to-follow guide on installing RealPlumes and SmokeScreen with the necessary configs might help, or better yet doing some of the work for us by having RealFuels+Stockalike port with a redistribute of RealPlumes with the correct configs already installed? (such that it's as simple for the user as just dragging all the folders in a single folder into the GameData folder, without having to go and separately locate/download dependencies and mod-specific configs for them) If nothing else, at least creating a direct link to the configs download on the first post rather than a link to a post with a link to the download would be somewhat helpful. Anything to reduce the grind involved in installing yet another mod- because some of us play with a lot of them! (and making us jump through too many hoops to get just one mod means we will be loathe to use that mod in the first place...)

As always, great work, and I appreciate all you guys do! I just hope you can make the installation process just a tad bit easier for us all here- I've already got books to read, an MCAT to study for, jobs to apply to, a military recruitment process to go through, and two mods of my own to help maintain as-is!

Best Regards,

Northstar

The link to the configs on the front page has stopped working at all (it gives a 404 Error), and there isn't even a link to SmokeScreen and RealPlumes there.

If RealPlumes/SmokeScreen with a special set of configs (or, alternatively, HotRockets- also with special configs?) is going to be necessary to restore the engine effects, can we please, please, please at least get a set of instructions and links on the first post of this thread?

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

Here to report a bug- it seems that using TweakScale to resize any of the engines, and then choosing any alternate fuel (a fuel other than the default for that engine- for instance LH2/LOX for the Skipper engine) will cause the engine to try and use the default fuel anyways, and the GUI to appear blank (with no info or options showing) upon reverting to the VAB. Loading up other craft, exiting the VAB, etc. will not fix the issue- the engine becomes unusable until the game is reset.

Regards,

Northstar

Here to report a bug- it seems that using TweakScale to resize any of the engines, and then choosing any alternate fuel (a fuel other than the default for that engine- for instance LH2/LOX for the Skipper engine) will cause the engine to try and use the default fuel anyways, and the GUI to appear blank (with no info or options showing) upon reverting to the VAB. Loading up other craft, exiting the VAB, etc. will not fix the issue- the engine becomes unusable until the game is reset.

Regards,

Northstar

Realfuels issue Nathan already knows

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.